Author Topic: Anyone have any uncommon/weird/controversial/obscure beliefs?  (Read 13997 times)

Offline Ħ

Anyone have any uncommon/weird/controversial/obscure beliefs?
« on: November 15, 2010, 03:06:02 AM »
I thought it would be fun to share.  This the the political/religious section, I posted this here.  While pretty much all of the threads here are debate threads, that's not what I'm going for here--just something a little more lighthearted.

What I'm looking for is any political conspiracy theories, controversial religious beliefs, even end times predictions.  Any weird, uncommon thing you believe.

For example, something I believe that's uncommon is that all angels are wingless males, and are similar in appearance to humans, except that they are much bigger in size, quite contrary to the winged, halo-wearing Cupid things that people usually think of.

So go!
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
Re: Anyone have any uncommon/weird/controversial/obscure beliefs?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 03:14:23 AM »
good question....

after much research and study, I came to the conclusion (based on I Pet 3:19, II Pet 2, Jude, book of Enoch, etc) that the "sons of God" in Gen 6 (a heb phrase only used of heavenly beings) is referring to angels who came and slept with women of earth, bore children (that became the nephilim/giants) and were banished to "tartarus" (rare term used in II Pet for hell and term used in book of Enoch that recounts this story). 

For me, that is some weird stuff, but only reasonable conclusion I could come to based on all the bibilcal and extra-biblical evidence

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 03:19:38 AM »
Some people find it weird that I don't believe in a magical zombie that is his own son.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 03:21:23 AM »
I believe there's a pretty good chance that we live in a simulated world.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 03:22:07 AM »
@ yesh
I was afraid to say that at first in the OP, but that's exactly what I believe too.  Pretty much word for word.  In fact, I would not be surprised if there is still angelic blood out there among men (although it would naturally have been reduced to a fraction) that makes them taller or stronger.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Ħ

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 03:24:39 AM »
Some people find it weird that I don't believe in a magical zombie that is his own son.

The magical zombie IS the son.  I think you meant to say "father."

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 03:28:09 AM »
@ yesh
I was afraid to say that at first in the OP, but that's exactly what I believe too.  Pretty much word for word.  In fact, I would not be surprised if there is still angelic blood out there among men (although it would naturally have been reduced to a fraction) that makes them taller or stronger.

cool...there is definately a few questions that are raised with this perspective, but it really fits in with so many scriptures.  also, I would assume that they were all destroyed in the flood (unless you assume Noah's family was a result of their offspring, which seems doubtful)

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 03:32:53 AM »

The magical zombie IS the son.  I think you meant to say "father."

I mean't what I said.

:neverusethis:

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 03:38:55 AM »
The whole "JESUS WAS A ZOMBIE LOL" thing is getting so old. Was kinda funny once. Is not funny anymore... And definitely isn't funny as a troll post.

I guess that's my uncommon belief...

Offline Ħ

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 03:44:16 AM »
@ yesh

cool...there is definately a few questions that are raised with this perspective, but it really fits in with so many scriptures.  also, I would assume that they were all destroyed in the flood (unless you assume Noah's family was a result of their offspring, which seems doubtful)

Oh.  Hmm....well, what about gargantuans like Goliath?  Do you think the Sons of God intermingled with the daughters of men a second time?

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 03:46:21 AM »
yeah, possibly.  hadn't thought about goliath

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 03:49:18 AM »
 I believe that my beliefs are wrong. That's definitely an uncommon view. I also don't believe in beliefs.

wtf is the internet?

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 03:55:13 AM »
The whole "JESUS WAS A ZOMBIE LOL" thing is getting so old. Was kinda funny once. Is not funny anymore... And definitely isn't funny as a troll post.

But I'm not trolling.

I believe that pretty much everything happens by chance, nothing is planned. The future is not set, there is no fate but what me make for ourselves. Everything is just one big coincidence and we're all just lucky that we exist and we should live in the now and not dwell the past because you only have this life to live so you might as well actually live your life. This is life. So go and have a ball. Because the world doesn't move to the beat of just one drum. What might be right for you may not be right for some. You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have... my uncommon/weird/controversial/obscure beliefs. Sit, Ubu, sit. Good dog.

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 04:00:01 AM »
I believe that my beliefs are wrong. That's definitely an uncommon view.

:lol  you win!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 04:49:48 AM »
I firmly believe in Karma and deal with it as seriously as if it was an actual government sector like the FBI or CIA.
Ridiculous.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 04:53:15 AM »

That's not uncommon.

I agree with yesh's interpretation of all those passages.  I mean, I agree that his interpretation is what those passages mean.  I don't believe that it's true, but that is neither here nor there.

For a Christian, I have a lot of weird beliefs.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 05:10:56 AM »

Let's keep it clean.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 06:06:45 AM »
I thought it would be fun to share.  This the the political/religious section, I posted this here.  While pretty much all of the threads here are debate threads, that's not what I'm going for here--just something a little more lighthearted.

What I'm looking for is any political conspiracy theories, controversial religious beliefs, even end times predictions.  Any weird, uncommon thing you believe.

For example, something I believe that's uncommon is that all angels are wingless males, and are similar in appearance to humans, except that they are much bigger in size, quite contrary to the winged, halo-wearing Cupid things that people usually think of.

So go!

Thanks to Supernatural, all angels look like Castiel (Misha Collins) to me now :lol

Oh and @CountVorhees: your phrasing could have been different :)

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 06:58:26 AM »
I thought it would be fun to share.  This the the political/religious section, I posted this here.  While pretty much all of the threads here are debate threads, that's not what I'm going for here--just something a little more lighthearted.

What I'm looking for is any political conspiracy theories, controversial religious beliefs, even end times predictions.  Any weird, uncommon thing you believe.

So go!

Thanks to Supernatural, all angels look like Castiel (Misha Collins) to me now :lol

Oh and @CountVorhees: your phrasing could have been different :)

Your spelling could have too. :P

Offline Vivace

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2010, 07:29:51 AM »
I thought all angels looked like Nicholas Cage.

:neverusethis:

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2010, 09:43:36 AM »
You all know my controversial beliefs on pedophiles.
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2010, 11:29:10 AM »
I'm a Deist.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2010, 11:29:52 AM »
I'm a meist.

But seriously, my beliefs aren't extremely common, as simple as they are.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Vivace

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2010, 03:45:39 AM »
I believe that people play cricket in heaven.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2010, 04:29:00 AM »
I believe that people play cricket in heaven.
No, that's Hell.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2010, 04:37:19 AM »
There's no such thing as hell.

It's just a device to make people join religions imo.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2010, 04:55:01 AM »

I wasn't debating the existence of Hell.  TBH, I don't think there is one, either.  But it wasn't invented to make people join religions (although some Christians do use it that way now).

Offline Ħ

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2010, 04:57:07 AM »
Speaking of Hell.

I believe it's just a container that holds everyone that died before the cross.  There's a nice section of Hell called Abraham's bosom and there's a bad side of Hell that people typically think of.  One day, Hell will be tossed into the lake of fire.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2010, 04:59:57 AM »
Speaking of Hell.

I believe it's just a container that holds everyone that died before the cross.  There's a nice section of Hell called Abraham's bosom and there's a bad side of Hell that people typically think of.  One day, Hell will be tossed into the lake of fire.
You're not the first person from whom I've heard that view.

I view Hell as a state of being, if anything.  That is, I don't think it is a place per se; but if there is an afterlife, then I think that "Hell" is an afterlife outside of the presence of God.

But my views are not fully formed on this subject, and there are a lot of ifs involved for me.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2010, 05:03:10 AM »
Since I've started hearing your beliefs, I've always found them to be very interesting.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2010, 05:18:37 AM »
I find it odd that some Christians don't believe in Hell (or some form of eternal damnation) when passages like this:

19 Jesus said, “There was a certain rich man who was splendidly clothed in purple and fine linen and who lived each day in luxury. 20 At his gate lay a poor man named Lazarus who was covered with sores. 21 As Lazarus lay there longing for scraps from the rich man’s table, the dogs would come and lick his open sores.

22 “Finally, the poor man died and was carried by the angels to be with Abraham. The rich man also died and was buried, 23 and his soul went to the place of the dead. There, in torment, he saw Abraham in the far distance with Lazarus at his side.

24 “The rich man shouted, ‘Father Abraham, have some pity! Send Lazarus over here to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue. I am in anguish in these flames.’

25 “But Abraham said to him, ‘Son, remember that during your lifetime you had everything you wanted, and Lazarus had nothing. So now he is here being comforted, and you are in anguish. 26 And besides, there is a great chasm separating us. No one can cross over to you from here, and no one can cross over to us from there.’

27 “Then the rich man said, ‘Please, Father Abraham, at least send him to my father’s home. 28 For I have five brothers, and I want him to warn them so they don’t end up in this place of torment.’

29 “But Abraham said, ‘Moses and the prophets have warned them. Your brothers can read what they wrote.’

30 “The rich man replied, ‘No, Father Abraham! But if someone is sent to them from the dead, then they will repent of their sins and turn to God.’

31 “But Abraham said, ‘If they won’t listen to Moses and the prophets, they won’t listen even if someone rises from the dead.’”

exist.

Obviously, when you take time to think about the existence of Hell and people actually going there, it's unnerving and uncomfortable. But that doesn't have any bearing on its reality, and sometimes it seems like people denounce Hell's existence based upon their feelings like that.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2010, 06:01:19 AM »

I wasn't debating the existence of Hell.  TBH, I don't think there is one, either.  But it wasn't invented to make people join religions (although some Christians do use it that way now).
My post wasn't directed at anyone though. :P

I'm not a religion person so I'll stay out of discussion. But the over-exaggerated scenery of hell used by some Christians to convince people to join their religion... it's annoying.

I was wondering though, can people inform me of hells in other religions? Not trying to derail the thread btw.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2010, 06:04:35 AM »
I'm not a religion person so I'll stay out of discussion. But the over-exaggerated scenery of hell used by some Christians to convince people to join their religion... it's annoying.

Yep, never go by man's word on that stuff. God's Word is the Truth according to Christianity.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2010, 07:35:49 AM »
i'm a pure pagan. sun makes me happy, easter makes me believe there is hope and life will start again. there is no need for god but sun.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh