Author Topic: Coldplay > The Beatles  (Read 14747 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Coldplay > The Beatles
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2010, 11:09:41 AM »
Semi related, it looks like iTunes is finally going to have The Beatles.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11763650

That very interesting erha.  I'd be interested to see when it is available, what the sales will be.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2010, 11:26:20 AM »
I will never understand what the public sees in The Beatles. To me they're just a band. Nothing really remarkable or extraordinary about them. Never seen much spontaneity or adventurousness in their music. They're just another band to me. If anybody wants to show me something that they think will change my mind, then by all means. I am open to it. But the only song I've heard by them that I genuinely liked and would go back to listening to a few times is While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

And Brando was just another actor, and Jordan was just another basketball player.

McCartney & Lennon forgot more great melodies and songs than your 10 favorite bands will ever write COMBINED. This I am quite sure of.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2010, 11:28:22 AM »
...I heard that Paul McCartney can't even read sheet music.  olol

How is this relevant?  Holy fuck, there's a lot of ignorance in this thread.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2010, 11:36:12 AM »
Lol what, Petrucci can't read either if I recall correctly.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2010, 12:35:56 PM »

How is this relevant?

It's not; he is merely grasping at straws now, by trying to discredit the Beatles any way he can.  It's both funny and sad.

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2010, 12:40:42 PM »
kanye west is just a gay fish
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline Ħ

« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2010, 12:41:42 PM »
You guys are so stiffnecked and stubborn about your favorite band.  I made a jestly snipe at them (hence the "olol") and you take it personally, and start acting arrogant, highminded, and pompous, because a simpleton like me couldn't possibly comprehend the "genius" of this overblown boy band that writes boring, bland "music."
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2010, 12:45:06 PM »
Butt hurt much?

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2010, 12:46:22 PM »
You guys are so stiffnecked and stubborn about your favorite band.  I made a jestly snipe at them (hence the "olol") and you take it personally, and start acting arrogant, highminded, and pompous, because a simpleton like me couldn't possibly comprehend the "genius" of this overblown boy band that writes boring, bland "music."
Ok this is just stupid, I don't even like the beatles but, boring? bland? Come on, you got to understand the impact they had back in the day, they were new and original.
Have you actually listened to anything by them? because after hearing their music you can't say they're bland.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2010, 12:48:22 PM »
Have you actually listened to anything by them? because after hearing their music you can't say they're bland.
I've worked my way through their past discography these past few months, so you can't pull the "ignorance" card.  I did my homework BEFORE I decided that they belong in the attic.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2010, 12:50:02 PM »
You can get as pissy as you want, but the fact that you are calling them an overblown boy band just shows that you don't get it.  Sorry if that sounds condescending, but it is what it is.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2010, 12:52:13 PM »
It's time to pull off the shade that the media and popular culture have draped over your eyes.  Wake up.  This is reality--The Beatles SUCK.

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2010, 12:52:44 PM »
It's time to pull off the shade that the media and popular culture have draped over your eyes.  Wake up.  This is reality--The Beatles SUCK.
GTFO

Edit: also how old are you, because I know a lot of teenagers that think they are so EDGY because they hate the beatles.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2010, 12:54:04 PM »
Oh this is getting good!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2010, 12:55:17 PM »
Yeah, I am pretty sure you are either just fishing or trolling now.  Good day, sir. :biggrin:

Offline Ħ

« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2010, 01:00:49 PM »
Normally I'm a nice guy, and I haven't really gotten into any spats here.  But when I calmly suggest that The Beatles will probably not be as big as they are now, I get a bunch of people hollering at me saying I have no concept of timeless music and stuff like that.  In my other Beatles thread, when I said that I was exploring The Beatles, and I wanted to know what made them so great, I had the same experience--people told me that since it wasn't clicking with me, I therefore had no taste in music.  I was pissed when I entered the forum, and your insulting comments only made me more so.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2010, 01:04:21 PM »
You're a nice guy! You're a nice guy! But that doesn't fuckin' cut it when you're fucking around with The Beatles like this on the forums!

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2010, 01:05:59 PM »
I think your problem is that you tend to spin things the wrong way. I'm sure no one actually said that you have no taste in music. Knowing the way Kev at least might word something similar I'm almost guessing the response went something like "There is so much variety in the Beatles' music that if you can't find anything you like then I have no idea what to tell you".

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2010, 01:06:37 PM »
Hey, you are the one that started that other thread by saying:

Their songs are so bland and tasteless.  The lyrics all revolve around the same concepts.  Aside from some of the bass lines, I probably could learn how to play any of their songs on each instrument in about a month or two, and I don't even play with those instruments.

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2010, 01:06:45 PM »
Normally I'm a nice guy, and I haven't really gotten into any spats here.  But when I calmly suggest that The Beatles will probably not be as big as they are now, I get a bunch of people hollering at me saying I have no concept of timeless music and stuff like that. 
And saying they Suck won't help you either.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #90 on: November 16, 2010, 01:08:43 PM »
Fine.  Send me to DTF hell because I don't like The Beatles.

Offline ehra

« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2010, 01:09:20 PM »
But when I calmly suggest that The Beatles will probably not be as big as they are now

If it helps, while I think some of the other things you've said are near bat shit insane I do still stand by agreeing with you earlier about this. They're likely going to remain a household name, but, 50+ years down the line, they are absolutely not going to be listened to as much, by as many people, and as often as they have been 40 years ago or are now. Just because something's timeless doesn't mean it's always going remain popular.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #92 on: November 16, 2010, 01:11:54 PM »
It's time to pull off the shade that the media and popular culture have draped over your eyes.  Wake up.  This is reality--The Beatles SUCK.

And I'm pretty sure the media and pop culture today is the complete opposite of the Beatles.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: November 16, 2010, 01:38:54 PM »
I will never understand what the public sees in The Beatles. To me they're just a band. Nothing really remarkable or extraordinary about them. Never seen much spontaneity or adventurousness in their music. They're just another band to me. If anybody wants to show me something that they think will change my mind, then by all means. I am open to it. But the only song I've heard by them that I genuinely liked and would go back to listening to a few times is While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

And Brando was just another actor, and Jordan was just another basketball player.

McCartney & Lennon forgot more great melodies and songs than your 10 favorite bands will ever write COMBINED. This I am quite sure of.
Forgot more?

Well either way, my apologies. I forgot that music was objective and there is only one right opinion about everything. This is DTF after all.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2010, 01:43:56 PM »
wants to get together with Martin to make one of the best albums of all time.

I'm not one to do this, but I have to know that I wasn't the only person to notice this.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2010, 01:44:51 PM »
Butt hurt much?
Almost every poster in this thread is butt hurt. This thread was absolutely stupid in the first place. Its rather absurd how someones musical opinion makes a news website in the first place, let alone the fact that this thread was made.

Offline Keyboardframe

• Banned from P/R
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2010, 01:45:56 PM »

Forgot more?

Well either way, my apologies. I forgot that music was objective and there is only one right opinion about everything. This is DTF after all.

lol your a silly goose :-* :tick2:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 03:24:10 PM by Keyboardframe »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: November 16, 2010, 04:00:33 PM »
LieLow.  Music is subjective but you can't deny their record and how, to this day they sell better than most in the industry today.  I like other music so much more but I can't deny what this band has meant to fans and musicians alike.  You just can't dismiss them because you don't like them.

I hate Nirvana, but I can't dismiss their impact on the music scene.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: November 16, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
LieLow.  Music is subjective but you can't deny their record and how, to this day they sell better than most in the industry today.  I like other music so much more but I can't deny what this band has meant to fans and musicians alike.  You just can't dismiss them because you don't like them.

I hate Nirvana, but I can't dismiss their impact on the music scene.
I didn't dismiss their impact on music. It's just that they really do nothing that speaks to me at all.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: November 16, 2010, 04:25:40 PM »
I get you. It's just that no other band that is defunct, still sells like they do.  It will diminish in time but for 40 years they have staying power that no band can match.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: November 16, 2010, 05:35:25 PM »
Speaking of The Beatles, they're now on iTunes, finally. inb4lololiTunes

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: November 16, 2010, 06:03:59 PM »
BrotherH, I don't really like the Beatles very much either. Sure, I have a few albums and like a few songs, but I wouldn't consider them anywhere near a "favorite."  In fact, I'm pretty sure their influence is overstated, and most of my favorite bands would probably exist, Beatles or no Beatles. But the way your reacting in this thread is really, really silly.