Author Topic: Coldplay > The Beatles  (Read 14746 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Coldplay > The Beatles
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 09:31:33 AM »
Kayne West = douchebag

Coldplay = pretty good band whose last album was really good

The Beatles = too awesome for words

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 09:32:35 AM »
Kayne West = douchebag

This, except i've never cared much for Coldplay.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 09:39:40 AM »
Bwah?! Oh Kanye...when will you learn? :facepalm:

I do agree, though, that the last album (and EP, and some related B-sides) were pretty good. I even went as far as to make a compilation disc of nearly everything they recorded during that year onto one CD (fit to about 75-77 minutes too), and it makes for a great listen.

I just don't think you could compare Coldplay to The Beatles, maybe not even in 30 years. You could probably compare them more to U2, especially since they have more of their sound than they do The Beatles'.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 09:44:58 AM »
lolwtf

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 09:48:28 AM »
I was more amused by this:

"Skin flick company Vivid Entertainment is to make an adult spoof of the Kanye West and Taylor Swift spat. “We're always analysing news stories for their movie potential,” said boss Steve Hirsch. “The Kanye/Taylor feud has high visibility, is filled with passion and is something we believe that fans of adult films would enjoy.” [Contact Music]"

But yeah, Coldplay are a decent band whose last album was pretty good, but they are nowhere near on the same level as The Beatles.  In 30 years they won't be considered close.  U2?  More likely.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 10:00:20 AM »
They won't be on the same level as U2 either.  You gotta remember that U2 is in the same stratosphere as The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Bruce Springsteen, etc., and does anyone really see Coldplay getting on that level?  Ever?

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 10:03:31 AM »
Imma letchyou finnish, but lemme just say... the Beatles were one of the best bands of all time. 

Coldplay is just a very run-of-the-mill pop band with a few catchy melodies.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 10:18:26 AM »
I can see Coldplay getting close if they keep releasing more ambitious well-received albums.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 10:26:28 AM »
His opinion is just as worthless as every other music fan's.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 10:39:03 AM »
His opinion is just as worthless as every other music fan's.
This.

Coldplay is a band I actually like a little. Parachutes and their last album and EP are pretty good, but they're nowhere as big as The Beatles.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 12:28:17 PM »
Well, this thread gave me a good chuckle.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 12:43:05 PM »
Have Coldplay ever been bigger than Jesus? I don't think so.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 12:44:58 PM »
wants to get together with Martin to make one of the best albums of all time.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 12:46:04 PM »
The Sun

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 01:30:44 PM »
They won't be on the same level as U2 either.  You gotta remember that U2 is in the same stratosphere as The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Bruce Springsteen, etc., and does anyone really see Coldplay getting on that level?  Ever?

Not in my eyes they're not.

I wouldn't put U2 anywhere near a greatest band of all time list.

Ugh. Just thinking about that annoys me.
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 01:33:12 PM »
Meh. I don't care for either band. Dislike Coldplay more though.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2010, 01:44:54 PM »
Viva La Vida is a spectacular album in my eyes (and its accompanying EP is fantastic as well) but what a silly thing for Kanye to say.

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 02:20:25 PM »
No.
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline jag66

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2010, 02:31:38 PM »
Kanye, what a troll....

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2010, 05:10:41 PM »
William Hung > Kanye West

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2010, 05:13:56 PM »
William Hung > Kanye West

:rollin
Kayne West = douchebag

1000%
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2010, 05:17:39 PM »
William Hung > The Beatles OH!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2010, 05:29:45 PM »
The Beatles were good for their time.  In a couple generations, I think the Beatles will be regarded as we view the jazz artists.  They'll be respected, but will have a much smaller, refined following, and not as many people will care.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2010, 05:31:51 PM »
Heck, I already don't care about the Beatles.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2010, 05:36:53 PM »
I dunno.... universally speaking, I think there are more people that care about the Beatles NOW than when they were still making records.  Same can be said for Led Zeppelin and Mozart.   Are they still around to perform and write new material?  No, but they're still as popular and relevant as ever, maybe even moreso
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2010, 06:04:03 PM »
'Parachutes' and 'A Rush of Blood to the Head' feature well written, catchy pop tunes with some real feeling in it. After that I gave up. 'X&Y' was Coldplay at their most boring, and 'Viva La Vida' is just an overproduced piece of garbage. What a pompous snoozefest, I can't stand it at all. Especially the title track makes me cringe.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2010, 06:28:47 PM »
The Beatles were good for their time.  In a couple generations, I think the Beatles will be regarded as we view the jazz artists.  They'll be respected, but will have a much smaller, refined following, and not as many people will care.

I really disagree.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2010, 06:35:02 PM »
I can see where BrotherH is coming from though.  However, the iconic images of the Beatles, classic rock radio, and the cult surrounding John Lennon's death will keep the Beatles in everyone's minds longer than he anticipates.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2010, 06:35:42 PM »

I really disagree.

I don't mean that they'll be any less respected.  If anything, they'll still be more respected than modern bands and future bands.  When you think about it, older music is always respected at a higher level.  Classical > Jazz > Classic Rock > Modern; as far as popular respect goes.  I know I skipped a bunch of genres....but I just wanted to show that age and antiquity clinches a musical group into a place of reverence above everything else.  See--The Beatles are just a drummer, two guitarists, and a bassist.  I bet you could assemble together the greatest lineup imaginable, playing the same instruments, and it is literally impossible for them to be "better" than The Beatles in the public's eye.

But my main point is that while The Beatles will be held at a higher state of respect, popular culture and media will steer the public in a modern direction, as it always has.  Since all those that were alive during The Beatles' career will have died, you will no longer have people listening to them for nostalgia's sake, and their fans will drop substantially.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
"The Beatles" and "Led Zeppelin" have been dead for a while, in terms of an actual band.  But that hasn't stopped parents from handing the music down to their children and so on and so on.  Thats how the old bands stay alive, really.  Pop culture have failed in steering people permanently away from the Beatles for forty years, and I have a feeling they will continue to fail.

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2010, 08:58:16 PM »
'Parachutes' and 'A Rush of Blood to the Head' feature well written, catchy pop tunes with some real feeling in it. After that I gave up. 'X&Y' was Coldplay at their most boring, and 'Viva La Vida' is just an overproduced piece of garbage. What a pompous snoozefest, I can't stand it at all. Especially the title track makes me cringe.
Viva La Vida is their only good album.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2010, 10:19:21 PM »
I don't mean that they'll be any less respected.  If anything, they'll still be more respected than modern bands and future bands.  When you think about it, older music is always respected at a higher level.  Classical > Jazz > Classic Rock > Modern; as far as popular respect goes.  I know I skipped a bunch of genres....but I just wanted to show that age and antiquity clinches a musical group into a place of reverence above everything else.  See--The Beatles are just a drummer, two guitarists, and a bassist.  I bet you could assemble together the greatest lineup imaginable, playing the same instruments, and it is literally impossible for them to be "better" than The Beatles in the public's eye.

But my main point is that while The Beatles will be held at a higher state of respect, popular culture and media will steer the public in a modern direction, as it always has.  Since all those that were alive during The Beatles' career will have died, you will no longer have people listening to them for nostalgia's sake, and their fans will drop substantially.

You have the most admirably stupid opinion in this entire thread, and that's including Kanye.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2010, 10:29:08 PM »

I really disagree.

Are you saying The Beatles were just a fad and that their music wasn't truly some of the ever, regardless of time period?

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2010, 01:46:34 AM »
"The Beatles" and "Led Zeppelin" have been dead for a while, in terms of an actual band.  But that hasn't stopped parents from handing the music down to their children and so on and so on.  Thats how the old bands stay alive, really.  Pop culture have failed in steering people permanently away from the Beatles for forty years, and I have a feeling they will continue to fail.

Yeah, fuck The Man trying to do that to our beloved classic bands, and fuck the pointless hatred.