Author Topic: Marching Band performing Dream Theater! (+ 2 splitscreen & 1 live band cover)  (Read 4928 times)

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
After lookíng for some covers on youtube I found, all from 2010 sorting when the date they were put up,

One of the most ambitious and awesome covers I've seen in my entire DT-fan life, a marching band performing parts of IWBY, Vacant and Ouverture 1928, look for yourself, it's amazing! I promise you!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehtzbvP6erM

Some guys from Asia (AdliB) covering Sacrificed Sons on Split Screen, this almost is in par with the Thiagocampos cover of Metropolis part 1 I think, at least instrumentally, the vocals could have been a bit better but they're affordable, anyway here is it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P_RVQCKoCM

This is some other splitscreen cover guys called Threat Jam, who in their first cover performs Another Day, again another top notch performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mz7fJ78_ho

And finally, a live performance, without a keyboard but with an added guitar instead, which makes it even more metal, cover of Lie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhFbJPi8c8g The vocals are maybe not the best but when he tries the higher register it sounds suprisingly good to a song like Lie, the instrumenal part of the cover is good and I really like the the soloing and the part from 5:25 - 5:52.

it's when I watch GOOD and DIFFERENT (like the ambitious marching band ) covers like these above, that my adminiration for Dream Theater, which is already really high goes up even more, because you learn to appriciate the complexity of DT:s music and how rich it is in its variety. Does this apply to you as well?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Really only the first one didn't do anything for me. I appreciate the effort, but it was just too chaotic and too off-pitch.
The "Lie" cover was awesome. Definitely not a song you see covered much (whereas 8V gets covered a lot it seems, I guess because the songs are somewhat easier to play).

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, the marching band one didn't do a whole heck-of-a-lot for me, but I guess it's more creative than watching another band just do Star Wars or something for the 10,000th time.

Offline kirbywelch92

The marching show was very well designed, just not executed very well at all. Which is understandable considering it's a high school band.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Yeah, I dunno. I think there is a natural limit to what a marching band can faithfully cover. Stuff like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryFMGu45aB4

works well, but music that involves a lot of drums and strings isn't going to work well.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Viper45

Yeah, I dunno. I think there is a natural limit to what a marching band can faithfully cover. Stuff like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryFMGu45aB4

works well, but music that involves a lot of drums and strings isn't going to work well.

rumborak

Eh, there is a natural limit to what a high school marching band can faithfully cover.  Get a top of the line drum corps, and anything is possible :)

That really was pretty good for a highschool band.  It's just awesome that they did a Dream Theater show at all.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
Jesus, quit whining people. That was damn cool. Far cooler then anything my high school marching band ever did.

Offline blackngold29

Jordan just tweeted he likes the marching band video.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
I imagine it's cuz I posted it on his Facebook right after seeing this thread. Hopefully you guys will be nicer now!

Offline Ħ

I'm sorry.  I was in marching band and they were terrible.  Not only musically, but visually too.  Spacing was uneven.  Shoulder orientation was really bad.  People were freaking talking.  Before Vacant, a lot of players rose their horns on the wrong cue.  Even though it's high school, it was inexcusably sloppy.

I don't think there's a good excuse just cause they're in high school.  This show was from my senior year, which was the worst of the four years I took part in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5zfvbdfZnw
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 05:03:53 PM by BrotherH »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
Its cool that they did a DT program, but my god that was pretty bad. I couldn't make it through the whole thing.

Offline The Letter M

I, too, was in marching band in high school, and I do agree with some of the sentiments here about their proficiency... it's a bit, well, lacking. Good song choices, though, and I think it polished, the show would be ace.

This reminds me of the time a local marching band did Symphony X's "The Odyssey". It was pretty awesome and I was blown away too! (well, for being a small Group 1 band... I could only imagine what a show like that, and the DT show above, would sound like with a good Group 3 of 4 band!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmT-UkTWTLE

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
There's actually like 7-8 different marching band performances of DT on YouTube.  I found one of "6:00" and "Take the Time" last week!  I think they are really awesome!  
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline MatheusManente

This is some other splitscreen cover guys called Threat Jam, who in their first cover performs Another Day, again another top notch performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mz7fJ78_ho

Hey Perfey, thanks a lot for posting this link here!

I'm the bassist of this video, If anyone has comments of sugestions about it, that would be nice to hear!

Thank you guys!
- "Matt" Manente

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni

Hey Perfey, thanks a lot for posting this link here!

I'm the bassist of this video, If anyone has comments of sugestions about it, that would be nice to hear!

Thank you guys!
- "Matt" Manente

Cool.  Thanks for posting here.  I had a question.  Who suggested the Dream Theater theme?  Obviously, DT is not everyone's cup of tea and not everyone even knows who they are.  How did you get the teachers to go along with the idea?  Did all the students embrace the idea?
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline MatheusManente

Cool.  Thanks for posting here.  I had a question.  Who suggested the Dream Theater theme?  Obviously, DT is not everyone's cup of tea and not everyone even knows who they are.  How did you get the teachers to go along with the idea?  Did all the students embrace the idea?

Thanks for cheking it out!  ;D

Well, the guy who organized the project at first was the guitarist, Felipe Vesh.
He suggested Another Day. But all the guys like Dream Theater (for example, it's one of my main influences) and easily embraced the idea.

We plan to cover other Dream Theater songs in the future, but we're also going up for another bands as well. Next videos will feature songs by Toto and Kansas. Mostly we're focused on progressive rock/metal, but we're starting slow before we go to more technical songs.

Thanks again man!

Offline blackngold29

Thank you guys!
- "Matt" Manente
Cool cover. Is English the singer's second language? He has an accent, but pulled off some tough parts pretty well.

Oh and I put the video on YtseTimes. Looking forward to more!

Offline jsem

The symphony x one was pretty epic!

Offline MatheusManente

Cool cover. Is English the singer's second language? He has an accent, but pulled off some tough parts pretty well.

Oh and I put the video on YtseTimes. Looking forward to more!

Heeey, thanks for spreading this video! Really!!
I'm happy you like it!!

Well, we're all from Brazil, got some portuguese accent, but I don't actually know how many languages he speaks.
The singer was in one bad day when he recorded this song. He was a little sick, but we thought that the voice track we recorded was good enough for a first video...

Offline blackngold29

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCiMjwM2Xos

Here's an old cover, but I just found it so I felt like sharing. 8-big version of Honor Thy Father.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
Marching band performing I Walk Beside You, Vacant, and Overture 1928:
A cool idea if a bit underwhelming. I don't know much about school marching bands though (it's more of an American thing, I think; we don't have them at schools here), so I guess you can take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Split screen covers of Sacrificed Sons and Another Day:
Very well done, particularly the Sacrificed Sons one. They even nailed the tones of the instruments. I'd love to see those guys make more covers.

Live cover of Lie:
The lead guitarist was amazing, but the singer was...well, not my cup of tea. I would have liked to have seen more creativity with a two-guitar live version of Lie with respect to managing the keyboard parts. Also, how was the crowd not going nuts at the end of that? Even if I didn't know the song, I would have been losing it seeing a guy perform so well at a small venue like that.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline blackngold29

I put this in the other thread, but it might attract more attention here:

I was thinking of doing a "Best Covers of the Week" article for YtseTimes where we pick the best few covers that have been uploaded to the web. If you go to YouTube and search for Dream Theater, then click on 'search options' and then 'upload date' you can see that there are quite a few. Not sure if I have time to do it myself though, Anybody out there that likes to watch covers and has somewhat of a good grasp on good musicianship?

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni

Eh, there is a natural limit to what a high school marching band can faithfully cover.  Get a top of the line drum corps, and anything is possible :)

Teal Sound did a DT Show this year, but I don't know if you'd call them a "top of the line" drum corps.