Author Topic: Why I listen to live albums *rant  (Read 3495 times)

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
Why I listen to live albums *rant
« on: November 13, 2010, 11:10:38 AM »
I never understood folks who, after hearing a live album or show, exclaim "That was great!  The songs sounded EXACTLY like they do on the album!"   

For me, I would prefer if a band's live performances do NOT come off as note-for-note replications of the original studio recordings.  A good live recording should bring a different perspective, for example emphasizing a bassline or drum pattern that might've gotten obscured in the studio mix.  Or an adventurous guitarist who will put a different accent on his solo or riff.  All coming from how a player might feel on a particular day, thereby lending a totally different atmosphere to an otherwise familiar song. 

I especially love bands that "deconstruct" a song, taking it apart into pieces in a live setting and then putting it back together again.  Taking an instrumental section and extending it out... toying with the guitar riff, or changing up the rhythm midstream, or inverting the bassline, or even all of the above.  Even if the playing goes nowhere, I'd much prefer a failed experiment than no experiment at all.  When a band does this, you can almost see the creative process happening right before you. 

I was listening to Zep's Dazed and Confused on a 1975 bootleg tape when, during the instrumental, Page breaks out into a familiar riff.   I'm thinking, where do I know this?  It turned out to be an embryonic version of Achilles Last Stand that Page had been working on a year before they recorded it for Presence.  Plant hadn't even written lyrics for it and was just ad libbing some nonsense to it, which was actually quite cool.   Bands like Zep, Deep Purple and King Crimson did this all the time.

Maybe it's just the prog-snob in me versus a kind of "pop" music mentality, but for some reason, many fans feel that the "holy grail" of being able to perform live is to get a perfect reproduction of how they originally heard the songs on the studio album, sound-wise AND playing-wise.  To me, it just defeats the purpose.     

"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saėns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Seventh Son

Re: Why I listen to live albums *rant
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 11:17:50 AM »
Gotta disagree with you. There are bands that you go see because of the energy and intensity they can bring like a lot of Hardcore Punk bands or Death Metal. Or sometimes its just the atmosphere that the band brings out live that matters. Sometimes its not always a good thing to fix something that isn't broken  ;)

Not saying its a bad idea to experiment, but there are bands that tend to take it REALLY overboard, you know?
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 11:19:21 AM »
It seems like it's the prog fans who revel in the musicians' abilities to play the song "perfectly" live and hate anything that takes away from that such as crowd noise on live recordings.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 11:21:49 AM »
It seems like it's the prog fans who revel in the musicians' abilities to play the song "perfectly" live and hate anything that takes away from that such as crowd noise on live recordings.
This
I LOVELOVELOVE hearing crowd noise. It adds a level of energy you don't really get otherwise. But I'm from a metal background and not really prog so :P
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 11:31:29 AM »
Crowd noise is awesome. It's pathetic sounding when you listen to the chorus of Take The Time from CiM and there's just NOTHING from the crowd!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 12:02:33 PM »
Completely agreed LV. I went to 3 gigs in 3 nights this week.

Linkin Park put on an excellent show, and while they weren't spontaneous and didn't really jam or anything, they did play most of the songs differently to the album versions, extending sections, changing instrumentation, etc. Really adds to the live experience.

Amorphis also put on a great show and are great live performers. The one thing I was disappointed with is the way they don't really change up the songs at all, apart from a couple of songs where they got the crowd to sing the chorus a few times. Their oldest songs sound much fuller live, but other than that it's pretty much direct replication. Other than that it was an excellent show, it was just mildly disappointing in that regard.

Then Freak Kitchen last night were just so much fun. There was lots of banter with the audience, even during songs, the songs were changed a bit, sections were extended, it was all round a good laugh and the most live feeling of the three gigs.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 12:16:35 AM »
I almost ALWAYS prefer to hear songs performed live rather than on the record for most bands that I listen to.

In the cases where I don't, more often than not it's a nostalgia issue for me.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 12:24:31 AM »
I'm all for crowd cheers and singing but when it comes to clapping and attempting to keep time that just gets annoying since the crowd is NEVER able to keep time.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 12:37:24 AM »
I'm all for crowd cheers and singing but when it comes to clapping and attempting to keep time that just gets annoying since the crowd is NEVER able to keep time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5KTlBQzYSs
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 12:43:35 AM »
That is amazing! :lol

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 12:58:05 AM »
I agree with LV. The only live albums I listen to are jazz records, because jazz songs are completely different every time they're performed.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 03:20:46 AM »
I'm not a big fan of live albums, I almost always prefer to listen to the studio versions. But I love to watch live DVDs, there's something about that visual aspect that gets lost on a live album.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 08:01:18 AM »
I grew up listening to a lot of live albums, including a lot of prog, so maybe I'm the exception to the rule about prog fans always wanting things "perfect" even on a live recording.  For me, it's interesting and exciting to hear what a band can do in real time.  On the album, there are two guitar parts and three keyboard parts; what are they going to do when they play it live?  

I'm looking for a good performance of the song, that's it.  If they can make it sound pretty much like the album, but with the intensity and excitement of a live performance, great.  If they have to rearrange things because it's a given that they can't pull off what they did in the studio, that can also be very cool, and I'm curious to hear what they come up with.

I don't listen to a lot of live albums from newer bands, which is interesting, because I can still pull out the old live albums I grew up with and spin them end to end.  Maybe it's the nostalgia factor.  With newer stuff, I'm kinda like Zydar; I can watch a live show and get into it.  Seeing them actually playing it, their facial expressions, the interplay between the band members, all of that adds something to the performance.  I'll watch live performances of stuff on TV that I'd never listen to on the radio, just because seeing a live show is so cool.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 08:25:27 AM »
Crowd noise is awesome. It's pathetic sounding when you listen to the chorus of Take The Time from CiM and there's just NOTHING from the crowd!

My biggest problem with DT live albums.  You hear cheering at the beginning, then when James asks the crowd to sing along, you don't hear ANYTHING.  When I was getting into them and I watched Score, I was wondering wtf was up with the audience.

I agree with LudwigVan as well, I love hearing all the differences between studio and live versions.  Opeth do a great job of this.  On the new DVD, Mikael's growls are very different than on the albums, "Harvest" has a whole new sound, Per's background vocals are great, and songs like April Ethereal, BWP, and The Moor get an extra kick in the balls.  Same with Muse, actually.  They sound so raw live, and they insert all these little jams between songs and extend the outros, and it really puts you in the concert when you listen to HAARP.  Extended jams are fun as well, like the way Rush would extend "Closer to the Heart" back in the 90s, as long as they don't go overboard.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 10:04:14 AM »
LV -- interesting post. I sit the fence on this. I love live shows. But it is only enjoyable when they mix it up when the band still remains faithful to the vibe of the song.

For me, a 20 minute jam session smacked into the middle of a five minute tune really needs to be incredible and interesting for me to actually like it.

For instance, one of my favorite bands, Living Colour, is known for extending songs. They have one song called "Sacred Ground" that came out on their 2004(?) album, Collideoscope. The song existed prior to that, so there were two versions, of about the same length (5 minutes).

In 2003, I saw them live, and they played that song. They turned a great tune into this repetitive, boring, ridiculously drawn out 20-minute piece. It was absolutely horrendous.

So while I like a little variety, I think for me, it means extending out a solo just a tad, or throwing in a new verse, etc. If it gets to be too long, and too far away from the original vibe of the tune, I just don't care for it.

An example of where it works: The live ending to "Eyes of a Stranger" by Queensryche. It is a reprise of "Anarchy-X" that was never recorded in the studio. That is a great part that is totally different than the ending on the album itself.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 05:11:57 PM »
Live Scenes, it has everything good about why live albums slay the studio. Added/extended sections, use of gospel choir to really bring out the emotional impact of TSCO, and the awesome Metropolis pt2. rehearsal ending that should be the real ending.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline True Death of Life

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 09:12:35 PM »
I agree; I have a great live Styx album and all off a sudden in the middle of Come Sail Away this whole other solo pops out; it was a pleasant surprise and I love live albums for those things.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 10:43:27 PM »
Good topic, and that clapping lesson was awesome. I prefer live albums, but with the knowledge that they wouldn't be what they are without the studio version. If you only hear the live version of a song, then it just is what it is, but when you can compare it to the studio version you can see hear a whole new layer to it. There's an extra layer of energy to live stuff too, especially when the crowd is really into it.

Specifically there's a few bands that can pull off a section of music that builds and builds until it explodes; DT pulls that off really well in the CiM version of Dark Eternal Night, starting around 8:02 you get the riff, then JR comes in on the contiuum, by 9:00 he really starts picking up and at 9:28 they're going nuts. It feels seamless though, so you don't think much of it, because it's the sames instrument and sound of the studio version, but around 9:38 you suddenly realize "Holy crap, they're jammin" where with the studio version the emphasis is on the riff rather than JR.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 11:17:51 PM »
LV -- interesting post. I sit the fence on this. I love live shows. But it is only enjoyable when they mix it up when the band still remains faithful to the vibe of the song.

For me, a 20 minute jam session smacked into the middle of a five minute tune really needs to be incredible and interesting for me to actually like it.

For instance, one of my favorite bands, Living Colour, is known for extending songs. They have one song called "Sacred Ground" that came out on their 2004(?) album, Collideoscope. The song existed prior to that, so there were two versions, of about the same length (5 minutes).

In 2003, I saw them live, and they played that song. They turned a great tune into this repetitive, boring, ridiculously drawn out 20-minute piece. It was absolutely horrendous.

So while I like a little variety, I think for me, it means extending out a solo just a tad, or throwing in a new verse, etc. If it gets to be too long, and too far away from the original vibe of the tune, I just don't care for it.

An example of where it works: The live ending to "Eyes of a Stranger" by Queensryche. It is a reprise of "Anarchy-X" that was never recorded in the studio. That is a great part that is totally different than the ending on the album itself.

Depends on which band is doing the jamming. 

In the case of Living Colour, I'd agree with you.

I'm pretty sure I saw them last the same year you did and that jam did get a little tiresome for me.  If I remember correctly, Sacred Ground was recorded in 1994 and released on the Pride compilation (I love the song myself).

At least that's the version I'm familiar with. It doesn't appear on the version of Collideoscope I have. Where can I get the second version? (Or do you mean the live version in 2003 IS the other version?)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2010, 09:38:06 PM »
I don't know what the hell I was thinking the other day. Sacred Ground (The less angry version) IS on Collideoscope.

I don't listen to that album as much as the others (I still haven't picked up the Paris Concert or A Chair In The Doorway yet.) and I'm not sure why as Collideoscope is pretty much on par with the rest of their albums.

Hell, until I put it on today I forgot they covered Back in Black too. (At least I remembered they covered Tomorrow Never Knows!)

But yeah, I still agree with the live version of Sacred Ground that I heard somwhere around 2002/2003 did meander quite a bit.

But more often than not, I prefer a live verison (even if extended provided it is done well).

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2010, 08:27:15 AM »
Obligatory 'I only listen to DMB live because it's so much better that way.'

But I often prefer live albums, the only time I'd rather take studio is when it's very atmosphere reliant, such as some PT/DT/Opeth songs.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2010, 09:58:27 AM »

Depends on which band is doing the jamming. 

In the case of Living Colour, I'd agree with you.

I'm pretty sure I saw them last the same year you did and that jam did get a little tiresome for me.  If I remember correctly, Sacred Ground was recorded in 1994 and released on the Pride compilation (I love the song myself).

At least that's the version I'm familiar with. It doesn't appear on the version of Collideoscope I have. Where can I get the second version? (Or do you mean the live version in 2003 IS the other version?)

It doesn't? I have the Pride (94) version, and also the Collideoscope one. Track #13. Weird!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!