Author Topic: Gentle Giant appreciation  (Read 24651 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Gentle Giant appreciation
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2011, 07:13:21 AM »
After Free Hand, they seemed to have made a conscious decision to tighten their sound, dropping the strings and woodwinds and other extracurricular instruments, and sticking with your standard vocals-guitars-keyboards-bass-drums.  I still like Interview, but there are moments where I do feel that they hadn't really progressed past Free Hand, plus the structure of the album (a scripted "interview" with the band) gets a bit tedious upon repeated listenings.  But there are still some very strong moments and some good songs.

The Missing Piece has some gems, but it does represent the first step firmly in a more commercial direction.  Overall, not a bad album, but almost a different band from the early stuff.  Pretty much everything from here on out was straight-on rock in 4/4, with the occassional 3/4 for variety.  The only remnant of their early progressive sound is the dueling acoustic guitars, which show up here and there.  Not exactly unique in the rock world, but they do it well, and it's nice to hear.

And as mentioned, Giant for a Day is considered by most to be their weak point, while they did come back and finish strong with Civilian, which is one of my favorites.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2011, 09:27:44 PM »
My God. Three Friends.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2011, 09:46:22 PM »
As I stated before, I love Gentle Giant, I'm in a tribute band for them, it's amazing.

Gigs are getting organized for hte upcoming year, I just hope they come to fruition.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2011, 09:53:55 PM »
The Missing Piece is a weird album because the first side is much poppier than the second. I really like As Old as You're Young. Too bad Kerry Minnear sang less on the later albums, because I like his voice a lot. Winning sounds like it could be part of The Power and the Glory, even lyrically. The word "aspirations" turns up in it.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2011, 05:56:46 AM »
As I stated before, I love Gentle Giant, I'm in a tribute band for them, it's amazing.

Gigs are getting organized for hte upcoming year, I just hope they come to fruition.

I watched ALL of your YT videos last night. The vocalist (sorry if it's you!) is amazing. Some songs his voice doesn't quite fit with. Like, the grittiness of Giant, but on Think of Me With Kindness I was tearing up!

This band is so special. Dream Theater will always be my favorite, but I just can't believe how awesome GG is.

Oh, and School Days. Wow.

Alsoooo, I'm going to do a cover of all the vocal parts from Knots and On Reflection. splent, I'm having a hard time figuring out who sings which part? Once it gets all jumbled right before "Still you stay.." I kind of lose track. Any help?

I've got Knots pretty much figured out, just On Reflection is giving me some trouble. It's a little more wordy.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 06:03:13 AM by snapple »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2011, 08:29:40 AM »
Splent is the vocalist for Gende's Giant, and yeah he's amazing.  I saw them a while back, at a gig where Gary Green himself showed up.

Offline Pockets17red

• Unofficially Official Prog Archivist
  • If you don't like it, right up yours!
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2012, 03:42:01 PM »
Gentle Giant's "Free Hand" and "In'terview" are both being released as a CD/DVD package this February 27 (UK) and March 6 (US)
Each special edition will include the 2011 remastered CD and a DVD of a DD and DTS (96/24) Quad Mix
The Quadraphonic tapes were found recently.
Available for pre-order on Amazon and other online stores.

Saw this on Spincd.com, cdjapan, and stevehoffmanforum.
I was hoping that they would release some surround sound for this band.
Just checked out Free Hand and I'm liking it very much
I am guessing that if these two releases do well then they will remix "The Power & The Glory" and "Octopus"
in 5.1 since they just found the original mastertapes.
Keep on turning, Keep on turning, Turning around, Spinning around, round, round, round, round, round, round, round, round...

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2012, 05:44:05 PM »
GG sure rerelease material a lot. I need a new copy of Free Hand because my CD is defective.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2012, 06:58:05 AM »

I watched ALL of your YT videos last night. The vocalist (sorry if it's you!) is amazing. Some songs his voice doesn't quite fit with. Like, the grittiness of Giant, but on Think of Me With Kindness I was tearing up!

This band is so special. Dream Theater will always be my favorite, but I just can't believe how awesome GG is.

Oh, and School Days. Wow.

Alsoooo, I'm going to do a cover of all the vocal parts from Knots and On Reflection. splent, I'm having a hard time figuring out who sings which part? Once it gets all jumbled right before "Still you stay.." I kind of lose track. Any help?

I've got Knots pretty much figured out, just On Reflection is giving me some trouble. It's a little more wordy.

Yep, that's me.  Derek's voice is very unique, and while I have his range I don't have his full out power.  My voice quality is way more like Kerry's.  Thanks for the kudos on Think of Me, I love singing that song.

We are currently booked for a gig in Milwaukee in June and possible in the Chicago area in September.  We were supposed to gig in Ohio in Sept but that gig was cancelled.  We would love to play more around the country, if you or anyone else knows of a place were they play prog bands we would love to play there!  We already sent a demo to NJ Prog House. 

As far as the voice parts for On Reflection, check this out:

https://www.blazemonger.com/GG/Phil_Smith

Phil is the keyboardist in Gende's Giant and does all the transcriptions.  We have used a lot of his transcriptions as a guide to help us play.  He does a pretty good job ;)

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2012, 02:45:02 PM »
My Octopus LP just came in the mail.

I just came in my pants.

HNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2012, 03:08:34 PM »
Which cover does it have?  There was a version with a Roger Dean "angry red octopus" and the "octopus in a jar" version.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2012, 03:18:33 PM »
Which cover does it have?  There was a version with a Roger Dean "angry red octopus" and the "octopus in a jar" version.

Jar version. The lyric sheet and cover are in horrendous shape. The record is fine. A bit of scratching, most notably on The Advent of Panurge. When the instrumentations kick in, you can't notice it. In fact, I think the noise adds a bit of charm to the song.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2012, 03:29:24 PM »
I have that one, too.  It wasn't until years later that I even knew that there was the Roger Dean version.

A bit of noise, as long as it's not too bad, is okay, especially since I grew up with LPs.  It means you're getting all the music.

/analog fanboy

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2012, 03:30:23 PM »
I have that one, too.  It wasn't until years later that I even knew that there was the Roger Dean version.

A bit of noise, as long as it's not too bad, is okay, especially since I grew up with LPs.  It means you're getting all the music.

/analog fanboy

Yeah.

Man, I'd give my left nut if someone sold me their self titled album LP. Octopus is  my favorite album, but Gentle Giant is my very close second.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2012, 08:00:48 AM »
I'm serious about the testicle offer.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2012, 08:55:01 AM »
I'm not really in the market for testes right now, but I'm pretty sure I have the first five or six albums on vinyl.  I'll check, and if you make an obscenely high offer (cash, not bioparts), I'll consider selling it.

Offline Pockets17red

« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2012, 08:59:11 AM »
        'Free Hand' was Gentle Giant's first album for Chrysalis Records, released in July 1975. This special edition (CD/DVD) features a previously unreleased lost quadraphonic mix. The special 4.1 Surround Sound mix (for you audiophiles it's DTS 96/24 and Dolby Digital 48kHz/24bit) has been adapted from those original Quad mixes. The release also includes newly commissioned sleeve notes written by the band themselves.   

https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B006CNR0BG/emimusiccamp001-21365-21/ref=nosim

'In'terview', Gentle Giant's second album for Chrysalis was released in April 1976, and as the title suggests, is loosely a concept album based upon a series of interview questions posed to the band by journalist Phil Sutcliffe. This special edition (CD/DVD) features a previously unreleased lost quadraphonic mix. The special 4.1 Surround Sound mix (for you audiophiles it's DTS 96/24 and Dolby Digital 48kHz/24bit) has been adapted from those original Quad mixes. The release also includes newly commissioned sleeve notes written by the band themselves.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B006DX2MKO/emimusiccamp001-21366-21/ref=nosim
Keep on turning, Keep on turning, Turning around, Spinning around, round, round, round, round, round, round, round, round...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2012, 09:09:51 AM »
Thanks for the reminder.  I'm jumping on those.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2012, 09:15:13 AM »
Gende's Giant is on an indefinate hiatus right now, as the creator of it is going through some tough personal stuff right now.  Don't know when the next time will be that we can get together and play, it's all based on him.  He said we could get a new bassist, but then why call it Gende's Giant, since his last name is Gende? 

Anyways, just enjoy the youtube vids for now :)

And Orbert, glad to see you came back ;)

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2012, 11:32:09 AM »
Gende's Giant is on an indefinate hiatus right now, as the creator of it is going through some tough personal stuff right now.  Don't know when the next time will be that we can get together and play, it's all based on him.  He said we could get a new bassist, but then why call it Gende's Giant, since his last name is Gende? 

Anyways, just enjoy the youtube vids for now :)

umm...I'm a bassist.

edit: It doesn't look like I'll be able to snag that record for cheap. Which is a damn shame. I'd REALLY like it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2012, 01:53:01 PM »

I didn't really leave; I just didn't post for a few days.  It was a bit silly overall.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2012, 11:24:03 AM »
Either way, glad you're back. :)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2012, 11:39:15 AM »
Thanks.    :)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #94 on: February 27, 2012, 02:28:48 PM »
I bought a copy of The Power and The Glory over the weekend.

So Sincere  :eek

Offline Pockets17red

« Reply #95 on: February 27, 2012, 02:43:42 PM »
Free Hand CD + DVD, including "Unreleased 1975 Quad Mix and New Sleeve Notes by the Band"

I have ordered mine.

Interview also came out in this format.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Interview-2012-Remaster-Gentle-Giant/dp/B006DX2MKO/ref=pd_sim_m_h__4/279-4150517-3352662
Mine should be here in a couple days. My first Gentle Giant CDs! Hope enough copies are bought so they will consider doing 5.1 mixes of the other albums.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #96 on: February 27, 2012, 03:04:32 PM »
I'm on a Gentle Giant spree lately.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #97 on: February 27, 2012, 03:08:34 PM »
Free Hand CD + DVD, including "Unreleased 1975 Quad Mix and New Sleeve Notes by the Band"

I have ordered mine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Interview-2012-Remaster-Gentle-Giant/dp/B006DX2MKO/ref=pd_sim_m_h__4/279-4150517-3352662
Mine should be here in a couple days. My first Gentle Giant CDs! Hope enough copies are bought so they will consider doing 5.1 mixes of the other albums.

Yeah, I saw Inter'view as well, but I can only afford one of them right now, and Free Hand is my favorite.  This will be the third time I've bought it on CD, but I must have the quad mix.

As for them doing 5.1 mixes, I honestly doubt that will happen.  They're awesome, but still relatively obscure, and the demand won't be great enough.  If they do, it will be in a limited run, and limited = expensive.  The quad mixes of Free Hand and Inter'view were already done, so it was "just" a matter of mastering and releasing them.  Creating 5.1 mixes from scratch is a very time- and resource-consuming process, which I really can't see anyone investing in.  Not in today's economic climate.  But stranger things have happened.

Offline Pockets17red

« Reply #98 on: February 27, 2012, 03:53:36 PM »

I have ordered mine.

Yeah, I saw Inter'view as well, but I can only afford one of them right now, and Free Hand is my favorite.  This will be the third time I've bought it on CD, but I must have the quad mix.

As for them doing 5.1 mixes, I honestly doubt that will happen.  They're awesome, but still relatively obscure, and the demand won't be great enough.  If they do, it will be in a limited run, and limited = expensive.  The quad mixes of Free Hand and Inter'view were already done, so it was "just" a matter of mastering and releasing them.  Creating 5.1 mixes from scratch is a very time- and resource-consuming process, which I really can't see anyone investing in.  Not in today's economic climate.  But stranger things have happened.

Very true. I heard the remasters of Octopus and Three Friends sold over 5,000 or so copies each so I wonder how many copies these would have to sell in order for them to consider? Well, if no 5.1 mixes are made, then I will be get the remasters of Octopus, Three Friends and all the others when they are released.

Oh and by the way, here is Free Hand's Amazon.co.uk Bestsellers Rank: 303 in Music (See Top 100 in Music)
#95 in Music > Rock

and Interview's Amazon.co.uk Bestsellers Rank: 564 in Music

I think the first one is pretty good for one of the more underground prog bands of the 70s
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 03:58:58 PM by Pockets17red »

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: February 27, 2012, 04:04:43 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6WSLG5r-wE

I love that performance of On Reflection.

Offline Pockets17red

« Reply #100 on: February 27, 2012, 04:07:11 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6WSLG5r-wE

I love that performance of On Reflection.

I still need to get that DVD. I have the Giant on the Box and that one is amazing!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #101 on: February 27, 2012, 04:39:02 PM »
I have On the Box and need to get Sight and Sound.  I rented it recently, and it was amazing.  Most of my favorites (Side One of Free Hand plus Funny Ways) and a killer version of Memories of Old Days as well.  The only thing more mind-blowing than listening to these guys live is watching them live.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2012, 07:12:40 AM »
Sight and Sound with the commentary is HILARIOUS. I love watching all of their live renditions of songs. They're amazing. Except Weathers can't hit his notes in that On Reflection  :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #103 on: February 28, 2012, 11:47:18 AM »
Crap, I didn't even think of watching it with the commentary.  Next time, I guess.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #104 on: March 15, 2012, 02:55:58 PM »