Author Topic: A case for involving JLB more in the songwriting  (Read 6624 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: A case for involving JLB more in the songwriting
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2010, 01:09:00 AM »
Indeed. No more circus music moments, please.
Ok, I gotta ask - my friend has always said that there's some sort of circus music bit in Octavarium. Is this what you're talking about and, if so, what part is that? I've never known...

Octavarium? Maybe a little of his crap during the instrumental section, but generally that album is low on Rudess BS. ToT on the other hand is not.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2010, 01:16:33 AM »
Rudess is perfectly fine. I'd like to hear him do more zany stuff. I realize some people feel like they're less mainly when the circus sounds come in on Train of Thought, but I personally don't care. Gimmie more of those goofy patches. Makes things interesting.

Offline Unimatrix

• The lurking clown
  • They float...
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2010, 07:52:51 AM »
Circus music!  :metal

Offline MemoryScenes

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2010, 10:14:37 AM »
Ok, I gotta ask - my friend has always said that there's some sort of circus music bit in Octavarium. Is this what you're talking about and, if so, what part is that? I've never known...

On the album or in the song?
My favorite riff in Sacrificed Sons sounds a little circus-like (around 7:19, and again in the outro).

Offline lithium112

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2010, 10:48:28 AM »
On the album or in the song?
My favorite riff in Sacrificed Sons sounds a little circus-like (around 7:19, and again in the outro).
He was definitely talking about the song. I'll see if I can clarify the part with him (if he knows what I'm talking about... we had this discussion a long time ago lol).

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2010, 01:07:34 PM »
Your friend is probably referring to something between 17:29 and 17:50.

Offline lithium112

« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2010, 03:51:22 PM »
Your friend is probably referring to something between 17:29 and 17:50.
Oh! Yeah that makes sense. Though I've never really heard that and thought "circus music" I could see how others may get that impression. Thanks!

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2010, 04:38:32 PM »
I for one have never seen a single video in which James was in the same room in which music was written.

rumborak
The making of Train of Thought.

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2010, 08:50:40 AM »
I for one have never seen a single video in which James was in the same room in which music was written.

rumborak

James wasn't there when TOT was written he was there when TOT was recorded. There are two different videos of making of TOT (one is about writing and another about recording) But as somebody already said he was in studio during writing of 8VM and SC

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2010, 09:01:21 AM »

rumborak

James wasn't there when TOT was written he was there when TOT was recorded. There are two different videos of making of TOT (one is about writing and another about recording) But as somebody already said he was in studio during writing of 8VM and SC

He was there when TOT was written. He's the guy that films it!! If you read the book, it tells you that the guys said he needed to make more a presence during the writting so he went down during the 3 weeks that they wrote it.

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2010, 09:22:30 AM »

rumborak

He was there when TOT was written. He's the guy that films it!! If you read the book, it tells you that the guys said he needed to make more a presence during the writting so he went down during the 3 weeks that they wrote it.

Oh you are right sorry my bad... I just watched the video and he speaks at the end of the writing I thought he wasn't there beacuse songs in TOT booklet are credited to Petrucci, Portnoy, Myung, Rudess and in 8VM and SC the credits are just Dream Theter and in BC&SL again only Petrucci, Portnoy, Myung, Rudess so he probably didn't do anything during TOT but you are right that he was there

Offline Bargey

• Moving In Circles
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2010, 09:57:24 PM »
As great as the guys in DT are individually as musicians, I find that DT's best stuff is where there is a collaboration between all of them and the whole becomes greater than the sum of it's parts. Some of my favourite DT songs involve JLB's lyrics (Blind Faith, Medicate Me, Disappear, One Last Time) so I'd love to see him contribute more to DT's music from here on out. Likewise JMX, his lyrics are completely different to the rest of the guys and add some nice variety. I'm hoping one of the few good things to come from Mike not being around next time is that everyone will contribute more to the band, and I find that prospect quite exciting.
Withdrawn and Introverted, Infectiously Perverted

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2010, 06:13:08 PM »
I don't know if this has jack to do with songwriting, but I just listened to "Beyond This Life" for the first time in awhile and JLB sounded out of this world.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 07:30:53 PM by TheOutlawXanadu »
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!