Author Topic: Power Attenuators  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Power Attenuators
« on: September 15, 2010, 09:46:56 AM »
Anybody ever use one?  Some of the more common ones I've seen include the Marshall Power Brake and the THD Hot Plate.  Sounds like an excellent idea and wouldn't mind looking into one for great tone, if they're worth it.  Didn't know if anyone had any experience with them and had an opinion.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Re: Power Attenuators
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 08:53:46 PM »
Never had an experience with them but I have talked with people that have and apparently, it muddies your tone a really small bit but if you need it, they work generally pretty well.

Offline LTE

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 06:50:33 PM »
I have a lot of experience with the Weber MASS series of attenuators. I think the guy who made them (Ted Weber) died? But I haven't checked is his website is still up. They are a lot cheaper than all the popular attenuators and are supposedly better. It worked really well with my old Mesa Boogie DC5. I could get relatively great tone at a midnight bedroom practice level. It was also great for jamming to run the amp a little hotter and keep it at a good level. The Weber had treble boost switches also.

We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 09:07:10 AM »
I'd LOVE to try one out, just to see what kinda tone I could get outta nay of my amps, but that's a little much to drop on something like this, when I'm not sure it'll be worth it.  Something to think about, I guess.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 03:58:04 PM »
I used to use one.  You can really get a more saturated tone out of your tubes at lower levels with these.  The only thing that sucks is that weird stuff happens when you want to give yourself a volume boost.  Your amp will hit its max volume quicker with the power brake on it.

I bought this thing called the volume box from ebay.  It worked well and was only 10 bucks.  Definitely a nifty little gadget if you have to keep your volume under control.

I don't use it anymore though cause I'm controlling my amp differently these days.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?