Author Topic: SNOW!!! v. ARRRRRGGGG!!!  (Read 87835 times)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: SNOW!!! v. ARRRRRGGGG!!!
« Reply #525 on: January 05, 2018, 09:26:32 AM »
I think I'm finally biting the bullet and buying a snow blower.   I was always the guy that said "fuck that, I'm young and healthy, a little shoveling never hurt nobody!".   But now I'm old, not so healthy, and yes, it does hurt some people, including me!

Thankfully it was light and fluffy, but between blowing and plows and what not, there was two and a half feet of snow at the end of my driveway, and it took every bit of two hours to do the last five, six feet.  Fuck that noise.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #526 on: January 05, 2018, 10:02:31 AM »
When I moved into the house I live in 16 years ago, I made that investment.  With 180 of sidewalk (we have a corner lot), there was no way in shit I was doing all of that.  Some years, it's the best money I ever spent; some years, I don't even refill the gas tank.  Usually, there's more of the former.  Plus, when the street plow comes around the corner, I usually get a shit-ton left at the bottom of the driveway.

Like snow-tires, I don't think I'd ever live without a snow-blower as a home owner.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #527 on: January 05, 2018, 10:49:24 AM »
My left tire has a slow leak that pulls it to the left it I don't pay attention to it.

It could also be corrosion on the actual wheels, leading to a bad seal on the tire.  I have a few of those on two cars.  Tire shops charge about $25 to re-seal the tire (and may even grind off some of the rust to help the seal).  It lasts for a few months, then the leak comes back.  In the summer, it's not a big deal and I just put air in the tires at home with my compressor.  But in the winter, the colder temperatures help reduce the air pressure significantly and more quickly.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #528 on: January 05, 2018, 12:30:17 PM »
I think I'm finally biting the bullet and buying a snow blower.   I was always the guy that said "fuck that, I'm young and healthy, a little shoveling never hurt nobody!".   But now I'm old, not so healthy, and yes, it does hurt some people, including me!

Thankfully it was light and fluffy, but between blowing and plows and what not, there was two and a half feet of snow at the end of my driveway, and it took every bit of two hours to do the last five, six feet.  Fuck that noise.

Yea, I'm slowly moving that direction as well.  I keep telling myself this forces me to get a good workout... but I've been sick and luckily my brother was home yesterday to help shovel with me, but if I was stuck alone, I would have really struggled with that.  I found a cheap small one online that someone shared with me at work.  My driveway isn't big so I've never felt the need, but yesterday was rough and has me thinking about it now.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #529 on: January 06, 2018, 01:46:17 AM »
*obligatory 57 degree post*

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #530 on: January 06, 2018, 06:36:38 AM »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #531 on: January 06, 2018, 09:25:09 AM »

Yeah, Cali's climate change only affects air quality, not temperature.  How's the smog down there these days?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #532 on: January 06, 2018, 09:32:23 AM »

Used to have the sentiment and I said the same thing on Thursday! At 53 this shit ain't fun anymore.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #533 on: January 06, 2018, 06:20:33 PM »

Yeah, Cali's climate change only affects air quality, not temperature.  How's the smog down there these days?

Looking pretty good today (AQI is around 30 here), rains cleared stuff up nicely.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #534 on: January 06, 2018, 08:38:22 PM »
It hasn't been snowy at all really so far in Minnesota. We had rain last month and the next day it snowed out, so the roads were a thick sheet of ice--driving was horrible that day. Other than that, it's just been small 4-5 inch snows one day and 1-3 inches other days, nothing dramatic. It's just been cold. Last week when I went to work in the morning, it was -32 F and warmed up to -5 later in the day. This morning I wasn't expecting -19, but thank God it wasn't windy. Really, the cold doesn't bother me at all, it just sucks when the cold freezes the wires in my truck for the speakers and I have to drive in silence. Oh well...
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #535 on: January 26, 2019, 08:46:46 PM »
Got a snowstorm coming tomorrow and then Wednesday, it gets cold!

"This is not weather, this is an emergency condition"
-Lewis Black
Hard to believe it will be 130 degrees warmer in a few months. I gotta be honest, once it gets below 0, I can't tell a difference in temperature. It's just cold.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #536 on: January 27, 2019, 04:40:20 AM »

Guess I'll gladly take my -8C.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #537 on: January 27, 2019, 08:18:55 AM »
Got a snowstorm coming tomorrow and then Wednesday, it gets cold!

"This is not weather, this is an emergency condition"
-Lewis Black
Hard to believe it will be 130 degrees warmer in a few months. I gotta be honest, once it gets below 0, I can't tell a difference in temperature. It's just cold.

I hear ya, tonight thru tomorrow central WI is getting around 6 inches of snow and we'll be in the -50 wind chill on Wednesday.  Could be worse, southern WI is supposed to get 12+ of snow. 
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #538 on: January 27, 2019, 08:21:38 AM »
What the hell?  Just have Donnie order up some of that Global Warming.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #539 on: January 27, 2019, 09:13:10 AM »
Looking out my windows now and it is nice and sunny. Then I look at the temp and it is a brisk 1 with a wind chill of -10. Supposed to get 4-8 inches tonight and then it says the high on Wednesday will be -12 to -16.

I have therapy for my elbow surgery on Wednesday. My therapist told me I can cancel if I think it's too cold. I think I might be cancelling.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #540 on: January 27, 2019, 09:27:28 AM »
Looking to put a scare into 70 degrees today, think I'll go for a nice hike.

Offline max_security

« Reply #541 on: January 27, 2019, 10:03:38 AM »
Wow -53 degrees F mentioned above , holy smoke man !!! I always hear people say that they would rather do without heating than air conditioning ( I'm in the hvac business ). They say that they can add more layers to stay warm , but there comes a point where these people and their layers will just freeze. But I guess a lot of folks just don't have to work outside and have never been cold. Heating is a requirement to live , AC is just a luxury . Being too hot is uncomfortable , being too cold causes real pain and death even to someone in perfect health. Stay warm friends. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #542 on: January 27, 2019, 12:05:33 PM »
Wow -53 degrees F mentioned above , holy smoke man !!! I always hear people say that they would rather do without heating than air conditioning ( I'm in the hvac business ). They say that they can add more layers to stay warm , but there comes a point where these people and their layers will just freeze. But I guess a lot of folks just don't have to work outside and have never been cold. Heating is a requirement to live , AC is just a luxury . Being too hot is uncomfortable , being too cold causes real pain and death even to someone in perfect health. Stay warm friends.

Amen to this.

Cannot remember if I mentioned this in this thread or another already, but family members and I sometimes have a friendly debate over what is better: cold weather or hot weather.  I always argue for hot weather.

Hot weather can be sticky and gross, yes, but your car cools down pretty quickly, and when you walk inside from the heat, that blast of cool air from the A/C feels amazing.

Cold weather is just awful on all levels. Your car takes forever to even think of getting warm, and when you walk inside from the cold, you still feel chilly for minutes after getting inside. 

I cannot imagine living somewhere it is cold all the time. :tdwn :tdwn

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #543 on: January 28, 2019, 02:22:11 PM »
Looking out my windows now and it is nice and sunny. Then I look at the temp and it is a brisk 1 with a wind chill of -10. Supposed to get 4-8 inches tonight and then it says the high on Wednesday will be -12 to -16.

I have therapy for my elbow surgery on Wednesday. My therapist told me I can cancel if I think it's too cold. I think I might be cancelling.

You must be in the same region where my youngest brother lives.  He's in Minneapolis.  The high there on Wednesday is expected to be around -14.  Crazy!!  I live in Phx where the high will be 85 degrees warmer than that.  :flame:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #544 on: January 28, 2019, 03:16:10 PM »

You must be in the same region where my youngest brother lives.  He's in Minneapolis.  The high there on Wednesday is expected to be around -14.  Crazy!!  I live in Phx where the high will be 85 degrees warmer than that.  :flame:

I'm in the Chicago area. Spent 2 hours shoveling this morning. My regular snow shovel broke on me. At my age and condition, I'm seriously considering dropping the money on a blower finally. They are saying these Polar Vortex things may become more common as the Arctic air keeps getting pushed out by warmer air.

Now I am seeing highs of -16 to -20 with wind chills of -45 to -55. My Director told all of his employees to just stay home this week until the weather works itself out. I did cancel my therapy on Wednesday. No way I am going out in that mess.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline romdrums

« Reply #545 on: January 28, 2019, 03:44:39 PM »
We are under a winter storm advisory and a wind chill warning until Thursday here in Fort Wayne.  Wednesday's high is expected to be -10, with over night lows about 10 degrees below that.  Wind chills are expected to hit 50 below.  What's kind of funny is that the band Frost* will be doing a recording workshop here starting on Thursday morning.  They are going to get a chilly reception for sure.  ;D
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #546 on: January 29, 2019, 02:03:38 PM »
It's so cold here (Chicago northern suburbs) that they closed our offices and declared that only "business critical personnel" need to report to work.  You'll know if you're considered "business critical" because your immediate supervisor will tell you.  I'm not.

This is nuts.  It's so cold out that, in the interest of public safety, they're telling people to just stay home.  If your car breaks down, you could literally freeze to death while waiting for help.

Re: snow blowers.  Absolute life saver.  Shortly after buying the house, we got one.  We had a little extra cash, so we went for a huge beast with separate motors powering the wheels and the augers, electric start, the works.  Very nice machine, clears the driveway in minutes, but in general it was probably a mistake.  I was talking to my co-worker, and some years back when his beast died, he got a small one.  The only "must have" was the electric start.  It's a lot easier to get the little guy out of the shed/garage and deal with in general.  Obviously it takes more passes up and down the driveway, but as long as it can handle the crap at the end that the snow plows leave you, it'll get the job done.  I need my son's help to get our beast out of the shed, it's so damned big, my back can't deal with it.  And despite being self-propelled, it's still a wrestling match at the end of each pass just to turn the thing around.  There is such thing as too much machine.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #547 on: January 29, 2019, 03:01:51 PM »
Yeah, I cleared my schedule for the whole week. I don't have to leave the house until Friday at the earliest. I went to get the mail around 2pm and that walk to and from the mailbox was horrible. It's 1 with 26 mph winds by me right now.

If anything, I have learned a lot about what these Polar Vortex things are. Had no idea that these were Arctic fronts getting displaced and wreaking havoc. It makes sense now.

I have been researching snow blowers. I'm reaching the point of no return. Honestly, I need a riding mower too. The price of these things are pretty crazy though.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #548 on: January 29, 2019, 04:09:12 PM »
If anything, I have learned a lot about what these Polar Vortex things are. Had no idea that these were Arctic fronts getting displaced and wreaking havoc. It makes sense now.

The polar vortex is a large, high-speed circulation of cold air in the stratosphere, which is the atmospheric layer above of where weather happens. Sometimes an area of polar stratosphere warms up suddenly (SSW - Sudden Stratospheric Warming), which leads to a break-up of the polar vortex. This then has a knock-on effect on weather patterns that makes these mid-latitude Arctic outbreaks more likely. The warming event causing this was considered major.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 04:21:15 PM by Luoto »
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #549 on: January 29, 2019, 04:29:02 PM »
So basically, a blast of warm weather from above pushes a lower layer or Arctic weather 1/2 way down the hemisphere?

Someone tell Donnie he got his wish - Global Warming is the reason for these temperatures!

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #550 on: January 29, 2019, 05:27:06 PM »
Had to find the story, but a 125 degree warmup above the North Pole is what caused what we are going through.

https://www.apnews.com/77d640ee81fa4890b689d39c6bea545d

They say this might be happening a lot more. I might just be finding the funds for a snow blower now.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #551 on: January 29, 2019, 05:29:12 PM »
Had to find the story, but a 125 degree warmup above the North Pole is what caused what we are going through.

https://www.apnews.com/77d640ee81fa4890b689d39c6bea545d

They say this might be happening a lot more. I might just be finding the funds for a snow blower now.

Shop Craigslist in early to mid summer for them. I scored mine for $225 and it's gone a good four years now.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #552 on: January 29, 2019, 05:58:28 PM »
Once you get a snow blower, you'll wonder how you actually survived without one.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #553 on: January 29, 2019, 07:15:13 PM »
I was peeved on Monday morning when our John Deere wasn't starting. We got probably 5-6 inches where I live, so it wasn't the end of the world, but it's got hand warmers and it was subzero to begin with and it's bigger than our little red one that I would have loved to have had it. I kept going back to it and eventually got it to work. Was able to finish the driveway with ease.

Right now, it's -44 F. Driving to and from work, it was kinda dangerous. The snow isn't all the way cleared from the road, so it's just ice on some spots of the highway. Bridge decks are pure black ice, you could see the sheen reflect off the sun. I don't think a lot of people seem to understand black ice. I'm not going 75 in a 65 with literal patches of death sprinkled on the highway. I literally passed by a tip over car in a particularly treacherous spot of the highway.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #554 on: January 29, 2019, 08:40:09 PM »
Once you get a snow blower, you'll wonder how you actually survived without one.

This.  Current house has 180 feet of sidewalk (since I have a corner lot), plus a double driveway.  Next house (1 month today it's ours!) has a 12-car driveway.  Snowball's chance in hell I'd ever shovel that.

Same for winter tires.  Would never drive without them.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #555 on: February 03, 2019, 09:31:20 AM »
Took the plunge yesterday and bought my first snowblower.

I guarantee we won't get measurable snow for years now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #556 on: February 03, 2019, 09:36:04 AM »
Temps were below zero here four days ago.

Today it will be in the 60's.  Much, much better.  :coolio :hat

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #557 on: February 03, 2019, 09:42:57 AM »

HAHAHA, I did my part last year; though I've gotten to use it twice (and it came in real handy once; the plows do a number on the end of my driveway).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #558 on: February 03, 2019, 04:58:22 PM »

Then it'll be completely worth it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #559 on: February 03, 2019, 05:05:51 PM »
11C when I drove the jingle.kids back to school. Glad Donnie ordered up that global waming.