Author Topic: Christmas season---WTF?  (Read 8055 times)

Offline William Wallace

Re: Christmas season---WTF?
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2010, 12:06:57 PM »
capitalismas sounds like the most appropriate name.
What a beautiful name change it would be, two whole months dedicated to the wealth-generating capacity of the free market.

Capitalismas: Santa Claus' ultimate sell-out.

rumborak

What does the pure, untainted Santa Claus look like? I mean, he's a fat man who drinks coca cola and gives aways playstations to the spoiled little fuck faces we call children.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2010, 12:08:53 PM »
What does the pure, untainted Santa Claus look like?

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2010, 12:59:55 PM »

Offline ainamotore

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2010, 09:19:31 AM »
Don't be ridiculous, it's Holiday season.

I'm pretty sure the free market decided that Christmas is the only profitable holiday. Thus all other holidays are inferior and will be removed from our lives.

Then so be it. The free market is we the people, and that's the way it should be, and that's the way it should stay.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2010, 09:24:49 AM »
Holy shit.  What I was joking about on the first page ainamotore just came out and seriously said on the second.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2010, 09:29:15 AM »

I'm pretty sure the free market decided that Christmas is the only profitable holiday. Thus all other holidays are inferior and will be removed from our lives.

Then so be it. The free market is we the people, and that's the way it should be, and that's the way it should stay.
oh
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2010, 04:06:32 PM »
Disney World had their Christmas stuff up almost immediately after Halloween. Already, Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party has a few dates and it's only mid November. The Christmas Lights Spectacle at Hollywood Studios is going on a daily basis. I really hate coming into work hearing Christmas music when im trying to get over Halloween. I wanna hear Will Smith's Nightmare On My Street, not jingle bells

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2010, 04:57:36 AM »

The free market is "We the Corporations shoving shit down people's throat in the hope that they'll like the way it tastes."
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2010, 10:22:39 AM »

The free market is "We the Corporations shoving shit down people's throat in the hope that they'll like the way it tastes."
I'm totally cool with that. I have a job because people decide to buy the stuff that evil corporations advertise.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2010, 10:02:21 AM »
I adore Christmas like when I was an 8-year old, but yeah, here's the same, all the radios and stations have been starting to play Christmas songs in late October since like 7 years ago, which feels somewhat weird and unfitting. Same with Shopping Malls.

However I think I know the reason. When asked in surveys, some people said that the worst thing about the Holiday Season, along with the debts, is that it feels too short. The Shopping malls then decided to make the season longer, starting at November.
:slayer: Felicidad es todo aquello que nos hace recordar que la vida es bella, que diciembre es amor. :slayer:
:slayer: Aņo nuevo y Navidad, Caracol con sus oyentes :slayer:

I offer my apologize to the guys who still want to celebrate Saturnalia; we stole your date and "Christmatized" it as our own holiday. For those of you Roman pagan worshipers, I offer my apologies.

The issue does not lie if we give too many presents for Christmas. Dickens and Carrasquilla (a Colombian author) have written about that people forget the Christamas spirit and focus more on the commercial aspect of it. But what are we exactly forgetting? What is the Christmas spirit?

The Christians celebrate the 25th of December the birth of Jesus Christ, our savior. That's Christmas. How can you celebrate Christmas if you forget the crucial aspect of it? This is a Christian holiday. We consider it a really important date. For us it's the second most important date in the year. If you take out the 'Christ' aspect of 'Mas' you have an incomplete holiday. And for that matter one that is not worth it to celebrate; or happen be the case that is necessary to celebrate it, please have the decency to change its name.

Families gather around on this date to celebrate a dinner together and exchange gifts. But the reason they gather around is to remember and celebrate the way Jesus Christ was brought to this world. The importance of His coming. The importance of family. And with this last point is what I would like to make an emphasis.

To exchange gifts, that is to buy whatever you want in order to give it to a family member, girlfriend, boyfriend, or just friend and receive (hopefully) one from them, is perfectly fine. It's a way of exchanging gratitude between loving members. If one doesn't want to receive or give a gift, I think it's perfectly fine because if you are still keeping the meaning of Christmas with you, that is to remember the nativity scene of Baby Jesus and his family, and (if possible) sharing with others then you are still celebrating it.

I think that if you just take this day off as a national holiday to rest then you are defeating its purpose. It's nice to share time with your family. If you are just doing that then please don't say you are celebrating Christmas. Christmas is the celebration of Jesus Christ's coming to this world. If you just want to celebrate a nice time with family and friends find another term to name it. It's perfectly fine to have a good meal with your beloved ones, it's also important to know the difference of a regular dinner with Christmas.

If you just buy tons of gifts for the sake of it that's not Christmas. If you buy gifts to give it to someone who is in a needed position, and give it to altruistically just make the other person happy, and give it to him or her saying Merry Christmas clarifying the reason why you are giving it to him on this date, I think in that case it's still Christmas. You are trying to make someone happy by making him remember the importance of this date.

So, buying tons of presents, exchanging them, and spending time with your family is perfectly fine if you know why you are doing it, and that is by knowing that you are celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ. This is Christmas, the reminder of the meaning behind it.

It's sad to see shopping malls full of Christmas related merchandise two months before the date. It's sadder, to me, knowing that many Christians are not really celebrating Christmas.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2010, 10:13:44 AM »
^Great post. I don't really buy people gifts for Christmas, because that isn't the point. The point is the Christ. Nowadays it's a way to capitalize on it. I try to stay away from it, mostly.

Emin, pls stay.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2010, 10:29:59 AM »
^Great post. I don't really buy people gifts for Christmas, because that isn't the point. The point is the Christ. Nowadays it's a way to capitalize on it. I try to stay away from it, mostly.

Emin, pls stay.
:heart

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2010, 08:59:36 AM »

It's sad to see shopping malls full of Christmas related merchandise two months before the date. It's sadder, to me, knowing that many Christians are not really celebrating Christmas.

Is it more that Christians are not celebrating Christmas the right way, or less people believing in Christianity?

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2010, 09:05:59 AM »
i lay claim to santa claus, the fucker lived around my summer house, the rest of the holiday you infidels can keep.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2010, 04:16:06 PM »

Is it more that Christians are not celebrating Christmas the right way, or less people believing in Christianity?
A more to an extent than B. If A knew better what they are celebrating I think B will be diminished in some way. Although there are other factors for B.

Offline j

« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2010, 07:18:11 PM »
I don't really buy people gifts for Christmas, because that isn't the point. The point is the Christ. Nowadays it's a way to capitalize on it. I try to stay away from it, mostly.

Giving and generosity have nothing to do with Jesus?

I mean as a whole, you could say that there are a lot of things "wrong" with the way Christmas is treated I guess, but why would you single out gift-giving of all things? :lol

-J

Offline Adami

« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2010, 07:39:18 PM »

Emin, pls stay.

I assume you also stay away from the trees, festivities and so forth as well?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2010, 01:21:47 PM »
I adore Christmas like when I was an 8-year old, but yeah, here's the same, all the radios and stations have been starting to play Christmas songs in late October since like 7 years ago, which feels somewhat weird and unfitting. Same with Shopping Malls.

However I think I know the reason. When asked in surveys, some people said that the worst thing about the Holiday Season, along with the debts, is that it feels too short. The Shopping malls then decided to make the season longer, starting at November.
:slayer: Felicidad es todo aquello que nos hace recordar que la vida es bella, que diciembre es amor. :slayer:
:slayer: Año nuevo y Navidad, Caracol con sus oyentes :slayer:
LA NOSTALGIA
ESTÁ POR TODOS LADOS!!!

Sin embargo cuando más me corre un corrientazo por la espalda es cuando oigo una compilacion de villancicos que sacó Discos Fuentes hace como 10 o 20 años, ni idea como se llama el coro que la hizo, pero carajo, crecí con esas versiones.

-

Anyway, I agree with a lot of people here that some people think more about the gifts and Santa Claus part of Christmas than... Well, the Christ part.

Yes, Gifts are amazing and I buy people gifts, but I still think the most important part of Christmas is to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ with the people you love the most. I don't really think I can add something else because both James and emindead posts have said it all.

Also, who the fuck cares if the eeeevil corporations capitalize on Christmas? Let them be. The stuff that matters for me, personally, is to make all the people that's close to me happy and to spend a very special time with my family and beloved ones in such a special, Holy time of the year as this one. As long as this happens, I will still love Christmas as much as I do today.

I'm not at all against Santa (I prefer El Niño Dios, tho :neverusethis: ), or the Lights, or the gifts, or any of that stuff, as long as they help people to come closer to their loved ones and share such a special time as Christ's birth.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 01:38:50 PM by LCArenas »

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2010, 02:55:29 PM »
I mean as a whole, you could say that there are a lot of things "wrong" with the way Christmas is treated I guess, but why would you single out gift-giving of all things? :lol

I assume you also stay away from the trees, festivities and so forth as well?

What I am saying is that I would rather celebrate the true reason of the season.

I singled out gift-giving because, while it is nice, it doesn't necessarily mean it is generous. I'd rather spend time with people and think about the season and enjoy their company (and to Adami's point, yes, I still hang out with people and enjoy the festivities, but that is something that is there so, what can I do?) than give gifts. Maybe that seems weird to you guys, but not to me. Then again, people IRL know that I am not about materialism at all, so...

In before "ITT: Jamesman is the Grinch"

Offline Adami

« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2010, 09:56:42 PM »
I see almost nothing about christmas that has anything to do with jesus, at least the historically accurate jesus.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2010, 05:35:43 AM »
It's whatever. What happens, happens, during the season, but I'd still rather take time to remember/celebrate what people have said this holiday actually is about.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2010, 06:23:58 AM »
Speaking of which, anyone know any great epic versions of any of the songs above? Beside TSO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG8D4oOLXtI
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2010, 06:38:15 AM »
I see almost nothing about christmas that has anything to do with jesus, at least the historically accurate jesus.

Yeah, Dec 25 isn't even his birthday.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2010, 08:03:34 PM »

Yeah, it's in October.

Offline Adami

« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2010, 09:20:22 PM »

Yeah, it's in October.

Yea, oct 31st.

Jesus was so goth.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2010, 09:23:32 PM »
Whenever it was, all that matters is that it happened.

Offline Adami

« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2010, 09:25:04 PM »
Whenever it was, all that matters is that it happened.

Would you have a problem with the church decided that christmas was now july 17th?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2010, 09:26:59 PM »
Wouldn't care at all, but society would, due to tradition.

Shoot, we can have a barbecue and presents. Lots of food and materialism, the American dream!

Offline Adami

« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2010, 09:27:57 PM »
Wouldn't care at all, but society would, due to tradition.

Shoot, we can have a barbecue and presents. Lots of food and materialism, the American dream!

Just checkin.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2010, 09:17:48 PM »

It's as good a date as any, since no one knows when he was born.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2010, 10:23:44 PM »
I do.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2010, 10:37:14 PM »
lol

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2010, 12:30:32 PM »
It's sometime in late April, per the whole positioning of the Earth and bright stars, the ones the Wise Men followed, say some guys who were on the History Channel once, that I saw, during their special.