Author Topic: Christmas season---WTF?  (Read 8056 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Christmas season---WTF?
« on: November 05, 2010, 11:44:25 AM »
I noticed this last year, but it seems to have gotten even worse.  Christmas season now begins before Halloween.  Department stores have had their Christmas displays up for over a week now.  There are people in my neighborhood who already have decorated trees out.  I thought it was supposed to begin on black Friday, or cyber Monday, or anal-rape Wednesday or something?  Isn't 4 weeks enough?

I figure it all stems from the retail sector wanting to get people splurging sooner.  What bugs me is that you'll have FOX news knuckleheads inventing more war on Christmas nonsense, but none of these people seem to notice that Christmas is being diluted to the point of irrelevance by the stores they're picketing over a difference in terminology.  The ridiculousness of my co-human neighbors never ceases to amaze me.  And Ack's wondering if I'm concerned about the Chinese????

On the bright side,  the local jazz station runs announcements that they won't play a single Christmas song before December 1. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Christmas season---WTF?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 12:32:38 PM »
I work at Kmart, and if I remember correctly, we started putting up Christmas trees at the end of September this year. We haven't done the all-out decorating yet, and there's plenty of merchandise that's not on the floor yet, but the tree displays are up.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 12:35:42 PM »
Personally, I think we should let the Free Market decide when Christmas is.  The government shouldn't legislate holidays.  If businesses decide Christmas should be celebrated October-February, then that's the most efficient and best way.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 12:57:41 PM »
Don't be ridiculous, it's Holiday season.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 01:05:54 PM »

I'm pretty sure the free market decided that Christmas is the only profitable holiday. Thus all other holidays are inferior and will be removed from our lives.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 01:16:47 PM »

I'm pretty sure the free market decided that Christmas is the only profitable holiday. Thus all other holidays are inferior and will be removed from our lives.

god i hope so, i hate holiday season with passion, my atheist ex muslim ass craves xmas.

Offline Adami

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 01:18:38 PM »

god i hope so, i hate holiday season with passion, my atheist ex muslim ass craves xmas.

I vote we rename it something more fitting. Like...

1. Presentsmas
2. Guiltsmas
3. Increasedsuicideriskmas
4. Capatalismas

Any of those work.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 01:21:30 PM »
LOL at Increasedsuicideriskmas
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 01:33:05 PM »
capitalismas sounds like the most appropriate name.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 01:35:41 PM »
The economy is in bad shape so I'm not surprised this is happening at all. If they thought it would make a difference, they would have Christmas sales in May. :tick2:
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 02:33:36 PM »
Happy Vlasto Day!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 02:37:45 PM »
LOL at Increasedsuicideriskmas

The Free Market has decided there are more suicides.  It doesn't matter if it's not true.  The Market has spoken.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 02:47:18 PM »
At HomeGoods we started putting Christmas stuff out in September. Shit's so awful

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 03:05:21 PM »
Costco had stuff out the second week of September.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 03:09:14 PM »
The thing is though, nobody starts buying it until about Halloween anyway, so there's no point in putting it out until then.

It seems like it gets earlier every year

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 03:35:56 PM »
I understand how seasonal items in retail work, and I don't have a problem with selling Christmas lights in September for people who just want to get that part of it out of the way.  A small shelf in the seasonal isle, whatever.  What I have a problem with is full-bore Christmas displays, carols, Santa and the like. 

E.F. Benson

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 04:02:00 PM »
Christmas and vampires. How do they fucking work?

wtf is the internet?

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 04:15:04 PM »
Christmas and vampires. How do they fucking work?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 04:16:13 PM »
Personally, I think we should let the Free Market decide when Christmas is.  The government shouldn't legislate holidays.  If businesses decide Christmas should be celebrated October-February, then that's the most efficient and best way.

I lol'd

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2010, 05:01:43 PM »
I noticed this last year, but it seems to have gotten even worse.  Christmas season now begins before Halloween.

Yeah man, stores have been doing for as long as I can remember. As much as I hate it, it isn't entirely surprising to see displays up in September, especially in larger box stores.

On the bright side,  the local jazz station runs announcements that they won't play a single Christmas song before December 1. 

This, however, is wonderful. I wish more radio stations would follow their example.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2010, 05:32:12 AM »
I actually saw a house decorated for Christmas last night.  I literally did a double-take.

Hey, I love Christmas and all, but I really wish the retail world would give it a rest.  This year I may get sick of it before it ever comes.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2010, 09:29:51 AM »
At the CVS we started getting X-mas stuff in September. We tried keeping it in back but we had no room to do that. So a good portion was out halfway through October.

The only thing more annoying is every other customer saying shit like "Christmas stuff already?!?!" Like they haven't been in America the last 15 years.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
I adore Christmas like when I was an 8-year old, but yeah, here's the same, all the radios and stations have been starting to play Christmas songs in late October since like 7 years ago, which feels somewhat weird and unfitting. Same with Shopping Malls.

However I think I know the reason. When asked in surveys, some people said that the worst thing about the Holiday Season, along with the debts, is that it feels too short. The Shopping malls then decided to make the season longer, starting at November.

However I think they got too fucking far. AT LEAST LET HALLOWEEN END!

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2010, 10:55:35 AM »
Christmas songs should not be allowed to be played by anyone before December 1st.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2010, 11:13:59 AM »
I was setting up Christmas displays at Home Depot October 1st.  >:(

I can't wait for December 1st, when they turn on the Christmas radio.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2010, 03:03:08 PM »

I vote we rename it something more fitting. Like...

1. Presentsmas
2. Guiltsmas
4. Capatalismas

Any of those work.

I lolled.  :lol
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2010, 08:46:26 PM »
What a beautiful name change it would be, two whole months dedicated to the wealth-generating capacity of the free market.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2010, 08:54:45 PM »

That's actually not true. https://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/suicide.asp

I don't enjoy the Christmas season being as long as it is. I don't mind it for most of the month of December, but Christmas music starting after Thanksgiving is awful. Good thing there are plenty of stations that don't play Christmas music.

Offline j

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2010, 08:55:42 PM »
What a beautiful name change it would be, two whole months dedicated to the wealth-generating capacity of the free market.

:lol

-J

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2010, 11:28:57 AM »
Christmas songs should not be allowed to be played by anyone before December 1st.
I was going to say December 24, maybe the eve of the 23rd. It's the same damn songs every year, and they give me a headache every year. And I am catholic.

Offline Adami

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2010, 11:30:30 AM »
I actually like the more church based christmas songs. Oh holy night, silent night, carol of the bells, and so forth. it's the super happy christmas songs that bug me.

Speaking of which, anyone know any great epic versions of any of the songs above? Beside TSO.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2010, 11:31:36 AM »

Capitalismas: Santa Claus' ultimate sell-out.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2010, 11:48:37 AM »
I actually like the more church based christmas songs. Oh holy night, silent night, carol of the bells, and so forth. it's the super happy christmas songs that bug me.

Speaking of which, anyone know any great epic versions of any of the songs above? Beside TSO.
Not sure I'd call it epic, but the Barenaked Ladies released a holiday album a few years ago that have some traditional and some untraditional versions of various songs. And a few that sound like they're from the Napolean Dynomite soundtrack. For Jingle Bells they do a very slow, soft verse of only piano and singing, then later they do the "Batmobile lost a wheel" verse.

Offline Adami

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2010, 11:51:12 AM »
I don't want "napolean dynamite soundtrack" type stuff. Preferably classical. Piano, vocals, orchestra, so forth.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2010, 12:04:11 PM »
I don't want "napolean dynamite soundtrack" type stuff. Preferably classical. Piano, vocals, orchestra, so forth.
Yeah, that's only two or three songs on the album.