Author Topic: Would you vote for a candidate that wasn't "Squeaky-Clean"?  (Read 1563 times)

Offline Seventh Son

Would you vote for a candidate that wasn't "Squeaky-Clean"?
« on: November 04, 2010, 03:32:13 PM »
What I mean is, take a candidate that has the ability to right the sinking ship that is US politics. Here's the deal, he's fucked up a few times in his life. Did drugs at one point, been through many failed marriages, likes to party on Saturday night, etc.

Do you care if he has a sketchy past as long as he's open about it, so long as he can actually deliver the goods? I think a lot of time time is spent by politicians attacking other aspects of another politician's past in the hopes of discouraging his potential voters if his record isn't 100% perfect (Which no politician really is). This infuriates, but intrigues me too. I think we worry about thinking that our political leaders should be perfect when its pretty obvious nobody is perfect at all when we could be focusing on what the politician CAN do, and not what he has already done.

If said politician was very open about everything in his past, would you vote for him?
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline j

Re: Would you vote for a candidate that wasn't "Squeaky-Clean"?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 03:43:15 PM »
Don't know whether I'd vote for them, but I'd see it as a plus.

First of all, I understand the argument that certain "personal" details of a candidate's life could be indicative of character flaws, etc.  Obviously, it's gone way beyond that in this country.

However, if a politician was open and honest about past mistakes, possibly objectionable aspects of his lifestyle, etc, that is far more admirable on its own than using deception to appear "squeaky-clean", as you put it.  Unfortunately, all you ever see is retrospective insincere "admissions" and "regrets" after somebody digs up their shit, and we're supposed to buy that as genuine, honest remorse?  It's like the fucking Tiger Woods scandal: he's sorry because he got caught.

I don't care if you used to snort coke or shoot up: that has no bearing on whether or not you are fit for public office.  Copious amounts of dishonesty and deception, however, are another story.

-J

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 04:05:26 PM »
I'd consider it a big, big plus.  First off, I don't think that any politicians actually have squeaky clean pasts, so trying to present themselves as choir boys only offends me.  More important,  I'd like someone who represents me to be an actual human being.  Somebody who's gone their entire life abstaining doesn't fit the bill, in my opinion.  I'd prefer a candidate who actually did enjoy going out and having a good time.

The same thing goes for sex.  A person who has that standard Christian view on sexuality doesn't even come close to representing my values. 

I didn't like Obama as a candidate much.  The two things that actually did make me appreciate him more was his tendency to bum smokes off of people, and the consideration that he'd probably be the first president in 40 years to bend his wife over the East wing parapet their first night in the White House. 

Vice is human.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 04:34:49 PM »
Someone who had that many screw ups in their life will have much more in common with the every day American. I would be more inclined to vote for them as long as what they were preaching was okay with me.

I know it's from a movie that was not meant to be take seriously. But this is the type of candidate I'd like to see. Start at the 7:00 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igg8NYlZZJ8

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 05:33:32 PM »
I would actually be more inclined to support someone like this(depending on their views) than someone that claims to practically walk on water as long as they weren't hamming it up to get "street cred".

The people that act like they're perfect are the ones that scare me more than anything.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 05:44:53 PM »
I don't concern myself with a persons past and what he did. It comes down to where he is at now. If he has it all together now and has what it takes, I would vote for him. We all have a past and it shouldn't haunt us. Its about the here and the now. Second chances are what life is all about.
:tick2:

« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 08:21:43 PM by tick »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 05:45:52 PM »
I don't concern myself with a persons past and what he did. It comes down to where he is at now. If he has it all together now and had what it takes, I would vote for him. We all have a past and it shouldn't haunt us. Its about the here and the now. Second chances are what life is all about.
:tick2:

Well said blue man.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 11:59:27 PM »
Don't care about previous indiscretions. In fact, provided that he or she had the right platform, I'd like a president who was once known for smoking weed and wielding a 7-string guitar in a metal band.

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 03:14:51 AM »
The U.S. seems to be the only place that goes nuts over politician's personal lives. Probably because they look to the president to also be a type of "moral leader".

wtf is the internet?

Offline Vivace

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 02:20:59 AM »
Sure would, if he was the right guy for the job. Just so as long as he's not too dirty.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 05:37:04 AM »
I vote for a candidate who isn't squeaky-clean every time I vote.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.