Author Topic: Ron Paul In Charge of Federal Reserve Oversight *Confirmed*  (Read 7019 times)

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
Ron Paul In Charge of Federal Reserve Oversight *Confirmed*
« on: November 03, 2010, 08:41:23 PM »
https://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/1110/Ron_Paul_in_charge_of_Federal_Reserve_oversight.html

November 03, 2010

Ron Paul in charge of Federal Reserve oversight?

Here's a little irony in the House GOP sweep: The next chairman of the monetary policy subcommittee -- overseeing the Federal Reserve?

None other than Ron Paul (R-Texas), who'd just as soon abolish the Fed.

Paul is the ranking member of the Subcommittee on Domestic Monetary Policy and Technology on the Financial Services , which oversees the Federal Reserve, the U.S. Mint and American involvement with international development groups like the World Bank. Unless someone bumps him, he's next in line for the subcommittee gavel.

Paul is critical of all the institutions he would oversee. He's long called for killing the Federal Reserve, and this year tried to get an audit of the Fed into the Wall Street reform bill. He's asserted that the dollar should be tied to the gold standard in order to keep it from losing its value.

The committee has been low key under Rep. Melvin Watts (D-N.C.). His web site says he plans to hold hearings on "equal access by the visually impaired to U.S. coins and currency."

It's safe to say that a Paul chairmanship might be a little more intense.

The Republican Conference will vote on Paul leading the subcommittee, taking into consideration seniority and Republican leadership's preference. Paul's office didn't return a request for comment.

What the hell, is November the best month ever or what?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 06:55:49 PM by emindead »

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
Re: Ron Paul In Charge of Federal Reserve Oversight?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 09:01:25 PM »
Awesome. Not sure how much of an effect this will actually have on the Fed's policies though. But I'm all for more epic Bernanke v.s. Paul battles  :corn

wtf is the internet?

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 07:32:26 AM »
Cool. As much as I disagree with a guy, it's probably a good position for him.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 07:37:45 AM »
ah great, we have the idiot wolf looking after the sheep.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 09:36:50 AM »
It's fantastic news, assuming he actually gets the position. There's no member of Congress I'd rather have doing it.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 10:24:58 AM »
It's fantastic news, assuming he actually gets the position. There's no member of Congress I'd rather have doing it.

I agree...the Fed is pure danger..I wish Ron all the best.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 01:07:07 PM by EPICVIEW »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline jsem

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 12:54:50 PM »
UP THE PAULS! RON PAUL FTW

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 04:04:23 PM »
So when RP makes no difference really, will people finally accept that the system can't easily be fixed?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 04:11:50 PM »
So when RP makes no difference really, will people finally accept that the system can't easily be fixed?
I don't think anyone thinks it can be easily fixed. I think Ron Paul has the right ideas to fix a lot of things, but obviously he won't get the necessary support to put those ideas into action.

Offline Adami

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 04:13:32 PM »
I don't think anyone thinks it can be easily fixed. I think Ron Paul has the right ideas to fix a lot of things, but obviously he won't get the necessary support to put those ideas into action.

I just got sick of the whole "Elect RP! He'll get rid of the gov! The man will fix the country!"

No he won't. He may have the best intentions, but he won't get anything done. I hope that this shows people that it's just not going to happen. And then everyone can be as miserable as me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 04:51:11 PM »
I would agree. He has good intentions, and he seems like a smart guy. But, I find him a bit a Piper of Hamelin. His disciples I think also like their position of impotence, since it allows them to go all balls out with their opinions.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 05:22:37 PM »

I just got sick of the whole "Elect RP! He'll get rid of the gov! The man will fix the country!"

No he won't. He may have the best intentions, but he won't get anything done. I hope that this shows people that it's just not going to happen. And then everyone can be as miserable as me.
Like Billy Corgan once said, "The world is a vampire".

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 06:27:55 PM »
This may be the best thing to come out of the Republican victory. The Fed has a LOT of problems and it will be nice to have someone in there that actually has an interest in taking them to task for those issues.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 06:41:46 PM »
I don't think the Fed has nearly as many problems as people say it has. In fact, I rather get the impression it struggles to smooth out an economy that's shaken left and right through rampant over-speculation and lack of financial regulation.

rumborak

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 06:47:31 PM »
I don't think the Fed has nearly as many problems as people say it has. In fact, I rather get the impression it struggles to smooth out an economy that's shaken left and right through rampant over-speculation and lack of financial regulation.

rumborak
lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 06:49:10 PM »
Oh, I'm fully aware that you see the government and its financial branch as the source of essentially all evil, and that the free market would solve it all.

It's just hilariously unconvincing.

rumborak

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 07:20:40 PM »
Let's pump more money into the market and see what happens, maybe the massive printing two years ago was not enough. Oh, the economy busted... again? Hmmm, what's missing. Oh, that's right we just need to regulate it more.

The Hyperinflation of the Weimar days and the most recent in Zimbabwe actually happened, they weren't fairy tales. We are all subject to the laws of gravity as well of the markets. If you think that's not true then you just might as well fly like Superman.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 07:22:53 PM »
Oh, I'm fully aware that you see the government and its financial branch as the source of essentially all evil, and that the free market would solve it all.

It's just hilariously unconvincing.

rumborak

I find it convincing sometimes, but never from emindead.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 07:36:09 PM »
lol

Edit: and that's something that I've noticed. When people like Ron Paul or Peter Schiff propose their solutions people say "they are crazy; I don't like them". But when someone from their own team say the same things these guys said they go
-"yeah, that sounds reasonable"
-"but it's the same thing Ron and Peter said"
-"yeah, but I don't like those guys"

Welcome to third grade.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 07:42:57 PM by emindead »

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 07:45:26 PM »
I'm not particularly sold on Laissez-faire style economics.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2010, 07:47:23 PM »
Yeah, I wasn't at first, too.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2010, 07:52:05 PM »
So I take it you're arguing for complete deregulation?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2010, 08:14:49 PM »
I still think that actual regulation of the fed is a better solution that the drastic armistice-like measures Ron Paul proposes, especially since if it DOESN'T work we can always try his more troublesome and overly-idealist plan (well, granted the rest of the world agrees to as well), but if emindead thinks that logic comes from a third-grader, so be it. Honestly, what emindead thinks about my intelligence has no impact on me whatsoever.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2010, 08:15:53 PM »
Pretty much.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2010, 08:16:59 PM »
I still think that actual regulation of the fed is a better solution that the drastic armistice-like measures Ron Paul proposes, especially since if it DOESN'T work we can always try his more troublesome and overly-idealist plan (well, granted the rest of the world agrees to as well), but if emindead thinks that logic comes from a third-grader, so be it. Honestly, what emindead thinks about my intelligence has no impact on me whatsoever.
Whoosh?

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2010, 08:17:22 PM »
Pretty much.
Did the thought of huge corporations raping the average consumer ever come to mind?

Offline Adami

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2010, 08:21:16 PM »
Did the thought of huge corporations raping the average consumer ever come to mind?

The extremist libertarians here operate on the mindset that the public is somehow unified and will not allow corporations to take advantage of them.

Here's there logic.

1. Companies make products
2. Consumers pick only the best
3. Companies that make the best survive and keep making good products/Companies that make inferior products go out of business due to a lack of interest
4.???
5. Ron Paul.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2010, 08:23:35 PM »
Whoosh?

What's the point? Neither you, nor Ron Paul, have ever acknowledge that "ending" the fed is pretty much a pipe-dream unless you can get the rest of the world to go along with it. And neither have you, nor Ron Paul, ever considered what most economists suggest-- that 'regulating' the fed would solve the problem, and is much easier and more realistic to do than 'ending' the fed-- when you talk about this stuff. So I don't see what the point is.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2010, 08:33:05 PM »
What's the point? Neither you, nor Ron Paul, have ever acknowledge that "ending" the fed is pretty much a pipe-dream unless you can get the rest of the world to go along with it. And neither have you, nor Ron Paul, ever considered what most economists suggest-- that 'regulating' the fed would solve the problem, and is much easier and more realistic to do than 'ending' the fed-- when you talk about this stuff. So I don't see what the point is.
"Ever considered what most economists suggest." Who are these economists?

Funny, we have been following the suggestions of the most "eminent" economists all this time and we are still in this mess. Are you suggesting that I should keep listening to them?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2010, 08:38:57 PM »
First Point: "Ever considered what most economists suggest." Who are these economists?

2nd Point: Funny, we have been following the suggestions of the most "eminent" economists all this time and we are still in this mess. Are you suggesting that I should keep listening to them?

I'll answer the 2nd question first: No, we're not following the most "eminent" economists "all this time."

Now, for the first point: If you really don't know who the others ones are, then you have no real reason to fap all over the austrian school. And judging by your 2nd point, you don't, but I shouldn't have to answer the question for you.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2010, 08:55:50 PM »
If you really don't know who the others ones are, then you have no real reason to fap all over the austrian school.
I have no idea which economists you are referring to... and I'm supposed to know. I think we reached a dead end here.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2010, 09:10:57 PM »
If you really don't know who the others ones are, then you have no real reason to fap all over the austrian school.
I have no idea which economists you are referring to... and I'm supposed to know. I think we reached a dead end here.

If you don't know anything about economists except for the ones that other libertarians have spoon-fed you to learn about, then please don't refer to people who disagree with you about economic philosophies "3rd Graders." That's all.

I'm not an economist like you, but I do survey what's out there from time to time, and rarely, if ever, do I ever see even free-market and pro-capitalist economists suggest Ron Paul's draconian austrian measures.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2010, 09:25:20 PM »
As they say, if all you have is a hammer, every problem will start looking like a nail.

rumborak

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2010, 09:29:22 PM »
Right. It will be interesting, though, to see if Ron Paul can make the transformation from "Political 'alpha male' pounding his chest on the sidelines" to "important politician who has to make something work or just become another part of the problem."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2010, 10:17:13 PM »
What power does this subcommittee possess? I was under the impression the Fed is an independent entity.

rumborak
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 10:26:15 PM by rumborak »