Author Topic: Technical Neil Peart Question  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Norwood

• Keep it all in perspective.
Technical Neil Peart Question
« on: November 03, 2010, 07:47:38 AM »
Over at Wikipedia it states that Peart is especially proficient at:

sometimes total separation between upper and lower limb patterns: e.g. an ostinato dubbed "The Waltz"

This is in context of his solos, apparently, so I've been studying his solos trying to find exactly where he pulls this off.  I have no doubt he can and is, I'm just not good enough to hear it.

Can someone give me a time-frame...be it during one of his solos or in a song...where he is doing this?

[[--Comic Nut's Jar--]]  --  Comics.Politics.Computers  --  [[--The Sneakernet--]]  --  Computers.Toys.Geekdom

Offline The Letter M

Re: Technical Neil Peart Question
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 08:30:22 AM »
Over at Wikipedia it states that Peart is especially proficient at:

sometimes total separation between upper and lower limb patterns: e.g. an ostinato dubbed "The Waltz"

This is in context of his solos, apparently, so I've been studying his solos trying to find exactly where he pulls this off.  I have no doubt he can and is, I'm just not good enough to hear it.

Can someone give me a time-frame...be it during one of his solos or in a song...where he is doing this?

Listen to either Neil's "Der Trommler" or "De Slagwerker". The better example happens in his latest solo but he talked about his limb independence in his video, Anatomy Of A Drum Solo. It seems that during the R30 tour, he was able to break free of time-constraints and his arms were able to move in different tempos AND meters while his feet kept the waltz ostinato (bass-hat-hat).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEVrN9SdRuk - listen at 2:57, he begins the waltz and stays mostly in time with his feet, but at 3:40, he plays a pattern in 7/8 in a different tempo, still keeping the waltz with his feet. Then at 3:50 he begins playing a groove on his 3rd and 4th toms and snare in 4/4 (and a different tempo), then switches to a groove that's similar to one found in "Test For Echo".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdlD_2Hbox4 - The entire opening of this solo is an exercise around limb independence, similar to the waltz but he switches his feet from a march-like bass-hat-rest-hat to the bass-hat-hat waltz while going crazy on the toms/snare in various tempi and meters.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 08:45:44 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 08:42:47 AM »
I think you probably need to know what it is you're really looking for, or at.  :lol  Neil uses this technique in hundreds of performances. This is how he pulls off so many varied complex rythyms. He is a master at using both his hands and his feet to fill various parts of the structure. He can create a roll incorporating both hands and feet and never miss a beat. Max Roach and Gene Krupa were also very good at this, and NP was very heavily influenced by Krupa when he was young. In fact the song you referenced is not called "The Waltz", but it's a song by Roach entitled "The Drum Also Waltzes". As for NP, it's not something that he does. It's just his style of play. A good solo example of his ability to do this would be "O Baterista"
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Norwood

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 08:43:46 AM »
I think you probably need to know what it is you're really looking for, or at.  :lol  

That's why I said, "I have no doubt he can and is, I'm just not good enough to hear it."

[[--Comic Nut's Jar--]]  --  Comics.Politics.Computers  --  [[--The Sneakernet--]]  --  Computers.Toys.Geekdom

Offline Norwood

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 08:51:54 AM »

Listen to either Neil's "Der Trommler" or "De Slagwerker". The better example happens in his latest solo but he talked about hsi limb independence in his video, Anatomy Of A Drum Solo. It seems that during the R30 tour, he was able to break free of time-constraints and his arms were able to move in different tempos AND meters while his feet kept the waltz ostinato (bass-hat-hat).

Thank you!

That was a perfect example.  That kind of dexterity is astounding.  Personally, it was easier to recognize visually, with your time references.  So knowing right when to "listen up" helped.

Switching time signatures that complex is bad-ass enough without upper/lower independence.  Throw in that independence AND different tempos and it just blows me away.

I'd give my right arm to have one millionth of his talent.

Wait...if I did that...  :P

Thanks again!

-
Paul

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 08:58:36 AM »

Listen to either Neil's "Der Trommler" or "De Slagwerker". The better example happens in his latest solo but he talked about hsi limb independence in his video, Anatomy Of A Drum Solo. It seems that during the R30 tour, he was able to break free of time-constraints and his arms were able to move in different tempos AND meters while his feet kept the waltz ostinato (bass-hat-hat).

Thank you!

That was a perfect example.  That kind of dexterity is astounding.  Personally, it was easier to recognize visually, with your time references.  So knowing right when to "listen up" helped.

Switching time signatures that complex is bad-ass enough without upper/lower independence.  Throw in that independence AND different tempos and it just blows me away.

I'd give my right arm to have one millionth of his talent.

Thanks again!

-
Paul

No problem! Glad I could help! If you really want to digest more of Neil, I would highly suggest getting Anatomy Of A Drum Solo. Definitely one of my favorite drum videos of all time, and Neil really goes in depth! He also does a couple of free-form explorations on his amazing R30 kit! For as much as you get on the DVD, it's quite worth it!

And for the last decade, my main drumming inspiration has always been Neil, and his way of playing definitely influenced mine, among others (Portnoy and Collins being the other two). His use of limb independence influenced me to try and develop mine, but I've been out of practice over the last couple years :( Either way, he definitely helped me grow as a drummer, and his playing over the last few tours and albums has really shined!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 09:00:41 AM »
[I'd give my right arm to have one millionth of his talent.

......you'd be the drummer for Def Leppard    :biggrin:
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 09:02:46 AM »
Ninja'ed

Offline Norwood

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 09:06:27 AM »
[I'd give my right arm to have one millionth of his talent.

......you'd be the drummer for Def Leppard    :biggrin:

:rollin