Author Topic: Bible in a Year! v. February  (Read 46295 times)

Offline Ħ

Re: Bible in a Year! v. It's almost time...
« Reply #105 on: January 01, 2011, 03:03:35 PM »
You mean...Santa isn't in the Bible???

:(
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #106 on: January 01, 2011, 03:06:15 PM »
Not according to most reliable translations.  ;)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #107 on: January 01, 2011, 03:13:03 PM »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #108 on: January 01, 2011, 04:14:19 PM »
Two things about the Documentary Hypothesis that I have a problem with:

1) It is just a theory.  It is based on internal rather than external evidence. There is no substantial manuscript evidence that demands that the DH must be true.  Rather, the reason scholars divide the Pentateuch like they do is based on their own method of categorization.  To a lesser degree, it is similar to a person claiming that Shakespeare couldn't have written both Much Ado About Nothing and Hamlet, since one is comedic and the other is tragic.

2) There are so many apparent so-called contradictions that are close in proximity, such as the two creation accounts, and God's commandment to Noah in regard to what types of animals and how many he is to bring on the ark.  If the Documentary Hypothesis is true, the Redactor must have been either blind or extremely lax when he caught these mistakes.
I think your first point displays a fundamental misunderstanding of the hypothesis.  Your Shakespeare comparison is completely invalid.  And your second point about the Redactor shows a misunderstanding about what he was trying to do.

bosky, I think that the recognition of different depictions of God is one of the best ways to get the most out of what the text actually says.  It's a discussion about what we're reading.  There's no reason that everyone has to agree with what anyone's viewpoint is on what we read.  In fact, I am not expecting much agreement on almost anything.  But the sharing of the different views is where the strength of the study lies, IMHO.  I mean, I've read the Bible before, many times.  I'm looking forward to sharing my views on various texts, and learning the views of others, whether I agree with them or not.  I may gain a new point of view which I may not have previously encountered.  Or, I might get some new laughs.  Either way, I am very excited about the possibilities.

Having said that, I share your opinion of the gap theory.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #109 on: January 01, 2011, 06:44:37 PM »
I think your first point displays a fundamental misunderstanding of the hypothesis.  Your Shakespeare comparison is completely invalid.  And your second point about the Redactor shows a misunderstanding about what he was trying to do.
What is it that I am misunderstanding in both thiese cases?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Bible in a Year! v. January
« Reply #110 on: January 01, 2011, 06:52:52 PM »
And here we go...

:trainwreck:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #111 on: January 01, 2011, 07:25:32 PM »
lol

It was bound to happen, I mean come on, it is the bible.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #112 on: January 01, 2011, 10:27:12 PM »
Oh i almost forgot about this!  *reads today's amount*

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #113 on: January 01, 2011, 11:18:06 PM »
my daily bible is packed up, but I was in a bible bookstore so I grabbed one off the shelf and got caught up for a while  :biggrin:

Offline Ħ

« Reply #114 on: January 02, 2011, 12:08:34 AM »
Just finished the reading.

Got a quick comment/question.  Gen 3:8 (ESV) says this:

8And they heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool[c] of the day, and the man and his wife(H) hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God among the trees of the garden.

The syntax of the first clause is confusing.  Who was "walking in the garden"--Adam and Eve, or God?  Depending on how you read it, it seems like you could interpret it either way.  But if it is God that is walking in the garden, that seems odd to me, since God the Father is an omniprescent being that (to my knowledge) always hangs out in heaven and doesn't manifest himself on Earth.  Although I have heard arguments that the personified God in the OT is actually Jesus, and I don't see too much of a problem with that.

Anyway, this verse has always been awkward for me.  

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 12:15:50 AM by BrotherH »

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #115 on: January 02, 2011, 12:13:13 AM »
I've always understood the garden of Eden (prior to sin/fall) was where God had a real relationship with His people.  sin severed that relationship, hence heaven will be a return to the relationship of Eden

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #116 on: January 02, 2011, 12:13:58 AM »

Got a quick comment/question.  Gen 2:8 (ESV) says this:

8And they heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool[c] of the day, and the man and his wife(H) hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God among the trees of the garden.

The syntax of the first clause is confusing.  Who was "walking in the garden"--Adam and Eve, or God?  Depending on how you read it, it seems like you could interpret it either way.  But if it is God that is walking in the garden, that seems odd to me, since God the Father is an omniprescent being that (to my knowledge) always hangs out in heaven and doesn't manifest himself on Earth.  Although I have heard arguments that the personified God in the OT is actually Jesus, and I don't see too much of a problem with that.

Anyway, this verse has always been awkward for me. 

Thoughts?

wut

I agree the syntax is odd, but I think the author meant Adam and Eve were walking.  Doesn't really make sense in any other context.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #117 on: January 02, 2011, 12:18:16 AM »
Ok I just looked it up in the NIV which says

8 Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the LORD God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the LORD God among the trees of the garden.

I don't completely trust the NIV because of its thought-for-thought translation style but so far it looks like it is God that is walking.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 12:27:34 AM by BrotherH »

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #118 on: January 02, 2011, 12:33:05 AM »
Just read The Creation by Neal Morse, with God's take on it. No cool synth solos, though. :(

Offline Ħ

« Reply #119 on: January 02, 2011, 12:35:04 AM »
No cool synth solos, though. :(
Wait a minute, is such a thing even possible?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #120 on: January 02, 2011, 06:18:35 AM »
What is it that I am misunderstanding in both thiese cases?
Hmm, maybe bosk1 was right. lol

By the way, I think that this passage is talking about God walking, not Adam and Eve.  They heard him walking.  That's why they hid.  This is consistent with J's anthropomorphic depiction of God.  And the incongruity of the depictions of God throughout the Pentateuch is one of the lynchpins of the Documentary Hypothesis.

I think that any interpretation of this being Jesus is not treating the text with the respect it deserves.  The author didn't have any concept of Jesus.  BH, I also don't get your idea that God just hangs out in Heaven and never manifests himself on Earth.  The Bible (especially the OT) is replete with depictions of God's interactions with humans.

IMHO
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #121 on: January 02, 2011, 07:07:06 AM »
Today's reading, Genesis 4-7, is another rich literary expression of the ancient Israelites.  I will continue to look at it from the viewpoint of the Documentary Hypothesis.

Chapter 4 is all from the J source, and features the story of Cain and Abel (again showing God taking a personal and individual interest in the characters of the story) and the beginnings of civilization.

Most scholars feel that chapter 5 isn't from J, E, P, or D, but rather is part of a hypothetical document called by some the Book of Generations that the Redactor used to unify the different texts he used in formulating the book of Genesis.

With chapter 6, we get an interesting bit involving the sons of God and the daughters of men, who produced the Nephilim.  This leads to God's grief over the increasing wickedness of humanity, and God's regret in creating them in the first place, and his resolve to destroy what he had created.  All of this, from verses 1-8, are from the J source.  This is followed by the rest of chapter 6, drawn from the P source, which is an account of God's revelation to Noah and his disclosure of his plan to Noah.

Beginning in chapter 7, we get a real taste of the Redactor's artistry, as this entire chapter, along with chapter 8 in tomorrow's reading (the entire depiction of the Flood story), feature him weaving bits of J and P, two separate accounts of the Flood, together into a rich and vibrant tapestry.

At any rate, we see in today's reading that God can become angry, yet remain compassionate (Cain), and is capable of regret, which is a strange quality in a being who is normally depicted as all-powerful and all-knowing.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #122 on: January 02, 2011, 01:57:37 PM »
Spoiler: Adam really knows Eve hard.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #123 on: January 02, 2011, 01:59:50 PM »
Know her?  I barely...

Wait a second.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #124 on: January 02, 2011, 02:12:30 PM »
That's right, you saw what I did there.

On a serious note... I have a few questions for y'all. Why do Adam,  Eve (aka A&E) and the rest of the family even bother to worship this God. There really is no point; they have been kicked out of paradise, never too return. When they work hard and give offerings, God seems to care more about the animal sacrifice and not the hard work put into the sacrifice. On top of all this he is all about cursing them for life when they do minor things not including the murder. Plus hell doesn't exist for mortals yet as far as the story is concerned.

Any thoughts?   

Offline Ħ

« Reply #125 on: January 02, 2011, 02:39:32 PM »
Reading for January 2 is Genesis 4-7. (sorry to steal your thunder hef, I just like to feel official  :biggrin:)

On a serious note... I have a few questions for y'all. Why do Adam,  Eve (aka A&E) and the rest of the family even bother to worship this God. There really is no point; they have been kicked out of paradise, never too return. When they work hard and give offerings, God seems to care more about the animal sacrifice and not the hard work put into the sacrifice. On top of all this he is all about cursing them for life when they do minor things not including the murder. Plus hell doesn't exist for mortals yet as far as the story is concerned.

The way I take it is that there is a hierarchy between the creatures and the man.  The purpose of God creating man is to have dominion over all the earth and the rest of earth's creatures (Gen 1:26).  We can see a manifestation of this purpose when God allows Adam to name the animals (Gen 2:19).  There are other cross references form other books that support this concept but I can't remember any.

When Adam and Eve are kicked out, the earth falls under the curse, and they lose that dominion, so I think they experience both 1) the desire to get on top like they once were, and 2) fear of more punishment if they continue to be rebellious.

And regarding God being super anal about cursing man for seemingly little things, remember that God doesn't view any sin as "little" or "big" (as I have heard from the Catholic Church).  Mat 5:28 says that being mentally lustful is just as bad as actually committing adultery.  Jam 2:10 says that whoever is guilty of one sin is guilty of all.  So even though something might seem minor and insignificant to us or Adam and Eve, remember that in the Bible, God is the final judge on matters and it really doesn't matter how man sees it.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #126 on: January 02, 2011, 03:13:58 PM »
Where do you get the idea that the earth fell under a curse after they were expelled from the garden?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ħ

« Reply #127 on: January 02, 2011, 03:17:36 PM »
You don't get that by reading only Genesis.  I believe it talks about that in Romans.

EDIT: compare Gen 3:17-19 and Rom 8:20-23

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #128 on: January 02, 2011, 03:18:36 PM »
You don't get that by reading only Genesis.  I believe it talks about that in Romans.

Oh, Paul. Nevermind then, carry on.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #129 on: January 02, 2011, 04:47:30 PM »

Got a quick comment/question.  Gen 3:8 (ESV) says this:

The syntax of the first clause is confusing.  Who was "walking in the garden"--Adam and Eve, or God?

I must say I am confused by that you think the syntax is confusing. I mean, if your point was that the translation is faulty I could see it in some way, but the passage, to me at least, is crystal-clear. God walks in the garden, Adam and Eve hear it, they hide because they hear Him.
And I'm not in the least confused by that either. The Jewish god is a very heavy-handed and often vengeful guy; somebody you better not get in the way of.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #130 on: January 03, 2011, 01:47:41 AM »
An interesting thing I recently read about the genealogy of Genesis 5, when you translate those names from Hebrew to English.

Adam -> Man
Seth -> Appointed
Enosh -> Mortal
Kenan -> Sorrow
Mahalalel -> The Blessed God
Jared -> Shall come down
Enoch -> Teaching
Methuselah  -> His death shall bring
Lamech -> The despairing
Noah -> Rest, or comfort

Potential evidence of design?

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: January 03, 2011, 01:50:25 AM »
Whoa...
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #132 on: January 03, 2011, 01:53:15 AM »

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #133 on: January 03, 2011, 01:59:19 AM »
You mean...Santa isn't in the Bible???

:(

Oh man, I read that "Santa" as "Sonata"

and I was like

Yeah I'm in there. But they call me stuff like God or Him or He and stuff.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #134 on: January 03, 2011, 04:54:15 AM »

If we are reading this in order, shouldn't we not cloud what we read by later interpretations of things?  If it doesn't say it in Genesis, then we shouldn't bring it in yet. 

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #135 on: January 03, 2011, 06:50:57 AM »
One plot hole that always bugged me: Adam and Eve have Cain and Abel.  They are the only four humans on Earth.  Then Cain kills Abel, and moves to Nod.  Then: bam! In Genesis 4:17, all of a sudden he has a wife.  Where did she come from? 

Offline Ħ

« Reply #136 on: January 03, 2011, 07:31:11 AM »
Reading for January 3 is Genesis 8-11.

One plot hole that always bugged me: Adam and Eve have Cain and Abel.  They are the only four humans on Earth.  Then Cain kills Abel, and moves to Nod.  Then: bam! In Genesis 4:17, all of a sudden he has a wife.  Where did she come from? 
Gen 5:4 says that Adam had sons and daughters...so yes, Cain married a sister (or perhaps a niece).

*threat neutralized*

If we are reading this in order, shouldn't we not cloud what we read by later interpretations of things?  If it doesn't say it in Genesis, then we shouldn't bring it in yet. 

You're right.  One more reason for spoiler tags.  :yeahright

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #137 on: January 03, 2011, 07:35:37 AM »

Gen 5:4 says that Adam had sons and daughters...so yes, Cain married a sister (or perhaps a niece).

*threat neutralized*

Actually, it says he had other sons and daughters after Seth.  It's far from clear whether or not it says Adam and Eve had daughters beforehand.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #138 on: January 03, 2011, 07:42:16 AM »

*threat neutralized*

Actually, it says he had other sons and daughters after Seth.  It's far from clear whether or not it says Adam and Eve had daughters beforehand.
But at the same time it isn't a far cry by any stretch of the imagination to entertain the idea that Adam had other children before Seth.  The Bible doesn't mention every single child of every single character (nor does it have to).  I imagine Abel's murder occured at least 16 years or so after they were born.  Back then the women pumped out babies left and right and I don't think A&E would have waited so long to have Seth.

But it seems like you've made up your mind.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #139 on: January 03, 2011, 08:03:42 AM »

*threat neutralized*

But at the same time it isn't a far cry by any stretch of the imagination to entertain the idea that Adam had other children before Seth.  The Bible doesn't mention every single child of every single character (nor does it have to).  I imagine Abel's murder occured at least 16 years or so after they were born.  Back then the women pumped out babies left and right and I don't think A&E would have waited so long to have Seth.

But it seems like you've made up your mind.

Nah, I'm just nitpicking.  It was something that jumped out at me the first time I read it, and it still does.  Besides, it's much easier to point out and discuss these little things than the big issues.