Author Topic: Bible in a Year! v. February  (Read 46205 times)

Offline GuineaPig

Re: Bible in a Year! v. January
« Reply #350 on: January 23, 2011, 07:02:14 AM »
The only way having food rained down on you could be awesome is if it was bacon instead.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #351 on: January 23, 2011, 07:24:21 AM »
I just can't wait 'til Judges.
I agree, Judges is great stuff.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #352 on: January 23, 2011, 05:35:52 PM »
Just finished up the Ten Commandments and all the other, less-important laws. I wonder what's up with all that stuff about the Ox. Were Oxes that 'accidentally' killed people they didn't belong to a problem for Ancient Hebrews?

Anyway, this reading was pretty much just a small preview of the next book  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 09:38:55 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #353 on: January 24, 2011, 08:38:39 AM »
The only way having food rained down on you could be awesome is if it was bacon instead.

I see your point.  However, given that they were Jews, it probably would have been slightly less awesome for them if it went down that way.

And Jethro's advice to Moses (paraphase:  "Dude, I know you're a control freak, and that's cool and all, but you have to learn to delegate so you don't get burned out") should be mandatory reading for Mike Portnoy.  Just saying...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #354 on: January 24, 2011, 09:51:20 AM »
Just finished up the Ten Commandments
I give you these 15

*drop*

*crash*

These 10 Commandments.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #355 on: January 24, 2011, 09:54:40 AM »
it never ceases to amaze me how much Moses put up with in leading the people....they were so whiny and ungrateful and fickle. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #356 on: January 24, 2011, 10:07:01 AM »
Kinda like DTF, but in the desert.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 10:32:57 AM by yeshaberto »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #357 on: January 24, 2011, 10:33:13 AM »
Kinda like DTF, but in the desert.

bosks version of Never Enough coming up next

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #358 on: January 24, 2011, 10:45:01 AM »
Working on it.  Moses has committed to laying down the bass lines (stick actually; he's more comfortable with that instrument given that stick and staff aren't really that different).  Problem is, Portnoy hasn't returned my emails about doing drums.  Still, I'm optimistic, and actually looking forward to performing with two such renowned Jews.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: January 24, 2011, 10:43:16 PM »
For today's reading: any in favor for bosk remodeling the ToS based on Hebrew law? I mean I could totally see this:

Users who violate the rules will be warned at most three times before action is taken against them. The actions taken are largely at the moderators' discretion and will be scaled with the severity of the infraction. If you have a question about a rule or the punishment you received for breaking a rule, PM or e-mail a moderator. Please don't start threads about individual cases of moderation.

Becoming something like this:

If it is found that any among you have violated the Laws, bosk shall warn you thrice and then wrath shall layeth upon you, and you shall be subject to the moderators tribunal. And then you may make personal sacrifice and find respite, but only through the good grace of the moderators or bosk himself, for our bosk is a just bosk. You shall not employ other means to reach those ends, and you shall not hold prayer or give birth to new threads in the public forum for the sake of your own justice, for then you will only incur additional wrath.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #360 on: January 24, 2011, 11:05:02 PM »
lol
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #361 on: January 25, 2011, 06:44:17 AM »
For today's reading: any in favor for bosk remodeling the ToS based on Hebrew law? I mean I could totally see this:

Users who violate the rules will be warned at most three times before action is taken against them. The actions taken are largely at the moderators' discretion and will be scaled with the severity of the infraction. If you have a question about a rule or the punishment you received for breaking a rule, PM or e-mail a moderator. Please don't start threads about individual cases of moderation.

Becoming something like this:

If it is found that any among you have violated the Laws, bosk shall warn you thrice and then wrath shall layeth upon you, and you shall be subject to the moderators tribunal. And then you may make personal sacrifice and find respite, but only through the good grace of the moderators or bosk himself, for our bosk is a just bosk. You shall not employ other means to reach those ends, and you shall not hold prayer or give birth to new threads in the public forum for the sake of your own justice, for then you will only incur additional wrath.

:rollin :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :rollin

Priceless.  You, my friend, are awarded one free Internet.

***EVERYBODY PLEASE READ THIS***

Today's reading starts a fairly grueling stretch where we do get more interesting narrative, but also get very LARGE chunks of laws, rules for festivals and holy days, and detailed instructions for the Jews about building the tabernacle and how they were to conduct their worship.  This is a part of the Bible where a lot of people who are trying to read the whole thing get bored, get behind, and give up.  I can understand that.  Most of that sort of thing is very foreign to us and the majority of it is really specific to the ancient Jews only and is not even applicable in modern times, so it can be hard to stay interested.  I want to encourage everyone who is participating to give it your best shot and to know that it gets more interesting again.  And if you fall behind, here is some advice to consider:  I don't want to step on BrotherH's toes, since he started the thread, but if you fall far behind and don't think you can catch up, rather than giving up, skip ahead to what the daily reading is.  If you have time later, go back and catch up.  But otherwise, just jump back in on schedule so you can keep up and (1) participate in the discussion, if any, and (2) you can still make it to the end and have read most of it.  Remember that the Bible is not put together in such a way that you have to read it from start to finish, beginning to end, to understand it.  It was never meant to be read that way, so if you miss a few chapters in the middle, you're probably still fine in terms of getting the big picture.  Hope that helps.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #362 on: January 25, 2011, 07:52:27 AM »
The laws are no trouble--I just use an audio Bible as I'm falling asleep.  That counts, right?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #363 on: January 25, 2011, 09:43:34 AM »
The laws are no trouble--I just use an audio Bible as I'm falling asleep.  That counts, right?
No.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: January 25, 2011, 06:49:46 PM »
Eh, I find reading these kinds of early laws to be fun in its own way.

Now, I can't really say the same about lineages....
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 08:44:31 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #365 on: January 25, 2011, 08:47:37 PM »
...And today we finally see the covenant outlined in physical form. It makes for dry reading, but it's a special moment.

I guess I'm listening to Neal Morse's "?" today  :biggrin:

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #366 on: January 25, 2011, 09:22:23 PM »
Just finished up the Ten Commandments
I give you these 15

*drop*

*crash*

These 10 Commandments.

:rollin

I haven't been posting much because I've been trying to stay outta P/R. Some days I get behind on reading, but I catch up. I'll try to post more.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #367 on: January 25, 2011, 09:27:08 PM »
Yeah, it'd be cool if you did. And Brother. And everyone else who was posting originally.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #368 on: January 25, 2011, 09:44:29 PM »
lol I need to catch up.  Probably be back up in about a week.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #369 on: January 26, 2011, 12:54:46 PM »
I'm actually a little ahead because I know I'll be out of commission on drugs with my surgery later this week.  Anyhow, interesting readings now.  If anything, what I take from these detailed descriptions about how to make the priestly garb and the tabernacle is that God notices and cares about the details and thinks we should as well (even though those specific details do not apply to me in this day and age).

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #370 on: January 26, 2011, 01:13:16 PM »
yeah, I am ahead too because I will be out of town next week.  reading through the deutero-laws.  the way my daily bible is formatted, I haven't got to Leviticus yet - phew!

I love the section in Deut 8 about how God blesses a nation and then they begin to think they got there by their own strength and forget God.  Sure sounds familiar.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: January 26, 2011, 07:31:16 PM »
I suppose not much by way of discussion for today's reading. I do find Aaron's role interesting, as I didn't remember him particularly well and it does seem that God has called him and his family to do much more than I initially remembered.

If anything, what I take from these detailed descriptions about how to make the priestly garb and the tabernacle is that God notices and cares about the details and thinks we should as well (even though those specific details do not apply to me in this day and age).

:tup :tup :tup

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #372 on: January 27, 2011, 06:09:40 PM »
So, I'd remembered the incident with the calf but I'd forgotten about the massacre which takes place after it. Geez. I have no words, no explanation, for why Moses commands the sons of Levi to kill their brothers and their companions.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #373 on: January 27, 2011, 06:24:11 PM »
Because he is a complete badass, that's why.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #374 on: January 27, 2011, 06:29:56 PM »
I haven't caught up yet...is this where it says that they were all dancing?  If so, I think this is one of the reasons some churches do hymns because there is little to no rythym (and therefore no dancing) associated with them.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #375 on: January 27, 2011, 06:31:47 PM »
I haven't caught up yet...is this where it says that they were all dancing?  If so, I think this is one of the reasons some churches do hymns because there is little to no rythym (and therefore no dancing) associated with them.

???  What?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: January 27, 2011, 06:32:29 PM »
I don't know about the hymns thing, but yes it's the part where they're dancing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #377 on: January 27, 2011, 06:34:41 PM »
Because he is a complete badass, that's why.

You don' by any chance have glowing skin onna your face, do you?  I haf spen' alla' my life looking for the glow face-d man.  An' when I fin' him, I will say, "Hello.  My name is Inigo Montoya.  You killed my father.  Prepare to die."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #378 on: January 27, 2011, 06:39:12 PM »

???  What?

Er...well, one of the reasons.  I don't wanna get into an argument over "proper worship songs," and I'm not too sure myself but...melody is stressed a lot more than rythym because it focuses on the words said (Spirit-driven) over feeling (flesh-driven).  This is just one of the verses that equates rythmic dancing with being bad.  But I'm not too sure, that's just what I've heard.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #379 on: January 27, 2011, 06:41:19 PM »

???  What?

Er...well, one of the reasons.  I don't wanna get into an argument over "proper worship songs," and I'm not too sure myself but...melody is stressed a lot more than rythym because it focuses on the words said (Spirit-driven) over feeling (flesh-driven).  This is just one of the verses that equates rythmic dancing with being bad.  But I'm not too sure, that's just what I've heard.
What?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #380 on: January 27, 2011, 06:42:26 PM »
I don't wanna get into an argument over "proper worship songs,"

I don't either.  But I've never heard that as a reason for why we have hymns.  I think we have hymns because there is NT authority for having hymns.  And while rythm is not the focus, all (or at least most) of the hymns I have heard definitely have rythm.  Hence my confusion.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #381 on: January 27, 2011, 06:44:15 PM »
I been working so hard
Keep punching my card
Eight hours, for what?
Oh, tell me what I got
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #382 on: January 27, 2011, 06:51:33 PM »
I don't wanna get into an argument over "proper worship songs,"

I don't either.  But I've never heard that as a reason for why we have hymns.  I think we have hymns because there is NT authority for having hymns.  And while rythm is not the focus, all (or at least most) of the hymns I have heard definitely have rythm.  Hence my confusion.
My confusion comes from the fact that story isn't about melody or rhythm, or dancing.  It's about worshiping a golden calf instead of the Living God.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #383 on: January 27, 2011, 06:52:38 PM »
I think the exact same verse in the NT that you (bosk1) are referring to emphasizes melody in music (I can't recall the verse).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #384 on: January 27, 2011, 07:12:44 PM »
I think the exact same verse in the NT that you (bosk1) are referring to emphasizes melody in music (I can't recall the verse).
Even if it does...this doesn't.