Author Topic: Bible in a Year! v. February  (Read 46163 times)

Offline Ħ

Bible in a Year! v. February
« on: November 03, 2010, 04:13:16 AM »
BrotherH
bösk1
El JoNNo
gmillerdrake
GuineaPig
hefdaddy
Jamesman
juice
Perpetual Change
Philawallafox
ReaperKK
Rina93
sneakyblueberry
yeshua4
02T

The reading plan we'll be following can be found here: https://www.ewordtoday.com/year/  There are multiple programs they have--just scroll down to your version and click "Beginning" in that row.  We might do one of the other plans in years to come, but the plan from Genesis to Revelation is what we'll be sticking to this time.  
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 09:00:57 AM by BrotherH »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Bible in a Year!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 04:19:10 AM »
I'm in dude!  Would love to do this, I'm pretty much in the same boat as you.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 04:20:42 AM »
 :tup :tup :tup

I'm adding a sign-up sheet so we can see who's participating!
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 04:29:45 AM »
Are you talking the entire Bible, or just the New Testament?

I did the entire Bible in a year a few years ago.  I'm down.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 04:31:49 AM »
Are you talking the entire Bible, or just the New Testament?

I did the entire Bible in a year a few years ago.  I'm down.

All right, now we've got hefdaddy in this thing!  ;D  :hefdaddy

The whole thing, by the way.  :D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 04:38:32 AM »
Cool.  Even though I'm a Christian, the Hebrew Scriptures are more interesting reading, IMO (except for Leviticus, lol).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 04:56:53 AM »
Yeah, the last time I "read" Leviticus was when I uploaded an audio version to my iPod and listened to it as I fell asleep.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 05:51:40 AM »
The OT is fun reading.  I'd tentatively be down.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Vivace

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 05:57:55 AM »
I wish you all the luck

Albiet most people who do this stop after Exodus for obvious reasons.  ;)
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 08:17:34 AM »
I'm down. I'm gonna try and read a Chinese translation, too, if that's okay with everyone. That way I kill two birds with one stone... hehe.

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 08:30:27 AM »
I read the bible for the second time last year, so I'm not entering. This is pretty cool idea though.  :tup

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 09:54:13 AM »
I am down...

I highly recommend the Chronological Bible, by F Lagard Smith.  It puts the Bible in chronological order (as much as humanly possible).  For example, the psalms are placed in the middle of the historical sections as they were written, the NT letters are placed in the middle of Acts based on their timing, etc.  Samuel/Kings/Chronicles and the gospels are harmonized into one chronological writing.  It is also divided into daily reading sections. 
It makes a year long reading much more enjoyable.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 10:15:52 AM »
I am down...

I highly recommend the Chronological Bible, by F Lagard Smith.  It puts the Bible in chronological order (as much as humanly possible).  For example, the psalms are placed in the middle of the historical sections as they were written, the NT letters are placed in the middle of Acts based on their timing, etc.  Samuel/Kings/Chronicles and the gospels are harmonized into one chronological writing.  It is also divided into daily reading sections. 
I just got an email about that translation the other day, and I've been meaning to check it out in more detail.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 02:33:38 PM »
I am down...

That does sound like a great way to read through the Bible.  However, since most people don't own that, and since I don't know if it's the best idea for a first time through, I think we'll be sticking with the canonical order.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 02:36:18 PM »
I wish you all the luck

Oh yeah.  Any chance we could skip Numbers?  :lol

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 02:40:51 PM »
The OT is fun reading.  I'd tentatively be down.

Yea, reading Deuteronomy makes me laugh, cry and pee at the same time. It's like a michael bay movie in book form.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ħ

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 02:49:06 PM »
I wish you all the luck

Of all the ones you want to skip, you want it to be Numbers?   :lol  There are way more brutal books in there.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 02:52:32 PM »
I wish you all the luck

Of all the ones you want to skip, you want it to be Numbers?   :lol  There are way more brutal books in there.

Well I always thought it was just like 'Gimli was son of Gloin who in turn was son of Groin who fathered three blah blah blah.'  You have to go through the huge lists to get to the good parts.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 03:06:18 PM »
I double-checked that lineage because I totally thought you made Groin up...Well done. :clap:

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 03:13:17 PM »
I double-checked that lineage because I totally thought you made Groin up...Well done. :clap:

I'm 2 legit

2 quit

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 11:41:19 PM »
Definitely. I've been needing some accountability with my bible reading.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2010, 07:23:40 AM »
This is a great idea and a great thread. I kind of have certain planned things I read and study at different times so I wouldn't be able to stick to a planned schedule, but I applaud you all! :tup
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2010, 10:01:26 PM »
I did this back in...2007, I think. I read it pretty much every night and got through it in about six months. It really answered a lot of my questions about Christianity and was partially responsible for moving me to a Christian mindset, albeit not permanently. Over the summer I tried to make it through the Quran but I only made it about a quarter of the way. I do intend to finish it one day though.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2010, 06:43:51 PM »
I've done this before and I'm up for it again.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2010, 08:21:15 AM »
I am down...

I just got an email about that translation the other day, and I've been meaning to check it out in more detail.

I think you probably knew this, but it's not a different "translation."  It's standard NIV.  He just edits it together in such a way that it ends up being chronological (and it's been over a decade since I used it, so I can't remember for certain, but I believe where there appears to be duplication in parallel passages, he only uses one of the two instead of both). 

Anyway...

1.  I'm up for it. 
2.  I think we need a parallel thread for taking bets on who drops out when.  I'm guessing we lose half our numbers before cracking Deuteronomy.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2010, 08:38:44 AM »
I've been meaning to read a lot more of the Bible, but the whole thing is too much for me to commit, especially when it comes to sections that do lineage etc. I already spaced out on the NT lineage of Jesus :lol

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2010, 08:46:01 AM »
2.  I think we need a parallel thread for taking bets on who drops out when.  I'm guessing we lose half our numbers before cracking Deuteronomy.
I'm betting people are gonna drop out way before Deuteronomy. :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2010, 09:21:06 AM »
I am down...

I think you probably knew this, but it's not a different "translation."  It's standard NIV.  He just edits it together in such a way that it ends up being chronological (and it's been over a decade since I used it, so I can't remember for certain, but I believe where there appears to be duplication in parallel passages, he only uses one of the two instead of both).
Oh, I didn't know that.  Haven't had time to check on it.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2010, 09:30:48 AM »
Eh, I dunno about a chronological Bible.  I feel like God superintended the canonization process, and that the order of the books is the order they are meant to be in (and meant to be read).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2010, 09:45:27 AM »
Why?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2010, 10:05:40 AM »
I'm not saying that they have to be read in that order every time, but probably it's best for the first time.  Not that you won't profit if you read it any other way.  I just think God makes his word as simple to understand as possible, so that the truth can be communicated in the most effective way possible.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2010, 10:09:46 AM »
I think would be even worse doing it that way for a first-time reader.  Someone without much Bible knowledge is not going to have any context for why some things in the OT seem esoteric, outdated, or just flat-out outlandish (which they do if you don't know why they are there).  Much easier for a first-time reader to just start with the NT. 

Offline Ħ

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2010, 10:14:17 AM »
Well, yes, I agree that the New Testament is the place to start.  I didn't mean the first time you ever read the Bible in your life, you should work your way through the OT.  I meant the first time you decide to tackle the whole thing.

But of all the yearlong Bible programs I've seen, where they have you jumping between the OT, the NT, Psalms, and Proverbs, while some of them might definitely be interesting and worth a shot....from what I've heard and from what my instinct tells me, the Genesis-Revelation method is the most enlightening.  But that's just based on my experience.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2010, 10:45:15 AM »
I don't know if anyone in this thread is a first-time reader, though.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Vivace

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2010, 10:56:07 AM »
I think would be even worse doing it that way for a first-time reader.  Someone without much Bible knowledge is not going to have any context for why some things in the OT seem esoteric, outdated, or just flat-out outlandish (which they do if you don't know why they are there).  Much easier for a first-time reader to just start with the NT. 

Actually it's much better for a first time reader to start out with the "story" of the Bible skipping over the parts that do not deal with it, for example Leviticus, numbers, Chronicles, Psalms, Proverbs, etc. The NT is rather easy for any first-time reader since the whole of the NT doesn't digress like the OT does quite a bit.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"