Author Topic: DT collection  (Read 89627 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: DT collection
« Reply #140 on: February 07, 2015, 12:26:07 PM »
I picked up this Illumination Theory picture disc off Amazon a couple of months ago. 

https://www.amazon.com/RSD-Dream-Theater-Illumination-Picture-indie-exclusive/dp/B00J3D38KY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422596742&sr=8-2&keywords=dream+theater+illumination+theory

That was the Independent Record Store Day release from a year or so ago. If you paid more than $13 for that, you paid too much. You can still find them in stores for that price.

Offline Omadus

« Reply #141 on: February 07, 2015, 12:58:04 PM »
I picked up this Illumination Theory picture disc off Amazon a couple of months ago. 

https://www.amazon.com/RSD-Dream-Theater-Illumination-Picture-indie-exclusive/dp/B00J3D38KY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422596742&sr=8-2&keywords=dream+theater+illumination+theory

That was the Independent Record Store Day release from a year or so ago. If you paid more than $13 for that, you paid too much. You can still find them in stores for that price.

........for now.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #142 on: February 07, 2015, 05:30:37 PM »

*snip*

I paid $16 for it and since I've never seen them anywhere in a store, being that I generally don't go to stores to buy music, I'm not going to whine about a few dollars. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #143 on: February 09, 2015, 04:02:41 PM »

*snip*

I paid $16 for it and since I've never seen them anywhere in a store, being that I generally don't go to stores to buy music, I'm not going to whine about a few dollars.

That's not bad.  Most I've seen online seem to go for double or triple that if not more.

Never understood the idea that people would want to pay more for something they could get for less, but there are quite a few things I don't understand lately.

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #144 on: February 09, 2015, 04:05:49 PM »

*snip*

That's not bad.  Most I've seen online seem to go for double or triple that if not more.

Never understood the idea that people would want to pay more for something they could get for less, but there are quite a few things I don't understand lately.

To be fair, if you have to spend a few dollars on gas to get to the store, the cost basically offsets.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #145 on: February 09, 2015, 04:20:37 PM »

*snip*

To be fair, if you have to spend a few dollars on gas to get to the store, the cost basically offsets.

Well, sure. A few dollars more is fine. What I don't get is the quite a bit more than that. And the shipping offsets the gas unless you're getting it shipped free.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #146 on: February 09, 2015, 06:11:42 PM »

*snip*

Well, sure. A few dollars more is fine. What I don't get is the quite a bit more than that. And the shipping offsets the gas unless you're getting it shipped free.

How much have you seen it go for?  I'm surprised I never came across it on ebay.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #147 on: February 10, 2015, 12:54:23 AM »
I picked it up on record release day too for about $13 or so.  Luckily, Dream Theater was there to sign it as well!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #148 on: February 10, 2015, 06:56:00 AM »
I picked it up on record release day too for about $13 or so.  Luckily, Dream Theater was there to sign it as well!

Well who is better than you.   ;) ;D

Offline idlewoodarian

« Reply #149 on: February 10, 2015, 08:12:36 AM »

Just took a pic of my modest collection.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: February 10, 2015, 10:32:13 AM »
Well... I'll have to take a pic of this I'm sure, here goes:
CD's & DVDs

WDADU
WDADRU
I&M
Awake
ACoS
FII
SFAM
SDOIT
ToT
Octavarium
SC
BC&SL
ADToE
DT12
Dark Side of the Moon/Saucer full of Floyd
5YiaLT (VHS)
LSFNY (DVD)
LaB (DVD
Score (DVD)
SC documentary (DVD)
CiM (DVD)
LaLP (Bray)
BtFW (BRay)

MP's In Constant Motion (DVD & shirt)
JP's Rock Discipline (DVD)
JP's Suspended Animation

LTE 1 & 2
LTE Live Box-set (love it; worth every penny)

Stuff:

Lifting Shadows (original hardbacks; signed by DT); it is an original purchase, name is in the back of the book.
Awake-era cloth flag; signed this tour cycle by the band
SC Tour Book signed
3- Meet & Greet photos + VIP passes (SC, ADToE, DT12)
Tickets from all the shows my wife and I have seen (2004 to present at least once each cycle)
One of JP's picks from the Columbus OH show in 2010 (awesome small club show; one of MP's last shows)

Shirts:
Vintage I&W (wear it to every show I attend)
Long Sleeve ToT from overseas
Vintage 20th anniversary Score @ Radio City (bought it at the show)
NYC crest (military green from the SC era) signed by the band

Many, many memories and photos that cannot be cataloged...

I really didn't set out to collect anything... this is all just stuff that I've amassed being a fan for 23-years.

"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: February 10, 2015, 10:36:41 AM »
Since I never did post my collection in the earlier thread, I'll take this opportunity to post it here.  I think this represents all the stuff I have (minus the VIP tote bags, glassware, ticket stubs, Guitar Magazines, various t-shirts and Rock Discipline VHS tape).  Several of the CD's and programs are autographed inside the booklets.   My Majesty demo is signed by Derek.

Actually, after seeing this post, maybe I shouldn't have posted at all.  :lol

Awesome collection  :metal
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #152 on: February 10, 2015, 10:37:54 AM »
I don't have anything really weird or unusual.  I have the signed promo lithograph for Systematic Chaos that available as a gift for preorders (500 or so), and I have I&W Live in Tokyo on VHS.  And the cassette of Awake.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #153 on: February 10, 2015, 10:41:29 AM »
I don't have the patience to lay out everything and take photos of it all, besides most of it is packed away for the move.  Maybe when I move into the apartment and have to unpack everything I'll do it. 

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: February 10, 2015, 12:23:36 PM »
I don't have anything really weird or unusual.  I have the signed promo lithograph for Systematic Chaos that available as a gift for preorders (500 or so), and I have I&W Live in Tokyo on VHS.  And the cassette of Awake.

The only thing unusual I might have is the Awake-era flag... got comments from all of the guys on that one.  Even their tour manager (or the guy I assumed was their tour manager) made a comment about it... asked me if I made it!  I honestly have no idea where my wife found it.

The Awake cassette is VERY cool to me... the only cassette I have of DT is I&W.  I remember that day in 7th grade... man I was so excited to get that thing home and blast it!  I even remember the smell of the tape when I opened it; it had an industrial smell that was quite "pleasing to the nose."  Still has the smell...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #155 on: February 10, 2015, 02:28:03 PM »
The Awake cassette is VERY cool to me... the only cassette I have of DT is I&W.  I remember that day in 7th grade... man I was so excited to get that thing home and blast it!  I even remember the smell of the tape when I opened it; it had an industrial smell that was quite "pleasing to the nose."  Still has the smell...
Yeah, I remember the cassette smell. 

Interesting thing about the Awake cassette: it lacks Scarred.  Running time limitations.  For some time after release, I didn't know anything about Scarred.  Imagine my surprise when I finally upgraded to CD and discovered an unbelievably awesome new song!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #156 on: February 11, 2015, 02:20:13 PM »

Interesting thing about the Awake cassette: it lacks Scarred.  Running time limitations.  For some time after release, I didn't know anything about Scarred.  Imagine my surprise when I finally upgraded to CD and discovered an unbelievably awesome new song!
I didn't know about the cassette not having scarred. I was also quite surprised that up to Octavarium, DT still released on cassette.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #157 on: February 11, 2015, 10:22:06 PM »

I didn't know about the cassette not having scarred. I was also quite surprised that up to Octavarium, DT still released on cassette.

I purposely bought the Awake cassette off eBay a while back just for that reason.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #158 on: February 12, 2015, 06:45:11 AM »
 :metal

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #159 on: February 12, 2015, 03:17:49 PM »
Awesome collection  :metal

Thanks!  The LTE Box set is worth every penny.

Oh, and II always expect Innocence Faded's last few notes before Space Dye Vest.  Conditioned by the cassette order.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #160 on: February 14, 2015, 11:11:06 AM »

*snip*

How much have you seen it go for?  I'm surprised I never came across it on ebay.

I don't really check that often, but I checked a few weeks back and there were a bunch of them in the $20 to $30 plus range and a few for a little less than that.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #161 on: February 14, 2015, 11:28:47 AM »
Oh...for those that don't go on the general music side much I'm parting with these items:

(pics on request of course)

When Dream And Day Unite press kit  $60

Press kit includes When Dream And Day Unite advanced cassette

One page (two-sided) biography with first album logo on top

Photo ( Black and White 8X10) horizontal.

The color photo can be seen at the top of page 163 of the most recent Lifting Shadows book or on page 34 of the Images Book in the first Lifting Shadows edition.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dream-Theater-ULTRA-RARE-When-Dream-And-Day-Unite-Cassette-1988-PROMO-MINT-LOOK-/280839604728?pt=Music_Cassettes&hash=item41635849f8

I decided I'm breaking up my Dream Theater Black Clouds and Silver Linings Box Set.

Black Clouds and Silver Linings 2LP set (with inner sleeves only there was no proper cover) $10

Explorers Club -- Age of Impact (Promo only  in card sleeve with art ,project featuring LaBrie, Petrucci, Shernian, Bozzio, Steve Howe, Billy Sheehan, Trent Gardner, Matt Guillory and others) $6

Dominici (ex-Dream Theater) - O3 A Trilogy Part 2 (promo in card sleeve with art)  $8

Dominici (ex-Dream Theater) - O3 A Trilogy Part 3 (promo in card sleeve with art)  $8
(both for $15)

OSI (Kevin Moore, Jim Matheos) -- Blood (promo in card sleeve also says promo on disc) $7

Dream Theater -- The Metal Sampler (3 track promo) $30

Dream Theater -- Hollow Years (1 track promo) $30

Dream Theater -Awake promo collectors package:

Awake (Very rare ADVANCE US promo with black and white cover and try art (not the Gold Stamped Promo that was issued later)  I think there were only 300 of these pressed: https://www.thefunkygibbons.net/D003.html )

Lie digipak promotional CD single (still sealed)

Awake 18" by 24" promo poster. (Studio shot of band that appears in the Awake CD booklet

Awake promo album flat (12" by 12")

Awake Cassette

Awake promo postcard announcing Oct. 4 release.

Copy of record company release announcing Kevin Moore's departure from the band.

Free mystery Awake related item.

$125

Dream Theater -- Once In A Livetime Advance  2CD promo (no art, back insert, short bio) $25

Dream Theater -- Train Of Thought (Sealed Gold Stamped Promo) $30

Dream Theater -- Greatest Hit and 21 Other Petty Cool Songs (Advance 2CD U.S. promo with the 2007 Images and Words remixes and unique back tray art) $25

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #162 on: February 14, 2015, 10:18:30 PM »

*snip*

I don't really check that often, but I checked a few weeks back and there were a bunch of them in the $20 to $30 plus range and a few for a little less than that.

I see what you mean about it being double the price.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #164 on: February 23, 2015, 04:46:50 PM »

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #165 on: February 23, 2015, 04:57:17 PM »
Scenes From A Memory curtain.

I'M INSIDE YOUR HEAD NICHOLAS!
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #166 on: February 23, 2015, 05:50:39 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dream-Theater-Band-Custom-Shower-Curtain-60-x-72-/171616494199?pt=Shower_Curtains&hash=item27f523e277

Pass.

Although if it were legit I might consider it if it was a different design.
Looks kinda like one of Steve Theater's artworks, or perhaps that of another forum member, though I don't think Blob would've done that.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #167 on: February 28, 2015, 07:49:13 AM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dream-Theater-Band-Custom-Shower-Curtain-60-x-72-/171616494199?pt=Shower_Curtains&hash=item27f523e277

Pass.

Looks kinda like one of Steve Theater's artworks, or perhaps that of another forum member, though I don't think Blob would've done that.

It's very well done. Just not my thing. 
I'm kind of guessing that there's no compensation to the artist involved based on where it's coming from.

Offline lhfu

« Reply #168 on: March 10, 2015, 08:11:05 PM »
Someone has the "Majesty - Gates of Babylon '86" to sel ???

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #169 on: March 10, 2015, 08:13:33 PM »

Pass.

It's very well done. Just not my thing. 
I'm kind of guessing that there's no compensation to the artist involved based on where it's coming from.

I would get it just because it's DT on it though I'm not sure if I would put it up instead of my Kate Upton shower curtain.   ;)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #170 on: March 10, 2015, 08:23:42 PM »
Dream Theater just linked to this thread on Facebook. Pretty cool.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: March 10, 2015, 08:42:23 PM »
DT Collection

:angry: Where's the poll for YES or NO ?

Offline Grizz

« Reply #172 on: March 10, 2015, 09:15:25 PM »
DT Collection

kevin moore
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #173 on: March 11, 2015, 07:42:43 AM »
DT Collection

kevin moore

Two Far