Author Topic: DT collection  (Read 89981 times)

Offline RaiseTheKnife

Re: DT collection
« Reply #210 on: March 23, 2015, 06:02:32 PM »
Look between the SFAM and the I&W Ytse Jam CDs.

Duh....

I was looking for the Caught In a Web promo CD single with the spider on the cover. That explains why I missed it.

Thanks.
Ummm...hate to break it to you RtK, but that ain't the CiaW single. Perhaps it's a DT bootleg entitled CiaW, but it ain't the single. Tell-tale sign is the fact that the DT logo isn't on the cover. And there were two versions of the single, both of which were promo only - one with a cover, and one without, as can be seen here:
https://ymfr.free.fr/index.php?title=Caught_In_A_Web_%28Promo_CD_2%29
https://ymfr.free.fr/index.php?title=Caught_In_A_Web_%28Promo_CD_1%29

Ah, I wasn't looking close enough.  Never seen that cover before.  I have the "kick into a dream" version, which the double CD full show for that night.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #211 on: March 28, 2015, 02:47:17 PM »
Look between the SFAM and the I&W Ytse Jam CDs.

Duh....

I was looking for the Caught In a Web promo CD single with the spider on the cover. That explains why I missed it.

Thanks.
Ummm...hate to break it to you RtK, but that ain't the CiaW single. Perhaps it's a DT bootleg entitled CiaW, but it ain't the single. Tell-tale sign is the fact that the DT logo isn't on the cover. And there were two versions of the single, both of which were promo only - one with a cover, and one without, as can be seen here:
https://ymfr.free.fr/index.php?title=Caught_In_A_Web_%28Promo_CD_2%29
https://ymfr.free.fr/index.php?title=Caught_In_A_Web_%28Promo_CD_1%29

Ah, I wasn't looking close enough.  Never seen that cover before.  I have the "kick into a dream" version, which the double CD full show for that night.
I have "Kick Into A Dream" too. (was at that show.)

That explains why I never saw the promos. I guess those are getting more difficult to find these days.

Offline TRS

« Reply #212 on: March 29, 2015, 05:15:31 AM »
Prelim collection here: https://www.discogs.com/user/TRS_/collection

Some old stuff:

Im trying to organize my DT collection... in the meantime have a look at this, all bought from CharlieD

« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 06:36:28 AM by TRS »

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #213 on: April 03, 2015, 08:41:24 PM »
Prelim collection here: https://www.discogs.com/user/TRS_/collection

Some old stuff:

Im trying to organize my DT collection... in the meantime have a look at this, all bought from CharlieD

Awesome!

Where did you get that limited edition Live At The Marquee/Another Day from?  Either I've forgotten about it or I didn't know about it in the first place. Don't know which.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #214 on: April 03, 2015, 08:51:45 PM »
Where did you get that limited edition Live At The Marquee/Another Day from?  Either I've forgotten about it or I didn't know about it in the first place. Don't know which.

I think it's Dutch?  When I was still actively collecting that was at the very top of my want list for the longest time.  Never did manage to get my hands on a copy.  Saw it up for sale on eBay once or twice, but it always went for crazy money.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: April 04, 2015, 03:17:09 PM »
I have that Korean version which includes Another Day but it doesn't say it in the front cover.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline thyer

« Reply #216 on: April 06, 2015, 09:31:33 AM »
Someone want to sell the the rare edition?

- live at the marquee + another day dutch edition
- live scenes from new york + bandana koreab edition
- SFAM + trought her eyes card box korean edition

send me a private mess

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #217 on: April 07, 2015, 08:10:42 AM »
I have that Korean version which includes Another Day but it doesn't say it in the front cover.

That's something different... the Dutch box is two discs... it has Live at the Marquee plus a copy of the Another Day single.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #218 on: April 12, 2015, 12:37:16 PM »

I think it's Dutch?  When I was still actively collecting that was at the very top of my want list for the longest time.  Never did manage to get my hands on a copy.  Saw it up for sale on eBay once or twice, but it always went for crazy money.

Looks like it's pretty rare then. Interesting that's it might be Dutch and/or Korean.

Offline TRS

« Reply #219 on: April 12, 2015, 12:42:37 PM »

Looks like it's pretty rare then. Interesting that's it might be Dutch and/or Korean.

The one I have is indeed Dutch. I'm not aware of any similar Korean pressing...

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #220 on: April 13, 2015, 09:20:44 PM »
There's no Korean version - Only the Dutch one.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #221 on: April 14, 2015, 03:57:40 PM »
Sounds like it will be nearly impossible to find....Thanks.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #222 on: April 15, 2015, 01:57:36 PM »
Yup.  I spent many years looking for it.  I actually ALMOST had it once.  I got outbid but the person who outbid me turned out to be a fake bidder,, but it created a huge jump in the price.  I don't remember the exact numbers but it was something like Fake winning bid = $300, my bid = $299, next highest bid after me = $100.  The seller gave me a second chance offer, but offered it only at my top bid price.  That seemed ridiculous since the amount was artificially inflated by something like $200 through a fake bid, so I offered a compromise, but the seller wouldn't go for it, and I refused to pay the artificially inflated price.  Never saw it again after that...

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #223 on: April 15, 2015, 05:44:36 PM »
Since we're in the collection thread and we were just talking about a rare DT collectible, what would everyone say are some of the most sought after pieces, hardest to find, and most expensive to purchase? 

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #224 on: April 15, 2015, 06:58:25 PM »
Since we're in the collection thread and we were just talking about a rare DT collectible, what would everyone say are some of the most sought after pieces, hardest to find, and most expensive to purchase?

For me personally, I really like the Japanese tab/songbook for "When Dream and Day Unite."  I picked one up for about $50, and it doesn't come up for purchase that often.  I do not collect the foreign variations of the CD's, unless they have additional content not otherwise available on the U.S releases (e.g., the Japanese "Hollow Years" single).
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 09:48:41 PM by RaiseTheKnife »

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #225 on: April 15, 2015, 08:15:25 PM »

In addition to the Dutch Box set already covered, a few that come to mind are...

Original 1996 Fan Club CD
Take the Time Single (with Purple Ribbon)
Ytse Jam / Status Seeker Cassette single (Majesty)
LSFNY Korean Box Set (the one with the bandana seems to be super duper rare)
Original German Awake Vinyl (although less so now that it's been re-released)
"Tears" promo single mini CD

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #226 on: April 15, 2015, 09:20:12 PM »
Falling into Infinity Hourglass sand clock  :biggrin:

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #227 on: April 15, 2015, 10:32:52 PM »

In addition to the Dutch Box set already covered, a few that come to mind are...

I've seen the Tears single quite a few times on eBay. It never goes for less than $100.

I've always wanted that LSFNY box set, though. 

Falling into Infinity Hourglass sand clock  :biggrin:

That's a rare item!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #228 on: April 16, 2015, 12:06:24 AM »
I just came across this on eBay.  I actually just bought the Through Her Eyes single.  I had it at one point but had to sell it a while ago when I needed some extra money and I always wanted it back. Now I have it again.    :biggrin:

But like I was saying, I came across this on eBay. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dream-Theater-Excellent-Live-93-ORG-L-/121466450533?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c47f6f265

I am familiar with the Of Dreams No Moore bootleg for this date but never heard this one.  It's not the complete show but still pretty cool.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #229 on: April 16, 2015, 12:21:33 AM »
^^  Kevin Moore's last US show ^^.  good Cd, listening to it now.  I think there is a video on YouTube of James knocking Another Day out of the park, which was taken from this show (and discussed some time ago on DTF).  Also, this disc includes Status Seeker "hidden" in track 4 following To Live Forever and an MP drum solo.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 12:42:09 AM by RaiseTheKnife »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #230 on: April 16, 2015, 12:25:40 AM »
^^  Kevin Moore's last US show ^^.  good Cd, listening to it now.  I think there is a video on YouTube of James knocking Another Day out of the park, which was taken from this show (and discussed some time ago on DTF).

Yes, hence the title.  Very good show though.  I'd put it on myself now but I'm at work and don't have my laptop here. Besides, I'm listening to Marillion.   :smiley:  I'll check for the AD video on YouTube after this. 

Offline thyer

« Reply #231 on: April 16, 2015, 06:36:00 AM »
other rare:

LSFNY + Simpson T-shirt
Another Day single wrote in white on the cd
ADTOE transparent vinyl

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #232 on: April 16, 2015, 08:44:42 AM »
I got off ebay the Status Seeker and Afterlife Radio Remix singles, along with an Mechanic Records CD version of WDaDU for about $20 if I recall correctly. Freakin' steal, as the post was for "When Dream and Day Unite" and only briefly mentioned the singles in the description. Probably the best part of my collection.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #233 on: April 16, 2015, 06:23:09 PM »
^^  Kevin Moore's last US show ^^.  good Cd, listening to it now.  I think there is a video on YouTube of James knocking Another Day out of the park, which was taken from this show (and discussed some time ago on DTF).  Also, this disc includes Status Seeker "hidden" in track 4 following To Live Forever and an MP drum solo.

I was at this show.  Don't have the CD, but I have the video.

I don't have the Tears single either. Wanted one for a while but there's no way I'm paying more than $100 for it.

Dutch Live at the Marquee box.

Those are pretty rare. Don't have the Dutch box, the Korean box or the cassette single.

My favorite for a long time has been the Purple ribbon with gold wax seal Take The Time promo. I'd love to know the story behind that one.

I guess the original Majesty demo cassette is probably pretty rare by now too.

Didn't realize the original Mechanic CDs are pretty rare, but I guess they are.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #234 on: April 17, 2015, 11:06:47 AM »

What's REALLY rare is the longbox version.  Don't see too many of those anywhere at all.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #235 on: April 17, 2015, 12:55:05 PM »

What's REALLY rare is the longbox version.  Don't see too many of those anywhere at all.

I should have taken my friend's I & W longbox when he offered it. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #236 on: May 02, 2015, 02:25:31 PM »

I should have taken my friend's I & W longbox when he offered it.

I have the longbox, but I took the CD out of it to listen to it when I bought it so I guess it's an empty longbox. 

I kept my long boxes of Rush, Marillion, and Dream Theater when I got them, but they are all empty and flattened.

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #237 on: May 04, 2015, 02:36:08 AM »
I didn't even know that these exist. The Korean box set with the Simpsons T-shirt yes, but there's a version with a bandana??
Though, now that I think about it, I believe I saw the Take The Time once on eBay a few months ago. It went for around $200 if I remember correctly.

Not really rare, but expensive indeed. Hardly any copy goes for less than $100 on eBay.

Every few weeks, two copies show up within hours of each other on eBay for ridiculous prices ($300 or so).  Those two sellers really annoy me.
By the way, I still don't really understand why this is so rare. There are 1000 copies out there, yet I always saw this getting sold at much higher prices than the original demo. I'd have assumed that fewer copies of the demo exist nowadays since it's much older, and that the demo is therefore rarer and more expensive...

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #238 on: May 07, 2015, 03:26:29 PM »
I didn't even know that these exist. The Korean box set with the Simpsons T-shirt yes, but there's a version with a bandana??
Though, now that I think about it, I believe I saw the Take The Time once on eBay a few months ago. It went for around $200 if I remember correctly.

Not really rare, but expensive indeed. Hardly any copy goes for less than $100 on eBay.

Every few weeks, two copies show up within hours of each other on eBay for ridiculous prices ($300 or so).  Those two sellers really annoy me.
By the way, I still don't really understand why this is so rare. There are 1000 copies out there, yet I always saw this getting sold at much higher prices than the original demo. I'd have assumed that fewer copies of the demo exist nowadays since it's much older, and that the demo is therefore rarer and more expensive...

Japanese items as a rule are more expensive, but beyond that I have no idea. I've been waiting 20 years to get an affordable copy so I'll keep waiting.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #239 on: May 08, 2015, 12:37:05 PM »
Well, there were 1,000 made... that doesn't mean there are 1,000 out there.  Remember that this was initially just a give-away item, and that it was given away 20 years ago.  I would imagine that a lot of them went to more casual fans and may have gotten tossed out over the course of the last 20 years.  And a lot of the surviving ones are probably now in the hands of collectors.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #240 on: May 09, 2015, 04:15:01 AM »
Well, there were 1,000 made... that doesn't mean there are 1,000 out there.  Remember that this was initially just a give-away item, and that it was given away 20 years ago.  I would imagine that a lot of them went to more casual fans and may have gotten tossed out over the course of the last 20 years.  And a lot of the surviving ones are probably now in the hands of collectors.
Dammit, filthy casuals

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #242 on: May 09, 2015, 01:03:51 PM »
I would love to get one of those.

Offline Bootstrap

« Reply #244 on: May 15, 2015, 03:24:57 PM »
 These are some of the items I have in my collection and I believe that are hard to find  (some non-rare items also appear together) :

ADTOE transparent vinyl

test press of the Images and Words vinyl reissue

Tears

Octavarium (2 tracks sampler)

Octavarium 5 song-sampler

LSFNY + Simpson T-shirt

God of War ST

Lifting Shadows (1st and 2nd Limited Edition book)

Original German Awake Vinyl

Another Day single (wrote in white on the cd)

Take the Time Single (with Purple Ribbon) and Caught In a Web promo CD
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 03:51:42 PM by Bootstrap »