Author Topic: How did prog end up so heavily using flutes?  (Read 4286 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
How did prog end up so heavily using flutes?
« on: November 02, 2010, 12:46:55 PM »
I always wondered that. Early Genesis had Peter Gabriel playing it, Jethro Tull used it big time, and I believe a good number of other bands did too. I once talked to a prog band (who were looking for a guitarist) who said they couldn't get gigs because they didn't have a flute player and thus nobody took them seriously (totally bogus btw, they didn't get gigs because they sucked).

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: How did prog end up so heavily using flutes?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 12:49:53 PM »
Don't forget the Moody Blues, who were one of the first prog rock bands.

I wish more bands, not just prog bands, used a flute.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 12:54:45 PM »
I don't know, but hearing Theo Travis playing flute on "Don't Hate Me" is absolutely amazing. I also enjoy his flute work with The Tangent.

I think prog bands just enjoy using traditional orchestral instruments that are harder to recreate with a keyboard or synthesizer, and flute and sax are probably the two that are most used. I think strings have been pretty well replicated with mellotron and other type voices.

I enjoy real flute during prog music. I think there should be more of it. :tup

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 12:57:48 PM »
This might be off-topic, seeings as its about prog and all....

But Mael Mordha are a folk metal band that use flutes and its generally pretty awesome.

Edit: I'd love to post a link to a song of theirs, but I don't think they have a channel at all so I'm not sure if its okay to post a song.....
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 01:11:32 PM »
Strange phenomenon indeed.

And the Ozric Tentacles began to suck from the moment they ditched John Egan, their flute player. He totally made the vibe during live gigs. I saw them a week ago, and it just wasn't the same without him.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 01:14:53 PM »
I'm not even sure if I would call Ozric Tentacles prog, just really bat shit insane.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 01:19:25 PM »
The Marshall Tucker Band had a flutist, Jerry Eubanks.  Not exactly a Prog band, but certainly unusual for a Southern blues/rock band. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 01:40:11 PM »
Flute was pretty heavy in ItCotCK.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 01:50:49 PM »
I think prog bands just enjoy using traditional orchestral instruments that are harder to recreate with a keyboard or synthesizer, and flute and sax are probably the two that are most used. I think strings have been pretty well replicated with mellotron and other type voices.

Something like this.  Flutes are nice as a lead instrument and have a unique color to them.  Since one aspect of prog is incorporating nonstandard instrumentation, it just seems like something that would happen a bit.  Somebody in the band plays flute and the band says "Hey, you could take a solo here, it would be cool!"  So they do.  Saxophones show up in jazz and rock anyway, and clarinets are too weird, so flutes got the gig by default.

Offline jsem

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 05:26:56 PM »
There should be more clarinets in prog....

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 05:40:06 PM »
Nah, they're too weird.  Someone takes a flute solo in a song, people go "Hey, flute solo, cool!"  

Someone whips out a clarinet and people go "Wow, reminds me of that one nerdy dude in junior high who played clarinet."

Online The Letter M

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 05:42:31 PM »
Nah, they're too weird.  Someone takes a flute solo in a song, people go "Hey, flute solo, cool!"  

Someone whips out a clarinet and people go "Wow, reminds me of that one nerdy dude in junior high who played clarinet."

Unless you've heard Rewiring Genesis' Tribute to The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, which features some great solos from instruments like clarinet, accordion, and more!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 06:45:05 PM »
That actually sounds pretty cool.  I'll check out a Genesis tribute, especially one with a twist like that.

I was being facetious, mostly.  I play clarinet, and it's easily my least favorite woodwind.  Flute and sax are both so much cooler.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 07:21:22 PM »
That actually sounds pretty cool.  I'll check out a Genesis tribute, especially one with a twist like that.

I was being facetious, mostly.  I play clarinet, and it's easily my least favorite woodwind.  Flute and sax are both so much cooler.

That's funny because as a band-geek growing up (and still am, sort of), I've had more friends that were/are clarinetists and flutists or saxophonists.

As for Rewiring Genesis, they took all the keyboard parts and replaced them with real instruments, like strings and winds and brass, to create something fresh-sounding while still undeniably Genesis-sounding. Also, "The Grand Parade Of Lifeless Packaging" is done entirely by Nick's vocals and various percussion instruments...and nothing else. Definitely check out the whole album, especially if you love/enjoy the original, the twists and turns on the Rewired version breathe new life to an old classic.

-Marc.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 07:57:17 PM »
I always wondered that. Early Genesis had Peter Gabriel playing it, Jethro Tull used it big time, and I believe a good number of other bands did too. I once talked to a prog band (who were looking for a guitarist) who said they couldn't get gigs because they didn't have a flute player and thus nobody took them seriously (totally bogus btw, they didn't get gigs because they sucked).

rumborak

I think you've kind of identified it in the OP.

Loads of prog bands used different instruments. Progressive rock is not known for its bog standard use of instrumentation and arrangements.

Flutes are only particularly quintessential insomuch as there were a few bands using them at the sort of "beginning" of prog. Think it's more that they [read: flutes] happened to be the ones that were chosen more than once, and by influential bands. Prog bands emulate other prog bands. Jethro Tull, The Moody Blues and Genesis are - I'd argue - the cause, rather than the effect, of what you're observing.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 08:09:58 PM by robwebster »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 04:39:48 PM »
Nah, they're too weird.  Someone takes a flute solo in a song, people go "Hey, flute solo, cool!" 

'I Belong To You' by Muse has a bass clarinet solo, and it is awesome. Don't you diss the clarinet!

In response to the OP, I'd have thought it stems from the use of flute in jazz music, jazz being quite a big influence on the prog genre.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 04:48:52 PM »
Yeah, but saxophones are used a lot more in jazz, and they don't show up in prog as often as flutes.  So it's still kinda weird.

Bass clarinet is kinda cool, just because it's not a regular clarinet.  I've played flute since I was ten, picked up sax in junior high, but man, learning clarinet was nuts.  It's just a weirdass instrument.  I've even played oboe and English horn, though I don't own any.  So as someone who's played them all, I think I can safely diss the clarinet.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 05:31:21 PM »
Yeah, but saxophones are used a lot more in jazz, and they don't show up in prog as often as flutes.  So it's still kinda weird.
Hmm, not sure about that, saxophones are used quite a lot in prog. Alan Parsons and King Crimson are two that spring to mind off the top of my head.

EDIT: Oh yeah Pink Floyd used them a fair amount as well.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 05:59:27 PM »
Hmm, not sure about that, saxophones are used quite a lot in prog. Alan Parsons and King Crimson are two that spring to mind off the top of my head.

Proto-Kaw used/uses both sax and flute, and Van der Graaf Generator used sax all the time as well.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 06:49:22 PM »
I don't have much to add to this, except that I know Shadow Gallery has flute sections as well, and Carl (the bass player) played the flute at the SG concert.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 07:11:49 PM »
I'm guessing that it had something to do with the fact that it was just plain outside of the norm.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 07:21:18 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM4lL9uiVhU

I think it's a flute at 1:15?

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2010, 07:28:03 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM4lL9uiVhU

I think it's a flute at 1:15?

I don't think that's a flute.  I could be wrong though.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2010, 10:14:53 PM »
So I used to have this obscure version of Octavarium...

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 11:53:12 PM »
Emanuel & the Fear - "Guatemala" around 1:30-on especially
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV2It10Rqsk

Offline jsem

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2010, 03:31:26 AM »

Ummmm.. Jay Beckenstein... from Spyro Gyra right? Yeah...
Dream Theater - Another Day.. soprano sax  :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart

Offline kala1928

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2010, 03:50:32 AM »
Being a synth guy I really like a 'fat' flute sound (most real flutes are quite fat tbh compared to a lot of silly synth flutes). It fits really well into a lot of stuff that needs a break from the overused string or piano sections.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2010, 05:10:39 AM »
Prog and Flutes thread but no mention of Camel or Focus yet?

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2010, 05:18:37 AM »
I blame Jethro Tull.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2010, 11:27:18 PM »
To me, a flute is a gentle way of bringing dimension to the heaviness of a guitar/bass/drum collection. I like it, but what about a trumpet or trombone solo? Anyone done that yet?

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2010, 03:25:54 AM »
To me, a flute is a gentle way of bringing dimension to the heaviness of a guitar/bass/drum collection. I like it, but what about a trumpet or trombone solo? Anyone done that yet?

Chicago have a trumpet and trombonist and they did unison melodies and stuff like that.

Offline jsem

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2010, 04:16:50 AM »
Chicago isn't prog though. But I love their wind additions to the traditional band structure, I am biased in a way cuz I play sax but still. In terms of soloing it wasn't very frequent if at all.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2010, 05:14:26 AM »
Chicago isn't prog though. But I love their wind additions to the traditional band structure, I am biased in a way cuz I play sax but still. In terms of soloing it wasn't very frequent if at all.

Early Chicago would like to have a word with you.  BTW Walter Parazaider playes a mean flute.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2010, 07:00:39 PM »

Early Chicago would like to have a word with you.  BTW Walter Parazaider playes a mean flute.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2010, 08:15:22 PM »
I like Parazaider's flute playing more than his sax.  He's great with the horn section, but his sax solos tend to be a lot of repeated riffs and scales.  They sound cool, but get boring pretty quickly and aren't exactly challenging to play.  His flute work is much more interesting and creative.

"prog" has so many different definitions and meanings, but if "breaking norms with unusual song structures, nonstandard instrumentation, and extended instrumentals" counts then early Chicago definitely fits the bill.  The second and third albums especially, and the fifth somewhat.