Author Topic: Get Out And Vote!  (Read 47468 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Get Out And Vote!
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2010, 10:04:04 AM »
I voted this morning when the polls opened at 6:30 am.

I'm tired.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline j

« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2010, 10:04:54 AM »
Even if I didn't think this whole democracy thing was a sham, I still live in Texas, so there's not really any point.  There are a couple of people I'd certainly like to vote against, but they're landslide winners regardless.  

politics is a fucking circus

I never understood the whole 'you can't complain if you didn't vote' sentiment, or the 'it doesn't matter who, just vote!' message for that matter. All of the candidates are complete shit (and most are near-identical), but because you didn't vote for one of them you're no longer allowed to have an opinion in the matter? Why is it that you're required to vote for a candidate in order to hold a 'valid' opinion, even if you don't support any of the candidates ideologically?

All of these.  Hate to be this guy, but anybody who thinks they're making some kind of difference by voting in these hoaxes is deluding themselves.  I prefer not to participate in this laughable excuse for a working system of government.

By and large, politicians are stupid, lying sacks of shit.  Even if they weren't, and even if there was a candidate whose ideology I could get on board with, and even if he could somehow get elected, there are a million external and internal pressures that will absolutely ensure that everything remains completely stagnant.  It's all a big joke, and thus I have posted this cynical diatribe on DTF in the time it would have taken for me to vote, because I derive more value from the former.

Before somebody jumps on me, of course I'm thankful to be able to live, work, etc. here, but that doesn't mean I can't be dissatisfied with the state of things and the direction I see things going.

-J

Offline ehra

« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2010, 10:08:32 AM »
One is going to win regardless of how terrible both are. People can make comparisons to giant douches and turd sandwiches all they want, the point is you're going to have to eat one either way so you might as well try to decide which would be less bad.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2010, 10:09:11 AM »
I couldn't tell you 5 things combined that they all plan to do, but I could tell you about 50 reasons why I shouldn't vote for them... if that makes sense.

Makes perfect sense.  One of our candidates for governor ran an ad wherein the ENTIRE AD went on to say "guy B did this", "guy B is like the current gov", "guy B likes this idea", "guy B this and that", "So if you like our current crappy governor, guy B is your man - paid for by guy A."

Drives me nuts.  The ONLY thing I heard about the candidate who was running the ad was that he endorsed the ad in some manner.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2010, 10:10:56 AM »
turd sandwiches

"The review you had on ‘Shark Sandwich’...which was merely a two word review - just said 'shit sandwich.'"

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2010, 10:16:54 AM »
LOL..."nitpicking" LOL...great movie ^
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2010, 10:20:49 AM »
I find with these elections, people have no clue why they are voting for someone. If anything they have 2 pros for a candidate vs. 1 pro for the other. It's ridiculous. I feel like none of the candidates in CT ran what could have been called a good campaign. I couldn't tell you 5 things combined that they all plan to do, but I could tell you about 50 reasons why I shouldn't vote for them... if that makes sense.
Sometimes you have to look at someones makeup and the way they carry themselves. Like in the Governors debate. I determined that Dan Malloy is typical lying politician. I think the guy is a douche. I just get a much better feeling about Tom Foley. Could I be wrong? Sure, I' I'm going with what I heard and felt.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2010, 10:23:55 AM »
I couldn't tell you 5 things combined that they all plan to do, but I could tell you about 50 reasons why I shouldn't vote for them... if that makes sense.

Makes perfect sense.  One of our candidates for governor ran an ad wherein the ENTIRE AD went on to say "guy B did this", "guy B is like the current gov", "guy B likes this idea", "guy B this and that", "So if you like our current crappy governor, guy B is your man - paid for by guy A."

Drives me nuts.  The ONLY thing I heard about the candidate who was running the ad was that he endorsed the ad in some manner.

That's all every single candidate in CT did. It was actually sickening. I'm sorry, but I can't vote for someone who runs a campaign like that. Just low balling, saying what they have to in order to win. None of them really addressed the citizens problems, just their fears. Every person running said they'd create jobs, but I didn't hear a single explanation as to how. No one running explained how they would cut taxes, only how they'd stay the same if we vote for the other guy. I'm sorry, but me going into a voting booth and picking someone would be the equivalent to me throwing a dart in a dark room at the same ballot. It's nothing but a crap shoot. I'd rather say I chose not to vote for these reasons, than be forced to support someone I truly don't want to just because it is "my duty".

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2010, 10:25:50 AM »

That's all every single candidate in CT did. It was actually sickening. I'm sorry, but I can't vote for someone who runs a campaign like that. Just low balling, saying what they have to in order to win. None of them really addressed the citizens problems, just their fears. Every person running said they'd create jobs, but I didn't hear a single explanation as to how. No one running explained how they would cut taxes, only how they'd stay the same if we vote for the other guy. I'm sorry, but me going into a voting booth and picking someone would be the equivalent to me throwing a dart in a dark room at the same ballot. It's nothing but a crap shoot. I'd rather say I chose not to vote for these reasons, than be forced to support someone I truly don't want to just because it is "my duty".
I agree. This year was utterly disgusting in every way.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2010, 10:36:16 AM »

Drives me nuts.  The ONLY thing I heard about the candidate who was running the ad was that he endorsed the ad in some manner.

I agree. This year was utterly disgusting in every way.

You know what I'm talking about, being from CT in all. Did you hear Linda's latest campaign? The one where she was saying Blumenthal did nothing but bash her the entire campaign and how it wasn't right. I wanted to puke in disgust.

I can't take someone who puts out this ad to be serious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGnCY64Oerk&feature=related
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 10:43:33 AM by Chino »

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2010, 10:57:51 AM »
Did Blumenthal just get back from combat again? LOL
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2010, 11:01:17 AM »
Yeah, Vietnam wasn't enough. He's been running his whole campaign while fighting in Iraq.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2010, 11:12:28 AM »
Yeah, Vietnam wasn't enough. He's been running his whole campaign while fighting in Iraq.
:lol
They both did nothing but slander each other. I'm so glad its over!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2010, 11:25:23 AM »

LOL!!!

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2010, 11:34:43 AM »
:lol
They both did nothing but slander each other. I'm so glad its over!

But that's politics :P

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2010, 11:40:41 AM »
My FB wall is filled with the statuses of people praising themselves for voting. Most of which I know for a fact know nothing about this entire election. The fact that they are basically picking who they vote for at random really bothers me. I honestly think than is worse that refusing to vote.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 11:48:32 AM by Chino »

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2010, 11:41:53 AM »
That's part of the reason I actually DON'T want voting to be mandatory in the US, as some people do. I can understand it being a sort of 'civic duty', but I don't trust my neighbor, or even my own mother, for that matter, to vote intelligently, so imagine if EVERYONE voted :P

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2010, 01:41:53 PM »
At what hour are we going to find out who won? Voting booths are closed at what hour?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2010, 01:46:46 PM »
I want to say 5 or 6

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2010, 01:48:31 PM »
I'm too cynical to vote because all the candidates suck.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2010, 01:54:24 PM »
I want to say 5 or 6

8pm in Connecticut. Mosts states are 8 and some are 9 pm.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2010, 01:55:59 PM »
I want to say 5 or 6

8pm in Connecticut. Mosts states are 8 and some are 9 pm.

Yep. Last polls close 8 PM, though if it's a long line, they'll finish that before closing for the day, so it can be as late as ten.

Offline j

« Reply #93 on: November 02, 2010, 03:16:49 PM »
One is going to win regardless of how terrible both are. People can make comparisons to giant douches and turd sandwiches all they want, the point is you're going to have to eat one either way so you might as well try to decide which would be less bad.

1) Neither is "less bad".  They are the same.

2) It's impossible to glean any real information about a candidate thanks to all the bullshit, lying, spin-doctoring, and slander.

That's part of the reason I actually DON'T want voting to be mandatory in the US, as some people do. I can understand it being a sort of 'civic duty', but I don't trust my neighbor, or even my own mother, for that matter, to vote intelligently, so imagine if EVERYONE voted :P

I think most of the people you'd rather not have voting already make it a point to vote consistently.  Selecting at random will have the same ultimate result, but I agree with Chino that it's moronic to be proud of the act of voting when you're an ignorant dipshit.

-J

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #94 on: November 02, 2010, 03:23:09 PM »
WHY DO YOU HATE AMERICA!!!

Now that that's out of the way, all three points are dead on.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2010, 03:31:46 PM »
I have a hard time calling someone who votes an ignorant dip shit. No one has all the facts about anything, but I'd rather vote then not have that option and have no say.
Hats off to the voter, and to the person who doesn't your path will be decided for you, so deal with it. People love to whine like little fuckin girls about everything but do nothing to help make a difference on any level.
:tick2:

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2010, 03:33:08 PM »
I have a hard time calling someone who votes an ignorant dip shit. No one has all the facts about anything, but I'd rather vote then not have that option and have no say.
Hats off to the voter, and to the person who doesn't your path will be decided for you, so deal with it. People love to whine like little fuckin girls about everything but do nothing to help make a difference on any level.

Randomly voting for someone without knowing where they stand is pretty stupid.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2010, 03:37:34 PM »

Well you should have a clue, but I  would assume if your taking the time to vote you have at least a clue on which platform you stand for?
If you don't then no you shouldn't vote, but then were back to someone being a dip shit because they complain the government sucks, yet they won't take any time at all to educate them self to possibly make a choice to help there future.
To that fool I say, shut the fuck up. :tick2:

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2010, 03:40:39 PM »

Well you should have a clue, but I  would assume if your taking the time to vote you have at least a clue on which platform you stand for?
If you don't then no you shouldn't vote, but then were back to someone being a dip shit because they complain the government sucks, yet they won't take any time at all to educate them self to possibly make a choice to help there future.
To that fool I say, shut the fuck up. :tick2:
99% of people where I live don't have a clue other than "He's a Republican" or "He's a Democrat" and vote strictly according to party lines.

As for that, I don't see a single candidate that I think will help the future at all, only assist in regressing it. I'm not voting for a fucktard that aims to rape me anally.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline j

« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2010, 03:49:25 PM »

Damn it, Barto:

Tick, I don't exclude myself from the category of "ignorant dipshit".  I very well may be one, but I'm constantly doing my best to learn and keep myself informed, and my conclusion is that it's painfully obvious that our brand of democracy here in the states is a failure on many levels.  I don't delude myself into thinking that I can learn anything real about a politician or what he will do if elected, not that it matters anyway for reasons outlined previously.  Therefore, I haven't voted for the past couple of years because I am opposed to this broken system in its current form.

Do I do absolutely everything in my power to fight for reform?  No.  I grew tired of politics while still in college, I have other priorities and responsibilities, and lack the desire, motivation, and time.  So if this country falls apart due to my inactivity, I'm prepared to accept responsibility.

Just because somebody votes doesn't mean they're not an idiot.  Would you really dispute that?

-J

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2010, 04:04:03 PM »
What we need to do next election is make sure every single American doesn't go to the polls.

Offline ehra

« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2010, 04:05:50 PM »
1) Neither is "less bad".  They are the same.

lol

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: November 02, 2010, 04:07:47 PM »

Damn it, Barto:

Tick, I don't exclude myself from the category of "ignorant dipshit".  I very well may be one, but I'm constantly doing my best to learn and keep myself informed, and my conclusion is that it's painfully obvious that our brand of democracy here in the states is a failure on many levels.  I don't delude myself into thinking that I can learn anything real about a politician or what he will do if elected, not that it matters anyway for reasons outlined previously.  Therefore, I haven't voted for the past couple of years because I am opposed to this broken system in its current form.

Do I do absolutely everything in my power to fight for reform?  No.  I grew tired of politics while still in college, I have other priorities and responsibilities, and lack the desire, motivation, and time.  So if this country falls apart due to my inactivity, I'm prepared to accept responsibility.

Just because somebody votes doesn't mean they're not an idiot.  Would you really dispute that?

-J
No, I don't want to be quite that insulting. But to the person who belly aches about stuff he could possibly help change, I personally don't want to hear it.
We all hate our current Government situation but we can only do so much. I feel I do what little I can to make myself feel better.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: November 02, 2010, 04:08:45 PM »
What we need to do next election is make sure every single American doesn't go to the polls.
Well if Obama had his way he would make it so your dream came true.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: November 02, 2010, 04:26:12 PM »
Well if Obama had his way he would make it so your dream came true.

What is this supposed to mean?