Author Topic: Get Out And Vote!  (Read 47471 times)

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
Re: Get Out And Vote!
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2010, 09:04:42 AM »
and I agree with Tick ( again lol) that I too do not judge people by their politcal affiliation, but by their heart.. I notice many times people from the other side do not recipricate that, but thats ok, what can ya do?
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2010, 09:05:15 AM »
I'm Aussie and live in a cave. Which election is this?
United States mid-term elections.
Tons of them.  The entire house, and (I think) 1/3 of the senate.  Plus a gazillion state and local races.

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2010, 09:06:02 AM »
Tons of them.  The entire house, and (I think) 1/3 of the senate.  Plus a gazillion state and local races.
This. The only thing that makes it less-significant this year is the lack of the Presidential election.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2010, 09:10:07 AM »
What in the world would ever give you that idea? I see zero evidence of that?

I think I may often fall into the trap where religious = conservative and "OMG, ourkenyanprezsuckslol" = conservative.  Not meaning to be an asshole, but it's easy to make those assumptions sometimes, so that's probably why I thought that.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2010, 09:12:26 AM »

I think I may often fall into the trap where religious = conservative and "OMG, ourkenyanprezsuckslol" = conservative.  Not meaning to be an asshole, but it's easy to make those assumptions sometimes, so that's probably why I thought that.
I may have misunderstood you, but not all Conversatives are morons. Just a little tid bit to know. :)

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2010, 09:14:04 AM »

I think I may often fall into the trap where religious = conservative and "OMG, ourkenyanprezsuckslol" = conservative.  Not meaning to be an asshole, but it's easy to make those assumptions sometimes, so that's probably why I thought that.
I may have misunderstood you, but not all Conversatives are morons. Just a little tid bit to know. :)
There's a difference between Republican and Conservative.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline ehra

« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2010, 09:14:26 AM »
Another election, another year where people will come up with a multitude of excuses for why they won't take a little bit of time out of their oh so busy schedules to check a few boxes or push a few screens then go back to lament the failure of our government and the democratic process.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2010, 09:14:56 AM »
So I decided to check and see if there were any elections that I actually do want to vote in.  I searched for Dallas Texas Sample Ballot 2010 and came up with a long string of Hits.  I picked one that looked pretty official and immediately got a pop up that said "WARNING, YOUR COMPUTER MIGHT ALREADY BE INFECTED--CLICK HERE TO RUN A COMPLETE SCAN NOW!"  

This quite brilliantly reinforces my opinion of the massive circle jerk that's taking place today.  Absolutely fucking beautiful.  

And by the way, I've decided that I might pop down and vote for the Libertarian asshole that's running for my State Board of Education district.  
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2010, 09:16:19 AM »

I do not mean to be rude, but what do you have against Republicans?

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2010, 09:18:11 AM »
Another election, another year where people will come up with a multitude of excuses for why they won't take a little bit of time out of their oh so busy schedules to check a few boxes or push a few screens then go back to lament the failure of our government and the democratic process.
lmao

I do not mean to be rude, but what do you have against Republicans?

I've never met a single Republican that I liked, ever. I have nothing against sane Conservatives though.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2010, 09:19:47 AM »
I find the notion of registering for a political party as patently absurd.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2010, 09:21:04 AM »

Define the difference? I'm genuinely curious as to your answer.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2010, 09:21:40 AM »
Tons of them.  The entire house, and (I think) 1/3 of the senate.  Plus a gazillion state and local races.

plus about 30 or so gubernatorial elections

Which is even more important because next year is a redistricting year :eek

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2010, 09:23:21 AM »

One is a fairly specific ideology.  The other is a political party.  The ideology will influence how you vote on certain topics.  The party will dictate what you vote for on every topic. 
E.F. Benson

Offline ehra

« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2010, 09:23:31 AM »
lmao

The whole thing is deliciously ironic, I know.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2010, 09:23:43 AM »
I don't plan on voting. It seems that every candidate in CT regardless of the position is a complete asshole. For senate I have to choose between a bitch that fired hundreds of people so she could make a few extra million dollars, or a douche that lied multiple times about fighting in Vietnam. No thanks.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2010, 09:24:14 AM »

I think I may often fall into the trap where religious = conservative and "OMG, ourkenyanprezsuckslol" = conservative.  Not meaning to be an asshole, but it's easy to make those assumptions sometimes, so that's probably why I thought that.
Its more of a personal connotation, and not really an objective definition.

But Republican = typical extreme right-winger
Conservative = Has conservative leanings, but isn't bat-shit crazy.

lmao

That wasn't why I was laughing.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2010, 09:24:45 AM »
Why?

For the record I am an independent but I don't see it as absurd? Your not locked in to having to vote for the party, and if you want to vote in a primary you have to be a member of the party to vote in it.

Offline ehra

« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2010, 09:27:14 AM »
lmao

I knew that, too.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2010, 09:28:09 AM »
lmao

I knew that, too.
Good, I was worried that you didn't.

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2010, 09:31:12 AM »
So...can you get a new President? Or is it just for parliament? I watch west wing and stuff but I dunno what mid-terms are actually for...

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2010, 09:32:20 AM »
So...can you get a new President? Or is it just for parliament? I watch west wing and stuff but I dunno what mid-terms are actually for...
Not until 2012. President's term lasts 4 years, this would be Obama's 2nd year in office.

We don't have a parliament, Congress instead but for all intents and purposes you can think of it as the same thing.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2010, 09:34:29 AM »
Why?

For the record I am an independent but I don't see it as absurd? Your not locked in to having to vote for the party, and if you want to vote in a primary you have to be a member of the party to vote in it.
Seems like a win-win for me when reigstering with a party. I'm a registered Republican. I can vote in the Republican primaries for the candidate I believe deserves the party's nomination. What's so absurd about that?
The next President election is in 2012. Our Congressional elections (as well as State and Local elections) are today. What is meant by 'mid-term elections' is the fact it is in the middle of the President's term of office.

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2010, 09:36:48 AM »
Why?

Seems like a win-win for me when reigstering with a party. I'm a registered Republican. I can vote in the Republican primaries for the candidate I believe deserves the party's nomination. What's so absurd about that?
The next President election is in 2012. Our Congressional elections (as well as State and Local elections) are today. What is meant by 'mid-term elections' is the fact it is in the middle of the President's term of office.

So it's "mid-term" because it's the middle of the President's term?
does congress get an election every 2 years, or do they have 4 years as well just with their election in the middle of the president's term?

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2010, 09:37:45 AM »
I never understood the whole 'you can't complain if you didn't vote' sentiment, or the 'it doesn't matter who, just vote!' message for that matter. All of the candidates are complete shit (and most are near-identical), but because you didn't vote for one of them you're no longer allowed to have an opinion in the matter? Why is it that you're required to vote for a candidate in order to hold a 'valid' opinion, even if you don't support any of the candidates ideologically?

As for me, I was never able to get the overseas voter thing sorted out in time, so I won't be voting this time around. Not like it matters, because the winner will be knocking back $30 cocktails before my vote would even be counted.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline ehra

« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2010, 09:38:43 AM »
lmao

I knew that, too.

No point in getting worried about any of it, really. Everyone's too thick headed in their beliefs in one way or another and won't be swayed; whether it's a belief that one entire party is better than the other regardless of each individual candidate's merrits, the belief that everyone will screw us over anyway so there's no point, or even the belief the previous group is just excusing a laziness to not weighing the pros and cons of each choice and making the best choice out of a crappy situation. Might as well have some fun with it, at least.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2010, 09:39:55 AM »
Why?

does congress get an election every 2 years, or do they have 4 years as well just with their election in the middle of the president's term?
I think the Representatives (from the House of Representatives; a house of Congress) is every two years and I believe the Senators (Senate; second house of Congress) is four years and each state has two senators. I believe the elections for each state's senators alternate.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2010, 09:40:43 AM »

I know, I wasn't meaning to imply that I thought they were.  I was just saying that sometimes it's easy to jump to the conclusion that very religious people or people who love to bash our current President for any number of reasons are most likely conservative and/or Republican.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2010, 09:42:54 AM »
lmao

I knew that, too.

No point in getting worried about any of it, really. Everyone's too thick headed in their beliefs in one way or another and won't be swayed; whether it's a belief that one entire party is better than the other regardless of each individual candidate's merrits, the belief that everyone will screw us over anyway so there's no point, or even the belief the previous group is just excusing a laziness to not weighing the pros and cons of each choice and making the best choice out of a crappy situation. Might as well have some fun with it, at least.
Its hard to weigh pros and cons when just about every source regarding them is incredibly biased and intended to persuade you to vote for X candidate, thus making it impossible to know what you're really voting for.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2010, 09:43:34 AM »
Why?

I think the Representatives (from the House of Representatives; a house of Congress) is every two years and I believe the Senators (Senate; second house of Congress) is four years and each state has two senators. I believe the elections for each state's senators alternate.

6 years for senators.  You fail civics!
E.F. Benson

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2010, 09:45:39 AM »
I took civics in 1987.  Mrs. Farthing.  I hated it.  My attention would've been better kept by watching paint dry.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2010, 09:47:01 AM »
Why?

6 years for senators.  You fail civics!
I've always wanted to fail something. :)

Offline ehra

« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2010, 09:55:08 AM »
lmao

I knew that, too.

Its hard to weigh pros and cons when just about every source regarding them is incredibly biased and intended to persuade you to vote for X candidate, thus making it impossible to know what you're really voting for.

Yeah, that is the most difficult part. Part of the problem is that it's so difficult to find actual documentation of what different people actually have supported in the past. You'd think a database that keeps track of what bills and policies different candidates have voted on and how they voted would be immensely useful in keeping the public formed, yet nothing like that exists (or maybe it does and I'm just an idiot who can't find it).

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2010, 09:57:23 AM »
I never understood the whole 'you can't complain if you didn't vote' sentiment, or the 'it doesn't matter who, just vote!' message for that matter.

You can't complain if in the end your going to say the other candidate would have made a difference. I guess that's the point. If you think they both equally suck and just can't vote either then I guess that has a smidgit of merit.
I do believe, their is always a choice that is the lesser of two evils so you should try and make a difference. I do agree that it rarely ever does.

I live in as liberal a state as you can get but regardless, if I believe in the Republican candidate I vote.
That's just me.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2010, 10:03:00 AM »
I find with these elections, people have no clue why they are voting for someone. If anything they have 2 pros for a candidate vs. 1 pro for the other. It's ridiculous. I feel like none of the candidates in CT ran what could have been called a good campaign. I couldn't tell you 5 things combined that they all plan to do, but I could tell you about 50 reasons why I shouldn't vote for them... if that makes sense.