Author Topic: I want to explore Humanism... where to start?  (Read 2130 times)

Offline Seventh Son

I want to explore Humanism... where to start?
« on: November 03, 2010, 05:47:35 PM »
Talking to a friend of mine... apparently a lot of my philosophical views seem to align with humanism. I'm curious and interested and wanting to learn more about it.

Also, I'm dirt poor so if you have a book to recommend, I'd love for it to be viewable online. Not a requirement, but my local library sucks dick and I doubt they'd have anything close to it.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline Ħ

Re: I want to explore Humanism... where to start?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 05:54:29 PM »
With something like humanism, I think you'd be better off with a number of sources, rather than a single one.

There are some basic online essays referred to on this site: https://www.americanhumanist.org/Who_We_Are/About_Humanism

"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 05:58:00 PM »
With something like humanism, I think you'd be better off with a number of sources, rather than a single one.

There are some basic online essays referred to on this site: https://www.americanhumanist.org/Who_We_Are/About_Humanism

Thanks!  :tup

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 07:47:11 PM »
I enjoyed reading the two humanist manifestos, which I'm sure are online

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 09:53:22 PM »
Life's fulfillment emerges from individual participation in the service of humane ideals. We aim for our fullest possible development and animate our lives with a deep sense of purpose, finding wonder and awe in the joys and beauties of human existence, its challenges and tragedies, and even in the inevitability and finality of death. Humanists rely on the rich heritage of human culture and the lifestance of Humanism to provide comfort in times of want and encouragement in times of plenty.

Imo this is the only place in the manifesto thats taking it a bit too far.

wtf is the internet?

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 12:34:24 AM »
If you want I could probably give you a brief history of Humanism. It'd help me study for my exam next wednesday :D Just drop me a line :)

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 11:51:30 AM »
I enjoyed reading the two humanist manifestos, which I'm sure are online
I read the third manifesto. I think the other two are downloadable. Are they any different?

Life's fulfillment emerges from individual participation in the service of humane ideals. We aim for our fullest possible development and animate our lives with a deep sense of purpose, finding wonder and awe in the joys and beauties of human existence, its challenges and tragedies, and even in the inevitability and finality of death. Humanists rely on the rich heritage of human culture and the lifestance of Humanism to provide comfort in times of want and encouragement in times of plenty.

How is that taking it too far? Its basically saying humans should enjoy life for what its worth while we have it.

If you want I could probably give you a brief history of Humanism. It'd help me study for my exam next wednesday :D Just drop me a line :)
If you really want to, but I'm more interested in Secular Humanism, unless you're willing to do it that way.

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 10:15:35 PM »
what other type of humanism is there?

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 03:36:24 AM »

How is that taking it too far? Its basically saying humans should enjoy life for what its worth while we have it.

It's kind of a bold statement on what life's fulfillment depends on. 'Fulfillment' is just too strong a term for a secular manifesto. Not sure what that claim is based on. How do you achieve a life 'fulfillment' anyways? Sounds like religion without god.

wtf is the internet?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 04:37:48 AM »
Sounds like religion without god.

That's pretty much my view of humanism, lol.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 06:33:58 AM »
what other type of humanism is there?
The site mentioned several types, including Religious Humanism.