Author Topic: DTF I need your help (psych)  (Read 2155 times)

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
DTF I need your help (psych)
« on: November 01, 2010, 01:41:47 PM »
Now that 'Up The Downstair' is my favorite PT albums I want more albums or artists like that, so any recomendations DTF?
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: DTF I need your help (psych)
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 01:46:22 PM »
I guess you already know them, but The Sky Moves Sideways and Voyage 34 also by PT? :>
Being a noob at psychedelic music, i guess Pink Floyd should have something similar, but i don't know their catalog. :/

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 01:53:05 PM »
I guess you already know them, but The Sky Moves Sideways and Voyage 34 also by PT? :>
Being a noob at psychedelic music, i guess Pink Floyd should have something similar, but i don't know their catalog. :/
Yep, I already got those 2, and the Pink Floyd thing... I'm in the same situation I know they should have somenthing like that but I don't know their catalog, I only got Animals and Wish You Were Here.  :P

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 02:23:05 PM »
"Piper at the Gates of Dawn" by Pink Floyd and "Their Satanic Majesties Request" by The Rolling Stones both came out of the summer of love, if I'm not mistaken.

Offline jsem

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 02:54:19 PM »
If you're looking for psych... space rock kings Hawkwind have something to offer you!
Check out the albums Hawkwind, In Search of Space, Levitation and Warrior on the Edge of Time

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 03:00:36 PM »
Just try Ozric Tentacles :P
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 11:58:30 PM »

yes Yes YES! Spectacular band!
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 09:43:07 PM »
If you're looking for psych... space rock kings Hawkwind have something to offer you!
Check out the albums Hawkwind, In Search of Space, Levitation and Warrior on the Edge of Time
These 2 won. Thanks guys.

Edit: Any other recommendations?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 10:00:07 PM by toro »

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 02:18:37 PM »
Fun fact: Porcupine Tree actually opened up for Ozric Tentacles, on a few occasions. Just saw OT live last week, they were great.

Ozric Tentacles album recommendations:

Erpland (1990) - If you like organic sounding spacerock, with lots of world music and eastern influences. This one is a flagship OT album (they have like.. 20 records), and it features the fan favorites 'Eternal Wheel', 'Tidal Convergence', 'Erpland' and 'The Throbbe'. These are essential OT tracks. On the downside, the production of this album isn't that great, but it's not hindering the music in any way.

Curious Corn (1996) - Good sounding production, and more electronica. Combination of sequenced tracks and band tracks. Most psychedelic tracks are definately 'Oolite Grove', 'Oddentity', and 'Papyrus'.

Waterfall Cities (1999) - This one probably has Ozric's most progressive tune to date: 'Coily'. This track is amazing, you should hear it.

Then there's a great compilation album called 'Eternal Wheel: Best of Ozric Tentacles'. I know all their material, and I think this is a great selection to get to know the band. It opens with 'Jurassic Shift' (from the record of the same name), and that's also a flagship Ozric tune.

At the end of the day, it's all Ozric Tentacles, and it's all just insanely spacy and fun to listen to. But these are my favorites. No matter what you check it, please avoid anything they released after 'The Hidden Step' (2000). After that record the band actually stopped being a real band with contributing members, and essentially became an Ed Wynne solo project, with uninspiring sequenced tracks that don't go anywhere.

www.ozrics.com - they have some tracks up for streaming.

Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 02:26:39 PM »
If you don't have any psychadelic Floyd stuff, get Meddle immediately.  And Dark Side, even though thats not as psychadelic.  The Relics compilation is a good choice as well.

Can't help beyond that, my bad.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 03:01:05 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX4ntG1Ks9s

Live performance 'Astronomy Domine' by Pink Floyd, from the early psychedelic Syd Barrett days. The introduction by the show's host is hilarious. I can see where he's coming from, this must've been truly weird music at that time.

I was going to post a live vid of Pink Floyd's 'Echoes' (from Live at Pompeii), but then I realised that's on an official release. Anyway, that DVD is awesome.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 03:11:31 PM by PixelDream »
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 09:59:36 PM »
Fun fact: Porcupine Tree actually opened up for Ozric Tentacles, on a few occasions. Just saw OT live last week, they were great.

Ozric Tentacles album recommendations:

Erpland (1990) - If you like organic sounding spacerock, with lots of world music and eastern influences. This one is a flagship OT album (they have like.. 20 records), and it features the fan favorites 'Eternal Wheel', 'Tidal Convergence', 'Erpland' and 'The Throbbe'. These are essential OT tracks. On the downside, the production of this album isn't that great, but it's not hindering the music in any way.

Curious Corn (1996) - Good sounding production, and more electronica. Combination of sequenced tracks and band tracks. Most psychedelic tracks are definately 'Oolite Grove', 'Oddentity', and 'Papyrus'.

Waterfall Cities (1999) - This one probably has Ozric's most progressive tune to date: 'Coily'. This track is amazing, you should hear it.

Then there's a great compilation album called 'Eternal Wheel: Best of Ozric Tentacles'. I know all their material, and I think this is a great selection to get to know the band. It opens with 'Jurassic Shift' (from the record of the same name), and that's also a flagship Ozric tune.

At the end of the day, it's all Ozric Tentacles, and it's all just insanely spacy and fun to listen to. But these are my favorites. No matter what you check it, please avoid anything they released after 'The Hidden Step' (2000). After that record the band actually stopped being a real band with contributing members, and essentially became an Ed Wynne solo project, with uninspiring sequenced tracks that don't go anywhere.

www.ozrics.com - they have some tracks up for streaming.

I got Curious Corn before reading your post and I was blown away, goddamn, I'm so gonna get Waterfall Cities thanks to you and to Seventh Son. This is truly an awesome band.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 10:05:15 PM by toro »

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 10:36:51 PM »
Try Jurassic Shift, too. I've always loved that album.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.