Author Topic: Lateralus's Top 13 Underrated/Obscure Musicians  (Read 45338 times)

Offline Seventh Son

Re: Lateralus's Top 13 Underrated/Obscure Musicians
« Reply #105 on: November 04, 2010, 01:12:11 PM »
You are now aware you are endorsing him pick up an A7X album immediately.

Hi, I'm Seventh Son. I have absolutely nothing to contribute to this thread but minor trolling. In fact, I won't discuss the artists and just talk down about them.
More fix'd.

>Implying that all of General Music Discussion isn't about trolling and talking down about artists they don't like.

I'm just waiting for someone I like to pop up anyway.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #106 on: November 04, 2010, 01:14:49 PM »
That's why people generally lurk. You know, lurk.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #107 on: November 04, 2010, 01:16:26 PM »
But that's no fun.  :|

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #108 on: November 04, 2010, 01:19:48 PM »
This. That's like going into every thread for every band you don't like and saying "Yeah, this band sucks. I have nothing else to say."
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: November 04, 2010, 01:20:43 PM »
Or going into a restaurant, ordering the food that disgusts you the most just to throw up and gross out other costumers.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #110 on: November 04, 2010, 01:21:03 PM »
This. That's like going into every thread for every band you don't like and saying "Yeah, this band sucks. I have nothing else to say."
Except that its a pretty common occurrence in literally every music forum on the internet.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: November 04, 2010, 01:21:26 PM »
Or going into a restaurant, ordering the food that disgusts you the most just to throw up and gross out other costumers.

My friend did that once.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: November 04, 2010, 01:23:59 PM »
Except that its a pretty common occurrence in literally every music forum on the internet.
"It's a popular occurrence, so I should do it to"

My friend did that once.
What an asshole.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #113 on: November 04, 2010, 01:26:57 PM »
I've never been apart of a forum where it didn't happen (DTF included) pretty often, so I'm just used to it and I typically expect other people to be used to it or not really take it seriously. Its happened to me a lot so I just go "lol, whatever" and move on. I don't see the point in being mad if someone disses a band you like.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: November 04, 2010, 01:29:07 PM »
I've never been apart of a forum where it didn't happen (DTF included) pretty often, so I'm just used to it and I typically expect other people to be used to it or not really take it seriously. Its happened to me a lot so I just go "lol, whatever" and move on. I don't see the point in being mad if someone disses a band you like.
Ordinarily, I'd agree. But, the way you do it is especially frustrating, for whatever reason.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: November 04, 2010, 01:30:35 PM »
Oh I don't care if you don't like the band and I don't care if you want to express it. But it bothers me (internet and real life) when someone does it just because, with no constructive criticism whatsoever. Especially in a thread where I am listing a top x favourite y and someone comes in to bash without actually talking about why they disagree.

(i.e. "Hurr they suck durr")

If this were the controversial opinions thread, it'd be much more justified.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: November 04, 2010, 01:32:10 PM »

My friend did that once.
What an asshole.

Well, let me clarify. He knew he didn't like it, but he didn't think it would make him throw up. Whatever it was he ordered, he wanted to "develop a taste for it" so he tried it again. With disastrous results. So he wasn't being an asshole on purpose.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #117 on: November 04, 2010, 01:35:49 PM »
Ordinarily, I'd agree. But, the way you do it is especially frustrating, for whatever reason.
*Shrug*
Don't take it seriously? I don't mean any harm in it. Its like you're talking about a band in a group of friends and a couple of them go "X band sucks lol", but they don't hate you for it, they just don't like the band in question. Lat's a cool guy and all, its like just giving him a small jab.

Oh I don't care if you don't like the band and I don't care if you want to express it. But it bothers me (internet and real life) when someone does it just because, with no constructive criticism whatsoever. Especially in a thread where I am listing a top x favourite y and someone comes in to bash without actually talking about why they disagree.

(i.e. "Hurr they suck durr")

If this were the controversial opinions thread, it'd be much more justified.
Again, I'm used to that kind of behavior, to the point where its rubbed off on me I guess. Music forums primarily exist for telling people that their favorite band is terrible anyway.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: November 04, 2010, 01:39:39 PM »
Seventh, it's because you do it nonstop in almost every thread. I have no problem with you, but I can see why it rubs people the wrong way because you're so damn persistant about it. Once in a while is fine; we're all guilty of that. But you do it entirely too much. Just my opinion.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #119 on: November 04, 2010, 01:43:49 PM »
Like, for instance, if I made a top 50 bands list, I can pretty much guarantee that Dream Theater isn't on it. I still really like them, but I have many others that I like a lot more. And I'm pretty sure I'd get a lot of shit for that, because I like a lot of Death/Black metal and they'd get the nod ahead of DT. And a lot of people that hate harsh vocals would be like "HURR THIS LIST SUCKS DREAM THEATER IS BETTER THAN SHITTY DEATH METAL HERP A DERP", but in the end I'd just have to take that in stride, now wouldn't I? I dunno, instead of getting mad, I'd rather jab them right back.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: November 04, 2010, 01:46:03 PM »
I don't know, I don't see this community saying that, per se. I mean, you aren't the only person here who doesn't listen to DT anymore.

How about we compromise. Try making some more constructive posts, particularly in this thread, if you are going to post about music. So you know...you don't come off as a completely elitist douche.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #121 on: November 04, 2010, 01:49:57 PM »
I don't know, I don't see this community saying that, per se. I mean, you aren't the only person here who doesn't listen to DT anymore.

How about we compromise. Try making some more constructive posts, particularly in this thread, if you are going to post about music. So you know...you don't come off as a completely elitist douche.
Fine, fine. Its still hard though, when 99% of the people you talk about music with happen to be elitist douches (And you have to admit, a LOT of music forums are essentially elitist circle jerking) it rubs off on you :P

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: November 04, 2010, 01:55:56 PM »

Fine, fine. Its still hard though, when 99% of the people you talk about music with happen to be elitist douches (And you have to admit, a LOT of music forums are essentially elitist circle jerking) it rubs off on you :P
That's all I read. :neverusethis:

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #123 on: November 04, 2010, 01:56:43 PM »

That's all I read. :neverusethis:
:eyebrows:

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: November 04, 2010, 02:01:01 PM »
Now that we have that out of the way, I'm going to go ahead and bump today's update seeing how it got buried in that shitstorm.

Seize the Day is awful. Just plain awful.

Oh right, it's update time.

#9 - Christian "Flake" Lorenz (Rammstein)

Flake is such an underrated keyboard/synth player. I mean, part of the reason Rammstein is so fucking badass is his work on keyboard. But most people (from what I've noticed) tend to flock towards how god damn manly Til Lindemann is. Primarily what I love about Flake is both how his music adds the overall atmosphere of the song, whether it be a simple synthezer riff or some of that gothic choir like music and that I really like how it isn't too flashy, but you know it's there. He's also in general just a really cool guy/musician, like the rest of Rammstein. Eh is okay with being LIT ON FIRE ON STAGE and doesn't afraid of anything. Seriously, that's has got to be the epitome of awesome. And he even stated once "It's just pain". :metal :metal :metal

Favourite songs - Zwitter, Feuer Frei!, Moskau, Buck Dich

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #125 on: November 04, 2010, 02:56:04 PM »
SOAD, A7X and Rammstein are three bands I don't really know, I haven't took the time to listen to them though I'm well aware of their existences.
Mezmerize/Hypnotize
City of Evil
Mutter

Get those albums someday.
Don't know A7X but I'd rather recommend Steal This Album and Rosenrot to be honest. Both are really underrated while they are just great, and both have songs which are some of the most monumental work either band has ever done (Streamline and Hilf Mir, respectively). Though Hypnotize is also a good idea. Mezmerize is inconsistent as hell imo, ranges from insomnia cure material (Radio/Video) to awesome. Sorry for my usual "underrated" messing but couldn't resist :p

Also, I admit I never really focused on keyboards in Rammstein that much, but when I get to listening to them again... I will.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: November 04, 2010, 04:59:07 PM »
SOAD, A7X and Rammstein are three bands I don't really know, I haven't took the time to listen to them though I'm well aware of their existences.
Mezmerize/Hypnotize
City of Evil
Mutter

Get those albums someday.
Don't know A7X but I'd rather recommend Steal This Album and Rosenrot to be honest. Both are really underrated while they are just great, and both have songs which are some of the most monumental work either band has ever done (Streamline and Hilf Mir, respectively). Though Hypnotize is also a good idea. Mezmerize is inconsistent as hell imo, ranges from insomnia cure material (Radio/Video) to awesome. Sorry for my usual "underrated" messing but couldn't resist :p

Also, I admit I never really focused on keyboards in Rammstein that much, but when I get to listening to them again... I will.
At first I was like, who in the fucking universe would call Mezmerize inconsistent?

Then I saw.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #127 on: November 04, 2010, 05:48:16 PM »
I have Toxicity and Steal This Album and loved them while being a young boy-y scott-y but it's been a while since I drowned in these audio-material.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #128 on: November 04, 2010, 05:50:03 PM »
At first I was like, who in the fucking universe would call Mezmerize inconsistent?

Then I saw.
Like I said, imo the intro, BYOB, Cigaro and Lost in Hollywood are great, some are pretty good, and then you have Radio/Video which is just... wtf. Hypnotize is a way better album as a whole.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #129 on: November 05, 2010, 05:34:08 AM »
Self titled is the best them.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: November 05, 2010, 10:44:48 AM »
Claudio Sanchez. He is the reason I can't listen to Coheed And Cambria at all.

Don't take this as a personal attack man, but I hope you die.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: November 05, 2010, 12:56:55 PM »
DOUBLE UPDATE BITCHES (since I won't be able to update tomorrow, I think)

#8 - Craig Finn (Ex Lifter Puller, The Hold Steady)

As far as I know, I'm the only Holy Steady fan on the board, but I could be dead wrong. The band is a fairly straight forward, standard rock style band, but still somehow fall into that abyss of a label known as "Alternative". I guess they fall under this category because of their vocalist, Craig Finn and his specific vocal style. As a good friend of mine once said regarding Finn, "He's a great story teller. In all honesty, I could see him sitting in a chair at a coffee shop and just talk about the lyrics to the bands songs." That basically sums up it up for me as well. The way Craig Finn does his vocals is more for story telling purposes. He's not necessarily a "good" or "talented" singer (as by most peoples standards) but he also doesn't try to come off that way. Hell, half of his vocals are basically spoken word while retaining a sound of music in his voice (if that makes ANY sense). But it works, because he's a damn good story teller.

Favourite songs
- The Cattle and the Creeping Things, How a Resurrection Really Feels, Girls like Status

----------------------------

#7 - Justin Chancellor (Tool)

Okay yes, Chancellor just so happens to be the bassist for progressive metal act, Tool, who are relatively well known and respected. But from personal experience, Maynard, Carey and Jones are the most widely respected and discussed. When I saw Tool this summer (You mad, Birchboy) my friend and I got in line 2 hours before the show started, and were in the very front. Well had several conversations with fellow Tool fans, and I seemed like the only person who was giving this otherworldly bassist any praise. I actually don't recall over hearing much word from other fans as well. Maybe a comment here or there. But Chancellor is definitely worth much more recognition. Not only is he an extremely talented bassist who can play some immensely complicated music, the way he plays has this very defined sound and style to it. Along side with that, I love how Chancellor plays the bass as its own instrument, and not just meant to double riffs and "Because we need a bassist". But then again, that's more what I love about Tool in general. Respect the Chancellor.

Favourite songs - Prison Sex, 10,000 Days, Lateralus, Aenima

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #132 on: November 05, 2010, 01:00:14 PM »
While Justin Chancellor is an amazing bassist and should definitely be on this list, he wasn't in the band when they recorded Undertow.
:lol :lol
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: November 05, 2010, 01:01:09 PM »
I love Justin.  One of my favorite metal bassists for sure.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: November 05, 2010, 01:02:17 PM »
While Justin Chancellor is an amazing bassist and should definitely be on this list, he wasn't in the band when they recorded Undertow.
:lol :lol
Oh...shit you're right. I totally didn't think about that. Fuck it, Prison Sex stays because it's too fucking good.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #135 on: November 05, 2010, 01:14:20 PM »
Great choice with Justin! :tup I only have Lateralus but the bass is definitely an highlight on this album!

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #136 on: November 05, 2010, 02:34:51 PM »
Great choice with Justin! :tup I only have Lateralus but the bass is definitely an highlight on this album!
Ænima NAO
I AM A GUY

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #137 on: November 05, 2010, 02:42:17 PM »
Don't care for Tool :neverusethis:

I'm not really familiar with The Hold Steady though.

Carry on.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #138 on: November 05, 2010, 02:59:27 PM »
Seventh Son = fail
I AM A GUY

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #139 on: November 05, 2010, 03:01:08 PM »
Justin has an incredible bass tone. Reflection for example.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD