Author Topic: The James Labrie Appreciation Thread  (Read 10102 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Inglourious Basstard
Re: The James Labrie Appreciation Thread
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2021, 08:49:54 PM »
Same here.  I doubt I would have been drawn to DT back in 1993 if not for JLB's voice. 

I know it's cliche by this point, but:

Me listening to the first couple minutes of Pull Me Under the first time in 1993 "Cool instrumentation, sounds like this song is building up to something special, wonder where it's going from here...."
Me listening to the Pull Me Under once James hits the Sparrows Fly line "OMG THIS IS THE MOST AMAZING THING I HAVE EVER HEARD!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2021, 10:55:46 AM »
To those still unsure about James, just imagine what would've happened if DT chose John Arch (who did audition for them) instead... yikes! :eek

Arch is probably the no. 1 in my "completely unlistenable vocalists" list (along with most death metal growlers out there) :lol

That's pretty harsh. I love John Arch BUUUUUUUUTTTTT...I can see why some people wouldn't like his voice. There are very few vocalists I don't appreciate. I can love everything from King Diamond to Alice Cooper to some of those death metal growlers.

Not trying to be disrespectful to Arch, he surely can sing well and has his very own distinctive sound, I just can't listen to him. I've tried with early Fates, his Twist of Fate EP and the Arch/Matheos band and nope, can't even manage to listen to a full song start to finish :eek

He does have a very thin sounding voice. I can see how someone would be put off.

An ex of mine could almost pick out which songs I was going to respond to most when a new album was released because according to her, I "always like the theatrical sounding stuff the most." I never realized that especially since I don't care for musicals. But it's true. I typically respond to stuff that is out of the norm, somewhat dramatic, and I kind of feel arch is that way. Even though his voice isn't very diverse, it has a lot character.

Online goo-goo

• Discogs Store
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2021, 12:00:38 PM »
By the way, EoP was released as a yellow vinyl for this year's RSD. EoP is one of my favorite all time albums.

https://www.newburycomics.com/products/james_labrie-elements_of_persuasion_2lp_color?variant=40966343884980

Offline RAIN

« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2021, 09:52:10 AM »
He was kind of annoying for a while, though I don't know why.
But the last two albums, and especially the new one, he is simply fantastic.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2021, 10:50:55 AM »
Just out of curiosity, in a recent interview for this magazine: https://roadiecrew.com/veja-a-nova-revista/
JLB said: "Even though it horrifies our fans, the record that really allowed me to show all the colors and all the different styles of my voice was The Astonishing".
He didn't said literally that, but I do think TA is his favorite recording (as it's mine).
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)