Author Topic: The James Labrie Appreciation Thread  (Read 28831 times)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Re: The James Labrie Appreciation Thread
« Reply #105 on: April 06, 2022, 10:11:32 AM »
I have a chat with him this week to talk about his upcoming album. Can't wait!

I know this might not be the best thing to ask, but it'd be great if you could ask him to give more light on his ProgPower solo band cancellation a few years ago.
Or if that's too heated, just in general how the solo band thing has panned out over the years. Matt and James were talking about an EP in 2019 and another old-lineup-JLB-band-album short after then boom, Paul Logue charms JLB and it's crickets with Matt :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #106 on: April 06, 2022, 10:19:14 AM »
I've been thinking about this:

- COVID; not in terms of touring and whatnot, but purely in context of SINGING, how has COVID impacted you?  Does the use of masks actually help you in terms of those seasonal "illnesses" that affect all of us?

- Anything on the horizon along the lines of your work with Arjen on the Ayreon records?

- Has there ever been any desire to do a stripped back acoustic record like Myles Kennedy did for his first solo record?  Or Devin Townsend did on the live release for the Empath album?

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2022, 10:35:58 AM »
Or I have been curious about.
I see Jordan is touring this summer. Which means DT is not. Any thoughts on JLB touring to promote new record?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2022, 10:56:26 AM »
The interview is confirmed for this Friday! I haven't received the album yet, but will give you my impressions when I get it.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #109 on: April 07, 2022, 02:50:05 AM »
The album is better than i expected, just to hype you up, i've got the promo for a week or so.
Some really catchy melodies.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #110 on: April 08, 2022, 10:35:42 AM »
The album is better than i expected, just to hype you up, i've got the promo for a week or so.

The weirdest thing happened to me with this album...nothing grabbed me at first, but on the second listen, I absolutely love it! James' voice is in the forefront, and there are some really cool melodies throughout the album. The Led Zeppelin cover is well done too!

I just spoke with James about the album, and did ask him about making peace with MP. I hope it gets published soon, it came out great!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #111 on: April 08, 2022, 11:11:59 AM »

The weirdest thing happened to me with this album...nothing grabbed me at first, but on the second listen, I absolutely love it! James' voice is in the forefront, and there are some really cool melodies throughout the album. The Led Zeppelin cover is well done too!

I just spoke with James about the album, and did ask him about making peace with MP. I hope it gets published soon, it came out great!
:metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #112 on: April 08, 2022, 12:00:47 PM »

:tup :tup :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Kram

« Reply #113 on: April 08, 2022, 01:10:05 PM »

Looking forward to reading it.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #114 on: April 08, 2022, 02:09:52 PM »

Thanks! You are great.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #115 on: April 11, 2022, 04:30:16 PM »
Devil in Drag kind of reminds me of his Mullmuzzler stuff.  Those weren't my favorite albums, but I dig the new single.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2022, 06:02:01 PM »
My interview with James was published today. Tons of great information on the interview, and his take on making amends with MP towards the end: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcI7PMms1o0&t=489s

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2022, 06:11:39 PM »
My interview with James was published today. Tons of great information on the interview, and his take on making amends with MP towards the end: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcI7PMms1o0&t=489s

Rodrigo, that's a great grab, and that should make the media rounds. He felt comfortable enough with you to be truly honest. You can tell it weighed on him. That walk he took must've been very interesting. I'm glad he accepted the opportunity that Mike had given him.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2022, 06:49:01 PM »

Rodrigo, that's a great grab, and that should make the media rounds. He felt comfortable enough with you to be truly honest. You can tell it weighed on him. That walk he took must've been very interesting. I'm glad he accepted the opportunity that Mike had given him.

Thanks, man. And I left that question for last on purpose...if he had an issue with it, at least it wouldn't spoil the rest of the chat. Also, it would give me a chance to show how much of a fan I am, and not just some guy who was assigned a task of promoting his album, so he would be more comfortable with a loaded question like that. I'm really happy with the end result of this interview.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2022, 07:55:37 PM »
Excellent, Rodrigo!! And the part about Portnoy was asked very nicely and in a very positive way!!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #120 on: April 16, 2022, 08:39:43 PM »
By the way, I just checked Rock in Rio 2019 and the penultimate shows lasted around 1 hour and 20 minutes, with the exception of Maiden/Scorpions - but Maiden played earlier as own choice, even being the headliner. I really wish that the festival could open a exception for DT to have a 2 hours show since Megadeth gave up.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 09:33:33 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Spider In The Sky

« Reply #121 on: April 16, 2022, 09:45:51 PM »

Thanks, man. And I left that question for last on purpose...if he had an issue with it, at least it wouldn't spoil the rest of the chat. Also, it would give me a chance to show how much of a fan I am, and not just some guy who was assigned a task of promoting his album, so he would be more comfortable with a loaded question like that. I'm really happy with the end result of this interview.

Hey Rod! This is Entre_Perpetuo from TRF. Just finished watching your interview with James and it was fantastic! I really felt like James was an open book during the whole conversation, and you had great questions and great charisma. So congrats!

Btw, as a more general note, I didn't realize when I heard about MP being at that NYC gig that James and Mike had never actually made up before that night, so that whole last story James told was really eye opening to me as a fan. James is such a wonderful human being, and I'm so glad he and Mike were able to put the past in the past and return to that friendship they originally shared.  I was always more of the understanding that MP had been unfair and cruel to JLB back when they first started having issues, and that understanding had led me to think of MP in a less positive light.  So to hear that Mike actually came forward and wanted to put things right between them, and to hear what he wrote to James after that Grammy win... that gives me a lot more respect for Portnoy than I had been fostering before.

Offline sylentman

« Reply #122 on: April 16, 2022, 10:43:11 PM »

Very good interview, thanks for sharing! Obrigado.
By the way nice Rush t-shirt.

Online Mladen

« Reply #123 on: April 17, 2022, 03:16:39 AM »
Brilliant, Rodrigo. Thanks for asking that question.  :tup

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #124 on: April 17, 2022, 03:19:16 AM »
By the way, I just checked Rock in Rio 2019 and the penultimate shows lasted around 1 hour and 20 minutes, with the exception of Maiden/Scorpions - but Maiden played earlier as own choice, even being the headliner. I really wish that the festival could open a exception for DT to have a 2 hours show since Megadeth gave up.

They're promising to add a new band on the Megadeth slot, and there's speculation that it's Judas Priest. Imagine that?!?!!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #125 on: April 17, 2022, 03:21:52 AM »

Hey Rod! This is Entre_Perpetuo from TRF. Just finished watching your interview with James and it was fantastic! I really felt like James was an open book during the whole conversation, and you had great questions and great charisma. So congrats!

Btw, as a more general note, I didn't realize when I heard about MP being at that NYC gig that James and Mike had never actually made up before that night, so that whole last story James told was really eye opening to me as a fan. James is such a wonderful human being, and I'm so glad he and Mike were able to put the past in the past and return to that friendship they originally shared.  I was always more of the understanding that MP had been unfair and cruel to JLB back when they first started having issues, and that understanding had led me to think of MP in a less positive light.  So to hear that Mike actually came forward and wanted to put things right between them, and to hear what he wrote to James after that Grammy win... that gives me a lot more respect for Portnoy than I had been fostering before.

Thanks! And I didn't know you were here, man...TRF is down! What's up with that?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #126 on: April 17, 2022, 03:22:12 AM »
Brilliant, Rodrigo. Thanks for asking that question.  :tup

Thank you!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #127 on: April 17, 2022, 03:23:36 AM »

Very good interview, thanks for sharing! Obrigado.
By the way nice Rush t-shirt.

Thank you! I always try to avoid the black t-shirts from bands, because I have PLENTY of them. This blue Rush one is from Henderson Brewery, and the design is from Hugh Syme.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #128 on: April 17, 2022, 06:35:31 AM »
JLB addressed this very nicely, and what cannot be overlooked is how this was put on him at basically the last minute, so while mad props to both guys for burying the hatchet, mad respect to James especially for handling it the way he did.  :tup :tup

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #129 on: April 17, 2022, 06:45:23 AM »
JLB addressed this very nicely, and what cannot be overlooked is how this was put on him at basically the last minute, so while mad props to both guys for burying the hatchet, mad respect to James especially for handling it the way he did.  :tup :tup

Imagine having that thrown at you right before a concert! "How about burying the hatchet on a ten year grudge?".

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: April 17, 2022, 08:12:24 PM »
It's making its way around Fbook.   https://www.facebook.com/groups/dreamtheaterworld

Good job! :tup
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online faizoff

« Reply #132 on: April 17, 2022, 11:46:48 PM »

That's such an awesome interview, thanks for sharing! Such a chill vibe.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #133 on: April 18, 2022, 02:53:58 AM »
It's making its way around Fbook.   https://www.facebook.com/groups/dreamtheaterworld

Good job! :tup

Yes, I saw it translated to Portuguese and Italian already. Cool!!!!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #134 on: April 18, 2022, 02:56:11 AM »

That's such an awesome interview, thanks for sharing! Such a chill vibe.

Thank you! James made it easy - it was clear to me that he was in good spirits right at the start. And I've always aimed that my interviews were like a casual conversation, but not all of them come out as natural as this one. If you compare the one I did with James in 2018, it's a stark contrast!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #135 on: April 18, 2022, 06:42:14 AM »
It genuinely warms my heart to see those guys make up after all these years. Great interview, Rodrigo!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Spider In The Sky

« Reply #136 on: April 18, 2022, 12:12:27 PM »

Thanks! And I didn't know you were here, man...TRF is down! What's up with that?

Yeah I haven't been on here long at all. I just felt like joining finally after I saw DT last month, and then I never actually took the time to log on and start chatting till TRF started bugging out recently. Looks like it's down for me again right now, not sure what the issue is this time.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #137 on: May 19, 2022, 06:19:18 AM »
Here's a question for you guys. Even when James was at his peak, pre-injury; it seems he still was a "polarizing" vocalist in the metal community or even among casual listeners. I was just wondering what the main reason for that was - speculating that maybe it was his tone, or maybe his enunciation? Or maybe both? Because he certainly had range and power back then, and wasn't having as much trouble with pitch.

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #138 on: May 19, 2022, 06:47:23 AM »
Here's a question for you guys. Even when James was at his peak, pre-injury; it seems he still was a "polarizing" vocalist in the metal community or even among casual listeners. I was just wondering what the main reason for that was - speculating that maybe it was his tone, or maybe his enunciation? Or maybe both? Because he certainly had range and power back then, and wasn't having as much trouble with pitch.

Lot's of top-tier singers appear ploarizing (meaning, they elicit strong praise and equally strong razzing), but I personally feel that, in actuallity, the negativity we see online with virtually anything is a very loud, very small minority.

Go on reddit, type in any A-list frontman, and regardless of who they are, someone has written a thosuand word post tearing them apart. I've seen it with everyone from people whom I'd think are unassailiable (like James Hetfield) to guys like Ross from Haken.

My view on all of this? Haters gonna hate.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #139 on: May 24, 2022, 07:01:25 AM »
I've listened to the his new album and the FII demos this weekend. I've been harsh on James this year, but the one thing that's always been true is that he is amazing at the soft emotional vocals (especially studio).