Author Topic: Was that it with Spock's Beard?  (Read 2605 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Was that it with Spock's Beard?
« on: October 22, 2010, 02:19:48 PM »
My brother sent me an email telling me he read some interview about how X came about. Apparently it's a pretty dire picture. X was pre-financed by fans, was recorded separately and not in a studio, and the European tour only came about because NDV was in Europe because of his Cirque de Soleil gig that was in Europe. All the other guys are back to working day jobs, e.g.  Al works in an electronics shop.

It's a shame. The last album was quite good, but I think it was too little too late. I think if X had been the follow-up to Snow the story would be different.

BTW, from what I can gather, Neal isn't really doing that much better.

Discuss.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Was that it with Spock's Beard?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 02:26:24 PM »
I don't think it would have mattered, honestly.  That kind of retro-prog has a very niche audience, and they were never gonna be a band that was big at all.  Right or wrong, they simply don't sound "modern" enough to appeal to any kind of a large audience.  Same goes for a lot of other new(er) symphonic prog-type bands.  Neal's departure definitely didn't help, but I think they had gotten as popular as they were ever gonna get.  Some like to talk like they were gonna get big as a result of Snow, and that Neal leaving killed them, but let's get real.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 02:41:30 PM »
I don't think it would have mattered, honestly.  That kind of retro-prog has a very niche audience, and they were never gonna be a band that was big at all.  Right or wrong, they simply don't sound "modern" enough to appeal to any kind of a large audience.  Same goes for a lot of other new(er) symphonic prog-type bands.  Neal's departure definitely didn't help, but I think they had gotten as popular as they were ever gonna get.  Some like to talk like they were gonna get big as a result of Snow, and that Neal leaving killed them, but let's get real.

I think you hit the nail on the head, Kev. It's still sad, but it's pretty much the way things work.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 02:41:43 PM »
Interesting, and I see your point. The music they were making was on its way out anyway, and maybe Neal jumped ship smartly also.
But then again, look at Genesis. They were in the same position when Gabriel left, but managed to reinvent themselves with a different style. The difference of course was that SB doesn't have a Phil Collins. From what I understand SB even had to resort to an outsider songwriter because of this.

rumborak

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 02:45:27 PM »
Interesting, and I see your point. The music they were making was on its way out anyway, and maybe Neal jumped ship smartly also.
But then again, look at Genesis. They were in the same position when Gabriel left, but managed to reinvent themselves with a different style. The difference of course was that SB doesn't have a Phil Collins. From what I understand SB even had to resort to an outsider songwriter because of this.

rumborak

SB was never as big of a name in their time as Genesis was in theirs.  Sure, Genesis wasn't mainstream.  But prog was more than a little niche in the world of popular music, and prog bands were touring the world with big stage shows.  They weren't unknowns.  Prog nowadays is loved by the old fogeys, nerds, and those few young people like me who happen to dig it.

I do think Neal's departure killed the band.  Not that they're not good without him, but having him in the group sure didn't hurt.
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 02:47:11 PM »
My brother sent me an email telling me he read some interview about how X came about. Apparently it's a pretty dire picture. X was pre-financed by fans, was recorded separately and not in a studio, and the European tour only came about because NDV was in Europe because of his Cirque de Soleil gig that was in Europe. All the other guys are back to working day jobs, e.g.  Al works in an electronics shop.

It's a shame. The last album was quite good, but I think it was too little too late. I think if X had been the follow-up to Snow the story would be different.

BTW, from what I can gather, Neal isn't really doing that much better.

Discuss.

rumborak

?
NDV was not in Europe because of CDS, as far as I know.
Al OWNS the company, as far as I know.

I really wanna see that interview to prove me wrong.

SB is among the thousands of prog bands who can't make a living out of their music. Sad indeed, but true. But that also was the case with Neal in the band.
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 02:57:39 PM »
It's a real shame when things like this happen - I must admit I haven't heard much post-Neal Spock's Beard.

It's about time for Neal to make a new solo album actually...

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 03:08:55 PM »
If the fans funded this latest record I don't see any reason why it couldn't happen again. Especially if this new album is really good, as a lot of people seem to think so.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 04:39:29 PM »
NDV was not in Europe because of CDS, as far as I know.
Al OWNS the company, as far as I know.

I really wanna see that interview to prove me wrong.

SB is among the thousands of prog bands who can't make a living out of their music. Sad indeed, but true. But that also was the case with Neal in the band.

I will try to get a hold of that interview, but in the end it doesn't matter that much, since all the information is kinda public and known.
Sure, Al might own the company, but fact of the matter is that their grand days are over. I saw them back in the day when they opened for Dream Theater in the Dortmunder Westfalenhalle, and that place holds 16,500 people and it was full. You can not possibly tell me that SB hasn't witnessed a precipitous drop in popularity since Neal has left. The last time they played in New England was like5 years ago in Lowell, MA, and since then they never managed to get gigs in this area at all.

rumborak

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 04:55:20 PM »
If you realy look at Prog bands in general these days most, at their best fill 4000 seat arena's.  Prog in the 70's were more mainstream helping them transition like Genesis and Rush. Todays prog bands don't have a chance in this music market.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 05:36:21 PM »
Kev kinda hit the nail on the head.  Retro-sounding prog has a very small audience nowadays, and SB weren't really going to get THAT big.  Neal's departure just killed the chances for them to get some kind of bigger cult following.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 11:37:15 PM »

Eh, there is no way that I believe that Neal "jumped ship smartly" because the style of music they were making was on its way out.  No way.  He made it perfectly clear why he left the band, and I absolutely believe that that is the reason why.  When you consider that he has continued to do the same type of music, but solo instead of with his old band, and incorporated religious lyrics into his music, I am not sure why anyone would think otherwise. ???

But then again, look at Genesis. They were in the same position when Gabriel left, but managed to reinvent themselves with a different style. The difference of course was that SB doesn't have a Phil Collins.

That, and Genesis was significantly more popular than Spock's Beard will ever be. 

Also, Genesis didn't even try to reinvent themselves until well after Peter Gabriel had left the band.  The real change in sound happened after Steve Hackett left two albums later.

Just saying...;)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 05:28:06 PM »
Spock's Beard DID have momentum when Neal left, but while they might have gotten as big as Marillion is currently in the US, they were at an age where they didn't want to be on the road for extended periods.

That, more than anything else, is why I think their success had a ceiling. The band made a choice back then to forego any long term touring plans that might have kicked their profile up to another level. It probably would not have lasted long anyway with music downloading immediately over the horizon.

The band did not want to be away from their families and somewhat secure day jobs (You can't really blame them for it) and they were lucky to break even when touring the US at that.

If they were younger and just starting out, I'm sure things would be a lot different. Spock's Beard is almost at the level of a hobby band at this point supported by handfuls of loyalists.

Since then, Neal has certainly made more of an attempt to stay on the road, but I think you'd still find Spock's Beard has been out almost as long (perhaps long is the wrong word to describe both Neal and his ex-band about time spent on the road since the split).

These days being on the road is where the real money is and you need a bigger profile than either have at this point to make a tour worthwhile.

Best case scenario for either these days (In the United States) is that you'd end up with tour about the size of the one Liquid Tension Experiment had in 2008.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 05:46:56 PM »
I'm hoping the band make at least one or two more albums, even in the same format as having fans pitch in. This time, I will totally buy the "Producer's Package". I really wish I had with X, but I had just spent a lot of money on other music (IIRC, the latter two Genesis box sets 70-75, and the Live Box).

I suppose they have become a bit of a "hobby band", as ytserush put it. It's a bit of a shame, they had such good momentum around the Day For Night era, but once Neal left, their momentum slowed down and then after the self-titled album, they just sort of petered out. I wouldn't mind seeing them (as a band, or solo with other projects) record just studio albums for the next decade, as long as they're as good as the last two albums, if not better!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 07:20:59 PM »
It probably would not have lasted long anyway with music downloading immediately over the horizon.

Of course not, because we're not forgetting how they funded their latest album.

OH WAIT

Offline darkshade

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 07:36:31 PM »
i dont know much about SB post Neal Morse, but this kind of reminds me of something ive always had in my head

it seems that it's much harder for a young band (or even 10-15 years old band) to find sucess, or popularity, when it seems like older bands keep grabbing the spotlight, and media does not focus on younger/less popular bands.

for example, everyone still talks about Metallica, AC/DC, Rolling Stones, Phish, Yes, Genesis, etc. all these bands have had their day in the sun and have millions upon millions of dollars. Yet all the underground metal, hard rock, rock, jam bands, prog rock, and prog/pop bands (respectively) have no shot when these 20-30+ year old bands still get lots of attention. those were just a few examples and im sure i could come up with more.

and it's not even bands or artists that are still around. Half the Beatles are dead, yet they have more sales this week than Spock's Beard's entire existence. Even jazz guys cant get anywhere with people still talking about Bird, Coltrane, Miles, Dizzy, etc... or the veterans like Herbie, Corea, Burton, etc... back in the 60s and 70s (im guessing, from whatever interviews/documentaries etc ive seen) this didnt happen because the times changed and lots of people didnt look back, in other words; the youth didnt care what their parents or grandparents liked, and wanted something new, so the media would jump on that. Nowadays it doesnt seem like that happens much, and you have to persevere to get some decent exposure (shit, look at Dream Theater)

i know not every band can make it, but i mean, the only new bands i know of that have a good level of mainstream success, arent very good IMO

sorry about the rant, i know it wasnt completely on topic, but take it as you will.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 02:31:34 AM »
Kev kinda hit the nail on the head.  Retro-sounding prog has a very small audience nowadays, and SB weren't really going to get THAT big.  Neal's departure just killed the chances for them to get some kind of bigger cult following.

Actually, I think this is true for most of the prog bands a lot of us here listen to, except for the somewhat-famous ones like Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree and Opeth. Simply put, prog-- whether retro or metal-- isn't very big. Most of the musicians in the genre hold down day jobs, I'd guess. Or have been doing it for so long that they no longer have to.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2010, 11:15:11 PM »
I'm hoping the band make at least one or two more albums, even in the same format as having fans pitch in. This time, I will totally buy the "Producer's Package". I really wish I had with X, but I had just spent a lot of money on other music (IIRC, the latter two Genesis box sets 70-75, and the Live Box).

I suppose they have become a bit of a "hobby band", as ytserush put it. It's a bit of a shame, they had such good momentum around the Day For Night era, but once Neal left, their momentum slowed down and then after the self-titled album, they just sort of petered out. I wouldn't mind seeing them (as a band, or solo with other projects) record just studio albums for the next decade, as long as they're as good as the last two albums, if not better!

-Marc.

Day For Night was the first time they "toured" the eastern U.S and they were signed to Metal Blade at that time.

Spock's Beard reached the high point for me when I saw them do their two shows at the Bottom Line in New York on the V Tour.

I saw them on the Feel Eurphoia Tour too and while the rest of the band put on a great show, I wasn't as moved as I would have been if Neil had been there.

That said, if I had the opportunity to see them for the self-titled tour. Things might have been different, because I really think they came together on that album (which is my favorite of their post-Neal work). 

It's very difficult to stand out in music these days...it's almost like entering a lottery if you even want to just make a living on it.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 08:29:52 AM »
Slighty OT: SB's tour drummer Jimmy Keegan is asking for some help:

November 3, 2010

From Jimmy Keegan -

I have a difficult request of the tremendous fans of Spock's Beard. My brother Dave and his wife Corrine are in an almost impossible situation. They are both suffering from cancer. Corrine from breast cancer and Dave from Multiple Myeloma (a type of bone cancer). They do have insurance but as I'm sure you are aware, when you get into large scale treatments, insurance only helps. The costs are already staggering and Dave is only just beginning his treatments. Compound that with the regular bills of life and you can see the impossible aspect of their situation. On top of this they are raising a son with autism which is a constant challenge.

I'm appealing to you for a little help. Even with my huge family we are still not able to cover the costs. We have set up a little fund so friends and extended family can help whenever and however possible. Some of you have already, and quite generously, helped out and my gratitude cannot be measured.

So if it is possible and in your means, click on this link ( https://bit.ly/93nOVP )and help however you can. It's through Paypal so you will need a Paypal account. $5 (or Euros or whatever), $10 or the change in your pocket. If there's nothing in your pocket, spread the word. I'm sure Dream Theater and Flower King fans are kind and generous as well. Quite simply, I am begging for the sake of my family.

Thank you, Jimmy

[X] Done.
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 09:43:07 AM »
Slighty OT: SB's tour drummer Jimmy Keegan is asking for some help:

November 3, 2010

From Jimmy Keegan -

I have a difficult request of the tremendous fans of Spock's Beard. My brother Dave and his wife Corrine are in an almost impossible situation. They are both suffering from cancer. Corrine from breast cancer and Dave from Multiple Myeloma (a type of bone cancer). They do have insurance but as I'm sure you are aware, when you get into large scale treatments, insurance only helps. The costs are already staggering and Dave is only just beginning his treatments. Compound that with the regular bills of life and you can see the impossible aspect of their situation. On top of this they are raising a son with autism which is a constant challenge.

I'm appealing to you for a little help. Even with my huge family we are still not able to cover the costs. We have set up a little fund so friends and extended family can help whenever and however possible. Some of you have already, and quite generously, helped out and my gratitude cannot be measured.

So if it is possible and in your means, click on this link ( https://bit.ly/93nOVP )and help however you can. It's through Paypal so you will need a Paypal account. $5 (or Euros or whatever), $10 or the change in your pocket. If there's nothing in your pocket, spread the word. I'm sure Dream Theater and Flower King fans are kind and generous as well. Quite simply, I am begging for the sake of my family.

Thank you, Jimmy

[X] Done.

Done.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2010, 09:59:59 AM »

Well said, and I agree.:tick2:
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi