4 (11.8%)
70-80
8 (23.5%)
80-90
3 (8.8%)
90-100
9 (26.5%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: How loud do you listen to music?  (Read 7695 times)

Offline Ħ

How loud do you listen to music?
« on: October 31, 2010, 03:02:30 AM »
If you're using an iPod, one % is roughly equivalent to 1 decibel.

I have heard that anything above 60 for more than an hour is dangerous to your hearing, but I still listen at very high levels.  If I have noise cancelling headphones on me, I'll be in the 80-90 range, but if they are the standard iPod headphones, I usually turn it up to max or close to max...terrible for me, I know.  :D

I just can't stand hearing anything else interrupting my music.  I'll usually be listening to music at the gym, or riding my bike, and gyms/traffic are quite noisy...
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
Re: How loud do you listen to music?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 03:14:15 AM »
70-80

Sometimes it bothers me if it's too loud, but that's not very often.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 03:23:02 AM »
Whatever 11 is.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Vahvahenki

• I now pronounce you husband and five... eight
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 03:27:59 AM »
A very interesting thread I must say, some time ago I heard a ringing noise because of an infection and that triggered me to really keep an eye on the volume of everything music. Right now I listen to my iPod at 0-10% with a pair of headphones that cover my ears completely.

The problem with hearing loss is, you'll regret it the moment you suffer from a condition. Before I had this infection I couldn't care less about protecting my hearing.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 03:28:30 AM »
No idea. Sometimes I'm in a loud mood and I crank it up. But most of my favourite genres are pretty quiet...(classical, ambient, experimental) so I'm guessing it evens out to around 50-60.
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline kala1928

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 04:45:48 AM »
Pretty quietly from speakers. I got a LOT of complaints from my neighbors when I first moved on my own and now I live with my spouse to-be so I'd rather be polite than crank it up every time. But still sometimes you just have to turn it up if the song or mood is really good :)
With headphones I usually listen quite loud. I've actually pondered about how many Db's the headphones actually produce since it feels soo loud often.
I also actually dislike people cranking up the volume in parties etc all the time. Like they couldn't hear the song if it was any silent. Most of the guys are musicians/avid music listeners though, so maybe they have already ruined their hearing and need to have it really loud to hear anything :) My spouse also likes to sing and usually has to put the volume really loud in order to do sing along. I dont mind a few songs of Blind Guardian but when its 10 Bon Jovis in a row really loud it gets on my nerve :)

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 05:07:19 AM »
No idea about decibels. I listen 95% on headphones, and it's overall quite loud as I want to feel the POWER and hear all the details and subtleties, but not so loud to feel painful/dizzying/something like that.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 05:15:07 AM »
10/16 of the volume bars on the iPhone, which I guess is about 50-60. With speakers I fairly frequently have them on full volume, but I don't know how loud that is. It probably isn't true, but I feel like I'm at way less danger to my hearing from having my massive speakers on full volume than my in ears on 70% or above.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 05:25:59 AM »
It depends where I am.

At home on my stereo I have it loud enough that everything is clear, but not too loud so as to annoy my family as that'd just be inconsiderate.

On my iPod, it depends. If I'm at work or somewhere quiet I have it quite low. If I'm walking along the street I have it a bit louder, and if I'm on a train I have it louder again as it's particularly noisy.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 05:36:20 AM »
If I want it loud I aim for loudness before high frequency fuzz/distortion. I only use my headphones (not tiny earphones). Want to keep my hearing. But most times I have it at a moderate level, and on Windows XP that is the Master and Wave controls around 25-30%. Sometimes less if there is more compression than usual. Windows Vista would be around 15-20.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 05:56:30 AM »
10/16 of the volume bars on the iPhone, which I guess is about 50-60. With speakers I fairly frequently have them on full volume, but I don't know how loud that is. It probably isn't true, but I feel like I'm at way less danger to my hearing from having my massive speakers on full volume than my in ears on 70% or above.
I haven't yet tried full volume on my amplifier but I bet something would blow up in consequence, my standard listening volume is around 1/3. :lol

Online ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 06:32:16 AM »
Loud enough so I can't hear myself sing.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 08:37:45 AM »
As loud as I feel appropriate. Some music only sounds good when blasted, and some music needs to be kept at a low volume to retain dynamic range.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 08:41:26 AM »
I have it about 50% of what my MP3 player can go. That is not loud at all but I have been to a lot of concerts with no protection of my ears and sometimes, I worry if that will ever bite me in my ass.

edit: I just checked. I listen to it at 10-15 depending on my mood and surroundings and that is anywhere between 33% to 50%.

I don't think that is loud at all.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 09:01:15 AM by 73109 »

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 08:55:55 AM »
As low of a setting as I can go and still hear it well.  On my iPod it tends to be about 25% or so at home and 50% at work (lots of loud air movement).

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2010, 09:01:41 AM »
I used to be all about 100 percent, but now I'm way more of whatever the lowest I can get away with is.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2010, 09:15:17 AM »
I'm often frustrated that my ipod isn't able to go loud enough.  If you've any experience with ipods you'd know how loud that is.  I've lost a lot of hearing from playing gigs and just generally blasting music.  And I'm only 15, I can imagine what it will be like when I'm older.  :-[

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2010, 09:24:50 AM »
I'm often frustrated that my ipod isn't able to go loud enough.  If you've any experience with ipods you'd know how loud that is.  I've lost a lot of hearing from playing gigs and just generally blasting music.  And I'm only 15, I can imagine what it will be like when I'm older.  :-[

Maybe you should start wearing earplugs? It seems that music is a pretty important part of your life, and I'd hate to see you lose it so young due to something completely preventable.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2010, 09:57:52 AM »
I only wear headphones when I'm out walking, and usually when I walk I listen to classical or jazz (occasionally old prog), so volume isn't very important to me.  At home on the weekends, I usually put on concert DVDs and I want concert volume in that case.  Since I keep it confined to polite hours, most people don't complain. 

Sadly, an old crippled fellow moved in behind me, and he's the sort to start pounding on the wall pretty quickly.  I'll probably be moving pretty soon.  Since he's old, I suspect he's going to run out the clock in that apartment, and due to the old/crippled qualities, I don't think management will be to accommodating to my concerns over his. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 10:14:48 AM »
I listen on my laptop at about 75%.

Offline Rafael Guerra

• DTF.org member
  • Personal Text.
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2010, 10:26:59 AM »
On my macbook, 50% is already good, but in the ipod if it's not AT LEAST 70%, i just can't listen to the bass or keyboards in certain songs.
Crossing bridges in the sky.

Offline TL

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2010, 01:02:49 PM »
When listening to headphones, usually between 6-10 out of 100 on my laptop, and usually 2-3 out of 20 on my Zune (up to 5 for songs recorded at a lower volume).

On my stereo, it's usually not above 10-15%, but with the volume I get with that, I can't imagine going much higher.

A friend of mine has a super high end stereo setup, where if you turned it up half way, it would probably deafen you, and in theory it would actually take out the windows before you hit 100. It makes for amazing sound at the lower levels though.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2010, 01:07:02 PM »
At home, not too loud. In the car...well...let's just say....:2metal:
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2010, 01:31:16 PM »

This. Fuck yeah

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2010, 01:34:16 PM »
However loud it needs to be to hear it clearly. I haven't really thought about it.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2010, 02:14:25 PM »
I generally have the volume up roughly 3/4 as high as it can go.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2010, 02:38:51 PM »
80-90
I either have it pumped up to max to cancel stuff out or to drum to.
Or, I have it around the middle range just when I'm walking around and I dont want to wreck my ears (too late, I know...)
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline TL

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2010, 07:07:45 PM »
Man, I love my car stereo. Not only does it sound quite good by car stereo standards, but it actually adjusts the volume of the music relative to how fast you're going. So it's not too quiet when you get on the highway, or too loud when you get back in town.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2010, 07:35:13 PM »
I try too keep as low as I can.  In my car it's a bit louder than at home.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2010, 07:55:50 PM »
Man, I love my car stereo. Not only does it sound quite good by car stereo standards, but it actually adjusts the volume of the music relative to how fast you're going. So it's not too quiet when you get on the highway, or too loud when you get back in town.
That's sweet! :metal

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2010, 08:03:33 PM »
My car actually does that. Though, it's fucking annoying with albums like Ki that have such a wide dynamic range.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2010, 08:06:50 PM »
Going by the percentage thing, 31%, or 5 bars, on my laptop with headphones and anywhere from 25% to 75% on my iPod with ear canals.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
I'm not quite sure of the decibels, but I only listen to music in two ways.

Fairly nice computer speakers: about 60%

Car: around 70% volume

I don't really like headphones.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2010, 09:04:57 PM »
Depends. Right now I'm playing my record of "Their Satanic Majesties Request" on vinyl at about 34. Earlier, I was blasting Deadwing on about 65.

And when I'm listening to MP3 players its almost always somewhere between 80-100.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2010, 09:09:12 PM »
80-90 most of the time. I hate to hear other sounds when I listen to music.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.