Author Topic: A few observations/thoughts I am having  (Read 2236 times)

Offline Jarlaxle

A few observations/thoughts I am having
« on: October 29, 2010, 11:53:55 AM »
So here I am listening to BC&SL and I've noticed or realised a few things, not just about this disc, but DT in general.

1)This disc kicks ass. Its solid from start to finish and even though the lyrics get a lot of abuse on here, I think they fit the songs really well; which leads me to my next point.

2) It seems to me that when JP is writing lyrics about something that is not a past experience in his life, the lyrics are much better(just in recent releases). I really like the lyrics to A Rite of Passage. Maybe this just pertains to topics that needs a little bit of research to be done, but just something I noticed.

3) Every DT fan has noticed the recent lack of enthuisiasm from JMX, because his bass lines are average at best when they used to be world class. Now we've all suspected that it may be because of MP, and with his departure maybe he will pick it back up again. But let's just say it is just JMX being more reserved,what do you think he thinks when he has to play songs with awesome bass lines such as Learning To Live, Metropolis and Trial of Tears? Do you think he dreads playing them because he doesn't want to "show off?"

4) Also, the last 2 releases, and one could even argue about Octavarium to an certain extent have been less proggy, more metal (moreso SC and BC&SL) and more straight-forward compared to their early stuff. Maybe DT is consciously trying to write "easier" songs so 10-15 years down the road they will still be able to tour for us fans without borderline dying from playing ridiculous sets like they would have 5-10 years ago. Maybe it could be an effort to prolong their career, becuase let's face it, 60 year olds most likely won't be able to play lots of their older stuff on a regular basis. This could also tie into my point about JMX, but who knows?

Anyways, there it is. Thoughts DTF?

Offline Vivace

Re: A few observations/thoughts I am having
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 12:54:30 PM »
JMX sleeps with his Bass so the idea that he is writing stuff that is easier doesn't fly. Also A Rite of Passage is a bass driven song and I'm willing to guess the song itself was developed from a jam with Myung playing that bass line so I don't think he's holding back at all.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 01:06:30 PM »
Eh, I definitely agree with "The disc kicks ass" but not sure about the others. My first thoughts upon listening to SC were "DT are prog again" and, honestly, I still think that while SC is not as good as 8va it was definitely "the band taking a step backward before they could take one forward.”

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 01:37:01 PM »
I don't mean that SC isn't prog, it is, but compared to their older stuff its not so much. Also, the JMX thing, I don't think he's holding back on purpose, maybe just as he gets older he's getting mor reserved.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 12:30:45 AM »
1)  Like someone else brought up some time ago, something that it missing on the album is the use of silence.  It is constantly filled with noise, even with Wither--not very many subtilties.

2)  I disagree.  I much prefer the early DT lyrics (even ignoring KM).

3)  Honestly, I think the production just made this a "noisy" album, so JMX gets lost in the mud.

4)  I disagree with the songs being easier.  If anything, they are much more technical.  Yet, I do agree that the songs lack a degree of depth, unlike, say, Lines in the Sand.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 11:19:46 PM »
I really like the lyrics to A Rite of Passage.
Why?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 11:54:08 AM »
I don't know why, they just really fit the song. Granted, it's definitely not one of JP's best lyrical contributions, not even close, but I like the lyrics.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 12:19:01 PM »
They aren't really lyrics.  They don't go anywhere, they are just a list of obscure references.  They aren't pro-Freemasonry or anti-Freemasonry.  They are just references.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 12:55:55 PM »
I feel like the lyrics to Wither tell exactly what JP is dealing with. Writer's block. Hes just been having a hard time coming up with lyrics lately.

I kind of like the lyrics to Wither, but everything else on Black Clouds sucks in terms of lyrics that JP wrote. Although the "beautiful agony" section has some really good lyrics.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 04:15:16 PM »
ANTR has some really good lyrical moments but some weak ones as well. Wither is really lovely lyrically; straightforward but beautiful. The other two fit the songs fine and are adequate, but nothing more than that really.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline pmahoney1337

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 06:05:32 PM »
I feel like the lyrics to Wither tell exactly what JP is dealing with. Writer's block. Hes just been having a hard time coming up with lyrics lately.

I kind of like the lyrics to Wither, but everything else on Black Clouds sucks in terms of lyrics that JP wrote. Although the "beautiful agony" section has some really good lyrics.
Maybe JP wrote Wither cause he realized he needed an excuse for all the other lyrics he wrote on the album. Just a wild observation that I don't even believe.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 06:07:32 PM »

Maybe JP wrote Wither cause he realized he needed an excuse for all the other lyrics he wrote on the album. Just a wild observation that I don't even believe.
:lol

But I do like Wither's lyrics....the whole "water into wine" part is briliant.  And "drown in hesitation."
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 06:45:22 PM »
OMG DIDN'T SOMEBODY ALREADY SAY WATER INTO WINE? PETRUCCI IS SUCH A COPIER!  :facepalm:

/derailing of my own thread

Offline Ħ

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 07:25:51 PM »
:slowclap: