Author Topic: Steel Panther (Don't know SP? Watch the Trailer in reply #71, thank me later)  (Read 55058 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
I'm just glad I got to see even the abbreciated set at M3 last year.  I'm really digging the hell outta this new album.  Some pretty heavy stuff.  PLTITEOTW and TBOBW are two of the most lightweight songs on the album.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
I liked Feel the Steel a lot but was disappointed by Balls out. Is this a step up again?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Tough call. Depends on the person, I guess. On first listen I'm really digging the album.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I'm just glad I got to see even the abbreciated set at M3 last year.  I'm really digging the hell outta this new album.  Some pretty heavy stuff.  PLTITEOTW and TBOBW are two of the most lightweight songs on the album.

That's good to hear. I didn't mind those songs, but I was hoping they wouldn't lose the heaviness.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
I can't wait to buy this tomorrow  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Got a copy of it yesterday. It has a few good songs, but not as good the last album, which wasn't as good as the one before that. Luckily Cozmo was right that the two singles were the lightest songs on the album.

Favourites would be Gloryhole, and Gangbang at the Old Folks Home. Bukakke Tears and Ten Strikes You're Out are also among the better tracks.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuJyzgpEaS0

This Week In Music.  Satchel rants on Pearl Jam.  Bonus points for a great Eddie Vedder impression around 1:14.  NSFW

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
You can tell that's an older episode, because they're actually discussing what's new in music. :lol I think it's the most recent one they're talking about Shakira O'Neal the basketball player's latest album.
Everything those guys say is gold.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
I've been going back and listening to the old ones.  Good stuff.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Just had my first listen to the new album.....to me it's a good , typical SP album........good music, humourous lyrics and very clever in parts but it's also a step backward in all departments from Balls Out.   The production on most songs is more raw , the songs are for the most part more basic (sounds like less thought/effort) , a lot of the humour isn't quite as clever and there's nothing as immediately catchy as Tiger Woods or Tomorrow Night.

Faves: Bukkake Tears and The Burden of Being Wonderful

Don't get me wrong - very good album , just not as good as what came before and I think after 3 albums of the same sorta stuff the joke is juuuuuuuust starting to wear the tiniest bit thin.  I'd like to see them do something a little different on the next album .
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Okay, so here's something I happened to notice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN2tceUC40E

Demolicious #6.  They review a song called I Feel Nothing, by a band called Reaper.  The guitarist for that band is Mario Consolo, who's married to Cecilia, one of our members.

Small world.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Just had my first listen to the new album.....to me it's a good , typical SP album........good music, humourous lyrics and very clever in parts but it's also a step backward in all departments from Balls Out.   The production on most songs is more raw , the songs are for the most part more basic (sounds like less thought/effort) , a lot of the humour isn't quite as clever and there's nothing as immediately catchy as Tiger Woods or Tomorrow Night.

Faves: Bukkake Tears and The Burden of Being Wonderful

Don't get me wrong - very good album , just not as good as what came before and I think after 3 albums of the same sorta stuff the joke is juuuuuuuust starting to wear the tiniest bit thin.  I'd like to see them do something a little different on the next album .

I agree.
I do actually prefer the slightly more raw production over the overcompressed sound of the last album, although it could be a bit more consistent in sound.

Okay, so here's something I happened to notice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN2tceUC40E

Demolicious #6.  They review a song called I Feel Nothing, by a band called Reaper.  The guitarist for that band is Mario Consolo, who's married to Cecilia, one of our members.

Small world.

In one of the other episodes, they reviewed a song by a guy I know.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
I'm on my first listen through at work.

Glory Hole is fantastic.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
I can't stop hearing Hysteria while listening to The Burden of Being Wonderful  :lol :lol

Great guitar solo in this one as well.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
So, how'd you like the rest of it?

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
So, how'd you like the rest of it?

I'm listening to it for the 4th time now. Glory Hole is easily my favorite, especially at 2:20. That song ends really strong as well. Bukkake Tears might be my second favorite so far. The intro to Pussywhipped is their best intro yet (both album and song), but the rest of the song lacks a bit. I'd say Ten Strikes Your Out and B.V.S are tied for my least favorite tracks. Overall, this album is exactly what I expected. I like it. I'll give it a solid 7.95/10.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Bitchin'.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
The intro to Pussywhipped is their best intro yet (both album and song)...

Agreed. It's shamelessly stolen from Metallica's "Battery", but SP usually produce their best material by ripping off other bands  :yarr

If anything, they should steal more.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
The intro to Pussywhipped is their best intro yet (both album and song)...

Agreed. It's shamelessly stolen from Metallica's "Battery", but SP usually produce their best material by ripping off other bands  :yarr

If anything, they should steal more.

I hear no similarity to Battery at all aside from being an acoustic intro to a heavy song. Never made a connection there.
But I agree their best stuff is usually the more clearly derivative stuff, such as Fat Girl, Eatin' Ain't Cheatin' and Party All Day; basically the first album. On the latest album, it feels more like common metal music with funny lyrics.

That said, there are some good songs on here, and I had Gloryhole stuck in my head when I woke up just now. I'm not sure what to make of that. :lol Maybe my day is planned?

Offline ronnibran

I'm hooked on the new album.  I recently discovered the band.  I wanted to buy an album a while back, so I listened to both their albums on youtube.  I ended up getting Balls Out.  I'm finding I like the new album quite a bit better.  Gloryhole, Bukkake Tears, the list goes on and on.  So many good songs.

Liked it so much I just bought Feel the Steel.  I listened to it once, so I know I like it.  Looking forward to some more listens while at work tomorrow.  Man, people see me with my headphones on laughing.  If they only knew...

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
+1 on that.

I bet I've listened to this album at least 20 times by now. The only song I really don't like is Ten Strikes You're Out.

Glory Hole is officially my favorite SP song.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
I really wanted to direct some from the "Women's Forsaken Shirt" thread to this thread and tell them what champions of feminism the band are.  I would specifically tell them that "Turn Out The Lights" would be the place to start, as it deals with the norms of female insecurity in an intimate relationship.

I didn't think anyone would buy it, though.  :lol

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
I really wanted to direct some from the "Women's Forsaken Shirt" thread to this thread and tell them what champions of feminism the band are.  I would specifically tell them that "Turn Out The Lights" would be the place to start, as it deals with the norms of female insecurity in an intimate relationship.

I didn't think anyone would buy it, though.  :lol

Don't forget the encouraging words of "Stripper Girl", "Fat Girl" and "Girl From Oklahoma"

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Exactly.  Detailing the plight of everyday women forced into less than optimal circumstances to survive in a male-centric world.

Also, if you guys aren't following them on Twitter, you totally should, especially Stix.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Check out the official Aussie album charts this week  :o ..............you won't have to read down too far.  Take out compilations/best ofs and they've done it!

https://www.ariacharts.com.au/chart/albums
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 07:57:11 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran

:metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline Lowdz

Steel Panther chart higher than the likes of Shakira? When can I emigrate?

Just hoover up all the snakes and spiders and I'm there!  :biggrin:

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Music video is up for Gloryhole. I'm not even posting a link, but it goes without say that it's very NSFW. :lol

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
I find the thing that stands between me and my enjoyment of steel panther is that I can't listen to the songs properly cos I'm too busy pissing myself with laughter
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Music video is up for Gloryhole. I'm not even posting a link, but it goes without say that it's very NSFW. :lol
Me during the first half of the clip: "Hahaha, it could have been worse though!" :lol
Second half:  :| :eek :facepalm:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I find the thing that stands between me and my enjoyment of steel panther is that I can't listen to the songs properly cos I'm too busy pissing myself with laughter

Laughing is what I would consider enjoyment. That's the intention! :lol

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?

haha yeah, but I have to listen to each song like a million times cos I miss 90% of the lyrics each time around cos I'm laughing so much
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

haha yeah, but I have to listen to each song like a million times cos I miss 90% of the lyrics each time around cos I'm laughing so much

Ok, I can see how that might get in the way! I find them funny, but not quite that funny. :lol