Author Topic: TDoL's Top 21 Bands/Artists and Other Kewl Stuff  (Read 37564 times)

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline True Death of Life

• The hair, the legend
Re: TDoL's Top 21 Bands/Artists and Other Kewl Stuff
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2010, 09:19:59 PM »
 :'(

(Well, I guess you're okay, lat, with MA and all. BUT STILL:*DISLIKE*)

lolmachinehead

lolyou

And Fuckin' A! I remember I showed you Aesthetics of Hate, Halo, and Davidian, the very day after I saw Machine Head open for Metallica, so that was January 18th, 2008. You hated them! :lol :P

edit: birch said it better

No, I just didn't think they were anything to get all  :o :metal  :heart over.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2010, 09:37:15 PM »

• The hair, the legend

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2010, 09:55:36 PM »

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2010, 10:38:02 PM »
Well, Machine Head definitely makes up for Slayer.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2010, 10:49:36 PM »
lolmachinehead
Well, they don't sound like shit, no wonder you don't like them.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2010, 11:26:44 PM »
Machine Head is pretty decent. I love The Blackening.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2010, 05:22:41 AM »
THIS IS OUR CALL TO ARMS
WILL YOU STAND BESIDE ME

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2010, 06:57:07 AM »
lolmachinehead

Wow, I would never expect that coming from you.

Fix'd?
Nope, I was genuinely surprised at his distaste for an awesome metal band.
They bore me. I guess they aren't bad, but I never understood the hype.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2010, 07:03:11 AM »
THIS IS OUR CALL TO ARMS
WILL YOU STAND BESIDE ME
*awesome guitar riff*
THIS IS OUR TIME TO FIGHT
NO MORE COMPROMISING
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2010, 07:06:36 AM »
Machine Head is pretty decent. I love The Blackening.

I agree with this.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #83 on: November 04, 2010, 07:32:16 AM »
Yes, with him liking Slayer and such.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2010, 08:22:58 AM »
lolmachinehead
Well, they sound like shit, no wonder you don't like them.

Fix'd

Also nice job using the actual tard code :neverusethis:
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2010, 03:29:35 PM »
Settle down children. LOLSLAYER

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: November 04, 2010, 03:40:30 PM »
Slayer > Machine Head

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #87 on: November 04, 2010, 03:46:16 PM »

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2010, 08:08:47 PM »
10. Pantera-I swear, I’ve been listening to this band for a while now and I still find myself openmouthed, iPod in hand, with their album “The Great Southern Trendkill” playing.

Pantera is one of the heaviest, most brutal bands that I can enjoy at all times. Phil Anselmo’s barks and screeches are earth-shaking, and when he actually sings, I actually tear up (Cemetery Gates, anyone?).

I know many people feel that “Cowboys From Hell” was their only good album (and these people have obviously never listened to “The Great Southern Trendkill”) but really, this band is full of some of the most vicious, mindblowing riffs I have ever heard. They are a lot like Machine Head for me, but they take it a step further with a cleverness and grasp on the genre that I’ve never heard done again.

Pantera scratches out emotions in me that no other band can; a feeling of reassurance but, at the same time, a feeling of “okay-hello-life-I’m-gonna-kick-your-ass.” Not sure that made much sense, but I really have trouble describing what this band does for me. With Pantera, it goes beyond the amazing music.

9. Yes- YES! PROG NERDS FTW! “Fragile” is one of my favorite albums of all time. From hits like “Roundabout,” “Changes,” and “Owner of a Lonely Heart,” to songs that deserve more recognition such as “South Side of the Sky,” “Heart of the Sunrise,” and “And You and I,” Yes hits all the parts of me that go “YES!” (I didn’t realize that was a pun until I typed it. Sorry.)

Although lyrics mean a lot to me, Yes’ lyrics really make no sense. Which happens to be just dandy, however, because the musicianship makes up for it. :D I cannot get enough of their solos or drumming…especially the drumming. No wait; especially the bass lines. (See what I mean?) Oh, Yes’ bass lines…the ones in “Roundabout” and “Heart of the Sunrise” are some of the most amazing bass lines I’ve ever heard. When I was 10 and my Dad gave me “Fragile,” I actually wanted to be Chris Squire. I still know most of the bass lines from that album by heart.  :heart

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2010, 08:11:08 PM »
9. Yes- YES! PROG NERDS FTW! “Fragile” is one of my favorite albums of all time. From hits like “Roundabout,” “Changes,” and “Owner of a Lonely Heart,” to songs that deserve more recognition such as “South Side of the Sky,” “Heart of the Sunrise,” and “And You and I,” Yes hits all the parts of me that go “YES!” (I didn’t realize that was a pun until I typed it. Sorry.)

Although lyrics mean a lot to me, Yes’ lyrics really make no sense. Which happens to be just dandy, however, because the musicianship makes up for it. :D I cannot get enough of their solos or drumming…especially the drumming. No wait; especially the bass lines. (See what I mean?) Oh, Yes’ bass lines…the ones in “Roundabout” and “Heart of the Sunrise” are some of the most amazing bass lines I’ve ever heard. When I was 10 and my Dad gave me “Fragile,” I actually wanted to be Chris Squire. I still know most of the bass lines from that album by heart.  :heart

YESSSSSS!

o/

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2010, 08:12:40 PM »

YESSSSSS!

o/
INTERCEPTED
*o\

Yes totally makes up for Hicktera :p

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2010, 08:15:06 PM »
  :)  :)  :)  :)

Here's one for you anyway, Mike: *\o

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2010, 08:16:54 PM »
INTERCEPTED
*o\

What kind of high five is that?

Anyways, YES!
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2010, 08:18:15 PM »
INTERCEPTED
*o\

Anyways, YES!
I fudged it up, sue me!  :biggrin:

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2010, 08:28:35 PM »
Yes is probably my favorite classic prog band, tied with Floyd.  The Yes Album is my favorite.  Never gets talked about much.  Great band, and I second the love for Chris Squire's basslines.  Steve Howe is a great guitar player as well, especially the softer stuff.

Offline jsem

« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2010, 03:56:00 AM »
YES! Finally another one that considers fragile their best album! EPIC CHOICE

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2010, 03:58:16 AM »
Fragile is my favourite too. I love the basslines in Roundabout - I want a Rickenbacker bass DAMMIT!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2010, 05:08:53 AM »
INTERCEPTED
*o\

Anyways, YES!

I fudged it up, sue me!  :biggrin:

You did the same thing in the SC chaos survivor when you high-fived me for liking New Millennium.  Hmmmm.....
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #98 on: November 05, 2010, 03:11:39 PM »

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: November 05, 2010, 07:41:49 PM »
10. Pantera-I swear, I’ve been listening to this band for a while now and I still find myself openmouthed, iPod in hand, with their album “The Great Southern Trendkill” playing.

Pantera is one of the heaviest, most brutal bands that I can enjoy at all times. Phil Anselmo’s barks and screeches are earth-shaking, and when he actually sings, I actually tear up (Cemetery Gates, anyone?).

I know many people feel that “Cowboys From Hell” was their only good album (and these people have obviously never listened to “The Great Southern Trendkill”) but really, this band is full of some of the most vicious, mindblowing riffs I have ever heard. They are a lot like Machine Head for me, but they take it a step further with a cleverness and grasp on the genre that I’ve never heard done again.

Pantera scratches out emotions in me that no other band can; a feeling of reassurance but, at the same time, a feeling of “okay-hello-life-I’m-gonna-kick-your-ass.” Not sure that made much sense, but I really have trouble describing what this band does for me. With Pantera, it goes beyond the amazing music.

Adore both bands. :)

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #100 on: November 07, 2010, 02:16:46 PM »
8. Shinedown-I'm expecting shit for this one, but I'm being as truthful as I can. A "mainstream" band they may be, this band just keeps getting better and better with each album. Even though they only have 3 albums, it's incredible to see how many of them are original and creative, and a huge amount appealing to the public.

However, some of the best Shinedown songs are the ones that are overlooked. Sure, Second Chance is fine, but Lady So Divine, Beyond the Sun, and All I Ever Wanted are 10x better; it's a shame that not many people know/appreciate these because, with the illegal downloading/iTunes/etc., many people just buy the hits.

The musicianship is mediocre; nothing special, but It's enjoyable. Actually, Brent Smith's voice isn't mediocre at all; it's one of the best rock voices I've ever heard (if you don't beleive me, listen to their cover of Lynyrd Skynyrd's Simple Man).  

I'm always in the mood to listen to their music and can't wait for their next album; I hope they go with the same pattern of getting better and better with each one!

7. Megadeth-Props to Cole and UMH to getting me into this band! (Although my grudge against Dave Mustaine has only lessened a LITTLE.) They remind me a bit of Metallica, but with funnier (a.k.a. extremely blunt) lyrics and better drumming.  

I hate to admit it, but Mustiane is so...badass. His singing voice isn't remarkable at all, but his snarls and overall, subdued viciousness sends chills up my spine. Not to mention his musicianship is A+++.

Megadeth is an incredible thrash metal band (and oh, how I love thrash), but has something that other thrash metal bands that I've looked into don't: a few tablespoons of creepiness. Creepy, shivery music is one type that I've always loved. However, Mercyful Fate/King Diamond just isn't  :metal enough for me...so when I "discovered" Megadeth, I actually remember thinking, "THIS IS WHAT I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR."

Thanks again UMH and Cole!  :heart
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 02:26:31 PM by True Death of Life »

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2010, 02:20:12 PM »
Whadya mean I don't believe in God?

TALK TO HIM EVERYDAY

You just made me want to listen to some Megadeth.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2010, 02:22:26 PM »
Good to see Megadeth get some respect.  I don't understand when you say their lyrics are less meaningful.  I think they're probably just as meaningful, maybe just delivered in a cleverererer way.

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #103 on: November 07, 2010, 02:25:49 PM »
I'm sorry, I fudged up my words. Editing now. What I mean is that they are so incredibly blunt. Their lyrics are like Slayer's but with meaning.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #104 on: November 07, 2010, 02:35:15 PM »
Megadeth  :metal