23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1055594 times)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.
« Reply #4865 on: April 27, 2011, 10:12:25 AM »
Episode 2 seems to indicate (from JM of all people) that it is now down to Mangini, Minnemann, and Priester or Wildoer.

Maybe we should update the poll? Keep this in real time with the doc?
I'm tempted - unless anyone suspects there might be a shock twist?

(Love that Priester's in the Final Four, btw. After people threw tonnes of scorn at the notion of him even auditioning.)

EDIT: Who keeps removing the "change vote" option?

I don't see a shock twist. I dunno :lol

Also, DT are looking for guys who can play their stuff and make them feel comfortable. In the first episode, Mike added his little flares to the 3 DT songs, but JR said he made them feel comfortable with it. Perhaps with Lang or others who twisted MP's parts too much, maybe they felt it wasn't right.

They said they've played these songs thousands of times, so they may notice those little nuances more because they are the ones playing it, and can "feel" the musicality change...and maybe too much change is just not their preference because they want someone to keep that DT feel on the drums.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4866 on: April 27, 2011, 10:27:42 AM »
Yeah, there's a difference between adding some personality and different accents to a song vs. playing the song differently.  IMO, the former is desireable while the latter is not. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4867 on: April 27, 2011, 10:32:24 AM »
I'm just happy that I've been voting for Marco this entire time, and it seems like his odds are pretty good.  (I am basing this off that I don't trust any information anymore unless its coming straight from DTs "mouth".  Not trusting FB comments or rumors etc etc)
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #4868 on: April 27, 2011, 10:40:41 AM »
Marco Minnemann was amazing. He clearly nailed pretty much everything. Donati looked really off unfortunately, though he seems like a cool guy.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 11:06:15 AM by Metabog »

Offline Nuance

« Reply #4869 on: April 27, 2011, 12:21:52 PM »
Marco Minnemann was amazing. He clearly nailed pretty much everything. Donati looked really off unfortunately, though he seems like a cool guy.

^ This.  Marco is my #1 choice at so far, although I think it will be Mangini, as has already been speculated. 

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4870 on: April 27, 2011, 01:19:02 PM »
Yeah, there's a difference between adding some personality and different accents to a song vs. playing the song differently.  IMO, the former is desireable while the latter is not.  

Something I just thought of, it could be something as subtle as the drummer playing either slightly ahead of or behind the beat. MP usually played ahead (I think?) and Bonham is an example of someone who really laid it back. The DT guys could probably feel it if that was the case during the auditions.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4871 on: April 27, 2011, 01:24:58 PM »
Marco was so great in the video. I think DT may have gone with Mangini because he really wants to be in the band, and Marco said it would be nice but didn't really seem to want it that much.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4872 on: April 27, 2011, 01:27:25 PM »
Marco was so great in the video. I think DT may have gone with Mangini because he really wants to be in the band, and Marco said it would be nice but didn't really seem to want it that much.

Honestly, I think it's because Marco would change the public "feel" of the band quite a bit, whereas Mike will transmit a similar "feel" to MP. Drumming-wise they seem very much on par with each other.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline russellmania

« Reply #4873 on: April 27, 2011, 01:37:23 PM »
I'm kind of rooting for Aquiles Priester right now.  Was just watching videos of him and he's really something.  I think he's the guy that they seemed to be really surprised by in the preview. 

You could argue that one thing about bringing in a guy like him is that a lot of the other guys are already established names, which could be a bit of a distraction from the band.  I just like his style too.  In his youtube videos he's playing insane stuff but just looks super calm and relaxed the whole time.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #4874 on: April 27, 2011, 02:12:22 PM »
Really? Priester? The first image I saw of him, I believe it was in the trailer, was him 'hitting' a crash. He was just pushing it so hard that it also hit the two crashes below. Come on man, I'm not that fond of having a 'perfect' technique, but that is really a bridge too far IMO.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #4875 on: April 27, 2011, 06:22:06 PM »
Marco said it would be nice but didn't really seem to want it that much.
I think what might come off as "not wanting it that much" is simply the players understanding the reality that there's a good chance someone else would get the gig and so they don't want to get their heart set on being in the band and then have it crushed.

On the other hand, that should be tempered by putting in a good effort, otherwise you might end up with what Derek did for his audition. Don't get me wrong, he's a great drummer and all, but he was clearly not prepared and not particularly into this. (edit: err I mean, he more had problems with the 2nd part with the "jam" and wasn't that into being in the band)

Yeah, there's a difference between adding some personality and different accents to a song vs. playing the song differently.  IMO, the former is desireable while the latter is not. 
I was kind of referring to how James said wrt to Thomas' playing that he loved him interpreting it and adding his own flare. And then later when JP just mentioned that it was interpreted quite a bit, JR commented that the fans wouldn't like it (which to me is saying he didn't like it).

And I think some of it could be that someone like JP and James might be more ok with interpretation because they're used to having lineup changes with people doing exactly that, whereas JR might feel a little less open to that done on a song he helped write. But in some way, since JR himself has done his own live interpretations at various points, it just made it ironic to me.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 06:37:06 PM by slycordinator »

Offline liquidtension

« Reply #4876 on: April 28, 2011, 12:00:40 AM »
One thing I've thought - and forgive it has been said already - is that a drummer is like the live band's metronome.  He has to be consistent with the beat for the others to fill their required parts.  If a drummer decides to embellish by adding or subtracting, it throws off the entire song's rhythm (literally). 

That is how I interpret JR's comment about how they play the songs every night and what needs to be expected of the drummer.
He has no enemies; and none of his friends like him.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4877 on: April 28, 2011, 02:56:01 AM »
I was kind of referring to how James said wrt to Thomas' playing that he loved him interpreting it and adding his own flare. And then later when JP just mentioned that it was interpreted quite a bit, JR commented that the fans wouldn't like it (which to me is saying he didn't like it).

And I think some of it could be that someone like JP and James might be more ok with interpretation because they're used to having lineup changes with people doing exactly that, whereas JR might feel a little less open to that done on a song he helped write. But in some way, since JR himself has done his own live interpretations at various points, it just made it ironic to me.
How do people still not get it? Clearly they don't mind the drummers adding their own personality because the MMs did it and were praised for it.

Also, James' comment about liking the interpretations was mainly in relation to the jam, rather than the existing songs.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #4878 on: April 28, 2011, 05:36:52 AM »
While I am still praying that Marco gets the position, whilst being contempt with the idea that it is most likely Mangini, I am still not ruling out Priester. My initial thoughts after sifting through a couple of his videos was that he is way too (strictly) power-metal for DT. But after giving him another chance, there is something about his solid playing and style that would fit quite well in the band. A style that is very Portnoy like, too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8ATHpb1f_g
I guess we will know in time. Whoever it is, its been so awesome seeing these amazing drummers playing with the DT guys. It only sank in yesterday that I was actually witnessing Minnemann playing the spirit carries on. So amazing.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #4879 on: April 28, 2011, 08:44:48 AM »
Voted Marco since day one of the previous bets thread. But I would be shocked if it wasn't mangini. But if we get a LTE with Marco then all will be well

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #4880 on: April 28, 2011, 11:37:56 AM »
How do people still not get it?
How do people think that questions like this help the conversation?

Clearly they don't mind the drummers adding their own personality because the MMs did it and were praised for it.
I guess I'll have to agree to disagree. It felt to me that they were complaining about what in another instance they would praise.

Now don't get me wrong, how much a person's personality "gels" with everyone obviously is going to cloud how much the potential complaints make them getting annoyed and such. I mean, as talented as he is I found Lang to be dull and not as into it, although he indicated that he was digging it which I guess just goes to his personality in general, whereas MM and Marco were both visibly interested and interacting... which could override any other qualms the band has.

Also, James' comment about liking the interpretations was mainly in relation to the jam, rather than the existing songs.
I swear he was referring to both, but watching it again I do see he said that it was especially referring to the jam.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #4881 on: April 28, 2011, 12:25:59 PM »
While I am still praying that Marco gets the position, whilst being contempt with the idea that it is most likely Mangini, I am still not ruling out Priester. My initial thoughts after sifting through a couple of his videos was that he is way too (strictly) power-metal for DT. But after giving him another chance, there is something about his solid playing and style that would fit quite well in the band. A style that is very Portnoy like, too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8ATHpb1f_g
I guess we will know in time. Whoever it is, its been so awesome seeing these amazing drummers playing with the DT guys. It only sank in yesterday that I was actually witnessing Minnemann playing the spirit carries on. So amazing.

Fuck me, that was some serious drumming.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4882 on: April 28, 2011, 02:02:40 PM »
Well I think I know why Bosk has been against Priester this whole time.  Bosk knows he got the job and he's throwing us all off the trail!
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4883 on: April 28, 2011, 02:08:10 PM »
Maybe...  I can tell you one thing for sure:  Come Friday, a LOT of people are going to be very surprised.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4884 on: April 28, 2011, 02:13:09 PM »
Hmm well to me that sounds like you know that the guy it definitely is not is Mangini considering pretty much everyone believes it to be him.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #4885 on: April 28, 2011, 02:17:02 PM »
It's to obvious to be Mangini. First on audition, all DT members are satisfied with him(Myung, too), he looks like old DT member...
No, it's not Mangini.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4886 on: April 28, 2011, 02:17:59 PM »
Hmm well to me that sounds like you know that the guy it definitely is not is Mangini considering pretty much everyone believes it to be him.

Either that or he is planning to pull a new Rebecca Black Firday theme  :P

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4887 on: April 28, 2011, 02:18:55 PM »

Either that or he is planning to pull a new Rebecca Black Firday theme  :P

Oh you're right.  I forgot Bosk's mystic ways there for a second. I just assumed he was talking about drummers. 

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #4888 on: April 28, 2011, 03:39:18 PM »
This is getting quite juicy!  ;D Oh shit, tomorrows Friday!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4889 on: April 28, 2011, 03:40:58 PM »
Fun!  Fun!  Fun!  Fun!

:friday:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4890 on: April 28, 2011, 03:44:17 PM »
Fun!  Fun!  Fun!  Fun!

:friday:

*Best Darth Vadar voice*  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline commanderbob

« Reply #4891 on: April 28, 2011, 03:49:56 PM »
Well I think I know why Bosk has been against Priester this whole time.  Bosk knows he got the job and he's throwing us all off the trail!

......except Bosky-Bosk has said over and over lately that all he knows (or has reliable-to-him-source) is the identity of one of the drummers who it ISN'T, and earlier in the thread has said that person is Priester.  So we'll find out if he was right, or if he is a disinformation agent.  Fun either way to me.

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #4892 on: April 28, 2011, 03:57:35 PM »
Ah, the day that thousands of Dream Theater fans across the globe have been waiting for, for over 7 and a half months is almost here...

Time flies doesn't it?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #4893 on: April 28, 2011, 04:34:59 PM »
Maybe...  I can tell you one thing for sure:  Come Friday, a LOT of people are going to be very surprised.
I can think of 3 things that could mean.

1) It's not Mike Mangini.
2) It is Mike Mangini, but there is Marco Minnemann drama.
3) :friday:
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4894 on: April 28, 2011, 04:57:03 PM »
Ah, the day that thousands of Dream Theater fans across the globe have been waiting for, for over 7 and a half months is almost here...

Time flies doesn't it?
Indeed it does.

Tomorrow is the day everyone. Brace yourselves. :)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4895 on: April 28, 2011, 05:05:54 PM »
Maybe...  I can tell you one thing for sure:  Come Friday, a LOT of people are going to be very surprised.

Or maybe by announcing that we will be surprised, he is then creating an atmosphere of tension and of course us expecting something interesting to happen that is out of the ordinary. However on the day he doesn't do anything at all out of the ordinary, which would then play against our expectations, and leaving us surprised. A surprise by not doing anything other than announcing a false surprise.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #4896 on: April 28, 2011, 05:47:55 PM »
Maybe...  I can tell you one thing for sure:  Come Friday, a LOT of people are going to be very surprised.

Or maybe by announcing that we will be surprised, he is then creating an atmosphere of tension and of course us expecting something interesting to happen that is out of the ordinary. However on the day he doesn't do anything at all out of the ordinary, which would then play against our expectations, and leaving us surprised. A surprise by not doing anything other than announcing a false surprise.

Xanatos gambit/10

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4897 on: April 28, 2011, 05:55:36 PM »
Did they confirm that in the end of the documentary they show who they chose or is it just that everyone here is so excited that they just assume that will happen?

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #4898 on: April 28, 2011, 05:57:52 PM »
I think it was confirmed in the email. I forget though. Too lazy to go doublecheck.

Offline Raoul Sanchez

« Reply #4899 on: April 28, 2011, 06:06:57 PM »
One thing I've thought - and forgive it has been said already - is that a drummer is like the live band's metronome.  He has to be consistent with the beat for the others to fill their required parts.  If a drummer decides to embellish by adding or subtracting, it throws off the entire song's rhythm (literally). 

That is how I interpret JR's comment about how they play the songs every night and what needs to be expected of the drummer.

I second this.

Look at Virgil's alterations in the section near the end of TDOE. While it was definitely daring, technically impressive and sounded pretty cool he pretty much threw something in that he hadn't quite nailed into the middle of an already technically demanding piece. Considering DT's focus on playing tightly that's not something you want from the backbone of the band.

Even if he did nail it, it's changing the feel of something that is already very difficult to play. DT are fond of writing stuff that pushes their abilities, and a drummer who is going to significantly change things up without warning probably isn't the best choice for them.

This isn't a knock against Donati as a player, or even as a musician in general. I personally would love to see the band switch things the way he was doing, but I can definitely see why the band aren't interested in that.