23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1055585 times)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.
« Reply #4830 on: April 25, 2011, 07:56:10 PM »
Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaawk.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4831 on: April 25, 2011, 07:59:35 PM »
I love James LaBrie internet-isms.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #4832 on: April 25, 2011, 08:57:49 PM »
who's charlie dominici?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4833 on: April 25, 2011, 09:05:58 PM »
stuff

Nick, the Dominator was certainly trying to ride on DT's success. Looking at some older interviews, the guy said again and again before coming out with his solo stuff that he wasn't even into the prog metal stuff Dream Theater wanted to create back then and was always the first to agree when people suggested they go a more commercial route. Then suddenly appear three Dominici records, 2 of which are, for better or worse, about as predictable as prog metal gets.

I'm not knocking people who like that kinda stuff (I have soft spot for some of those cookie cutter prog metal bands), but I just tend to prefer prog metal bands who make the genre their own more than the ones that let the genre make them. Bands who define prog metal on their own terms, like DT did back in the day, Opeth did with Blackwater Park, BtBaM are doing now, etc, are just more interesting than bands that just seem to be trying too hard for their own place under the banner of the genre.

Look, I'm not hating on Charlie. There are people out there who just can't get enough of what he does and its fine that he fills that niche. But, let's face it, he's not Dream Theater's Jon Arch. He was never a good fit to begin with, so when he comes out with new music that continues in that awkward vein of just not sounding completely "right" for him you can't really paint him as the guy who was there in the beginning and has a license to even compete with DT, especially given his admitted dislike for prog metal.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 09:22:54 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline MemoryScenes

« Reply #4834 on: April 25, 2011, 09:10:45 PM »
who's charlie dominici?

A mediocre singer, who sang on the first DT album, but was dropped due to his vocal limitations. At least he contributed the cool DT logo!!  :metal

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4835 on: April 25, 2011, 09:31:05 PM »
who's charlie dominici?

A mediocre singer, who sang on the first DT album, but was dropped due to his vocal limitations. At least he contributed the cool DT logo!!  :metal

He hattooed himself a Majesty symbol before being kicked out of the band. That's the guy.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #4836 on: April 25, 2011, 09:35:02 PM »
who's charlie dominici?

He hattooed himself a Majesty symbol before being kicked out of the band. That's the guy.

I AM THE KILLING Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnddddddd

Offline weddingnails

« Reply #4837 on: April 26, 2011, 06:56:20 AM »
i am still rooting for marco,but mangini is amazing. his audition was killer :metal,i wanted to see more
"i don't trust anything that bleeds for 5 days and doesn't die"

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #4838 on: April 26, 2011, 07:17:21 AM »
There's a lot of people speculating around the candidates agenda ("cannot be because he's busy...") when MP used to play in DT, LTE, OSI, G3, Transatlantic, and several tributes at the same time.

These guys are not less capable than him.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4839 on: April 26, 2011, 08:00:00 AM »
who's charlie dominici?

Charlie is sooo lame. :lol

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #4840 on: April 26, 2011, 08:35:52 AM »
i am still rooting for marco,but mangini is amazing. his audition was killer :metal,i wanted to see more
I feel the same way. I've been rooting for Marco since the beginning, but Mangini seems like he could gel really well with the band. I'm pretty sure Minnemann breezed through this audition (minnemann has ridiculous independence and can easily navigate through complex time signatures and changes), and cannot f'ing wait to see him do it.

Offline weddingnails

« Reply #4841 on: April 26, 2011, 08:48:26 AM »
there are only two drummers that i actually enjoy watching their solos. marco is one because he never sounds like he is just hitting stuff,his solos are very musical. the other drummer is the god of drums neil peart
"i don't trust anything that bleeds for 5 days and doesn't die"

Offline russellmania

« Reply #4842 on: April 26, 2011, 06:18:52 PM »
All along I haven't really had a preference who would get picked, but after the first part of the doc, I have to say that if Mangini ends up being the guy I would have no problem with that at all.  Seems like he'd be a really great drummer and band member.  With that said, I just listened to Stork for the first time today and holy shit, Thomas Lang is awesome.  I'm kind of rooting for him now as I liked the compositions on the Stork album quite a bit and his drumming is also impeccable.

With that said, I think Priester has a much better chance of getting it than people think.  His playing outside of Angra has a very 'DT/Portnoy'-esque sound to it that I could see meshing well with the guys.  Just the fact that he actually turned out to be one of the 7 lends some credence to the claims a few months ago that he was given the job, when at the time some people here were arguing that there was no way that he could have even auditioned. 

Given that Mangini set the bar so high I feel good about things b/c not having seen any of the other auditions yet, even if Mangini is the worst they could do (which I don't believe) then they've already got a candidate who is more than capable.  If one or several of the other guys are able to beat him out for the job then the band is in a very good position moving forward.

Offline Knguro

« Reply #4843 on: April 26, 2011, 06:35:58 PM »
All along I haven't really had a preference who would get picked, but after the first part of the doc, I have to say that if Mangini ends up being the guy I would have no problem with that at all.  Seems like he'd be a really great drummer and band member.  With that said, I just listened to Stork for the first time today and holy shit, Thomas Lang is awesome.  I'm kind of rooting for him now as I liked the compositions on the Stork album quite a bit and his drumming is also impeccable.

With that said, I think Priester has a much better chance of getting it than people think.  His playing outside of Angra has a very 'DT/Portnoy'-esque sound to it that I could see meshing well with the guys.  Just the fact that he actually turned out to be one of the 7 lends some credence to the claims a few months ago that he was given the job, when at the time some people here were arguing that there was no way that he could have even auditioned. 

Given that Mangini set the bar so high I feel good about things b/c not having seen any of the other auditions yet, even if Mangini is the worst they could do (which I don't believe) then they've already got a candidate who is more than capable.  If one or several of the other guys are able to beat him out for the job then the band is in a very good position moving forward.

man you said it!, just one questions for everyone here, who do you think that was actually the one that impressed JL at the end of episode 1 ? i´ve seing the video at least 50 times now, and i think it was marco´s audition, still im hopping is Lang!
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #4844 on: April 27, 2011, 03:23:22 AM »
Lang is looking most DT IMO.
Marco is great, too and Mangini done very good job but I think he's not choosen one
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 03:43:27 AM by Tomislav95 »
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #4845 on: April 27, 2011, 03:40:43 AM »
I'm not sure who to think, but I'm happy with Mangini.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #4846 on: April 27, 2011, 05:40:12 AM »
just one questions for everyone here, who do you think that was actually the one that impressed JL at the end of episode 1 ? i´ve seing the video at least 50 times now, and i think it was marco´s audition, still im hopping is Lang!
99.95% it was Marco's audition.
https://img199.imageshack.us/i/minnemannlulz.jpg/
*is not sure if he will get banned for this image... please let me know for editing/post deletion asap kthnx*

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #4847 on: April 27, 2011, 05:43:40 AM »
just one questions for everyone here, who do you think that was actually the one that impressed JL at the end of episode 1 ? i´ve seing the video at least 50 times now, and i think it was marco´s audition, still im hopping is Lang!
*is not sure if he will get banned for this image... please let me know for editing/post deletion asap kthnx*
People have already discovered this, don't worry :)

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #4848 on: April 27, 2011, 06:15:24 AM »
lmao I only just noticed the question for the poll.
 :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4849 on: April 27, 2011, 07:19:45 AM »
Just the fact that [Priester] actually turned out to be one of the 7 lends some credence to the claims a few months ago that he was given the job...

There were never any "claims" he got the job.  Only a VERY small handful of people saying "I think it should be him." 

Well, this has been discussed at length.  There's nothing banworthy about posting something that is public knowledge.  But I do have to say, if you aren't sure whether something will get you banned, posting it without asking first isn't a very smart approach.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #4850 on: April 27, 2011, 07:34:09 AM »
^^ I :heart the subtle condescension lol. Point taken nonetheless.
How long 'till this is uploaded? I am in Australia and cannot be bothered going through the whole time-zone-conversion process...
*excite bikezzzz*

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4851 on: April 27, 2011, 07:36:40 AM »
There were never any "claims" he got the job.  Only a VERY small handful of people saying "I think it should be him." 

There was a claim he got the job. It was at another drum forum. Some guy said something like "Priester is the drummer. I know that sounds bizarre but you guys know my track record and know I have my sources so just wait and see." And it eventually caught wind over here.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4852 on: April 27, 2011, 08:09:09 AM »
How long 'till this is uploaded? I am in Australia and cannot be bothered going through the whole time-zone-conversion process...
*excite bikezzzz*

:lol  Sorry.  I don't mean it to sound condescending.  But, seriously, it's just not smart to do that.  If it had been banworthy, you'd be banned right now for posting it.  How hard is it to just send me or the other mods a quick PM and say, "Hey, is it okay to post this?"  Then you'll know whether you are safe or not.  Just like a lot of other things in life, when in doubt, it's best to just ask.

There was a claim he got the job. It was at another drum forum. Some guy said something like "Priester is the drummer. I know that sounds bizarre but you guys know my track record and know I have my sources so just wait and see." And it eventually caught wind over here.

Oh, that's right.  I forgot about that.  But as I recall, there NEVER was any information forthcoming that this guy had any special credentials or was otherwise in the know, other than he claimed he had a "track record" for being a good guesser.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #4853 on: April 27, 2011, 08:42:23 AM »
I posted months ago that an editor from the Greek Rock Hard magazine wrote that his sources claimed that the drummer was not any of the big names we all expected (so probably Priester). I got some shit for posting this, but now it seems other people had claimed the same.
Most rumors point Mangini as the new drummer, but it would be interesting to see if DT had decided for another drummer and then changed their minds.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4854 on: April 27, 2011, 08:44:04 AM »
I really just can't see it being Priester, not because of his abilities, but because his English just isn't very good and I can't see him interacting with the band that much.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4855 on: April 27, 2011, 08:45:12 AM »
Of all of the drummers, I think Priester is the only one I would actually be disappointed with. Although I'm sure DT had good reasons for choosing whoever they did. :)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4856 on: April 27, 2011, 08:51:03 AM »
I was watching a video of Priester playing, and he seemed to be really good.  Maybe not the same caliber as the other guys, but still seemed damn good.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4857 on: April 27, 2011, 08:54:25 AM »
I was watching a video of Priester playing, and he seemed to be really good.  Maybe not the same caliber as the other guys, but still seemed damn good.

He's not a bad drummer by any stretch. I just don't think he's DT caliber, nor is he all that interesting.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4858 on: April 27, 2011, 09:02:38 AM »

I saw him live with Angra. He is good but not good enough for DT.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #4859 on: April 27, 2011, 09:30:00 AM »
Episode 2 seems to indicate (from JM of all people) that it is now down to Mangini, Minnemann, and Priester or Wildoer.

Maybe we should update the poll? Keep this in real time with the doc?

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #4860 on: April 27, 2011, 09:43:04 AM »
*excite bikezzzz*
Been posted already as of maybe 1.5 hours ago. If you go to the roadrunner records main youtube page, the second episode automatically will start playing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #4861 on: April 27, 2011, 09:44:19 AM »
Episode 2 seems to indicate (from JM of all people) that it is now down to Mangini, Minnemann, and Priester or Wildoer.

Maybe we should update the poll? Keep this in real time with the doc?
I'm tempted - unless anyone suspects there might be a shock twist?

(Love that Priester's in the Final Four, btw. After people threw tonnes of scorn at the notion of him even auditioning.)

EDIT: Who keeps removing the "change vote" option?

Offline champbassist

« Reply #4862 on: April 27, 2011, 09:50:38 AM »
Since the first day, I've supported Mangini, but my 'heart', for some reason, is with Minnemann. Today's episode just reinforced my feelings.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #4863 on: April 27, 2011, 09:56:35 AM »
(Love that Priester's in the Final Four, btw. After people threw tonnes of scorn at the notion of him even auditioning.)
I wouldn't call it being in the "final four" when the band says "It's down to the 2 guys we've liked so-far, plus the guys who haven't auditioned yet." ;)

Though I find it ironic that JR seemed quite dismissive of any attempts at interpreting the part and adding their own flare, considering that he's done quite a bit of that live. And JP seemed to like that exact same quality...

Offline robwebster

« Reply #4864 on: April 27, 2011, 10:06:25 AM »
Since the first day, I've supported Mangini, but my 'heart', for some reason, is with Minnemann. Today's episode just reinforced my feelings.
I always felt that Mangini's the most solid choice but Minnemann's the most exciting choice.

Mangini's a lot more fun than I was expecting, and he's a very, very strong second place in my book, but Minnemann's drumming is unrivallable.

I started this sentence by typing "bracing myself for disappointment," but Mangini's appointment would be as far from disappointment as you could possibly get. What I'm bracing myself for is my favourite candidate not getting the job. Crossing my fingers he does, but Mangini would be an absolutely superb heir to the drum throne.

I wouldn't call it being in the "final four" when the band says "It's down to the 2 guys we've liked so-far, plus the guys who haven't auditioned yet." ;)
Absolutely. Even if it's just by virtue of chronology, though, it's still a lovely twist in the tale.