23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1055614 times)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Re: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.
« Reply #4795 on: April 24, 2011, 10:07:41 AM »
So, my band's drummer brought up an interesting point about the applicants, how a few of them (especially Donati and Lang) kinda have such a strong independent career going on that they might never had been truly part of DT, but rather "DT + Donati" etc.

rumborak

I think that's part of what DT faced as they considered their options. All of these guys list many bands in their personal discographies and I'm sure that the DT guys didn't want to be just one of those many listed.

But if they did the "inviting" these guys to audition as it kind of sounds like they did, they had to know there was a risk. I've wondered who was invited and who actually applied. I suppose we'll see in the video.
:tup
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4796 on: April 24, 2011, 11:32:43 AM »
Watching the video again, they were having fun as you can see in their faces when they play.

I'm voting for Donati, Lang or Priester...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #4797 on: April 24, 2011, 11:36:46 AM »
I love the 62 votes for people that have been confirmed it's not.

Minnemann is in a different band, it's not Wildoer or Roddy as they've said as much, and Lang has a date scheduled in direct conflict with DT's tour.

Priester, though an underdog should get more votes simply because at least he is still a practical choice.

Edit: Didn't Marco even answer a question about it somewhere saying he didn't get the gig but is doing other work with JRand JP? I remember reading that somewhere.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #4798 on: April 24, 2011, 11:48:08 AM »
Edit: Didn't Marco even answer a question about it somewhere saying he didn't get the gig but is doing other work with JR and JP? I remember reading that somewhere.

I've heard that too, but not that he's working with Petrucci too

Could he be the drummer for his next solo album perhaps?  :\

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4799 on: April 24, 2011, 12:14:30 PM »
Edit: Didn't Marco even answer a question about it somewhere saying he didn't get the gig but is doing other work with JR and JP? I remember reading that somewhere.

Why that face? It would actually be awesome to hear Marco drumming for JP.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #4800 on: April 24, 2011, 12:16:03 PM »

Could he be the drummer for his next solo album perhaps?   :D :metal
This
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #4801 on: April 24, 2011, 01:10:24 PM »

Why that face? It would actually be awesome to hear Marco drumming for JP.

Haha that was intended to be a "curious" face lol

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4802 on: April 24, 2011, 01:44:38 PM »
It's all good, then.  :metal
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4803 on: April 24, 2011, 03:15:14 PM »
Priester, though an underdog should get more votes simply because at least he is still a practical choice.

Yeah, but I think everybody considers him not really an option. He's got that terrible, terrible drum sound all too common in metal, where the bass drum sounds like a wet fart.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4804 on: April 24, 2011, 04:18:50 PM »

That's nice, all 6 of Charlie's fans liked that joke.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #4805 on: April 24, 2011, 04:26:11 PM »
I thought Charlie was quite happy with DT and what he's done with them. A few weeks back he posted a vid of him singing Metropolis with DT in When Dream and Day Reunite, and he used to talk about the members in a positive light.

Wonder what happened there then...

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4806 on: April 24, 2011, 04:30:59 PM »
Geez guys, what's with this Charlie hate?
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4807 on: April 24, 2011, 04:31:27 PM »
I thought Charlie was quite happy with DT and what he's done with them. A few weeks back he posted a vid of him singing Metropolis with DT in When Dream and Day Reunite, and he used to talk about the members in a positive light.

I doubt it was malicious at all, he was probably just joking around.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #4808 on: April 24, 2011, 05:23:53 PM »

I doubt it was malicious at all, he was probably just joking around.
Yeah, "extremely annoying" sounds a lot like joking around :lol

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #4809 on: April 25, 2011, 03:36:02 AM »
On his band picture of Facebook, someone asked him what he thinks of the drummer auditions and he said "I couldn't care less" and when someone mistook it as an answer for a different question he said "oh not you Rikki, the DT drummer shit"

Yeah I think its quite malicious but oh well ^^

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4810 on: April 25, 2011, 03:39:26 AM »

Great remarks from someone who's entire solo career is based on riding the wave of DT's popularity!

Offline LTE777

« Reply #4811 on: April 25, 2011, 05:15:56 AM »
For some reason, Charlie Dominici reminds me a lot of Joe Pesci in the movie Casio/Goodfellas...

Back to the topic, i have it made up in my mind that its Mike Mangini but is Donati still in the running as he is the person i picked on page 1 of this post way back when?

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #4812 on: April 25, 2011, 05:43:14 AM »
So is this going to be a couple minutes ever week, or will we get the entire doc 'soon'?
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4813 on: April 25, 2011, 06:14:27 AM »
I think Charlie was cunning in some ways. Like, when he first starting reaching out to the DT fans you could tell that he wanted to try and present himself as an alternative to the shortcomings of (what then was) recent DT. I remember even when he was opening for them he'd make comments about how Dominici was giving DT a "run for their money."  When WDADRU came out, Charlie was there again, one of the first people to argue that James hadn't done better than him (I disagree there, neither version have great vocals, but I'll still take WDADRU over WDADU). This comment on the drummer is just kinda an extension of that, CD sort of portraying himself the fans who pay attention to him as being "above the nonsense."

If someone actually central to DT's success, like Mike or Kevin, formed a new band and were vocal about it being better than Dream Theater, fans might listen. But, the fact is, this is all coming from the guy who, fair or not, is the main reason most DT fans ignore their first album.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4814 on: April 25, 2011, 07:56:04 AM »
I think Charlie got way more mileage out of his DT association than I certainly would have expected. But, there were a lot of things, all of his own doing, that doomed the project eventually. First of all, the music was just no there. It was super-generic prog metal with intentional ripping of DT songs, in the hope DT fans would love that stuff. And that actually is the real issue here, he was trying to manipulate his target audience (just as he was trying to manipulate me and others to join his forum), thinking we were just stupid DT minions who he could coax into shelling our money (and our love) for his stuff too. Problem is, people immediately picked up on the manipulation and didn't take it lightly.
If you compare that to KM or Derek's music, even the immediate stuff they released after being in DT, you never felt manipulated. They were making music to make music, not to have a plaque on the wall.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline lithium112

« Reply #4815 on: April 25, 2011, 08:26:41 AM »

Minnemann is in a different band, it's not Wildoer or Roddy as they've said as much, and Lang has a date scheduled in direct conflict with DT's tour.

Edit: Didn't Marco even answer a question about it somewhere saying he didn't get the gig but is doing other work with JRand JP? I remember reading that somewhere.

Can't we pretty much discredit everything those guys said though? I'm pretty sure Wildoer said he didn't even audition.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #4816 on: April 25, 2011, 11:21:55 AM »
Charlie Zeleny said that he didn't audition. PW merely said that "DT would have been cool", without stating whether he auditioned or not.

As far as I see it, speculating on what they said or didn't say was pretty much pointless imo, since the hints they would drop us were so subtle/vague that everyone else could have done so and it wouldn't have made any difference.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4817 on: April 25, 2011, 12:35:42 PM »

Great remarks from someone who's entire solo career is based on riding the wave of DT's popularity!

Yeah, and whose facebook page is full of WDADU positive reviews and links to his videos from WDADRU.

:facepalm:
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Cygnus7874

• Just Chillin
« Reply #4818 on: April 25, 2011, 12:52:13 PM »
Looks like Roadrunner's YouTube page just posted the first Episode of the drummer search. It says it's not available for mobile and my work firewall prevents me from getting at it right now, so please check it out and let us know. It's called The Spirit Carries On Episode 1.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #4819 on: April 25, 2011, 12:55:06 PM »

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4820 on: April 25, 2011, 01:05:44 PM »
Derek Sherinian, Mike Portnoy, Steve Stone, Chris Collins, Kevin Moore and you like this.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #4821 on: April 25, 2011, 01:06:26 PM »

Can't we pretty much discredit everything those guys said though? I'm pretty sure Wildoer said he didn't even audition.

agreed, there could be bluff and double bluff. As you quite rightly say Peter denied auditioning!

Offline Cygnus7874

• Just Chillin
« Reply #4822 on: April 25, 2011, 01:28:24 PM »
Just got the first email about the "documentary". GEESH!

And we brought down the network. Way to go DT Fans. We have crashed Roadrunner ;D
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Offline Cygnus7874

• Just Chillin
« Reply #4823 on: April 25, 2011, 01:30:35 PM »
um, i guess we are migrating this discussion over to the other "Exclusive Look" thread. ugh

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #4824 on: April 25, 2011, 01:31:14 PM »
Derek Sherinian, Mike Portnoy, Steve Stone, Chris Collins, Kevin Moore and you like this.

edit - wait isn't there someone else too? I can't remember all the exmembers.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #4825 on: April 25, 2011, 06:33:25 PM »
First off let me see Charlie certainly has a short fuse and has said some stupid shit, but that said some of the comments about his music and use of DT are as far from accurate as could possibly be.

@PC - I don't see how Charlie could ride on the success of Dream Theater. He was with them for the first album which is by far their least selling album, which many fans don't even know about and which others generally don't like. Derek Sherinian has flat out said his time with Dream Theater allowed him to have a successful solo career and in his case it's certainly true, though no one ever faults him at all for it. I'm not saying Sherinian isn't talented, but frankly if it weren't for Dream Theater he'd probably still be a hired hand with no one caring about his personal work.

On top of all that Charlie has produced some great albums. Sure, he has one song that has a riff similar to a Dream Theater song, but that aside anyone who says it's just a cheap Dream Theater knockoff is just being ignorant and dismissive. Yes, it's the same general genre, but I don't see anything wrong with that, nor do I have a problem with Charlie trying to drum up support from current DT fans, frankly if you enjoy DT there should be a good chance you'll enjoy Dominici because as I've said, it's the same general genre and the music is great. If you don't like the music that's fine, but people who just dismiss it because it is in the same ballpark as Dream Theater are foolish as his work is up there near the top with others of the genre.

And finally.

@Rumborak - I'm sorry if this comes off as mean, but to me at least some things are getting old, and I think the only thing that could possibly be more generic than your image of prog-metal is your posts about prog-metal, it always seems to be beating the same old dead horse.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4826 on: April 25, 2011, 06:42:45 PM »
I fail to see the reason for all the Dominici hate and bashing. I mean it was just a joke... I even thought it was funny, and that doesn't mean I'm not excited with the documentary!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4827 on: April 25, 2011, 06:57:01 PM »
I fail to see the reason for all the Dominici hate and bashing. I mean it was just a joke... I even thought it was funny, and that doesn't mean I'm not excited with the documentary!

It's not just that comment. It's his comments overall.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #4828 on: April 25, 2011, 07:52:47 PM »
Well, CD DOES like to stir things up a bit, so it's not surprising

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4829 on: April 25, 2011, 07:55:46 PM »
;-))))
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing