23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1055618 times)

Offline LTE777

Re: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.
« Reply #4725 on: April 21, 2011, 06:37:26 PM »
Let me tell you why it can only be Mangini:

1) The majority of evidence we have had so far has indicated him as the front runner.
2) Has been silent on new projects after he quit as a Berklee Drum Teacher which initself was weird.
3) His website after being the same format for years suddenly stopped being functional with a message that it will be updated fully in May (announcement?).
4) Preister, Lang, Donati, Wildoer et al are amazing drummers but they do not have the personalities to match the DT vibe or feel.  Mangini is a larger than life character and a true rock musician, he has the look, on stage persona, is a bit up himself sometimes for show but has a certain grace and coolness where as the other guys sometimes look like a group of accountants especially during long technical sections in songs.
5) Mangini's work with annialator was limited to their song structures thus limited what he could play. His playing on James's EOP was fantastic to the point that i read when it came out everyone though the songs were off the new octavarium album thus they couldnt really pick the drumming difference between MM and MP which says a lot.  His playing with Vai not only on albums but live is amazing and he is def a showman too. 
6) DT cant afford a member to just sit behind a kit and play but play very well. Their shows will become a boring prog fest and the only drummer who auditioned that has the character to keep the show going IMO is Mike Mangini.
7) They only need to strike out everything that says Portnoy and replace it with Mangini thus cutting a lot of costs down! (yes, i am an accountant and im joking).
8) All recent leaks have indicated that MM will be the next drummer.

Sorry for the ramblings but the band is a business and they would have looked at this from a business perspective and most of their buisiness is live shows.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4726 on: April 21, 2011, 07:03:48 PM »
Now just to be clear because I didn't see the teaser video, when is this documentary coming out exactly?

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=22350.msg854080#msg854080
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #4727 on: April 21, 2011, 07:15:56 PM »
I am almost certain that (sadly) Thomas Lang is out. He has a lot of drum camps coming up.

Mangini seems to be the only logical choice. He get's irritated when asked about DT, he quit his job at Berkelee, he has been working on some new drum parts, his website is being redesigned, and other pieces of evidence just point to Mangini
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4728 on: April 21, 2011, 08:02:24 PM »
Mangini

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #4729 on: April 21, 2011, 08:06:23 PM »
even though im 85% sure its mangini, and supposedly marco confirmed he isnt the drummer. i stuck with my original vote for minnemann

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4730 on: April 21, 2011, 08:56:36 PM »
I want it to be Lang, but I truly believe it's Mangini.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Major Thirteenth

• He has his father's eyes... Gomez, take those out of his mouth.
« Reply #4731 on: April 21, 2011, 10:34:24 PM »
There is no evidence that this is the case at all, people here speculated that they may do that, but that's it.

I can only say that I believe this to be true (the drummer selection video to be released around May or so) in the strongest possible terms that would not require documentation. And once it is proven true, I would like permanent dispensation from ever having to offer proof of future assertions.

:hat

Alrighty then...

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #4732 on: April 22, 2011, 12:08:37 AM »
Let me tell you why it can only be Mangini:

1) The majority of evidence we have had so far has indicated him as the front runner.
2) Has been silent on new projects after he quit as a Berklee Drum Teacher which initself was weird.
3) His website after being the same format for years suddenly stopped being functional with a message that it will be updated fully in May (announcement?).
4) Preister, Lang, Donati, Wildoer et al are amazing drummers but they do not have the personalities to match the DT vibe or feel.  Mangini is a larger than life character and a true rock musician, he has the look, on stage persona, is a bit up himself sometimes for show but has a certain grace and coolness where as the other guys sometimes look like a group of accountants especially during long technical sections in songs.
5) Mangini's work with annialator was limited to their song structures thus limited what he could play. His playing on James's EOP was fantastic to the point that i read when it came out everyone though the songs were off the new octavarium album thus they couldnt really pick the drumming difference between MM and MP which says a lot.  His playing with Vai not only on albums but live is amazing and he is def a showman too. 
6) DT cant afford a member to just sit behind a kit and play but play very well. Their shows will become a boring prog fest and the only drummer who auditioned that has the character to keep the show going IMO is Mike Mangini.
7) They only need to strike out everything that says Portnoy and replace it with Mangini thus cutting a lot of costs down! (yes, i am an accountant and im joking).
8) All recent leaks have indicated that MM will be the next drummer.

Sorry for the ramblings but the band is a business and they would have looked at this from a business perspective and most of their buisiness is live shows.
I think that evidence no.3 shows everything...that would be too much coincidence (in which I don't believe...) that net site will be run again on May... ;) SO....  ;)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #4733 on: April 22, 2011, 12:27:22 AM »
I really think it is going to be Mangini...but I still really want it to be Minnemann. ???

Offline Ice9ine

« Reply #4734 on: April 22, 2011, 12:35:10 AM »
Priester has an Octopus on his drum kit.

Octopus/Octavarium = NUGGETZ.

I crossed the crooked step.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4735 on: April 22, 2011, 12:39:45 AM »
On that big list, four is just silly, and five is as well.  His EoP drumming wasn't all that fantastic compared to ths tuff MP coudl write and play.   And we don't know the chemistry between him and the bnad until we see if for ourselves. 

nad number 7 is a joke.  That kind of cost is incredibly minumal and would probably go into variable overhead or something.  Even then it would take like five minutes total to fix the twitter, facebook, and official site.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #4736 on: April 22, 2011, 01:16:29 AM »

hahaha nice

I am sticking with minnemann. haters gonna hate skaters gonna skate haters gonna rotate

Offline thyer

« Reply #4737 on: April 22, 2011, 01:38:54 AM »
I hope in Virgil Donati or Marco Minnemann...but the Mike Mangini web site is on restyle for a few months (in april will be the newone...coincidence?)

At the bottom of the heart I tought for a surprise: "we didin't choose anyone because Mike is caming back"...dreams!!!

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #4738 on: April 22, 2011, 01:48:50 AM »
I think emindead would be awesome....actually did not even know he plays drums

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #4739 on: April 22, 2011, 02:10:27 AM »
I hope in Virgil Donati or Marco Minnemann...but the Mike Mangini web site is on restyle for a few months (in april will be the newone...coincidence?)

At the bottom of the heart I tought for a surprise: "we didin't choose anyone because Mike is caming back"...dreams!!!

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4740 on: April 22, 2011, 02:40:43 AM »
Never changed my opinion, it's Mangini.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Ice9ine

« Reply #4741 on: April 22, 2011, 02:44:14 AM »

hahaha nice

I am sticking with minnemann. haters gonna hate skaters gonna skate haters gonna rotate

One of the first performances with the new drummer is with Judas PRIEST.

More NUGGETZ.
I crossed the crooked step.

Offline randymarsh

« Reply #4742 on: April 22, 2011, 03:02:09 AM »

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #4743 on: April 22, 2011, 03:43:47 AM »
I want it to be Minnemann so I voted for him. There is more evidence towards Mangini though.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #4744 on: April 22, 2011, 04:17:21 AM »
Hi,

Newbie here. My vote goes to this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7IhsAd1jVs&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL  :laugh:
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. Minnemann's still my ideal, but not only is Mangini more probable, but every time someone links to a video of him I think "you know what? This guy's going to be brilliant."

P.S. I like your name. Like some kind of sexy bog.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #4745 on: April 22, 2011, 06:48:03 AM »
Hi,

Newbie here. My vote goes to this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7IhsAd1jVs&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL  :laugh:
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. Minnemann's still my ideal, but not only is Mangini more probable, but every time someone links to a video of him I think "you know what? This guy's going to be brilliant."

P.S. I like your name. Like some kind of sexy bog.

I thought so too. :lol Sig'd.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #4746 on: April 22, 2011, 07:07:57 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Biis2GFg6KA&feature=related
Mangini playing Xanadu - Rush, probably been posted before but wow. Amazing stuff.  :metal

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4747 on: April 22, 2011, 07:52:03 AM »
Found another drummer for the tryout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7XaMCG7cnw
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4748 on: April 22, 2011, 07:58:45 AM »
Found another drummer for the tryout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7XaMCG7cnw

One day Max Portnoy will drum in a band, and this guy will eventually replace him!

Offline IronMarioAUT

« Reply #4749 on: April 22, 2011, 08:22:03 AM »

Lang says he broke his foot and didn't audition....but he did.

As far as I know Lang never said he broke is foot or that he didn't audition by himself. This info was on some website where they said Lang had to cancel one of his bootcamps because of an injured foot.

Lang also posted a new video on his youtube channel yesterday. Seems like he will be on tour again with Gianna Nannini (an italian rock singer) from late april until the end of july.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4750 on: April 22, 2011, 09:59:10 AM »
I think emindead would be awesome....actually did not even know he plays drums
Thank God. I've been waiting since September to tell you guys how it went.

I first got a spam e-mail saying that I was chosen for a unique opportunity to join a privileged family; "The Banks family" I thought "is a mere fictional portray of a wealthy family. Of course this is a fake."

Then, destiny called me...

To be continued...

« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 12:04:56 PM by emindead »

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4751 on: April 22, 2011, 10:38:20 AM »
oh my god I can not wait to hear this story!  :lol

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #4752 on: April 22, 2011, 11:17:04 AM »
I've been kinda thinking about something. Do you guys think MP will be more like Kevin Moore, in that he will be reluctant to work with the band now that he's gone, or do you think he will continue to associate himself with them? Like for reunion shows, books, interviews, etc.

I have a feeling he will continue to work with the band on things like that, I was just wondering what other people thought.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #4753 on: April 22, 2011, 12:07:14 PM »
Still hoping for Peter Wildoer
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline erik16

• The one on the right
« Reply #4754 on: April 22, 2011, 12:28:57 PM »
I've been kinda thinking about something. Do you guys think MP will be more like Kevin Moore, in that he will be reluctant to work with the band now that he's gone, or do you think he will continue to associate himself with them? Like for reunion shows, books, interviews, etc.

I have a feeling he will continue to work with the band on things like that, I was just wondering what other people thought.
I think Dream Theater might rather become Kevin Moore v2 and Mike Portnoy shall remain Mike Portnoy.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #4755 on: April 22, 2011, 12:49:17 PM »
That'd be pretty hypocritical of MP to turn his back on the band after the way he criticized KM for turning his back on the band. Maybe I've read the whole KM/MP thing wrong but it just wouldn't seem right for MP to ignore his former band anymore and not acknowledge them
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #4756 on: April 22, 2011, 03:00:48 PM »

What if the rest of the band are the ones who don't want to associate themselves with him?
Remember when Mike said that they didn't pick up the phone or anything, so that could be a sign that they don't want him, unless there's some hidden info as to why they ignored him...

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4757 on: April 22, 2011, 04:11:51 PM »
Voted Mangini in the beginning because I dreamt it, still think it's him but so want it to be Lang. I'm sure it's not though as he's tweeted about a drum festival he's to play at in Mexico City when DT are in Kiev.

The way Mangini is shown throwing the sticks away at the end of the video has just pissed me right off and I really don't want it to be him. It just looks so arrogant and un-DT.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4758 on: April 22, 2011, 04:20:48 PM »
The way Mangini is shown throwing the sticks away at the end of the video has just pissed me right off and I really don't want it to be him. It just looks so arrogant and un-DT.
Uh... what?! MP used to do it, and loads of drummers do it. He was probably just having fun, from the couple of reports we've heard from the drummers, it sounds like it was an enjoyable time.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4759 on: April 22, 2011, 05:03:38 PM »
Uh... what?! MP used to do it, and loads of drummers do it. He was probably just having fun, from the couple of reports we've heard from the drummers, it sounds like it was an enjoyable time.

But it was an audition and it just smacked of "I am awesome and I've just proved it. The deal is done" and it rubbed me up the wrong way.
MP earned the right to do it.
I've enjoyed checking out these drummers over the last few months but every Mangini video I've seen I haven't liked. Awful drum sound and overplaying to the detriment of the song. I am worried now. I'm feeling like it may be Queensryche all over again. I need to go and lie down! Nurse, the screens.