23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1059123 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #4340 on: March 20, 2011, 06:22:24 PM »
But I do agree that they should have, and perhaps should instead do on this tour, released a top quality dvd instead of CiM.

I don't think this can be stressed enough. As someone who's been into the band for awhile, I can say pretty confidently that Score was of the utmost importance in reassuring fans about the bands' live performance. Before Score, people had a billion reservations, almost all of which were directed at James. And after that DVD, people really did stop complaining for the most part.

Then a tour later they release the bare-bones, crappy Chaos in Motion. Now guess what? People wonder if Score was a fluke, and the newer fans who've never been to shows see it and say, "oh, so I guess James is problem."

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #4341 on: March 20, 2011, 06:22:30 PM »
I actually don't see Dream Theater going on much longer

they said that after dt released fif.

Why did you omit the most important part of my sentence? I meant "going on... as a band known for heavy metal and high-pitched vocals."

to be honest, i only read the first sentence of your post.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline dongringo

« Reply #4342 on: March 20, 2011, 06:26:20 PM »
Part of it, of course, has to do with the economy. Part of it has to do with Mike's ProgNation tour which, though cool, was unfortunately not something enough fans were giving a chance and thus a 'failure'. And I wonder if part of it had to do with releasing the half-assed Chaos in Motion DVD at the peak of the bands' popularity. Seriously, at that point in the game, DT needed to top Score and show their new fans what they were capable of. Instead, they put out a cheapo that good for the hardcore fans but was bad enough to potentially turn any new fan away.

As for PT, I think the same is kinda true. They could be increasingly in popularity right now, but SW is just too concerned with his solo stuff. Last year had not PT and this year will also feature no new PT, yet 3 or 4 new Steve Wilson side-project records. That, I think, is a bad sign for any band.

1. BC&SL did better in the charts than any other album. And this new drummer thing has generated more interest than ever before. I wouldn't worry about DT. They are on the rise.
2. As for PT, Steve Wilson has stated in a recent interview that he will be getting back together with the Tree at the end of this year. I wouldn't worry about PT. They are on the rise.

^ Just my 2 cents.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #4343 on: March 20, 2011, 06:34:19 PM »
no reply = accepts fail.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #4344 on: March 20, 2011, 06:43:14 PM »
To the people arguing with "ricky":  please, for your own sake, stop.  You will actually feel your brain cells dying.  Literally.  Just some friendly advice. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #4345 on: March 20, 2011, 06:52:52 PM »
To the people arguing with "ricky":  please, for your own sake, stop.  You will actually feel your brain cells dying.  Literally.  Just some friendly advice. 

So true.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4346 on: March 20, 2011, 07:03:03 PM »
Someone had to say it.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #4347 on: March 20, 2011, 07:06:02 PM »
but im not dumb...

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4348 on: March 20, 2011, 07:08:02 PM »
Part of it, of course, has to do with the economy. Part of it has to do with Mike's ProgNation tour which, though cool, was unfortunately not something enough fans were giving a chance and thus a 'failure'. And I wonder if part of it had to do with releasing the half-assed Chaos in Motion DVD at the peak of the bands' popularity. Seriously, at that point in the game, DT needed to top Score and show their new fans what they were capable of. Instead, they put out a cheapo that good for the hardcore fans but was bad enough to potentially turn any new fan away.

As for PT, I think the same is kinda true. They could be increasingly in popularity right now, but SW is just too concerned with his solo stuff. Last year had not PT and this year will also feature no new PT, yet 3 or 4 new Steve Wilson side-project records. That, I think, is a bad sign for any band.

1. BC&SL did better in the charts than any other album. And this new drummer thing has generated more interest than ever before. I wouldn't worry about DT. They are on the rise.
2. As for PT, Steve Wilson has stated in a recent interview that he will be getting back together with the Tree at the end of this year. I wouldn't worry about PT. They are on the rise.

^ Just my 2 cents.

My rebuttals:
1.) BC&SL did better on the charts, sure. But do we know how much it actually sold? Doing well on the charts is a combo of a lot of things: whether other highly anticipated albums are coming out, for example. As far as I know, nothing else was coming out next to BC&SL except that The Mars Volta album. I'm curious to see how the BC's numbers actually compare with the SC ones.
2.) Eh, I'd say they've sort of plateaued. But I guess time will tell. I don't see them playing to half-empty crowds any time soon, but I also don't see them moving to bigger venues either.

To the people arguing with "ricky":  please, for your own sake, stop.  You will actually feel your brain cells dying.  Literally.  Just some friendly advice.  

Noted  :police:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 07:18:56 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline ekuban

« Reply #4349 on: March 20, 2011, 07:20:52 PM »
How old are the Guys from Maiden? Quite a bit older than DT and the still can lay it down. Bruce is still sprinting around stage. RJD was still very good up until his cancer suprised him at 67. Dio would still be going strong, he had no plans of quiting, nor should he have. Priest is winding down after 40 years and Ozzys still strong. DT has many, many good years left thankfully, providing no more unforseen garbage takes place. And if they keep replacing members as they leave, the DT octavarium could live on for longer than most of us. Heres to the Drummer being a great band member and the bands youngest. Long Live  DT. :metal

Offline dongringo

« Reply #4350 on: March 20, 2011, 07:21:11 PM »
DT will sell more tickets if they return to An Evening With or have just one opening band. And as far as PT, if Sigur Ros can play larger venues, I'm confident PT can. At any rate, for both DT and PT, it seems that the next album will be crucial to the growth of their fanbase.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4351 on: March 20, 2011, 07:26:56 PM »
How old are the Guys from Maiden?

A lot of people might be surprised to hear this, but James LaBrie is only 5 or so years younger than Bruce Dickinson. James is also a good 5 years older than the other guys in Dream Theater (barring Jordan, who is older than the Maiden guys). And, honestly, since the average Iron Maiden tour these days is like 2 dozen shows around the world, I do think we'll be extremely lucky if we have what DT are giving us now for more than the next couple cycles.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #4352 on: March 20, 2011, 07:44:29 PM »
It's no wonder they didn't want to take a hiatus. Their time is definitely now. I'm actually not worried about James. He sounded amazing the last couple times I saw him on the last tour. He's got some years left in him.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #4353 on: March 20, 2011, 07:45:30 PM »
I hope it's Mangini.

Offline ekuban

« Reply #4354 on: March 20, 2011, 08:18:06 PM »
Did some research, Maidens oldest member is there Drummer at 58. I was suprised to see James is only 5 years younger than Bruce. Bruce still runs around like a bullet on stage, hopefully James can stay as in physically good shape as Bruce. Maidens 3 guitarists are all 11 years older than JP. Harris has Myung by 11 as well. Niko had Portnoy by a whopping 15 years. And yeah Jordan is as old as Maiden. But Jordan, like most Wizzards has a longer Life expectancy and could probably do what he does for a very long time(And he appears to take good care of himself as well)
 I hope Maiden can keep going for another 20 and DT another 30 before they stop. DT looks up to Maiden and hopefully thinks they can hang as long as they do. I know Im being optimistic, I dont even care if its rocking chair music that they put out. Im gona need somethin to listen to in the nursing home.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #4355 on: March 20, 2011, 08:24:02 PM »
:rollin Thanks for the research.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #4356 on: March 20, 2011, 08:26:02 PM »
see that's the problem, people think about things too much.

you can be like, "well bruce dickinson is this old..." blah blah blah

but he will never even be close to kevin labrie, therefore the argument is invalid.

edit to to too

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #4357 on: March 20, 2011, 08:27:03 PM »
There's no way in hell Maiden will continue another 20 years. And DT won't continue another 30

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #4358 on: March 20, 2011, 08:28:26 PM »
you can be like, "well bruce dickinson is this old..." blah blah blah

but he will never even be close to kevin labrie, therefore the argument is invalid.

You understand that anywhere other than a DT forum you will be completely mocked and laughed at for this, right?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #4359 on: March 20, 2011, 08:36:25 PM »
yeah, i do.

but this is a dt forum so i'm safe.

nick, why can't we be friends?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4360 on: March 20, 2011, 08:47:59 PM »
but this is a dt forum so i'm safe.

No really.

Though I agree. Between Bruce and James, James is the far better singer, though both guys are easily in my top 10. We've already got a thread for that, though.

Offline walmartsecurity

« Reply #4361 on: March 20, 2011, 10:25:53 PM »
To the people arguing with "ricky":  please, for your own sake, stop.  You will actually feel your brain cells dying.  Literally.  Just some friendly advice.  

Alright, I know it's pointless arguing with children, but I don't think my post had to be deleted. I contributed to the topics at hand and gave my thoughts on it. Oh well. I guess my rep here isn't great because I say what I feel without dipping it in sugar first. Not that I really care, I'm an on and off poster anyway. Someday soon I'll stop altogether or get myself banned for fueling the trolls too much.

I'm still hoping it's Minnemann. That would be officially answering my prayers. The recent update from JP doesn't reveal much that we don't already know, which tells me that we're probably not getting an announcement before April... I was dreading this for a couple months now but I didn't think it would take this long. Now I'm guessing late April - early May for the big press-release-website-post-big-announcement-album-news thingy.

Maybe if I think about it enough, it will happen, like imaginary exercise. Yes it works.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #4362 on: March 21, 2011, 12:24:31 AM »
walmartsecurity:

I have no idea what you're talking about.  LOL  .... I wasn't directed my post at you or anything.  I didn't know you had posts deleted....  ????
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4363 on: March 21, 2011, 04:53:55 AM »
no reply = accepts fail.
These kinds of posts are not useful, ricky.  So cut it out.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4364 on: March 21, 2011, 10:19:26 AM »
But I'm hopeful that one day, he will turn 60, and DT will still be together.

Not sure I really want to see that. Not with their kind of music.

rumborak

Yes, but let's consider the fact that unlike me you already don't like what DT has been doing. For those of us who still think DT is producing great music we'd like to see that continue.

You misunderstood me. I wasn't criticizing their late musical output. I rather meant that with their music of very fast and technical prog metal, with a high-pitched singer, I'm not sure I want to see some 70-yo fogies butcher their own material because they just can't pull it off anymore.
In other words, DT shouldn't be another Kansas.

rumborak

WOW!! I saw Kansas a couple years ago and they did an awesome job!!! I hope DT gets to that age being able to play as good as Kansas did that night.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4365 on: March 21, 2011, 11:22:43 AM »
I have this live recording of Kansas somewhere where the singer is horrendous horrendous. That's what I was basing my comment on really.
Let's use The Who instead then as an example of "should have stopped when we were still good".

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4366 on: March 21, 2011, 11:32:55 AM »
I have this live recording of Kansas somewhere where the singer is horrendous horrendous. That's what I was basing my comment on really.
Let's use The Who instead then as an example of "should have stopped when we were still good".

rumborak

Saw The Who back in 2006. They still sounded really good. Not like they used to be, but Daltrey was on fire that night

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #4367 on: March 21, 2011, 12:01:16 PM »
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 07:31:08 AM by ricky »

Offline tartarus250

• peace love and good happyness stuff
« Reply #4368 on: March 21, 2011, 12:37:22 PM »
if maiden can stll do it and run about like they do i dont see how a near static dt cant go on touring for ages to come!! as long as jlb looks after his voice!! and i'd like to point out that maiden are doing a very extensive world tour this year and bruce is flying the plane as well as playing after!!!
The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4369 on: March 21, 2011, 02:31:05 PM »
Then a tour later they release the bare-bones, crappy Chaos in Motion. Now guess what? People wonder if Score was a fluke, and the newer fans who've never been to shows see it and say, "oh, so I guess James is problem."
But it James is problem then... who... is phone?!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Merlin Coryell

« Reply #4370 on: March 21, 2011, 02:40:41 PM »
Wait, did I miss something? Why are people STILL talking about Minnemann; did he not long ago make an official announcement that he was NOT the DT drummer? Thus... are the rumors not dismissed?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4371 on: March 21, 2011, 03:29:16 PM »
But it James is problem then... who... is phone?!

More importantly...who was drum?
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Raziel666

• Infinite Moonloops
« Reply #4372 on: March 21, 2011, 03:42:33 PM »
Wait, did I miss something? Why are people STILL talking about Minnemann; did he not long ago make an official announcement that he was NOT the DT drummer? Thus... are the rumors not dismissed?

Um... no. No such announcement was made from Minnemann.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4373 on: March 21, 2011, 03:45:10 PM »
The new drummer is...

Animal

You heard it here first

Offline JasonScandopolous

« Reply #4374 on: March 21, 2011, 03:53:35 PM »