23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1058758 times)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #4095 on: March 11, 2011, 12:41:21 PM »
Was it ever  :tup ?
I liked the first post. Get the feeling it was written by someone really handsome and clever. It just has that "handsome" vibe.

You're such a tease.  :D
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #4096 on: March 11, 2011, 12:49:18 PM »
You know its funny the negativity surrounding the probable announcement of Mike Mangini.
Maybe its because there's nothing new to this i.e. he's played with JLB so we kind of know what to expect.
Or maybe, despite all his technical ability.......and he is clearly one of the best technical drummers around.......he's not as flamboyant, he tends to sit and groove in the song.
He should actually be the perfect choice when you look at it but i'm still disappointed and I don't know why !

Maybe because deep down inside you know he is not the perfect choice. To me the prefect choice is Minnemann. He can play any style he wants, he does it amazingly good, he is a really cool guy, and he doesn't just rely on his technical skills but tries to play in a more melodic way.
I said this before and haven't changed my mind, having Mangini replace Portnoy is like Yngwie replacing JP, great technical skills, lacks heart.

Not the perfect choice for YOU? What are you saying? This is not about ANY of YOU. This is about the band and THEIR choice. And better yet, they are happy with their choice.

This thread has been lambasted by comments that are very self-centered.

Is it not the reason we are fans of Dream Theater is because of the music they play? And if that is the case, why would it matter who the drummer is so long as they compose and play great music?

Seriously, this thread has become  :tdwn

This remind me the Iron Maiden vocalist thing. All fans thought they will find the best singer for the band, blah, blah, blah; and they auditioned  great ones like Doogie White, Damian Wilson and André Matos along with others, but instead of that Steve Harris choose his personal favourite Blaze Bailey and fucked the band and the fans. Ultimately, after the lousy Virtual XI (eleven... OMG) he ended up sucking Bruce's Dick... inson to get him back on the band.

Imagine DT introducing, I don't know... Tommy Lee i.e. They can say he rocks, he´s a showman, he fucked Pamela, whatever. We´re all going to be dissapointed and the band won't sound like they use to.

So we can especulate all that we want. We´re here because we´re die-hard fans. The "Rat" knows...

A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #4097 on: March 11, 2011, 01:28:01 PM »
Blaze was a fine choice that got hosed by fans, and the problems with Virtual XI had nothing to do with Blaze.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #4098 on: March 11, 2011, 02:16:44 PM »
I just thought of something - Since DT have finished writing the new record and now they're tracking it, maybe they're planning announcing the new drummer along with a teaser of the new stuff and a new pic of the band.....just a thought.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #4099 on: March 11, 2011, 02:40:24 PM »
People, not necessarily on DTF, seem to be getting pissed off that it's taking so long. I never knew there was a pre-determined timeframe of when a band had to replace a member and then announce them.

Personally, I'm just glad DT is still around, but I think it reflects worse on RR than the guys themselves; RR haven't exactly done a great job as of late. Even if they can't say who it is, they could give some reason for why it's taken so long.

The problem is that we have been given information about the auditions and we have been confirmed that someone has been chosen. It's just the announcement that's left, so I think that's harder to digest than if we didn't know anything or if we thought they're still working on the decision.

Online T-ski

« Reply #4100 on: March 11, 2011, 03:05:31 PM »
the announcement happen on April 1st and everyone will think their choice is a joke.  ;)
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4101 on: March 11, 2011, 03:26:18 PM »
I just thought of something - Since DT have finished writing the new record and now they're tracking it, maybe they're planning announcing the new drummer along with a teaser of the new stuff and a new pic of the band.....just a thought.

Yeah, it will be announced in the press release.  I have thought this for a while.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline mittinagus

• Mexican Bad-ass...
  • Matando Güeros!
« Reply #4102 on: March 11, 2011, 03:31:09 PM »
I know that Mangini's playing would improve a lot in DT, but just imagine where the music would go if Lang or Minnemann where the one's improving their playing whith DT?

i mean...

Tin

Offline Ytse2112

« Reply #4103 on: March 11, 2011, 05:51:43 PM »
"I gotta fever"....and the only prescription is.... a new drummer."

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4104 on: March 11, 2011, 06:18:04 PM »
Hey!!!  Announcements gotta be very soon, because I guessed Pg. 119...... :yarr

Offline dongringo

« Reply #4105 on: March 11, 2011, 07:44:14 PM »
The band will be announcing a new drummer soon. Watch this space for more updates.

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/Dream-Theater-Hard-At-Work-On-New-Album--22599.aspx

:metal

:biggrin:

:corn

:(

>:(

:censored
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4106 on: March 11, 2011, 08:46:36 PM »
OK, I figured out why they haven't announced the new drummer yet.  It's because this thread is still open.

Maybe if I lock it, they will go ahead and announce it.

Is it worth a shot?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #4107 on: March 11, 2011, 08:47:44 PM »
Nope. Just wishful thinking on your part.  ;)
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #4108 on: March 11, 2011, 09:13:38 PM »
OK, I figured out why they haven't announced the new drummer yet.  It's because this thread is still open.

Maybe if I lock it, they will go ahead and announce it.

Is it worth a shot?

You'd probably have to shut down all of DTF, a new thread will open the second it's announced.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #4109 on: March 11, 2011, 09:30:25 PM »
The band will be announcing a new drummer soon. Watch this space for more updates.

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/Dream-Theater-Hard-At-Work-On-New-Album--22599.aspx

Hah, I was like, 'Why the hell would they publish a press release at 11pm on a Friday night?' and then I :facepalm:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4110 on: March 11, 2011, 09:51:05 PM »
You'd probably have to shut down all of DTF
There are days that this doesn't seem like all that bad of an idea.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4111 on: March 11, 2011, 09:51:19 PM »
Yeah, it sucked.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #4112 on: March 11, 2011, 09:56:42 PM »
Hef you have to understand, is getting the drummers name worth not being able to talk to me? I thought you valued our friendship more.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #4113 on: March 11, 2011, 10:09:28 PM »

Hah, I was like, 'Why the hell would they publish a press release at 11pm on a Friday night?' and then I :facepalm:

Ha haaa! Sorry bout that.  ;)
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #4114 on: March 11, 2011, 10:28:17 PM »

It was more directed at them for saying something like that.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #4115 on: March 11, 2011, 10:31:26 PM »

It was more directed at them for saying something like that.

all good
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4116 on: March 12, 2011, 05:14:10 AM »
Hef you have to understand, is getting the drummers name worth not being able to talk to me? I thought you valued our friendship more.
Sorry, dude.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #4117 on: March 12, 2011, 07:00:53 AM »
when you accept that it will never be announced, you get more excited.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline majo

« Reply #4118 on: March 13, 2011, 04:17:10 PM »
they'll never announce the name, will not include the name to album credits and they'll hire NDV for tour  :corn
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline mittinagus

• Mexican Bad-ass...
  • Matando Güeros!
« Reply #4119 on: March 13, 2011, 05:36:25 PM »
NDV would've been cool...

Tin

Offline SeventhSon

« Reply #4120 on: March 13, 2011, 05:45:57 PM »
I was thinking about this, and while I'm eager to learn the identity of the drummer, it occurred to me that since I don't really know any of the candidates, who it actually is doesn't really matter to me. It will basically just be a name until I hear some new Dream Theater music. I'm certain that whoever they choose will be at a high level of technicality and creativity and whatever else, and since I have no real attachment to any of the candidates, I don't have a strong preference one way or another.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #4121 on: March 13, 2011, 06:09:42 PM »
I was thinking about this, and while I'm eager to learn the identity of the drummer, it occurred to me that since I don't really know any of the candidates, who it actually is doesn't really matter to me. It will basically just be a name until I hear some new Dream Theater music. I'm certain that whoever they choose will be at a high level of technicality and creativity and whatever else, and since I have no real attachment to any of the candidates, I don't have a strong preference one way or another.

This is pretty much how I'm thinking these days as well.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #4122 on: March 13, 2011, 06:27:51 PM »
on a different note but on the same vein, i am a drummer, and know most of the candidates pretty well.

it's kinda funny to me how drastically different people think the drums will be if it was minneman rather than mangini. long story short, DT's music is so technical that there is only so many ways you can navigate odd time signatures and apply permutations of those meters.

whether you like them or not, or whether you even know who they are or not, the names on the list are definitely some of the the best in the business and will get the job done well. Whoever it is, I am confident that the drummer they picked, even if it is Mangini, will fit well.   
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #4123 on: March 13, 2011, 07:08:36 PM »
^

It's not just about how the new drummer will play the already existing DT music, though.  It's about how they approach NEW music.  Will it have a Jazz/ Fusion feel, a metal feel, a rock feel.... etc.  Then, there's the topic of dynamics.  Will the new drummer play heavy or have a lighter touch.... etc. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #4124 on: March 13, 2011, 07:28:44 PM »
^

It's not just about how the new drummer will play the already existing DT music, though.  It's about how they approach NEW music.  Will it have a Jazz/ Fusion feel, a metal feel, a rock feel.... etc.  Then, there's the topic of dynamics.  Will the new drummer play heavy or have a lighter touch.... etc.  

i'm not one to argue, but in this case i must.

first off,  I can tell you're not a drummer, bc you aren't speaking like one. Things like
Jazz/ Fusion feel, a metal feel, a rock feel.... etc.  
further let me know you don't know much about drumming. Here's why.

Things like
Jazz/ Fusion feel, a metal feel, a rock feel.... etc.
are taken for granted. As I said before, the list that RobWebster posted contain some of the best drummers in the world. And I say this a drummer who has been around for a while. Small things like "a metal feel, a rock feel" are irrelevant, because with how complex DT's music is, there is no certain type of feel, there is only navigating the very complex passages with adding their own flair. Guys like Mangini and Minnemann are so used to playing odd time signatures that they can do that in their sleep. So the part about getting being able to do it properly is thrown out of the window, because they can. But being able to do it without sounding like Portnoy (because they are probably listening to DT recordings nonstop) will be how they are defined.

Next on to
Then, there's the topic of dynamics.  Will the new drummer play heavy or have a lighter touch.... etc.  

Again, dynamic are important, but not as much as you will think. The music that Petrucci, Rudess, Labrie and Myung write will dictate the dynamics. All decent drummers operate under one rule, and that's to make the music they are playing to sound as good a possible, so dynamics is determined, in the most part, by what the other members are playing.

No matter who is picked will be good, because DT know what is up.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4125 on: March 13, 2011, 07:33:41 PM »
Seening Mangini live the guy can morph into different styles when it comes to different bands he's playing in which, to me, is a big plus for a band like DT who plays different styles.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #4126 on: March 13, 2011, 09:05:10 PM »
first off,  I can tell you're not a drummer, bc you aren't speaking like one.

You're right that I'm not a drummer.  I'm a musician and I think like one of "those" types.... you know.... like a musician would think?  And, not just like a drummer would think?

....further let me know you don't know much about drumming. Here's why.

I don't need to be an expert on playing drums to discuss the things that I mentioned.  In fact, I can turn your own argument around on you and say: "You don't know know a lot about being a MUSICIAN because....", but I wouldn't do that because it's condescending.  

Small things like "a metal feel, a rock feel" are irrelevant, because with how complex DT's music is, there is no certain type of feel, there is only navigating the very complex passages with adding their own flair.

Wow.  That's a really, really, really strange way to look at music.  The feel that a drummer gives a song is a "small thing" and "irrelevant"?  Oh.  Okay.  And, apparently to you, ALL of DT's music is, "very complex passages" that a, "drummer must navigate."  You are aware that DT doesn't only play ridiculously complicated music, right?  

Guys like Mangini and Minnemann are so used to playing odd time signatures that they can do that in their sleep. So the part about getting being able to do it properly is thrown out of the window, because they can. But being able to do it without sounding like Portnoy (because they are probably listening to DT recordings nonstop) will be how they are defined.

What are you talking about here?  Who was discussing whether either of the drummers you mentioned, "can properly play odd time signatures"?  I didn't mention anything having to do with technique/ time signatures and you're replying to my post as if I had.  

Again, dynamic are important, but not as much as you will think. The music that Petrucci, Rudess, Labrie and Myung write will dictate the dynamics. All decent drummers operate under one rule, and that's to make the music they are playing to sound as good a possible, so dynamics is determined, in the most part, by what the other members are playing.

No, you misunderstood me.  What I was getting at is this - will the new drummer be ABLE to play dynamically.  That is, if they're playing something really atmospheric, will the new drummer be able to dynmically compliment what the other guys are doing?  That's one thing I always liked about MP - the fact that he basically always knew when to play heavy or play softly or use a lot of cymbals, etc.  
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #4127 on: March 13, 2011, 09:06:36 PM »
epic fail at the attempted quote before you edited it.

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #4128 on: March 13, 2011, 09:08:28 PM »
epic fail at the attempted quote before you edited it.

Okay.  You're a baby.  Nighty night. 

I have made my points, you've made yours.  No need to interact with each other anymore.  K? 

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #4129 on: March 13, 2011, 09:11:22 PM »
ight.