23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1059144 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #3990 on: March 04, 2011, 10:22:17 AM »
Well, a long time ago in the dinosaur age, you had to be a fan club member to know the latest, or buy a magazine and hope they gave an interview.

Why are you mad they answered a question in an interview a while back.   
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #3991 on: March 04, 2011, 11:22:42 AM »
LOL. I think MP can be taken off the table LOL.

From Portnoys FB page:

Neal Morse will be performing these special concerts with members of the original Testimony Band featuring Mike Portnoy!

Thursday May 19 - Nashville TN (venue tba)

Saturday May 21 - Mexico City (venue tba)

Monday May 23 - New York City - The Blender Theater at Gramercy

Tuesday May 24 - Springfield VA - JAXX

Thursday May 26 - San Francisco, CA - The Avalon in Santa Clara

www.bayarearockpromotions.com

Friday May 27 - Seattle, WA - Experience Music Project Theater

Saturday May 28 - Los Angeles CA -  Whittier Theater in Whittier

https://www.calprog.com/

Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #3992 on: March 04, 2011, 11:26:48 AM »
MP was never on the table. Not even a little bit. Never.

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #3993 on: March 04, 2011, 11:59:18 AM »
i know he hasnt. but some people still he was LOL>
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline darkshade

« Reply #3994 on: March 04, 2011, 12:01:34 PM »

From Portnoys FB page:

Neal Morse will be performing these special concerts with members of the original Testimony Band featuring Mike Portnoy!

does this mean the new Neal Morse album will be out around May? (new topic?)

Offline dongringo

« Reply #3995 on: March 04, 2011, 07:12:31 PM »

From Portnoys FB page:

Mmmmm...Seattle...
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #3996 on: March 05, 2011, 06:34:50 PM »
Marco Minnemann is apparently recording with Guthrie Govan in Chicago right now.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3997 on: March 05, 2011, 06:42:47 PM »
Marco Minnemann is apparently recording with Guthrie Govan in Chicago right now.
:o

I is excite.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3998 on: March 05, 2011, 06:51:28 PM »

Wait...the guy from GPS (former Asia spin-off with Jay Schellen and John Payne)?! Sweet... sounds like I'll have to tune into that whenever it comes out. Govan is pretty damn good from the GPS album (which I've heard they're recording a second album and releasing it this year!)

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline wjc

« Reply #3999 on: March 05, 2011, 06:54:24 PM »
Put me down as one of the people who had dreams about the new drummer

They were going to announce it on a stage on a street near my house, which I found on the way home. I was going to be there only I wasn't wearing pants; didn't get to see the announcement but apparently it was some dude with a northern European name who apparently they were considering as Kevin Moore's replacement (???)
Have your say in DT: The League

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #4000 on: March 05, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
I had a dream a few months ago it was minnemann lol. Can't remember it too well but I just remember they announced it was him. Pretty boring dream.

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #4001 on: March 05, 2011, 07:19:37 PM »
as much as i am looking forward to the new album we still might have a long time to wait for any announcement, I mean it took dragonforce nearly a year to sort out a new vocalist.....

If it's the same situation as DragonForce they should take a year as well, so that the new drummer is better than Mike, just as Marc is better than ZP :tup

Offline bloop

• The opadismo
  • Mobilizing to contribute to the alliance
« Reply #4002 on: March 05, 2011, 07:22:43 PM »
Had a dream that Portnoy won the rights for the DT name and made a Dream Theater album all by himself (playing all the instruments etc.,)

wouldfeelprettybadman.jpg

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #4003 on: March 05, 2011, 09:26:12 PM »
So that's like six or seven of us that have had dreams now?

Offline Lotion

« Reply #4004 on: March 05, 2011, 09:55:12 PM »
Put me down as one of the people who had dreams about the new drummer

They were going to announce it on a stage on a street near my house, which I found on the way home. I was going to be there only I wasn't wearing pants; didn't get to see the announcement but apparently it was some dude with a northern European name who apparently they were considering as Kevin Moore's replacement (???)

Haha, i had a dream they announced it at my school, and Thomas Lang was the chosen one.. this was months ago :P

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4005 on: March 05, 2011, 09:56:35 PM »

Holy crap. I just got into Erotic Cakes and absolutely loved the album. I don't care if Minnemann is or isn't the new drummer anymore  :lol I'm glad he's drumming in such an amazing project.

I wouldn't mind having him drum for DT, though. :neverusethis:
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Yazman

« Reply #4006 on: March 06, 2011, 04:17:39 AM »
I had a dream that Ginger Fish from Marilyn Manson (their drummer) left the band to join DT. Scary part is that I woke up to find out he actually did leave the band.

But the new drummer is definitely not Ginger Fish. lol.

Offline emtee

« Reply #4007 on: March 07, 2011, 11:39:40 AM »
Assuming the tracking starts soon, or has already started, DT always laid down drums first...
There will have to be a drummer entering and leaving the studio. I would assume that we
will know soon, because it will be impossible to keep it secret much longer. Hopefully days.
And, tomorrow marks 6 months since MP's heartbreaking press release. Hard to believe
6 frickin' months have already passed.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4008 on: March 07, 2011, 01:54:38 PM »
Assuming the tracking starts soon, or has already started, DT always laid down drums first...
There will have to be a drummer entering and leaving the studio. I would assume that we
will know soon, because it will be impossible to keep it secret much longer. Hopefully days.
And, tomorrow marks 6 months since MP's heartbreaking press release. Hard to believe
6 frickin' months have already passed.

but how long have we been saying they can't keep it secret much longer? About 100 pages so far.

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #4009 on: March 07, 2011, 02:10:14 PM »
I remember having a dream about two nights ago, I was using my computer checking out some guitar pro tabs and there was this one of a Dream Theater song I had never heard before, I just remember there was a really cool keyboard solo, then suddenly it entered a marker called "Power Metal Tapping Unison" and there was the sickest tapping unison ever by Rudess and JP. Since I had not heard that before, I assumed that's from the new album, but didn't mind about looking at the song's name  :facepalm: But I'm in the group of those that dreamed about the new album  :lol

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4010 on: March 07, 2011, 03:41:01 PM »
everyone's having DT drummer-related dreams? that must mean something. they're clearly trying to access our minds and give us information so we decipher it out.

I've heard of mind-boggling iPad apps, so Jordan might have something to do with this.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4011 on: March 07, 2011, 04:08:55 PM »
getting into our dreams is just another marketing ploy!
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4012 on: March 07, 2011, 04:12:44 PM »
Then again, they dont call 'em Dream Theater for nuthin'  :yarr

Offline bloop

• The opadismo
  • Mobilizing to contribute to the alliance
« Reply #4013 on: March 07, 2011, 04:14:05 PM »
 :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #4014 on: March 07, 2011, 05:08:24 PM »
they cant keep it a secret for much longer :neverusethis:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4015 on: March 07, 2011, 05:08:58 PM »
AFAIK, they have always laid down "scratch" drum tracks first, to which they then recorded the main musical parts, and then MP came in and recorded "finished" drum tracks.  If they still do that, they can actually use a drum machine for the scratch tracks, and then the new drummer can come in and lay down his own drum tracks.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #4016 on: March 07, 2011, 05:42:33 PM »
AFAIK, they have always laid down "scratch" drum tracks first, to which they then recorded the main musical parts, and then MP came in and recorded "finished" drum tracks.  If they still do that, they can actually use a drum machine for the scratch tracks, and then the new drummer can come in and lay down his own drum tracks.

that's quite odd. i've never heard of a band ever doing it that way. i'm pretty sure MP recorded his main parts with scratch guitars/keys, and then they piled everything else on. could be mistaken though.

where did you hear this?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4017 on: March 07, 2011, 05:46:08 PM »

Usually it's the opposite. Drums are more often than not, the first thing to be finished. Sometimes the drummer records to click and scratch guitar/keys, and sometimes the whole band jams it out together until the drums are finished and then the other guys re-record everything professionally.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4018 on: March 07, 2011, 05:49:18 PM »
Actually, there was a feature in Guitar Center's quarterly where they interviewed Peart and he was saying he prefers do record his drums last as well because he wants to know exactly where the vocalist's big florishes and most emotional lines are so he can compliment those parts with his drumming.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #4019 on: March 07, 2011, 05:59:14 PM »
Neil's not the most conventional drummer though

Online Adami

« Reply #4020 on: March 07, 2011, 06:09:04 PM »
Actually, there was a feature in Guitar Center's quarterly where they interviewed Peart and he was saying he prefers do record his drums last as well because he wants to know exactly where the vocalist's big florishes and most emotional lines are so he can compliment those parts with his drumming.

Yea, I remember hearing that Neil writes the vocals himself because he can't imagine the drummer not doing it. He bases a lot of his drumming around the vocals, but DT does not do that. However it might be a better idea, that way vocals might be given a slightly more important part.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4021 on: March 07, 2011, 06:12:44 PM »
Yes, both of the previous two posts raise valid points.  I'm just saying that, off the top of my head, I know of at least one example in a solid band where they don't follow the "traditional" pattern of recording final drum parts first before all other instruments and vocals.  It may seem odd to do it any other way, but there is certainly precedent for deviating, so I see no reason why DT couldn't do so if they wanted to.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #4022 on: March 07, 2011, 06:13:56 PM »
Yes, both of the previous two posts raise valid points.  I'm just saying that, off the top of my head, I know of at least one example in a solid band where they don't follow the "traditional" pattern of recording final drum parts first before all other instruments and vocals.  It may seem odd to do it any other way, but there is certainly precedent for deviating, so I see no reason why DT couldn't do so if they wanted to.

They very well could. I wonder if it's covered in any of their "in the studio" videos. :)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4023 on: March 07, 2011, 06:16:21 PM »
You mean whether it has been covered in past videos, or whether it will be in future ones?

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4024 on: March 07, 2011, 06:18:27 PM »
Maybe both? Although I don't remember anything like it with the SC DVD.