23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1059103 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #3850 on: February 28, 2011, 10:18:05 AM »
Come April 1st, DT will annonce that Mike Portnoy has never left and we've all been fooled.

;D

I sure hope not.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3851 on: February 28, 2011, 11:01:42 AM »
If Portnoy "is infinitely creative" and he was in DT when their music had gradually lost him, then why doesn't he shoulder any of that blame? Also the second sentence makes no sense. He says it was all downhill after SC, but then compliments BCSL which has been their only release since.

he never said the music was getting stale. he said the relationships were.

Which is something I have lots of trouble picturing, considering how good JLB and JR get along.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3852 on: February 28, 2011, 11:04:45 AM »
MP's relationship with the guys got stale. The relationships within other members of the band apparently didn't, so they're moving on.

Offline Knguro

« Reply #3853 on: February 28, 2011, 11:06:44 AM »
this^
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #3854 on: February 28, 2011, 11:47:40 AM »
looking around for more drum videos in youtube from mangini/minnemann/lang.. i bumped with this amazing drummer Johnny Rabb.. wow.. not saying he would be a great fit for DT but i'm happy i bumped to his videos.. i really like his playing, he is pretty impressive in a different way than mangini/minnemann/lang.. He have great groove and technique.

This past 5 months have been pretty educative in my drumming appreciation.

Offline Ytsejammin

• The biggest DT freak in Idaho
« Reply #3855 on: February 28, 2011, 06:49:59 PM »
Regarding the comments about MP being the holder of the archives from '85-'10, does anyone out there suspect that MP may be reluctant to share such archives with his former band mates or a representative  from their camp?

If so, who would be the supposed victims of such a policy? Us, the fans, by being denied more DT materials to ingest? Or the band and its management/record company, by being denied use of said materials?

Would this come to legal action on the part of 2 or more parties? Would either side contest copyright holding privileges?

What does "It's too bad 'cause I had another batch (of Ytsejam Bootlegs) I was working on" mean?

I do not intend to finger point. I am merely interested in speculative discussion.     
Through natures inflexible grace , I\'m learning to live.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3856 on: February 28, 2011, 07:13:19 PM »
Regarding the comments about MP being the holder of the archives from '85-'10, does anyone out there suspect that MP may be reluctant to share such archives with his former band mates or a representative  from their camp?

Of course some people suspect that.  That's why it is being discussed.  Do we know?  No.  But it would not be surprising to most people if he were reluctant to share without being compensated.

If so, who would be the supposed victims of such a policy? Us, the fans, by being denied more DT materials to ingest? Or the band and its management/record company, by being denied use of said materials?

I vote "all the above."

Would this come to legal action on the part of 2 or more parties? Would either side contest copyright holding privileges?

We don't know whether it will ultimately lead to legal action.  That is exactly what people are speculating about.

What does "It's too bad 'cause I had another batch (of Ytsejam Bootlegs) I was working on" mean?

I think it means he had another batch of Ytsejam Bootlegs he was working on.  But that's just a guess.  Other than the fact that Mike picked them out and sent them to Bob S. for mastering, we don't know much more.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Rafael Guerra

• DTF.org member
  • Personal Text.
« Reply #3857 on: February 28, 2011, 07:25:28 PM »
Is this any of you guys? :lol  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh9rqq7886U

I was bored and just typed "new dream theater drummer" on YT hoping that Jordan might have posted a video 1 min ago (you never know), this is one of the most recent ones. Even though i don't understand who this guy is talking to, I share his opinion that Minnemann would be the best fit. It also shows that Wikipedia (sadly) is still the first place people are going to when looking for the drummer. Anyways, just a link if you guys are bored.
Crossing bridges in the sky.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #3858 on: February 28, 2011, 07:32:16 PM »
:rollin
@ Mangini being called "Bizarro Portnoy"

Offline Jalis

• ... I play bass... 4-string bass...
« Reply #3859 on: March 01, 2011, 01:17:55 AM »
:rollin
@ Mangini being called "Bizarro Portnoy"

hahahahaha .... I wanna make a driving video and make weird statements...

I need a car... and then u'll know the truth...
I almost play like JMX

Offline climberboy

« Reply #3860 on: March 01, 2011, 02:45:26 AM »
how awesome would it be to have this guy as the drummer  :P https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sf_pogZ8jE&feature=related
(sorry if already posted)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3861 on: March 01, 2011, 05:02:28 AM »

I think it means he had another batch of Ytsejam Bootlegs he was working on.  But that's just a guess. 

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Jalis

• ... I play bass... 4-string bass...
« Reply #3862 on: March 01, 2011, 05:16:29 AM »
Just in!
He is here

The new drummer !
https://bit.ly/1Tnd5u
I almost play like JMX

Offline Aquila Chrysaetos

« Reply #3863 on: March 01, 2011, 05:26:21 AM »

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #3864 on: March 01, 2011, 08:00:32 AM »
Just in!
He is here

The new drummer !

I just dont see Travis Barker playing for DT... He is an INCREDIBLE drummer and if this were true I'd be very pleasantly suprised.
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3865 on: March 01, 2011, 08:12:11 AM »
gawt
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #3866 on: March 01, 2011, 11:23:02 AM »
Just in!
He is here

The new drummer !

I just dont see Travis Barker playing for DT... He is an INCREDIBLE drummer and if this were true I'd be very pleasantly suprised.

It would be like getting a pop-punk Meg White.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3867 on: March 01, 2011, 11:31:20 AM »
If TB were to some how be chosen as the new drummer, Dream Theater would sky rocket in popularity.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3868 on: March 01, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
MP's relationship with the guys got stale. The relationships within other members of the band apparently didn't, so they're moving on.

The way it sounded, there had been a gulf between MP and the rest of DT at the time of his leave, probably because DT had become a hierarchy. Kind of Hosni Mubarak style, where he was completely flabbergasted when he saw the people who he thought were loving him unconditionally suddenly stood up against him.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #3869 on: March 01, 2011, 11:38:50 AM »
Roadrunner:  "Come back 4th March for another announcement" after announcing a festival date!!!!!!  Could this be it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????   ;D

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #3870 on: March 01, 2011, 11:42:09 AM »
If TB were to some how be chosen as the new drummer, Dream Theater would sky rocket in popularity.

it would be kind of a wild ride wouldn't it? 

Possibilities.....  :metal
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline emtee

« Reply #3871 on: March 01, 2011, 11:45:12 AM »
Roadrunner:  "Come back 4th March for another announcement" after announcing a festival date!!!!!!  Could this be it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????   ;D

Possible. Maybe the official DT site will post a teaser too. We will just have to wait and see. March 8th would
have marked 6 months since MP's press release. We have to be getting close.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #3872 on: March 01, 2011, 12:31:55 PM »

Dream 182. A smile would be placed on the Majesty logo. And then some dots around it, or something. Technical, magnificent, spectacular, beautiful, eargasmic music. All over one overly simple stagnant drum beat. But it's ok, he plays it really hard. So that makes him good, right?

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #3873 on: March 01, 2011, 12:50:15 PM »

Dream 182. A smile would be placed on the Majesty logo. And then some dots around it, or something. Technical, magnificent, spectacular, beautiful, eargasmic music. All over one overly simple stagnant drum beat. But it's ok, he plays it really hard. So that makes him good, right?

From what I've seen of the guy, how can people even envision him in DT? Apart from hitting very hard, what can he do? Plus, there seems to be no subtlety in his playing. May be wrong though.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #3874 on: March 01, 2011, 01:06:18 PM »
Given that TB will be out on tour from mid March and thru April promoting his new cd, i doubt he is "the one".
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline lithium112

« Reply #3875 on: March 01, 2011, 01:10:10 PM »
Given that TB will be out on tour from mid March and thru April promoting his new cd, i doubt he is "the one".
Why is anyone seriously discussing Travis Barker in the context of Dream Theater's new drummer?

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #3876 on: March 01, 2011, 01:11:34 PM »
i dont know, but that was my point.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3877 on: March 01, 2011, 01:16:36 PM »
Why is anyone seriously discussing Travis Barker in the context of Dream Theater's new drummer?

Because this is DTF and we are running out of drummers to discuss.

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #3878 on: March 01, 2011, 01:18:40 PM »
Buddy Rich
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #3879 on: March 01, 2011, 01:19:03 PM »
Don't worry, hopefully we will all have something new to talk about come Friday  :)  Pleaseeeeeeeeee.

Offline Cygnus7874

• Just Chillin
« Reply #3880 on: March 01, 2011, 02:30:09 PM »
If "Come back March 4th for another announcement..." is the bands, or Roadrunners way of letting everyone know they will be announcing the new drummer, that is lame!
They have to know this is a huge announcement. I don't mean they need to make a LeBron special, but if I was Roadrunner, I would use it to call a lot of attention to themselves as a marketing tool, and DT to finally start interacting with the fans a bit more.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #3881 on: March 01, 2011, 02:48:53 PM »
If "Come back March 4th for another announcement..." is the bands, or Roadrunners way of letting everyone know they will be announcing the new drummer, that is lame!
They have to know this is a huge announcement. I don't mean they need to make a LeBron special, but if I was Roadrunner, I would use it to call a lot of attention to themselves as a marketing tool, and DT to finally start interacting with the fans a bit more.

Unless its an announcement about an announcement lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3882 on: March 01, 2011, 02:54:14 PM »

Unless its an announcement about an announcement lol

Haha, I'd be so pissed is it was an announcement saying we will know who the new drummer is within a few weeks.

Offline TheKillingHand

« Reply #3883 on: March 01, 2011, 02:56:45 PM »

Where does it say this? I can't see it on the DT section of the RR site..

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran