23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1059340 times)

Offline blackngold29

Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #3395 on: February 19, 2011, 12:20:15 AM »
The whole PMS concept really doesn't have anything to do with how good it is or not. Maybe it's different for me because I'm one of four people in the world that doesn't consider Phantom Menace an absolute flaming piece of shit. :biggrin:

The original comment is correct though, no matter who it is people will be mad, and will say "They would've been better off with ..." If you really want to go into it (hey we're 90 pages in, so what the hell) it's Barry Swartz's theory of more options = less satisfying. If you have the option of drummer A or drummer B, and you pick one you think, "Oh it could've been better with the other guy." Maybe it would, maybe not, but you probably won't second guess yourself too much. But if you have drummers A, B, C, D, E, F, G, Kevin Moore then you start really thinking, "Oh this aspect could've been better with B, and this one if I had picked G." And you over analyze, just like at some point someone will come along and say, "They should've picked {every guy that's picked up a drum stick name here}."

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #3396 on: February 19, 2011, 12:29:27 AM »
I think it's actually three people that liked Phantom Menace. But that's all beside the point.

The theory makes enough sense though. There's really only been a few names really in play, it seems. But there has been the option of a vast multitude of other drummers. It most likely is going to take an actual release to convince a lot of people that <insert drummer here> wasn't a mistake.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #3397 on: February 19, 2011, 12:37:35 AM »
Late to the party again, but I also call BS on this one until there's definite proof or an announcement. Sorry.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #3398 on: February 19, 2011, 01:36:45 AM »
Late to the party again, but I also call BS on this one until there's definite proof or an announcement. Sorry.

No, he saw him while he was walking to a place to do a thing ok? You just don't know what it's like to know things that others don't know. you don't know him, you don't know his life. Ok?

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #3399 on: February 19, 2011, 01:37:51 AM »
 :lol
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3400 on: February 19, 2011, 02:50:31 AM »
JLB's tweets are hinting at an awesome, unbelievable revelation when it comes and if it is Mangini that will be as flat as a Slash guitar solo to me. Obviously they are going to think the new guy is awesome whoever he is, but would Mangini really be that great a story?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3401 on: February 19, 2011, 03:05:10 AM »
Thanks for info, dreamsforever. And if it really is him - then welcome aboard, Mike Mangini.  :hefdaddy

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3402 on: February 19, 2011, 03:18:45 AM »
JLB's tweets are hinting at an awesome, unbelievable revelation when it comes and if it is Mangini that will be as flat as a Slash guitar solo to me. Obviously they are going to think the new guy is awesome whoever he is, but would Mangini really be that great a story?

What if it's Mike... Portnoy?  :biggrin:

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3403 on: February 19, 2011, 03:19:08 AM »
Just watched this video of Charlie Z playing DP's Burn with Joe Lynn Turner (come on Joe, we know it's a wig) and although it's not prog I just love what he does with the drums, and it looks cool! I like this guy's drumming and he would have been a great DT drummer, I have no doubt. Without all this wild speculation I would never have known this guy or Thomas Lang, so 100 or so pages of almost total bollock has been worth it.
I no longer check this thread to see who the new drummer is as I've given up on ever finding out! It's been fun and informative though.
Still want Lang, haven't changed my vote from Mangini because I dreamt it early in the process.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3404 on: February 19, 2011, 03:22:56 AM »
Anyway, I sincerely doubt James is just gonna drop a name at this point. The guys are supposedly all in the studio now, working on the new album. The new drummer will come with an announcement of the album's release date and title OR maybe we'll get some awesome rehearsal footage of the guys doing some new material in the studio with their new guy. That'd be awesome.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #3405 on: February 19, 2011, 03:27:12 AM »
Just watched this video of Charlie Z playing DP's Burn with Joe Lynn Turner (come on Joe, we know it's a wig) and although it's not prog I just love what he does with the drums, and it looks cool! I like this guy's drumming and he would have been a great DT drummer, I have no doubt. Without all this wild speculation I would never have known this guy or Thomas Lang, so 100 or so pages of almost total bollock has been worth it.
I no longer check this thread to see who the new drummer is as I've given up on ever finding out! It's been fun and informative though.
Still want Lang, haven't changed my vote from Mangini because I dreamt it early in the process.

You just checked this thread.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Raziel666

• Infinite Moonloops
« Reply #3406 on: February 19, 2011, 03:40:23 AM »
Just watched this video of Charlie Z playing DP's Burn with Joe Lynn Turner

Link pls? :)

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #3407 on: February 19, 2011, 03:45:22 AM »
Jeez I saw him. Everyone calm down. I don't understand why everyone is so mad on this board as I am just trying to give information. What's the difference at this point anyway. He was the one most people thought it was anyway. I'm waiting for the next person to say bs, which will happen within 2 posts. I will not say anymore now, since everyone is so friggin pissed for some reason, which I don't understand. Choose to believe me or not, but im telling you that's it's mangini.

You don't understand why everyone was giving you an attitude?  Really?  You come on this forum, with less than ten posts, and you boldly claim that, "It's Mangini," as if you know 100% that it's true, but when actually pressed for HOW you know, you say:

Well that is a tricky question. I don't want to say yes because I don't know who is actually reading this board if you catch my drift.

Um, WHO CARES who is reading this board?  Like I said, either you saw him or you didn't.  There's no need to say, "UR THAT'S A TRICKY ONE UR."  I still think you're full of it, judging by this response.  "Why are you guys so mad/ I'm just trying to give you information."  Yeah, sure you are.  

edit..

By the way: 

-  WHERE did you see him?
-  WHEN did you see him?
-  what time of day was it?
-  pictures?
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3408 on: February 19, 2011, 03:46:32 AM »
Oh shit. Snake Eyes is outraged again.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #3409 on: February 19, 2011, 03:47:39 AM »
Cheeky antidote to everyone shouting at dreamsforever like he's some kind of charlatan... I think you're being quite straight-up, direct and pleasant, and thanks for forwarding on the information.

And I'm not just saying that 'cause people are being really shouty and unfair. Admittedly, I wouldn't've vocalised it had they not been, but I do think you sound like you're telling the truth.

Jeez I saw him. Everyone calm down. I don't understand why everyone is so mad on this board as I am just trying to give information. What's the difference at this point anyway. He was the one most people thought it was anyway. I'm waiting for the next person to say bs, which will happen within 2 posts. I will not say anymore now, since everyone is so friggin pissed for some reason, which I don't understand. Choose to believe me or not, but im telling you that's it's mangini.

You don't understand why everyone was giving you an attitude?  Really?  You come on this forum, with less than ten posts, and you boldly claim that, "It's Mangini," as if you know 100% that it's true, but when actually pressed for HOW you know, you say:

Well that is a tricky question. I don't want to say yes because I don't know who is actually reading this board if you catch my drift.

Um, WHO CARES who is reading this board?  Like I said, either you saw him or you didn't.  There's no need to say, "UR THAT'S A TRICKY ONE UR."  I still think you're full of it, judging by this response.  "Why are you guys so mad/ I'm just trying to give you information."  Yeah, sure you are. 
Mate. Chill out. For a start, you're misrepresenting what he's saying. When actually pressed for HOW he knows, he said that he lives very close to the studio. He's implying something quite directly without trying to get into trouble. Understandably. JLB's reading! (Hi James!)

I get that you're frustrated but it's equally quite frustrating that peope are shouting vitriolically at someone who's a. trying to help out and b. being quite polite and pleasant about the whole thing. It's like watching a puppy fetch a newspaper and then get sliced apart with a fishknife for trying to help.

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #3410 on: February 19, 2011, 03:48:31 AM »

No, I'm not.  I'm from RI.  This is how we talk.  :)
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3411 on: February 19, 2011, 03:52:33 AM »

No, I'm not.  I'm from RI.  This is how we talk.  :)

My uncle lives there and runs unsuccessfully for the republican house every term. He's also an angry conservative from RI. And he's never as outraged as you seem to get about even the darndest things.

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #3412 on: February 19, 2011, 03:54:20 AM »
My uncle lives there and runs unsuccessfully for the republican house every term. He's also an angry conservative from RI. And he's never as outraged as you seem to get about even the darndest things.

He's apathetic.  :) 

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #3413 on: February 19, 2011, 03:58:06 AM »
I get that you're frustrated but it's equally quite frustrating that peope are shouting vitriolically at someone who's a. trying to help out and b. being quite polite and pleasant about the whole thing. It's like watching a puppy fetch a newspaper and then get sliced apart with a fishknife for trying to help.

Well, the thing is that I'm not frustrated because I care so much about who the drummer is.   It's just that, when I think someone is lying, I get really, REALLY irritated - especially on a forum like this when a lot of people are really interested in this topic and someone is acting sketchy when pressed. 

dreamsforever:  I still think you're lying.... until you give more information or until DT confirms that it's Mangini.  But, I apologize for my attitude.  That's all I'll say on the matter. 

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3414 on: February 19, 2011, 03:59:29 AM »
There are rude and annoying posters and then there's snakeeyes.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #3415 on: February 19, 2011, 04:46:53 AM »
If anyone could stay in the politeness realm, it would be cool! Guys, we're just a bunch of crazy fans checking every minute or so who the new drummer is (I know that I am in any case) and we were just given information. True or not, I don't know, but there's no reason for the thread to turn into a bashfest- I'm sick of the attention-whore comments! As there is no evidence whatsoever, can't we just continue speculating as we did before, before the thread is locked, please?

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3416 on: February 19, 2011, 05:11:20 AM »
Yes, everyone calm down.

SE, please don't be so harsh, there is no place for that here.

At the same time, dreamsforever, I would hope you would understand why your claim might be hard to believe.

So everyone ratchet it down a notch.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #3417 on: February 19, 2011, 05:15:09 AM »
I think we should all be open about other people's speculations seeing as though we're all in the same position. No one knows for sure who it is so we shouldn't be so set in our ways if someone speculates. Expect anything!

Anywhoo, Mangini told us that he's recording in the North Shore (whatever North Shore it may be) but didn't he also tell us the musicians he was working with? If so then I'm not sure if he is with DT. He could simply be near them, or if Deamforever dude's posts are correct, then he could be swapping between bands. Was he seen on his own by the way?

Who knows... I'll still be open to other drummers until DT find a way to tell the public

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3418 on: February 19, 2011, 05:39:09 AM »

I want to believe you, because I have thought Mangini is only great choice for DT about 5 months now. Yes, I really want to believe you.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3419 on: February 19, 2011, 06:36:28 AM »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3420 on: February 19, 2011, 06:39:04 AM »

You just checked this thread.

The emphasis was on the "I don't check this thread TO SEE WHO THE DRUMMER IS" anymore.

Offline Knguro

« Reply #3421 on: February 19, 2011, 06:43:24 AM »
Mannnn this discussion is just childish, what can we do guys just speculate and wait.

PS. Hi James!, want some chilli beans? You know just to eat while watching us discussing....hehe
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3422 on: February 19, 2011, 07:22:40 AM »

Seeing how this is a fairly anonymous place to post, and that's a new account, I can't understand the reluctance to give definitive information.
I'm personally tagging this one as BS.

says the guy with a total of 5 posts  :tup
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline bloop

• The opadismo
  • Mobilizing to contribute to the alliance
« Reply #3423 on: February 19, 2011, 07:35:16 AM »
New drummer is a Mellow Fucking Organ.
Today's sound of the day on my Oasys keyboard here in DT studio land!

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #3424 on: February 19, 2011, 08:19:36 AM »
The new snarling fucking pig! Fuck yeah I wonder what the tunes are gonna be like

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3425 on: February 19, 2011, 08:47:23 AM »
The new snarling fucking pig! Fuck yeah I wonder what the tunes are gonna be like

Fucking mellow.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3426 on: February 19, 2011, 08:56:00 AM »
And I don't need your mellow fuck to get me through the day.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3427 on: February 19, 2011, 09:19:38 AM »
For what it's worth I can confirm that dreams is posting from about 20 minutes away from the studio. This in no way makes certain what he's saying, but he ain't making that part up.

Frankly, with all the evidence ruling other guys out and the several things Mangini has going for him and the fact he left his teaching position I'd be happy wagering a large sum on him.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3428 on: February 19, 2011, 09:23:14 AM »
I think we should all be open about other people's speculations seeing as though we're all in the same position. No one knows for sure who it is so we shouldn't be so set in our ways if someone speculates. Expect anything!

Anywhoo, Mangini told us that he's recording in the North Shore (whatever North Shore it may be) but didn't he also tell us the musicians he was working with? If so then I'm not sure if he is with DT. He could simply be near them, or if Deamforever dude's posts are correct, then he could be swapping between bands. Was he seen on his own by the way?

Who knows... I'll still be open to other drummers until DT find a way to tell the public

The thing is he is not speculating, he is in fact claiming he knows the truth but is not providing real evidence. There have been guys here that have done that before and got banned for it.

As a personal opinion I think having Mangini replace MP is like replacing JP with Yngwie. Great technique but lacks groove.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3429 on: February 19, 2011, 09:26:29 AM »
I'm gonna throw something crazy out there.

Maybe it's possible that this dreamsforever guy is someone close to the band, and thus not able to reveal how or why he knows.