23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1058696 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #3360 on: February 18, 2011, 08:23:54 PM »
Sorry I posted it in the Glen Cove Sound Studios thread. Well now I am posting it in here. The drummer is Mike Mangini. I live 20 minutes from the studio they are recording in.  ;)

REALLY?

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3361 on: February 18, 2011, 08:32:05 PM »
Guys I think DT is waiting for this thread to get to 100 pages until they announce the drummer. GOGOGOGO
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline mittinagus

• Mexican Bad-ass...
  • Matando Güeros!
« Reply #3362 on: February 18, 2011, 08:37:38 PM »
Sorry I posted it in the Glen Cove Sound Studios thread. Well now I am posting it in here. The drummer is Mike Mangini. I live 20 minutes from the studio they are recording in.  ;)

If this is true, how is he any better than Minnemann or Lang?

I just don't understand   :sad: ...

Tin

Offline dreamsforever

« Reply #3363 on: February 18, 2011, 08:38:05 PM »
Yes really. He has been in the studio with them. It wasn't the North Shore of Boston. It was the North Shore of Long Island people. His look has changed slightly. That is all I can say. I think they will announce it very soon.

Offline dreamsforever

« Reply #3364 on: February 18, 2011, 08:40:05 PM »
He's not, but think about it. (1) He has worked with James before, (2) he lives fairly locally, (3) he teaches at Berklee, (4) he is really nice guy, (5) I think everyone will be surprised by his drumming on the new album.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3365 on: February 18, 2011, 08:43:33 PM »
 :D
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3366 on: February 18, 2011, 08:50:31 PM »
Hmmmmmmmmm.....

I don't know if Mangini can handle DT songs, but hey, They know what a good drummer is. They know what theyre doing. The'yre fucking motherfucking DT and know about what skills a drummer has to have tio becomeone of them. I have teh hopes for this guy, and atr least I know he's real fast so thats a goodp oint for him.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3367 on: February 18, 2011, 08:51:49 PM »
If it's true, I can't wait to hear it. Mangini was my first pick, and I never changed my vote.

Also, I refuse to take anyone who cries "the sky is falling" because it wasn't their favorite guy before hearing how it sounds seriously.

From a technical standpoint, though, Mangini is better than Portnoy, so there won't be an issue of pulling off the songs.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3368 on: February 18, 2011, 08:52:37 PM »
He's not, but think about it. (1) He has worked with James before, (2) he lives fairly locally, (3) he teaches at Berklee, (4) he is really nice guy, (5) I think everyone will be surprised by his drumming on the new album.
None of that means that Mangini is the one.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3369 on: February 18, 2011, 08:55:22 PM »

You forgot... (6) the rest of the band decided it was easier to replace MP with another guy named Mike so they wouldn't have to remember a new name for their new drummer. ;)

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline dreamsforever

« Reply #3370 on: February 18, 2011, 09:22:41 PM »
Those weren't my reasons for stating that he is chosen, I was just mentioning other facts about him and DT. He wasn't my first choice either, but remember its the music they write that counts, not the drummer. Yes it adds to overall feel, but in the end the reason we will keep listening is if the songs are good.

Everyone seems to be losing the point here too. We are all very lucky that DT is still making music. With the tremendous changes in the music business of late, its hard enough for bands to record good sounding records and being able to make money playing. I for one am just happy we will be getting another DT record, whoever the drummer is. That's what's important these days. I am a little biased being from Long Island and seeing them at the Malibu in 1992, which was there beginning stages. When you see all the prog boards and forums and everyone saying that DT hasnt made a good record in a decade it bothers me. They talk about all these other mediocre prog/power metal bands, but fro some reason they just don't see DT as relevant anymore. That's BS, they for me started the whole progmetal genre (current genre, not talking about the beginning bands) Sorry to rant, but I wanted to get this off my chest. I am a fan, first and foremost, and am happy that DT is still happy and diving into another record, which in today's world is kinda amazing. Oh, and by the Mike Mangini is still the drummer. James if you are reading this, just announce this already and get everyone excited about the future of DT, since it is to me amazing that you guys are still #1.

Offline unklejman

« Reply #3371 on: February 18, 2011, 09:35:13 PM »
You say you live 20 minutes from the studio... but have you actually seen Mangini going in or out?

Offline dreamsforever

« Reply #3372 on: February 18, 2011, 09:46:05 PM »
Well that is a tricky question. I don't want to say yes because I don't know who is actually reading this board if you catch my drift.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3373 on: February 18, 2011, 09:51:53 PM »
Send us some PMs... no one can read those but the people you send them to.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3374 on: February 18, 2011, 09:58:42 PM »
My menstrual cycle was delayed by a week, which clearly means it's Minnemann. Sorry dreamsforever, my menstrual cycle > you living 20 minutes away from the studio.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline hacko

« Reply #3375 on: February 18, 2011, 10:00:55 PM »
Well that is a tricky question. I don't want to say yes because I don't know who is actually reading this board if you catch my drift.

Seeing how this is a fairly anonymous place to post, and that's a new account, I can't understand the reluctance to give definitive information.
I'm personally tagging this one as BS.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3376 on: February 18, 2011, 10:02:04 PM »
Everything we know has been pointing at Mangini for a long time, so I really don't have a hard time believing dreamsforever.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #3377 on: February 18, 2011, 10:02:18 PM »
LOL .... I'm with rumborak

dreamsforever - shut up.  Seriously.  Either you KNOW IT'S MIKE MANGINI or YOU DON'T KNOW IT'S MIKE MANGINI.  Please don't come onto this forum attention whoring yourself just to make yourself look cool.  

If you have seen him, then just say it.  If you haven't, then just say it.  Otherwise, please keep your mouth shut about it.  No one needs that here.  
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3378 on: February 18, 2011, 10:02:39 PM »

Seeing how this is a fairly anonymous place to post, and that's a new account, I can't understand the reluctance to give definitive information.
I'm personally tagging this one as BS.

Where are these people coming from?

Offline dreamsforever

« Reply #3379 on: February 18, 2011, 10:13:50 PM »
Jeez I saw him. Everyone calm down. I don't understand why everyone is so mad on this board as I am just trying to give information. What's the difference at this point anyway. He was the one most people thought it was anyway. I'm waiting for the next person to say bs, which will happen within 2 posts. I will not say anymore now, since everyone is so friggin pissed for some reason, which I don't understand. Choose to believe me or not, but im telling you that's it's mangini.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #3380 on: February 18, 2011, 10:30:43 PM »
LOL This forum is great fun.

I for one believe dreamsforever. Not only because he said it and sounds legit, but because everything points to him being the one. I've been going back and forth between Mangini and Minneman. Both would be excellent choices. Anyway, it's DT's choice that matters, not mine.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3381 on: February 18, 2011, 10:33:32 PM »
Whether it's Mike or not, I can bet the new drummer has an "M" in his name somewhere!

-Marc.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #3382 on: February 18, 2011, 10:34:49 PM »
Whether it's Mike or not, I can bet the new drummer has an "M" in his name somewhere!

-Marc.

:omg: It's you?
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3383 on: February 18, 2011, 10:36:57 PM »

-Marc.

:omg: It's you?
:angel:

-Marc.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3384 on: February 18, 2011, 10:58:25 PM »
LOL This forum is great fun.

I for one believe dreamsforever. Not only because he said it and sounds legit, but because everything points to him being the one. I've been going back and forth between Mangini and Minneman. Both would be excellent choices. Anyway, it's DT's choice that matters, not mine.

Same here. I don't see why someone would register at the forum just to lie. But I guess everyone's got their own sense of humor.

Offline Yazman

« Reply #3385 on: February 18, 2011, 10:59:57 PM »
Jeez I saw him. Everyone calm down. I don't understand why everyone is so mad on this board as I am just trying to give information. What's the difference at this point anyway. He was the one most people thought it was anyway. I'm waiting for the next person to say bs, which will happen within 2 posts. I will not say anymore now, since everyone is so friggin pissed for some reason, which I don't understand. Choose to believe me or not, but im telling you that's it's mangini.

We get pissed off because we've had an endless stream for over 90 pages now of people coming in and making all sorts of claims and then when pushed for evidence, we find out they have no evidence at all and just made it up, or refuse to say anything about how they know what they're claiming.

90 pages of this shit. It tends to get REALLY FUCKING FRUSTRATING after a while, so I think you can understand why its so goddamn annoying.

At least you say you've seen him then, good, thats fine.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3386 on: February 18, 2011, 11:03:24 PM »
Dreamsforever, I don't believe you because we've had so many other people come in and make the same sort of statements.  Its nothing against you personally because there's really nothing to judge you on, but you'll have to forgive me for being skeptical with your testimony when I don't know you at all.

I personally hope its not Mangini, and if it is, I hope he REALLY steps it up on the next DT instead of going "oh man I can play so fast."  

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3387 on: February 18, 2011, 11:05:02 PM »
It had best be someone with MM as an initial. At work on the basement wall, I wrote Dream Theater and the band member initials. This was before MP's departure. Anyways, back when the Mangini craze first began, I crossed out MP and wrote MM above it.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3388 on: February 18, 2011, 11:25:27 PM »
I personally hope its not Mangini, and if it is, I hope he REALLY steps it up on the next DT instead of going "oh man I can play so fast."  

I just hope people actually wait to hear the new Dream Theater before complaining about how bad the new drummer is. Because honestly, from everything I've seen so far, I have absolutely no reason to believe their won't be a shitstorm as soon as the drummer is announced no matter who it is.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #3389 on: February 18, 2011, 11:36:18 PM »
Yeah it's starting to get PMS (Phantom Menace Syndrome) where it's hyped to the point that no matter what it is, it won't meet expectations.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #3390 on: February 18, 2011, 11:51:55 PM »
Yeah it's starting to get PMS (Phantom Menace Syndrome) where it's hyped to the point that no matter what it is, it won't meet expectations.

Problem with that statement is The Phantom Menace (and the rest of the prequels) were legitimately bad.

Point of proof: NOW THATS WHAT I CALL POD RACING

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #3391 on: February 18, 2011, 11:56:22 PM »

Problem with that statement is The Phantom Menace (and the rest of the prequels) were legitimately bad.

The point is, that had Phantom Menace been the single greatest piece of cinema ever created it still wouldn't have met the expectations it received. It was so hyped up my grandparents went to it for goodness sake.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #3392 on: February 19, 2011, 12:05:09 AM »

The point is, that had Phantom Menace been the single greatest piece of cinema ever created it still wouldn't have met the expectations it received. It was so hyped up my grandparents went to it for goodness sake.

True, but saying it's going to be like The Phantom Menace is still implying its going to be bad overall.

I think a better comparison would be Fable. It was overhyped to shit and back. Game comes out? Sure, it's good. But it's nowhere near what people were expecting or what it was said to be. People hated it at first, there was many a disappointment. But overtime, people have realized it's actually a good game.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #3393 on: February 19, 2011, 12:13:00 AM »

I just hope people actually wait to hear the new Dream Theater before complaining about how bad the new drummer is. Because honestly, from everything I've seen so far, I have absolutely no reason to believe their won't be a shitstorm as soon as the drummer is announced no matter who it is.

Yep. It's a shame because we are sure to get a kick ass new DT album with a new drummer that kicks ass. If anyone should support whoever the new drummer is, it should be those on DTF no?
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3394 on: February 19, 2011, 12:18:36 AM »
hey everyone it's thomas lang lol I have my contacts you'll see ;)