23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1059251 times)

Offline emtee

Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #3325 on: February 18, 2011, 08:14:35 AM »
Though I never even considered him I guess he's just as plausible as any other rumored guy. It would make me think they really
want to forge ahead in full-on-metal mode and moreso than any other drummer mentioned, it would explain the long delay. With
Joey I'd assume there could/would be huge legal complications with Slipknot. Part of me wonders if it would be an upward move
for him considering Slipknot's popularity.

Time will tell. Somebody will be behind the kit in July.

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #3326 on: February 18, 2011, 09:59:12 AM »
El Negro Hernandez!!!

I didn't knew this George Kollias .. he is good

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #3327 on: February 18, 2011, 10:09:16 AM »
I know Charlie Z has said that he didn't audition, but still interesting to note his new drum setup for 2011, which he posted on FaceBook

Would certainly allow him to play a much wider variety of material....

Offline John94

« Reply #3328 on: February 18, 2011, 10:15:47 AM »
He crossed my mind again the other day with the tweet from James. Could Charlie Z be back into the fray for the drummer?

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #3329 on: February 18, 2011, 10:20:43 AM »
I was not under the impression he was ever in it. He just happened to post a few covers on YouTube right around audition time, whether that was an attempt to get an audition or just fun is unknown. He has stated on fb that he was not asked to audition in person.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #3330 on: February 18, 2011, 10:35:30 AM »
Mangini has not been on facebook in ages.  Wonder what he's up to, he always used to be on???

Offline John94

« Reply #3331 on: February 18, 2011, 10:41:35 AM »
Jordan met Eren through youtube so we already are aware of the power that it can have in the modern world.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3332 on: February 18, 2011, 10:45:53 AM »

I've been meaning to comment for awhile but kept forgetting but is there a guitar equivalent to this insanity? I'm not a drummer so I dunno how superfluous any of that stuff is. I'm sure all those things get used at some point but man.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3333 on: February 18, 2011, 11:08:36 AM »
There is the 4 neck guitar from Michael Angelo Batio. I think that's the closest you can get
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #3334 on: February 18, 2011, 11:17:48 AM »
Jordan met Eren through youtube so we already are aware of the power that it can have in the modern world.

charlie Z doesnt need youtube to meet the boys/jordan or show them his chops...he's already drummed with jordan

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3335 on: February 18, 2011, 11:17:58 AM »
Well you can have like 17 bajillion effects and amps for guitar.  Or you can plug guitar straight into amp.  It's like JP's rig vs. Angus young's setup.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #3336 on: February 18, 2011, 11:23:01 AM »
I've been meaning to comment for awhile but kept forgetting but is there a guitar equivalent to this insanity? I'm not a drummer so I dunno how superfluous any of that stuff is. I'm sure all those things get used at some point but man.
Not really sure what you mean by 'a guitar equivalent,' but drums are definately a much more customisable instrument than the guitar. You could hypothetically put almost any object into a drumkit; dustbin lids, wooden poles, a stapler; and someone would find a way to make the sound of hitting them with a stick fit into a song. Mess around too much with the basic format of a guitar and it won't be a guitar any more. The only real innovations you can do with guitars apart from paint flames on them and make them shaped like different letters are to add strings/necks and attach fancy electronics like Matt Bellamy.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #3337 on: February 18, 2011, 11:46:21 AM »

or

:lol

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3338 on: February 18, 2011, 11:48:04 AM »
That guy looks exactly like this guy I see playing in the subway all the time lol
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #3339 on: February 18, 2011, 11:51:40 AM »
Not really sure what you mean by 'a guitar equivalent,' but drums are definately a much more customisable instrument than the guitar. You could hypothetically put almost any object into a drumkit; dustbin lids, wooden poles, a stapler; and someone would find a way to make the sound of hitting them with a stick fit into a song. Mess around too much with the basic format of a guitar and it won't be a guitar any more. The only real innovations you can do with guitars apart from paint flames on them and make them shaped like different letters are to add strings/necks and attach fancy electronics like Matt Bellamy.

Fuck. Now when my friends and I finally really get our band together, there's going to have to be an array of staplers for our drummers kit. I'll be his stapler tech. Just go over in the middle of shows. Check 'em out. Make sure they're in tune. Open 'em, put in some new staples.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3340 on: February 18, 2011, 11:52:33 AM »
That guy looks exactly like this guy I see playing in the subway all the time lol

Isn't that Pat Mentheny?  If so he is an abosulute killer on guitar.  How about Rick Neilson of Cheap Trick with his 5 neck guitar.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #3341 on: February 18, 2011, 11:56:57 AM »

A guitar is a different instrument from a drumset, you can't really compare them.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3342 on: February 18, 2011, 01:18:38 PM »
That's a cool drumset. Terry Bozzio, on the other hand...
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3343 on: February 18, 2011, 01:24:08 PM »
One of the best things I ever saw in concert was Steve Vai playing fever Dream on his triple neck heart shaped guitar. it was just so funny watching his arms twirling about playing all three necks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLY5WkoBo98

A bit off topic. Sorry. But it might well be Mangini on the kit!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3344 on: February 18, 2011, 01:24:50 PM »
That's a cool drumset. Terry Bozzio, on the other hand...

Nothing beats Bozzio's drum kit...

When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #3345 on: February 18, 2011, 01:31:56 PM »
Well you can have like 17 bajillion effects and amps for guitar.  Or you can plug guitar straight into amp.  It's like JP's rig vs. Angus young's setup.

JP gear isn't that bad.. altho compared to angus sure is big!

Offline roccer

« Reply #3346 on: February 18, 2011, 02:11:31 PM »

Not really cool I would say. Seems like a picture from a drumstore or something...

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #3347 on: February 18, 2011, 02:24:15 PM »

Not really cool I would say. Seems like a picture from a drumstore or something...
I guess you haven't heard Bozzio play, each tom is tuned to a note, same with the cymbals and kicks, and he plays it like a melodic rather than percussive instrument

Offline missedthepoint

• Ahh, I see now. Wait, what?
« Reply #3348 on: February 18, 2011, 02:30:06 PM »
Yeah i wish he wouldn't. I wish he'd play, you know, the drums.
And he always has an awful sound too.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3349 on: February 18, 2011, 02:31:09 PM »
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Bozzio as well.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3350 on: February 18, 2011, 02:32:55 PM »

It's not insanity.  Every piece of that kit is conceivably useful in a musical context.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3351 on: February 18, 2011, 02:40:09 PM »
I like Bozzio, especially his work with Tony Levin and Steve Stevens. The two BLS albums are pretty good instrumental progressive rock, almost as good as the two LTE albums, IMO, and Bozzio proves he can play drums as a drummer and not a melodic percussionist. He was also pretty good on the second U.K. album, but the first one can't be beat, especially because of the Bruford/Wetton rhythm section! One of the most unbeatable rhythm sections of all time.

That reminds me, both Bruford and Bozzio have played with Wetton AND Levin... weird how that worked out.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline missedthepoint

• Ahh, I see now. Wait, what?
« Reply #3352 on: February 18, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
I suppose TB did also have some good years with Zappa. Good, solid musical playing. Nothing against that.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3353 on: February 18, 2011, 06:58:48 PM »
That reminds me, both Bruford and Bozzio have played with Wetton AND Levin... weird how that worked out.

Not really.  Seriously, is there a musician alive who hasn't played with Levin?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3354 on: February 18, 2011, 07:00:30 PM »
If we can't change votes anymore the mods should also prune all of the names from Zombie MP downwards.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3355 on: February 18, 2011, 07:19:20 PM »

Not really.  Seriously, is there a musician alive who hasn't played with Levin?
:lol

I suppose you could say he does get around probably more than many other bassists!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #3356 on: February 18, 2011, 07:31:54 PM »
Does that make him the musical call girl of prog?

Offline dreamsforever

« Reply #3357 on: February 18, 2011, 08:15:04 PM »
I guess noboby took my post seriously from pages back. Oh well. When its announced everyone wiill see that I was right.

Offline bloop

• The opadismo
  • Mobilizing to contribute to the alliance
« Reply #3358 on: February 18, 2011, 08:18:15 PM »
I guess noboby took my post seriously from pages back. Oh well. When its announced everyone wiill see that I was right.
:\

Offline dreamsforever

« Reply #3359 on: February 18, 2011, 08:19:24 PM »
Sorry I posted it in the Glen Cove Sound Studios thread. Well now I am posting it in here. The drummer is Mike Mangini. I live 20 minutes from the studio they are recording in.  ;)