23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1059193 times)

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #3185 on: February 15, 2011, 03:46:50 PM »
Priester I think would do "justice" in DT.
LOL
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #3186 on: February 15, 2011, 03:47:25 PM »
yes, that post was oozing with sarcasm.

also: i'm pretty sure priester could handle mike's parts.

also: i'm not sure how any DT fan could be induced to blow chunks upon angra's music hitting his or her ears. Acid Rain might be far from their best song, but it's definitely not that bad. And everything they've released since has had a noticeable shift to being more progmetal-esque than powermetal; as well, said subsequent releases have been more consistent that dream theater's output in recent years.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3187 on: February 15, 2011, 03:50:49 PM »
Really I've known who Priester was for a long time and always thought he was outstanding. Temple of Shadows is pretty insane and in my top albums of all time. Anyways I don't think he is a fit or if so it would be kinda random since although definately proggy at times Angra is more power metal. LOL at thinking he cant play Theater stuff though.

I think Aquiles has the chops for DT.

There's more to playing DT than just playing fast double-bass and fills.
There's also another issue: Priester plays in a band that makes music I hate with a passion. To put it mildly. I just listened to a Youtube video of him drumming a song called "Acid Rain", and beside the drumming being rather average, I had to fight a gag reflex because of the music.

rumborak

I think he is a phenomenal drummer, however I do not like the music either. Some of the Angra stuff is pretty cool though. He could easily pull off DT, he has an awesome Mapex drum set too.

Angra's a great band, but suffers a bit from the double-bass syndrome and that kind of detracts a little from them.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #3188 on: February 15, 2011, 03:55:16 PM »

also: i'm not sure how any DT fan could be induced to blow chunks upon angra's music hitting his or her ears. Acid Rain might be far from their best song, but it's definitely not that bad. And everything they've released since has had a noticeable shift to being more progmetal-esque than powermetal; as well, said subsequent releases have been more consistent that dream theater's output in recent years.
also: not every DT fan is a fan of power/prog metal.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3189 on: February 15, 2011, 04:02:47 PM »
isnt it impossible to be a DT fan and not like progmetal?! cuz, you know, thats what they are.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3190 on: February 15, 2011, 04:03:13 PM »
subsequent releases have been more consistent that dream theater's output in recent years.

Hmmm, I don't know.

Rebirth is cool.
Temple of Shadows is brilliant.
Aurora Consurgens was meh.
Aqua has a couple of interesting tracks, but I think it's boring as a whole.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline theusualmadness

« Reply #3191 on: February 15, 2011, 04:04:09 PM »

also: not every DT fan is a fan of power/prog metal.

I am pretty sure he could play parts that are not power/prog metal. He already does, but most of the his bands as a whole have been power metal, with prog.

Offline theusualmadness

« Reply #3192 on: February 15, 2011, 04:05:36 PM »
isnt it impossible to be a DT fan and not like progmetal?! cuz, you know, thats what they are.

I agree, I love metal and especially prog metal, however DT does a lot more than prog metal.

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #3193 on: February 15, 2011, 04:08:55 PM »
No is not Impossible, I like DT(I like the older stuff better) and I like some bands that could be labeled as progmetal but most of progmetal makes me sick. And Angra is one of them.

Offline theusualmadness

« Reply #3194 on: February 15, 2011, 04:16:02 PM »
No is not Impossible, I like DT(I like the older stuff better) and I like some bands that could be labeled as progmetal but most of progmetal makes me sick. And Angra is one of them.

I do not think you are going to like the new DT album.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3195 on: February 15, 2011, 04:22:30 PM »

trippy. the more i know.
though your avatar looks like a progmetal beast of a keyboardist.

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #3196 on: February 15, 2011, 04:23:32 PM »

Why? if they do another Systematic Chaos I would not like it, BC&SL was a step in the right direction.

trippy. the more i know.

:lol

Offline theusualmadness

« Reply #3197 on: February 15, 2011, 04:26:54 PM »

Why? if they do another Systematic Chaos I would not like it, BC&SL was a step in the right direction.

trippy. the more i know.

:lol

Fair enough, although I enjoyed SC better than BCSL. BCSL is their worst in my opinion. But I like that album a lot too.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3198 on: February 15, 2011, 06:38:20 PM »
I propose a law for DTF, I shall call it Rumborak's Law:

"For any conceivable opinion or album ordering, no matter how unlikely or unreasonable, it is only a question of time before a poster registers with that exact opinion. "

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3199 on: February 15, 2011, 06:42:28 PM »
I have my own law about Dream Theater albums, call it the Law of Perpetual Change if you well.

"All opinions toward albums become more moderate over time, as fans collectively realize that the latest album is not the last."

Personally, I think SC is a good album in retrospect. Better than Black Clouds.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3200 on: February 15, 2011, 06:55:34 PM »
the drummer being on a different label tie up seems plausible to me. anyone remember coheed and cambria's no world for tomorrow album? Chris Pennie joined the band but was not allowed to record due to legal reasons, so taylor hawkins from the foo fighters played on the album instead.

so these things arent impossible

Offline i am fabio

« Reply #3201 on: February 15, 2011, 07:08:09 PM »
Really I've known who Priester was for a long time and always thought he was outstanding. Temple of Shadows is pretty insane and in my top albums of all time. Anyways I don't think he is a fit or if so it would be kinda random since although definately proggy at times Angra is more power metal. LOL at thinking he cant play Theater stuff though.

I think Aquiles has the chops for DT.

There's more to playing DT than just playing fast double-bass and fills.
There's also another issue: Priester plays in a band that makes music I hate with a passion. To put it mildly. I just listened to a Youtube video of him drumming a song called "Acid Rain", and beside the drumming being rather average, I had to fight a gag reflex because of the music.

rumborak

Fair enough. Try the song "Shadow Hunters." If you don't like that then I will concede you just hate everything Angra.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3202 on: February 15, 2011, 07:09:37 PM »
The Shadow Hunter is an incredible song. I concur that if that doesn't click with someone who wants to get into Angra, nothing will.  :lol
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline i am fabio

« Reply #3203 on: February 15, 2011, 07:20:22 PM »
hehe ya pretty much. I love their style on the album. I really like Sprouts Of Time as well. For me the entire album is unreal.

Offline teoevans

« Reply #3204 on: February 15, 2011, 07:24:23 PM »
@Piratecjs (James LaBrie)
" Extenuating circumstances prevail with maintaining the drummer's secrecy. Once revealed it will have been worth the wait and understood. ;-)"

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3205 on: February 15, 2011, 07:26:19 PM »
Cool. They're such a tease  :D
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline dongringo

« Reply #3206 on: February 15, 2011, 07:30:04 PM »
Nice of him to say something about it.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #3207 on: February 15, 2011, 07:34:20 PM »
Maybe it's Watson the IBM computer.

What could they say that would make it "understood"? If it's the behind-the-scenes lawyer battle that people seem convinced about (which I am not) they aren't going to say that in the end.

Maybe they are waiting to release it along with a song so people don't hear and and say "Oh him! That's gonna suck! I won't buy it!" but if they hear something they like it won't matter who it is. I dunno.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3208 on: February 15, 2011, 07:34:41 PM »
Fair enough. Try the song "Shadow Hunters." If you don't like that then I will concede you just hate everything Angra.

I just listened to it. It was alright, but not great.

rumborak

Offline i am fabio

« Reply #3209 on: February 15, 2011, 07:53:49 PM »

I just listened to it. It was alright, but not great.

rumborak

Cool, at least you make the effort and check songs out unlike some snobby prog dudes. Ya if you don't like that song Angra is just not for you.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #3210 on: February 15, 2011, 08:09:22 PM »
I have my own law about Dream Theater albums, call it the Law of Perpetual Change if you well.

"All opinions toward albums become more moderate over time, as fans collectively realize that the latest album is not the last."
Also as those who were alienated by the last album defect, and new fans will by definition be more sympathetic, as they weren't themselves put off by it. This is half the reason that for every band in existence, people hail the older stuff as the best. I remember when Absolution wasn't a patch on OoS. Now The Resistance is out and it's a step down from BHaR, which can't compare to the OoS / Absolution golden age.

Think SC's cracking though. Always have.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3211 on: February 15, 2011, 08:13:48 PM »

Personally, I think SC is a good album in retrospect. Better than Black Clouds.
The Law of Perpetual Change only applies to Perpetual Change.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3212 on: February 15, 2011, 08:14:10 PM »
Since I've been a fan, I've seen ToT ass-raped and then inducted into an album people pretty much all like.

Octavarium, same thing basically. Especially in terms of the title track. At first it was just OK, and now it was DTF's favorite song last year.

Systematic Chaos hasn't been out long enough to really tell, but I think it's pretty obvious that people have started warming up to it.

People went crazy over Black Clouds at first, but it's stale. I'm curious to see where it'll end up in people's rankings a few years from now.

And of course look how people have flipped on Falling Into Infinity. We might as well put it up there with Awake and Images.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3213 on: February 15, 2011, 08:17:47 PM »
ToT is still as unpopular as ever, from my perception.

rumborak

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3214 on: February 15, 2011, 08:23:57 PM »
ToT is still as unpopular as ever, from my perception.

rumborak

I don't remember offhand, but I don't remember people hating on it very much at all when we did that discussion series leading up to BCASL.

Which by the way I hope happens again.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #3215 on: February 16, 2011, 04:30:44 AM »

And of course look how people have flipped on Falling Into Infinity. We might as well put it up there with Awake and Images.

Fixed it for you.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #3216 on: February 16, 2011, 04:31:46 AM »

Not seen this photo before.  How come Paul Northfield is there? I thought Rich Chycki was working with them?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3217 on: February 16, 2011, 04:37:58 AM »
Since I've been a fan, I've seen ToT ass-raped and then inducted into an album people pretty much all like.

Octavarium, same thing basically. Especially in terms of the title track. At first it was just OK, and now it was DTF's favorite song last year.
Come on, Octavarium had always been loved (the song).  I don't ever remember a time when it was "just OK" and I was certainly around when it was released.

For that matter, there was always a loud segment of the fanbase who "ass-raped" TOT, but there has also always been a large segment that loved it.  It was never "ass-raped" by the majority.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3218 on: February 16, 2011, 04:41:00 AM »
Who is that guy in the middle on the picture?
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #3219 on: February 16, 2011, 04:52:03 AM »
Who is that guy in the middle on the picture?
Eren Basbug: He did the explorations thing with Jordan.