23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1059221 times)

Offline jazzfusionrocker

Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #2835 on: February 04, 2011, 05:41:58 AM »
Its gotta be Mangini and hes gotta not be there yet. Why wouldn't they write the parts without him, have him put his spin on them and then rerecord their parts to him? Petrucci is soley producing the record and those guys are more than capable of writing out sketches for the drummer. I am sure that Charlie Zeleny said that he didn't originally get called for an audition initially, but that doesn't mean that he hasn't gotten into the band in the interim. It HAS been months now since they supposedly found a drummer and I am sure they saw the videos on his YouTube and were impressed. He would be a nice fresh new face and have a cool energy to bring to the table that some of the other big guns don't have. It could have happened due to legal issues, money issues or lawsuits pending and having Mangini or another guy fall through and now they just need a guy to jump in full time but be able to interpret crazy drum parts very quickly like he did with Blotted Science with Ron Jarzombek and Behold the Arctopus and even Jordan Rudess. Would be cool, but what would be cooler would be Bobby Jarzombek. Hes the king of Prog IMHO. But still think its gotta be Mangini. Very interesting that Charlie Z joined the musicians union though, thats totally weird and could be a major hint that he wound up getting called in after everyone else to be the guy. Who knows!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2836 on: February 04, 2011, 07:59:52 AM »
I'm sorry, but why do people think the drummer is NOT with them?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2837 on: February 04, 2011, 08:05:33 AM »
Because we so far have zero evidence that he is and it's a logical explanation for why there has been no announcement.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2838 on: February 04, 2011, 08:10:47 AM »

Also because every drummer that has been put as a possible replacement for MP is known to be somewhere else. And I guess everyone is just hoping that the drummer they prefer is just completing some prior commitment before going into the studio with DT (Go Marco)
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #2839 on: February 04, 2011, 08:34:27 AM »

Also because every drummer that has been put as a possible replacement for MP is known to be somewhere else. And I guess everyone is just hoping that the drummer they prefer is just completing some prior commitment before going into the studio with DT (Go Marco)

i wouldnt say EVERY drummer...

Offline Cygnus7874

• Just Chillin
« Reply #2840 on: February 04, 2011, 08:53:37 AM »
To that point, we really haven't discussed other options too much. The discussion, maybe rightly so, has surrounded the list.
So who else?
What about Navene Koperweis from Animals As Leaders. I just got into them recently, and holy crap, that kid can play! I doubt he auditioned as he is on tour and I will be seeing him next week, but he would have been a good choice, and just goes to show you how many qualified drummers there are out there.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2841 on: February 04, 2011, 08:55:33 AM »
I think I saw the new drummer by

<--- teh river
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2842 on: February 04, 2011, 09:15:21 AM »
Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I'm having a hard time believing they are in the studio without the new drummer. I mean, even JLB is there. I would think that they would want to get off to a fresh start as a band without fragmented participation of each member. That's how it used to be, and I think the band is most excited about really operating together this time out.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2843 on: February 04, 2011, 09:29:23 AM »
If we didn't know JR was in China for part of January, would we all assume from JP's update that when he mentions "our first month", he'd have meant the WHOLE band, drummer included?

Knowing JR wasn't there the whole time, and possibly JLB, we can't be too sure if the drummer was present, but there are plenty of strong points for each side of this. I think they're being smart not revealing whether or not their new drummer is present because then someone would definitely be scoping out the studio by now.

I can picture it - to sneak out the new drummer, the band give him a jacket and pizza-bag and hat to walk out of the studio with, and anyone watching would think it was just someone delivering pizza! Genius!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2844 on: February 04, 2011, 09:32:58 AM »
If we didn't know JR was in China for part of January, would we all assume from JP's update that when he mentions "our first month", he'd have meant the WHOLE band, drummer included?

Knowing JR wasn't there the whole time, and possibly JLB, we can't be too sure if the drummer was present, but there are plenty of strong points for each side of this. I think they're being smart not revealing whether or not their new drummer is present because then someone would definitely be scoping out the studio by now.

I can picture it - to sneak out the new drummer, the band give him a jacket and pizza-bag and hat to walk out of the studio with, and anyone watching would think it was just someone delivering pizza! Genius!

-Marc.

Pizza guy is too obvious. Give him a long black wig, sun glasses, and a kimono. Have him carry out a bass every day.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2845 on: February 04, 2011, 09:37:35 AM »
Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I'm having a hard time believing they are in the studio without the new drummer. I mean, even JLB is there. I would think that they would want to get off to a fresh start as a band without fragmented participation of each member. That's how it used to be, and I think the band is most excited about really operating together this time out.
While I agree it would be ideal for the drummer to be in the studio for the whole writing process, there are tons of reasons why he might not be. The studio was already booked, so financially, it wouldn't make sense to delay. Perhaps the new drummer had previous obligations with other bands to attend to before going into the studio. Perhaps legal reasons make it impossible for him to be there yet. Perhaps the rest of the guys in the band want to write the album without him. We really don't know what's going on or what everyone is thinking. While you and I might think it's ideal for the drummer to be there, we are not in the band. Perhaps they have other thoughts on the matter. We'll figure it all out sooner or later and we can laugh at all the silly speculation.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2846 on: February 04, 2011, 10:46:28 AM »
Even i don't know who he is yet, i'm already starting to hate him.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #2847 on: February 04, 2011, 11:04:25 AM »
Why? It's not like the drummer said "Hey no hold on don't announce who I am. Make them wait." If anything hate the management and/or the label.

Or, if you prefer, "don't hate the player, hate the game."

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2848 on: February 04, 2011, 11:12:05 AM »
While I agree it would be ideal for the drummer to be in the studio for the whole writing process, there are tons of reasons why he might not be. The studio was already booked, so financially, it wouldn't make sense to delay. Perhaps the new drummer had previous obligations with other bands to attend to before going into the studio. Perhaps legal reasons make it impossible for him to be there yet. Perhaps the rest of the guys in the band want to write the album without him. We really don't know what's going on or what everyone is thinking. While you and I might think it's ideal for the drummer to be there, we are not in the band. Perhaps they have other thoughts on the matter. We'll figure it all out sooner or later and we can laugh at all the silly speculation.

But then they could have done that with(out) MP. Seems they would be in the same boat- drummer with commitments elsewhere.

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #2849 on: February 04, 2011, 11:21:22 AM »

But then they could have done that with(out) MP. Seems they would be in the same boat- drummer with commitments elsewhere.

on second thought, no, its not the same. MP wanted to take a year off or more, not just a few weeks to wrap up another project. he wanted a major hiatus...

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2850 on: February 04, 2011, 11:31:47 AM »

on second thought, no, its not the same. MP wanted to take a year off or more, not just a few weeks to wrap up another project. he wanted a major hiatus...

If you believe that. Personally i think he wanted to stay out longer with A7X, or at least wanted the break he should have been having in 2010, as we've discussed ad infinitum. No proof of course, just my take on a situation I have no way of knowing anything about.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #2851 on: February 04, 2011, 11:49:22 AM »
so...dont take portnoy's word?!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2852 on: February 04, 2011, 11:59:45 AM »
I think it's without question that MP had hoped to have his contract extended for the rest of the A7X tour. The fact that they dumped him halfway into their tour is rather telling IMHO.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #2853 on: February 04, 2011, 12:25:17 PM »
Yeah he even said in that interview he would be carrying on into 2011 with them...probably A7X didn't even know about that and he thought they would.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2854 on: February 04, 2011, 02:13:09 PM »
I'm 99.9% sure that had nothing to do with him wanting to put DT on hiatus though. He wanted to continue with A7X, naturally, but that was after all the stuff with DT went down.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MemoryScenes

« Reply #2855 on: February 04, 2011, 05:03:34 PM »
I believe the exact phrasing was MP proposed a 'indefinite hiatus'.
So about this new guy...

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #2856 on: February 04, 2011, 05:36:08 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL-WUkKEobY

Rumor has it this guy's in a strong running to be the new drummer.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2857 on: February 04, 2011, 05:40:32 PM »

He seems like a talented young man. :)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2858 on: February 04, 2011, 05:57:32 PM »

I just watched 6 different JB drum solos... they were all the same.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2859 on: February 04, 2011, 06:16:04 PM »
I fail to see the significance in Justin Bieber drum solos. Is he supposed to be good at drumming?

rumborak

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2860 on: February 04, 2011, 06:26:06 PM »

I don't understand what's going on with you lately.  Have you been taking happy pills?  hahaha   ;D
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #2861 on: February 04, 2011, 06:37:28 PM »
I fail to see the significance in Justin Bieber drum solos. Is he supposed to be good at drumming?

rumborak

He's bad at everything. But the media touts him as the new king of music or some shit.

I just watched 6 different JB drum solos... they were all the same.

>shitty pattern
>shitty fill
>same shitty pattern
>same shitty fill
>same shitty pattern
>same shitty fill
>same shitty pattern
>same shitty fill
>throw sticks
MY HANDS HURT

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2862 on: February 04, 2011, 11:58:40 PM »
Justin Bieber on drums? So that's how they solve the backing vocals problem! :lol

Offline jsem

« Reply #2863 on: February 05, 2011, 07:44:11 AM »
Justin Bieber on drums? So that's how they solve the backing vocals problem! :lol
:neverusethis:

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2864 on: February 05, 2011, 08:14:24 AM »

rumborak

I think it's because people actually just assume he's another barely talented kid that the labels swooped up.

Actually, the labels found him because of all the amazing stuff he was doing before he had anything to do with them.

Offline TL

« Reply #2865 on: February 05, 2011, 08:46:08 AM »

I don't understand what's going on with you lately.  Have you been taking happy pills?  hahaha   ;D
The nice men in the white coats finally paid him a visit.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2866 on: February 05, 2011, 09:25:39 AM »
GUYS

I had a dream last night. I was browsing the Internet and somebody posted in the DTF Facebook page: "Minnemann it is!" and people were discussing it and saying whether it was good or not. Then I rushed to DTF (It's the first time in my life that I actually dream with DTF) and saw that bösk posted a sticky that said "OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT - MARCO MINNEMANN ELECTED" or something like that, and saw that DT had posted on their page that Marco Minnemann was chosen as the new DT drummer. People were excited, some were dissappointed, but there were a lot of Portnoy jokes.

IT WAS SO FUCKING REAL

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2867 on: February 05, 2011, 09:33:29 AM »

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2868 on: February 05, 2011, 09:39:04 AM »
Well I do remember that both you and Gadough were unhappy with the decision :lol

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #2869 on: February 05, 2011, 03:25:30 PM »
Blabbermouth says: "DREAM THEATER has yet to officially announce its new drummer despite the fact that the band has been rehearsing with one candidate exclusively since last fall."

That pisses me off when they say stuff like that, it's probably true, but they have no source for that at all. If they do have a source, then they should at least say "according to a source" so at the very least they're weak on proper journalistic practices.