23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1059025 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #2625 on: January 26, 2011, 09:55:50 AM »
So, considering all of this is possible we are kind of back to square 1 right? I mean, it is still possible that Minnemann or Mangini got the gig but they are fulfilling previous commitments?

Yup. It could be still be any of those guys.

In fact, anybody who is currently not doing anything is actually less likely to be the guy.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2626 on: January 26, 2011, 09:59:16 AM »
So, considering all of this is possible we are kind of back to square 1 right? I mean, it is still possible that Minnemann or Mangini got the gig but they are fulfilling previous commitments?

IMO, Minnemann is NOT still a possibility.  We've gotten as close to a definitive "no" as we possibly could on him.  Others, maybe.  But, again, we don't KNOW one way or the other whether the drummer is even in the studio.  He may very well be.  We're just assuming he isn't because the band hasn't said he is.  But given that the band is trying to avoid discussing drummer issues until they announce who it is, it is not suprising that they haven't mentioned whether or not he is with them.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2627 on: January 26, 2011, 10:10:10 AM »
The reason why I'm thinking the drummer is joining later is because I find it so exceedingly unlikely that they would work with the guy in the studio, but make no announcement and take pictures of everybody but the guy. What possible reason could there be? I can only think of one, that there's no drummer in the studio.

rumborak

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2628 on: January 26, 2011, 10:17:33 AM »
If they can't announce it yet, for the reasons already stated, then of course they wouldn't take pictures of him.  And the other few pics we've seen are random individual shots.  It's not like they've taken group studio pics and pasted a black bar over where a drummer would be.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2629 on: January 26, 2011, 10:33:34 AM »
The other factor is, if they actually had the drummer come in on a daily basis, even if DT won't talk about it, that stuff would just have to leak. It only takes the pizza guy to get a quick glance at him or whatever.
Just like with conspiracy theories, I find the easiest explanation is most likely the best.

rumborak

Offline Raziel666

• Infinite Moonloops
« Reply #2630 on: January 26, 2011, 10:35:51 AM »
IMO, Minnemann is NOT still a possibility.  We've gotten as close to a definitive "no" as we possibly could on him.

Did Minnemann say so himself and I missed something? Or is this coming from the guy in the band he's gonna record drums for?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2631 on: January 26, 2011, 10:36:41 AM »
But since there is no conspiracy, the easiest explanation is simply that nobody has said anything because either (1) they know how to follow instructions and not say anything, and/or (2) they simply don't care who the new drummer is.  Sure, it's more fun to imagine undercover ninja spy pizza guys actually coming into the studio instead of the more common scenario of the pizza guy leaving the pizza at the front desk, but at some point we have to just acknowledge the fact that if we're going down that road, we're just making things up.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2632 on: January 26, 2011, 10:41:08 AM »
But since there is no conspiracy, the easiest explanation is simply that nobody has said anything because either (1) they know how to follow instructions and not say anything, and/or (2) they simply don't care who the new drummer is.

Well, the "conspiracy" part here would be that yes, there has been a drummer coming in and leaving the studio for the last two weeks but
a) he's been held out of the public eye completely
b) DT doesn't talk about it
c) the studio staff doesn't leak

The "easier" explanation IMHO is, only the drummer, DT and management actually know who he is, but he is currently busy with other stuff.

rumborak

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2633 on: January 26, 2011, 10:47:27 AM »
a) he's been held out of the public eye completely

Easy.  Recording studios are fairly private environments, which is why we DON'T typically see tons of photos, videos, and recordings hit the press every time popular band X goes into a recording studio somewhere. 

b) DT doesn't talk about it

Easy again.  We know for certain that they know and they they don't talk about it.

c) the studio staff doesn't leak

Once again, easy.  Studio staff understand that they aren't supposed to leak information.  Otherwise, again, you'd have studio staff all over the place taking pics, video, and audio recordings and selling them to the highest bidder every time a popular band went into the studio.  And yet, it never happens.  (well, almost never) 

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2634 on: January 26, 2011, 10:50:23 AM »
It's not like they've taken group studio pics and pasted a black bar over where a drummer would be.

Although that would be hilarious.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Aquiles

« Reply #2635 on: January 26, 2011, 10:55:08 AM »
hi guys.  i just wanted to say to you all i am not in studio now.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #2636 on: January 26, 2011, 10:56:41 AM »
  :rollin

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2637 on: January 26, 2011, 11:02:35 AM »
The "easier" explanation IMHO is, only the drummer, DT and management actually know who he is, but he is currently busy with other stuff.

rumborak

That is also what I think.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2638 on: January 26, 2011, 11:09:07 AM »

What about now? It's 10 minutes later!!

rumborak

Offline Aquiles

« Reply #2639 on: January 26, 2011, 11:13:47 AM »
no.  but i can not vouch for charlie dominici's whereabouts.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2640 on: January 26, 2011, 11:18:30 AM »
Well, Charlie has been standing outside the studio doors for every album, we all know that.

rumborak

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2641 on: January 26, 2011, 12:04:17 PM »
Well, Charlie has been standing outside the studio doors for every album, we all know that.

rumborak

:lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2642 on: January 26, 2011, 12:07:24 PM »
Anyone down for camping outside the studio and trying to sneak a peak?

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #2643 on: January 26, 2011, 12:10:43 PM »
My seven possible "world class drummers" are:

Marco Minnemann
Thomas Lang
John Macaluso
Virgil Donati
Glen Sobel (for those who doesn't know, check out Tony Macalpine's "Madness")
Kevin Soffera (for those who doesn't know, check out Greg Howe's "Instropection")
Gary Wallis (secondary percussionist for Pink Floyd in the post-Waters era for live performances)

Morgenstein, Bozzio, Smith, Bissonette, Anur, Phillips... Are awesome but too old for the band.
Castronovo, Peart, Garrison... 1st class too, but wouldn't leave their bands.
I don't like Mike Mangini. Don't ask me why.
And Meg White is... Meg White.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 12:21:13 PM by JediKnight1969 »
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline roccer

« Reply #2644 on: January 26, 2011, 12:17:14 PM »
Meg would be awesome  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2645 on: January 26, 2011, 12:35:36 PM »
Maybe the new drummer is entering and leaving the studio dressed as the ninja pizza guy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2646 on: January 26, 2011, 12:39:48 PM »
I have not been authorized to confirm nor deny that assertion.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #2647 on: January 26, 2011, 12:56:09 PM »
And yet you acknowledge it.

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #2648 on: January 26, 2011, 01:04:10 PM »
Maybe the new drummer is entering and leaving the studio dressed as the ninja pizza guy.

he's been entering and leaving the studio dressed as a taco bell delivery guy with a fake mustache and mexican hat.

P.S. Be careful.. he is wearing water pistols filled with mustard and if he sees you taking pictures of him to post here in the forum (to confirm he is the new drummer) he will shoot into your camera lenses.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 01:09:26 PM by jdprsaga »

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2649 on: January 26, 2011, 01:14:48 PM »
The reason why I'm thinking the drummer is joining later is because I find it so exceedingly unlikely that they would work with the guy in the studio, but make no announcement and take pictures of everybody but the guy. What possible reason could there be? I can only think of one, that there's no drummer in the studio.

rumborak
Maybe they don't want to post any picture of the guy in studio and just wait until the DVD of all the seven who auditioned is ready. They might be saving the hype for when the album is released.

Picture it: we don't know who the guy is, so DT along with RR plan to record the album without releasing the name of the drummer. Once the album is finished and the DVD is ready they release the product to the public. Hundreds and thousands buy the album, they see the process of selection, they see the new drummer. They next listen to the album. Profit!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2650 on: January 26, 2011, 01:21:12 PM »
Frankly, I don't think that "drummer DVD" is happening. Those things were MP stuff.

rumborak

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2651 on: January 26, 2011, 01:23:00 PM »
Frankly, I don't think that "drummer DVD" is happening. Those thing were MP stuff.

I asked this earlier in the thread but I don't think my question was answered. Was the idea of such a DVD just wishful thinking, or was there actually any basis to it? I have a vague feeling it was the latter but I'm probably just crazy.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2652 on: January 26, 2011, 01:24:15 PM »
Why would JLB or JP have said that then? If the "drummer DVD" is not happening or wasn't remarkably possible to do they should have stayed quiet and after the release of DT11 say something like: "Yeah, we did consider that... but it didn't happen. You know, the guy who used to do that is not with us anymore. lol."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2653 on: January 26, 2011, 01:25:51 PM »
Was there any public statement by any member regarding that DVD? So far I was under the impression that this whole idea was born out of wishful thinking.

rumborak

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2654 on: January 26, 2011, 01:28:09 PM »
I know that it is somewhere between these 76 pages.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2655 on: January 26, 2011, 01:28:52 PM »
So far I was under the impression that this whole idea was born out of wishful thinking.

rumborak

My recollection is that you are correct.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #2656 on: January 26, 2011, 01:32:00 PM »
Was there any public statement by any member regarding that DVD? So far I was under the impression that this whole idea was born out of wishful thinking.

rumborak

I think it was a SteveTheater rumour along with the drummer auditionees.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2657 on: January 26, 2011, 01:39:59 PM »
Love it. ITT one can witness the slow transition from an idea to a rumor to a supposed fact. :lol

rumborak

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2658 on: January 26, 2011, 01:41:35 PM »
"Slow?"  There are pages where you see the complete transformation within about 5 posts.  :lol

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #2659 on: January 26, 2011, 01:43:36 PM »
You're saying that Dave Weckl is the new drummer?
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.