23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1058833 times)

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #2555 on: January 24, 2011, 01:07:32 PM »
Yeah, we've known that for quite some time, but apparently that doesn't mean anything.

I really don't want it to be manginni :(!!! altho if they choose him i'll support them.

Same here. Nothing in what I've seen from Mangini has kept me interested : technical, fast...and that's all! Will i support them nevertheless? Don't know.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2556 on: January 24, 2011, 01:09:51 PM »
Yeah, we've known that for quite some time, but apparently that doesn't mean anything.

I really don't want it to be manginni :(!!! altho if they choose him i'll support them.

Same here. Nothing in what I've seen from Mangini has kept me interested : technical, fast...and that's all! Will i support them nevertheless? Don't know.

B.Lee

You wouldn't suport a band it they get a drummer you don't like even if you've followed them all your life?  Makes no sense.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Raziel666

• Infinite Moonloops
« Reply #2557 on: January 24, 2011, 02:05:41 PM »
The whole 'who's the drummer thing' reminds me more and more of Harper's Island. Each episode you think you'd found out who the killer was, and the person you thought as the killer would die in the next episode.

This is the case here. When everything points to a certain person, he gets a gig with some unknown band or is at another place or has programmed other things for 2011 or...

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2558 on: January 24, 2011, 02:16:47 PM »
I'm thinking the Other category looks pretty good right about now.  I have a feeling the original list really was not reliable.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2559 on: January 24, 2011, 02:19:15 PM »
Which one of the guys used to play drums when they did their Nightmare Cinema thing? I predict it's him.

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #2560 on: January 24, 2011, 02:21:20 PM »
Petrucci on drums

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2561 on: January 24, 2011, 02:25:49 PM »

B.Lee

You wouldn't suport a band it they get a drummer you don't like even if you've followed them all your life?  Makes no sense.

Agreed i just dont understand comments like this
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #2562 on: January 24, 2011, 02:36:42 PM »
The longer it goes with no announcement the more I have a feeling that it's going to be something more complicated than "Bob Smith is our new drummer." Like they'll have a touring guy and a studio guy, or multiple guys that they're working with for both, or something computerized.

I don't know how the whole industry works, but if they picked a guy a month and a half ago and they want to tell everyone who it is, what could the label possibly delaying the announcement this long for?

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #2563 on: January 24, 2011, 02:43:27 PM »
The longer it goes with no announcement the more I have a feeling that it's going to be something more complicated than "Bob Smith is our new drummer." Like they'll have a touring guy and a studio guy, or multiple guys that they're working with for both, or something computerized.

I don't know how the whole industry works, but if they picked a guy a month and a half ago and they want to tell everyone who it is, what could the label possibly delaying the announcement this long for?
I can see two options. (not that i'm right)

1. A lawsuit from MP about royalties and name
2. A work visa permit which usually takes 3 - 4 months.. if USA deny the visa he can't be the new drummer

PS. even if he doesn't have a work visa permit approved yet... he does can be in the USA in the studio making demos with a tourist visa.

Offline oh8wrx

• The Sassy Lass from Sassafrass
  • I'm a hoot & a half.
« Reply #2564 on: January 24, 2011, 02:49:11 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as royalties for the DT name, if there are at least 3 founding members still present in the band, there is no lawsuit at hand.  I heard this somewhere, but can't remember where.  Anyone else know if this is right??
Beer: the cause of AND solution to all of life's problems.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2565 on: January 24, 2011, 02:52:56 PM »
What I don't get wkiml, is the hard stance when we haven't heard one note from the new CD. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2566 on: January 24, 2011, 02:53:59 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as royalties for the DT name, if there are at least 3 founding members still present in the band, there is no lawsuit at hand.  I heard this somewhere, but can't remember where.  Anyone else know if this is right??
Possibly... but there are only two, nowadays.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2567 on: January 24, 2011, 02:55:04 PM »
1. A lawsuit from MP about royalties and name
2. A work visa permit which usually takes 3 - 4 months.. if USA deny the visa he can't be the new drummer

Wrong on both counts, as has been thoroughly discussed earlier in the thread.

Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as royalties for the DT name, if there are at least 3 founding members still present in the band, there is no lawsuit at hand.  I heard this somewhere, but can't remember where.  Anyone else know if this is right??

I'm not sure exactly what you have in mind that you might have heard, but I can tell you for certain that there is no lawsuit.  Once you file a suit, it is public record, so there would be no debate if a lawsuit had actually been filed.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline oh8wrx

• The Sassy Lass from Sassafrass
  • I'm a hoot & a half.
« Reply #2568 on: January 24, 2011, 02:58:07 PM »
i know there's no lawsuit, just mentioning that there is some law about band names and such and i thought it was that if there were 3 founding members still in the band then the name stays or something like that.  in no way am i suggesting there is one or will be.  just wanted to know if anyone knew anything about this.  plus, IF it were to happen, MP quit on his own accord, how can he really sue for royalties or bc of the name??
Beer: the cause of AND solution to all of life's problems.

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #2569 on: January 24, 2011, 02:59:02 PM »

Well.. i'm just speculating, is not that i know about the business or something. altho it could be that the name was brought by mike's dad. or maybe mike is not happy about the royalties % they want to pay him for the material when he was a member (air play, sells etc) of any of the previous albums. or he wants some of the royalties when the band play one of his songs live.. i don't know.

Offline MemoryScenes

« Reply #2570 on: January 24, 2011, 05:46:37 PM »
TL to announce some drumming boot camp dates.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see this was already discussed.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 07:41:14 PM by MemoryScenes »

Offline commanderbob

« Reply #2571 on: January 24, 2011, 09:27:09 PM »
2 Founding members left.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2572 on: January 25, 2011, 01:54:26 AM »

B.Lee

You wouldn't suport a band it they get a drummer you don't like even if you've followed them all your life?  Makes no sense.

It makes perfect sense : I didn't like the last 3 albums. What got me interested again is the fact that MP left. Now, if they get a drummer I'm not interested in in the least, I don't see why I will still support them. And no, I've not followed them all my life, too old for that! :)
As of late, I've been much more interested in JLB's solo career.
B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2573 on: January 25, 2011, 01:55:43 AM »

B.Lee

Agreed i just dont understand comments like this

See my answer above, it makes perefct sense to me.

B.Lee

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2574 on: January 25, 2011, 02:00:44 AM »
What makes even more sense is you have no idea whether the drummer is the right one until you hear him with the band. What counts is not the name or what the drummer did previously, but what magic happens when that drummer gets behind the kit and jams with the guys.

Offline Aquila Chrysaetos

« Reply #2575 on: January 25, 2011, 03:08:55 AM »
What makes even more sense is you have no idea whether the drummer is the right one until you hear him with the band. What counts is not the name or what the drummer did previously, but what magic happens when that drummer gets behind the kit and jams with the guys.
Very true. Very true indeed.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2576 on: January 25, 2011, 04:22:24 AM »
Very well said Joe. I'm still pretty excited about a new album, whoever the drummer is.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2577 on: January 25, 2011, 04:27:21 AM »
I'm still pretty excited about a new album, whoever the drummer is.
This exactly.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2578 on: January 25, 2011, 05:03:46 AM »
I'm gonna give them a chance before making any judgement and listen to the album, I'm not that square-minded. Yet, I'm less excited when i think of Mangini as the new drumer.

B.Lee

Offline majo

« Reply #2579 on: January 25, 2011, 05:17:38 AM »
Arrrrgh. Agghh.

You guys, I can't take this anymore, this is bullcrap.
I'm going to freeze myself, someone has to unfreeze me 3 months from now when the new drummer is out.
... or is not.  ;D
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2580 on: January 25, 2011, 06:38:17 AM »
Arrrrgh. Agghh.

I'm going to freeze myself, someone has to unfreeze me 3 months from now when the new drummer is out.
... or is not.  ;D

not :'(    ;D

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #2581 on: January 25, 2011, 09:05:05 AM »
Arrrrgh. Agghh.

... or is not.  ;D

not :'(    ;D

Science help us...

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2582 on: January 25, 2011, 09:05:27 AM »
I guess now that the obvious opportunity of announcement, the Tarrytown gig, has passed, the time window for it is essentially infinite. Meaning, it could be weeks or months from now on.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2583 on: January 25, 2011, 09:09:50 AM »
Yeah when people suggested they'd wait until a song was released, I thought it ridiculous, but it's starting to look possible.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Stoneyman

« Reply #2584 on: January 25, 2011, 10:24:04 AM »
We need to get someone in DT to slip and confirm that the new drummer is or isnt in the studio yet.

That would be pretty telling at this point.

My guess is that the new guy isnt there yet for some reason.  Just a feeling.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2585 on: January 25, 2011, 10:41:15 AM »
I am not in the studio.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline teoevans

« Reply #2586 on: January 25, 2011, 11:05:22 AM »
We need to get someone in DT to slip and confirm that the new drummer is or isnt in the studio yet.

That would be pretty telling at this point.

My guess is that the new guy isnt there yet for some reason.  Just a feeling.

Pretty sure that the drummer is not in the studio.... there is no way that they can hide a face for 3 or 4 months.... They are just working on the songs until the drummer joins the studio and hopefully we can get an official announcement!

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2587 on: January 25, 2011, 11:19:13 AM »
I still really doubt they'd write an album and go into the studio and work on it without having a drummer present.  Really doubt it that the drummer wouldn't be in on the sessions.  The drums are kind of a big part of the music.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2588 on: January 25, 2011, 11:22:13 AM »
DT are probably just getting warmed up in the studio if the drummer isn't there yet. If he is there, then obviously they probably feeling his style out and they're jamming.

I also think it's a longshot that they're writing music without him. Did they not say, before or after the auditions, that their criteria for choosing the drummer was more than "he should be able to play MP's parts from all the releases so far"?

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2589 on: January 25, 2011, 11:36:50 AM »
It's definitely possible that the guys are just getting some ideas for riffs and lyrics down before the drummer comes into the studio, at which point they'll start constructing the full songs. I hope the drummer is there, jamming with the guys, but I would not be surprised in the least if he isn't.