23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1058407 times)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #2415 on: January 20, 2011, 08:33:08 AM »
I think that one of the guys should upload a sound clip of the new drummer playing something and just say, "Hey, here is the new guy. Take a guess" Just to tease everyone.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline JasonScandopolous

« Reply #2416 on: January 20, 2011, 08:44:13 AM »
I think that one of the guys should upload a sound clip of the new drummer playing something and just say, "Hey, here is the new guy. Take a guess" Just to tease everyone.

Yeah, take a 30 second clip of the band jamming or something (without showing the drummer)... then we on the forums could analyze the clip for weeks, comparing what the drummer played to the entire bodies of work of all possible drumming candidates... "Hey that fill sounds like this fill at 5:44 that Lang played at a show in 1998 (youtube link)"  etc... a playground for the obsessed and OCD would be born, and hours more of pointless debate could be created.

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #2417 on: January 20, 2011, 08:48:09 AM »
I'll let the cat outta the bag....   the new drummer is:

Errr......

Already did that joke too.

rumborak

Missed that one... my bad.
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2418 on: January 20, 2011, 08:57:36 AM »

Yeah, take a 30 second clip of the band jamming or something (without showing the drummer)... then we on the forums could analyze the clip for weeks, comparing what the drummer played to the entire bodies of work of all possible drumming candidates... "Hey that fill sounds like this fill at 5:44 that Lang played at a show in 1998 (youtube link)"  etc... a playground for the obsessed and OCD would be born, and hours more of pointless debate could be created.

Sounds like a cool idea!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline unklejman

« Reply #2419 on: January 20, 2011, 08:58:48 AM »
So I had a dream last night where Rudess told me that it was not Marco Minnemann. Welp I guess we can rule him out.

I guess all fingers point to Weckl now.

Offline kennedymichael

« Reply #2420 on: January 20, 2011, 09:27:59 AM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2421 on: January 20, 2011, 09:30:43 AM »
Ironic perhaps, but not unexpected since A7X has none of the legal issues to work through that DT has. 

What strikes me as more ironic is the fact that their new guy was formerly in a "Christian" band.  Yeah, that'll be a good match.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Voyage 34

« Reply #2422 on: January 20, 2011, 10:17:44 AM »
What strikes me as more ironic is the fact that their new guy was formerly in a "Christian" band.  Yeah, that'll be a good match.

God Hates Us isn't the most Christian song I suppose...
"Thank you god...for making me an atheist."
                                                --Ricky Gervais

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2423 on: January 20, 2011, 10:39:45 AM »

At least there would be something real to debate. Imagine what can be done with some proof if we got 70 pages with only speculation. I would just love to see DTF going crazy on that.  :D
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2424 on: January 20, 2011, 10:56:59 AM »
I bet it will end up being no one any of us has ever heard of...

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2425 on: January 20, 2011, 11:06:41 AM »
Something tells me MP isn't going to like the "Portnoy was dismissed in December" line.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #2426 on: January 20, 2011, 11:30:35 AM »
Ironic perhaps, but not unexpected since A7X has none of the legal issues to work through that DT has. 

What legal issues? I don't think that was ever clearly explained

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2427 on: January 20, 2011, 11:35:57 AM »
Well, the "legal issues" has morphed itself into the highest-ranking explanation for the lacking announcement. I don't think there's particularly much evidence that it is the main reason, and I am personally not convinced that it is.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #2428 on: January 20, 2011, 11:38:10 AM »
So what it is? I really don't understand what the delay is. JP should just tell us what's going on. It would give most of us peace of mind, I think

Offline John94

« Reply #2429 on: January 20, 2011, 11:57:24 AM »
What is the likelihood of an announcement on Sunday during the show? As the encore.

Sounds nice and pleasant.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2430 on: January 20, 2011, 11:59:32 AM »

What strikes me as more ironic is the fact that their new guy was formerly in a "Christian" band.  Yeah, that'll be a good match.

What legal issues? I don't think that was ever clearly explained

No, there hasn't been a detailed official explanation.  But myself and several others who have posted in the thread who have explained things based on either (1) working knowledge of the music industry or (2) working knowledge of the legal profession (or both).  The band is a legal entity (likely a corporation).  The bandmembers are owners of all kinds of different legal rights and are managers of that entity.  Transitioning one member/owner out sounds like a simle process, but it isn't.  It is time-consuming and is very involved.  Likely, there is a lot of negotiating over all of these various rights, and the band is likely following the likely advice they are getting from the label and their legal advisors that they should not say anything yet because doing so could undermine parts of the negotiations and the finalizing of all the legal steps that need to occur.  It doesn't necessarily mean things are headed toward a lawsuit.  But these things just take a long time.  And given my own everyday experience in the legal profession, the amount of time that has elapsed so far is typical and is nothing out of the ordinary whatsoever.  Others I have spoken to who again have either the legal or industry background agree.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2431 on: January 20, 2011, 12:10:52 PM »

No, there hasn't been a detailed official explanation.  But myself and several others who have posted in the thread who have explained things based on either (1) working knowledge of the music industry or (2) working knowledge of the legal profession (or both).  The band is a legal entity (likely a corporation).  The bandmembers are owners of all kinds of different legal rights and are managers of that entity.  Transitioning one member/owner out sounds like a simle process, but it isn't.  It is time-consuming and is very involved.  Likely, there is a lot of negotiating over all of these various rights, and the band is likely following the likely advice they are getting from the label and their legal advisors that they should not say anything yet because doing so could undermine parts of the negotiations and the finalizing of all the legal steps that need to occur.  It doesn't necessarily mean things are headed toward a lawsuit.  But these things just take a long time.  And given my own everyday experience in the legal profession, the amount of time that has elapsed so far is typical and is nothing out of the ordinary whatsoever.  Others I have spoken to who again have either the legal or industry background agree.

bosk1 is absolutely correct. To be very honest, if they announce the drummer this month, that is incredibly fast, and means (to the contrary of what some folks think) that there weren't very many legal obstacles separating Mike Portnoy legally from the band and coming to an agreement on business aspects of things.

This stuff takes time.

Like bosk, I have law degree, and I also know people and have some experience in the music industry (not a ton, but enough to know how this all works). A guy can "join" a band overnight. But legally working it out and restructuring the business aspects can take months and months and months. Add to that fact that the holidays were here as well, and this has gone fast, all things considered.

Remember, when you're a band at DT's level, this isn't just a band starting out where folks all have other jobs and its a fun thing. This is a business. Every band is a business. The more successful you are, and the longer the band has been around, it means there is a ton more legalities and business affairs to take care of.

So for any of you that are looking into this whole thing and coming up with explanations why it has taken "so long," trust me (and bosk and everyone else who is saying this), all things considered, this is a relatively SHORT time to get everything in order. It doesn't mean there is a lawsuit pending or anything. This stuff just takes time and when you are dealing with the legal process, the music industry, and the fact that Dream Theater is the livelihood of all the people involved, the longer it can take.

So rest easy folks. It's likely all about just getting things agreed upon and signed between multiple parties (DT, Portnoy, the new guy, etc.) and signed-off on by those parties' representation.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2432 on: January 20, 2011, 12:27:33 PM »
All good points Sam and Bosk..

Besides, you'd have to think that the band is just as antsy to announce the news. I'm sure it's killing them to hold the secret. But I am totally amazed that there hasn't been a leak. That's incredible.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stoneyman

« Reply #2433 on: January 20, 2011, 12:37:30 PM »
Good points.

Plus, maybe the new drummer isnt legally part of DT yet.

Offline roccer

« Reply #2434 on: January 20, 2011, 12:39:38 PM »
What I don't get is why the assumed legal issuses have to be resolved before making an announcement.  I mean, I don't think they would be breaking any law if they let us know the name beforehand, right?  ??? DT is not the only well-known band that is going through a member change but I never heard of such a situation before.

Offline Voyage 34

« Reply #2435 on: January 20, 2011, 12:54:17 PM »
It's not that they would be breaking the law, it's that they don't want to announce the new guy until after all of the details are hammered out so they don't have to turn around and say never mind if that falls through.
"Thank you god...for making me an atheist."
                                                --Ricky Gervais

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2436 on: January 20, 2011, 01:31:07 PM »
*LAWYERED!*
That sounds great and all but I think everyone wants to believe that we're just gonna know the name of the drummer once the album is done and in our hands, and read the credits by our selves (for those of us who know how to read -the others will just see the pictures).
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 02:58:51 PM by emindead »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2437 on: January 20, 2011, 01:58:34 PM »
It's not that they would be breaking the law, it's that they don't want to announce the new guy until after all of the details are hammered out so they don't have to turn around and say never mind if that falls through.

This.

Plus, until "the ink is dry" on any and all business and legal arrangements, things are fluid. Things can always change. So better to take the time, make sure everything is done, and done correctly and all parties are satisfied, instead of rushing because fans want to know a name.

I get the fan angle, and trust me, I'm as eager to know as most Dream Theater fans.

But the reality is, this stuff takes time.

One thing is for certain, the band is making music and is in the studio. So if you really need to know *right now* hop in the car (or for non-NYers, jump on a plane) and hang out around the studio. You'll see whoever it is and you can report back.

It is AMAZING this has not been leaked yet. SOMEONE must have seen this dude. lol. C'mon DTF, go on a stakeout and get the answer.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2438 on: January 20, 2011, 02:00:11 PM »
bosk, Samsara,

that's all true, but not all information is equal in this regard. And especially the information about who is the drummer seems fairly independent from the MP's exit negotiations. I could see how MP's negotiations are long and arduous, but the signing of a replacement drummer is a very different thing.

It is AMAZING this has not been leaked yet. SOMEONE must have seen this dude.

Unless there is none.

rumborak
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 02:05:53 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2439 on: January 20, 2011, 02:06:28 PM »
I see your point, rumby, but there's also just the emotional/psychological component of the negotiation process.  The DT camp probably wants to stay as low-key as possible for as long as possible so that something isn't publicly said or done that changes the negotiation dynamic on the other side.  I'm grossly oversimplifying things here, but let's say they have to negotiate points A, B, C, D, and E to finalize everything with Mike.  B ends up being a really difficult issue that takes a long-time to hammer out, but after some time has passed, both sides calm way down concede enough to reach a tentative agreement on B.  Then they move on to C.  Then D.  Then before they get that last issue wrapped up, they announce the drummer, and some stuff is said that makes Mike mad.  Then he says some stuff that makes the DT camp mad.  Then the deal gets hung up.  Then somebody says, "yeah, well given what's going on, this changes everything, and I'm not happy about B anymore, so that's off."  And then you're just back to square one.  Again, that's a gross oversimplification, but that's the kind of thing that happens all the time.

Offline Knguro

« Reply #2440 on: January 20, 2011, 02:09:17 PM »
Ok hi all newbie here, vote 62 for TL!  :metal
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2441 on: January 20, 2011, 02:11:35 PM »
Well, since your email address is tom@thomaslang.com, I guess that seals the deal.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2442 on: January 20, 2011, 02:12:43 PM »
Well, since your email address is tom@thomaslang.com, I guess that seals the deal.

:rollin

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2443 on: January 20, 2011, 02:22:45 PM »
I wonder if they're having fun waiting it out, because of how anxious the fans are. But as I said I hope its someone not listed here just to see how u all react.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2444 on: January 20, 2011, 02:27:21 PM »
I wonder if they're having fun waiting it out, because of how anxious the fans are. But as I said I hope its someone not listed here just to see how u all react.

People keep skipping over the fact that bosk1 has been buying tons of drums and drum-related devices. He may be the chosen one!  Or not...

Offline Aquiles

« Reply #2445 on: January 20, 2011, 02:28:45 PM »
hi everyone.  i just wanted to say i am not the new drummer for dream theater.  I did not even heard of dream theater until someone ask me am i new drummer.  sorry to disappoint you all.  keep it metal.

AP

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2446 on: January 20, 2011, 02:33:49 PM »
Thanks.

Offline Knguro

« Reply #2447 on: January 20, 2011, 02:34:45 PM »

Waaahahah :rollin
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #2448 on: January 20, 2011, 02:57:17 PM »

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2449 on: January 20, 2011, 03:10:53 PM »
One thing is for certain, the band is making music and is in the studio.