23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1058735 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #2065 on: January 15, 2011, 04:48:40 AM »
Well it's been a great ride, attracting a lot of attention to the band and accumulating much interest in the music world. I'm now starting to think that the drummer won't be revealed until somewhere between the finishing of recording and the release of the album, as to maximize interest in the band and ultimately increase sales (From RRs perspective at least). I think having two things to look forward too, the drummer and the album, is more exciting for fans than just waiting for the inevitable release of the album. Unfortunately for me, this prediction won't keep me from checking this thread everyday for updates... *sigh*

Well, I was excited a few weeks ago but that's turned to annoyance now. I just want to know who it is so I can get on with my life. And yes, it shouldn't be that big a deal for me but it is. I have an unhealthy love for this band and it's music which obviously borders on obsession and it appears that I'm not alone in that, certainly not around these parts.
So JP, if you're reading this, just tell me who it is. I promise I won't tell anyone.

And as a seperate note, I was wondering if TL was growing his hair (as if that would be an indicaor of his getting the job) but it appears not.
https://yfrog.com/gz96wfhj

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2066 on: January 15, 2011, 05:01:32 AM »
I just don't care anymore.  All I care about is that they have a guy they are happy with an we get a new album mid/late this year.  I don't care who it is.  I really could wait until the day of the albums release, it really doesn't matter.

Even if we knew now, what difference would it make, we still get to hear the album the same time when it's completed and released.

Look, it's DT, four talented guys, we shouldn't worry who the drummer is, I'm sure they picked someone worthwhile.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Nt-II

« Reply #2067 on: January 15, 2011, 05:03:19 AM »
its actually Chris Maitland, because no one picked him and they wanted it to be a big surprise :D

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2068 on: January 15, 2011, 05:19:59 AM »
Well, I was excited a few weeks ago but that's turned to annoyance now. I just want to know who it is so I can get on with my life. And yes, it shouldn't be that big a deal for me but it is. I have an unhealthy love for this band and it's music which obviously borders on obsession and it appears that I'm not alone in that, certainly not around these parts.
So JP, if you're reading this, just tell me who it is. I promise I won't tell anyone.

And as a seperate note, I was wondering if TL was growing his hair (as if that would be an indicaor of his getting the job) but it appears not.
https://yfrog.com/gz96wfhj

I still don't get all the Thomas Lang speculation. We have no indication whatsoever that he even auditioned. And yet every time we hear something like, for example, one of the other contenders might be busy with something that's not DT next spring there's a handful of people making statements like "whelp yup i guess that means lang got the job  :metal :metal :metal"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2069 on: January 15, 2011, 05:21:52 AM »
I still don't get all the Thomas Lang speculation. We have no indication whatsoever that he even auditioned.
I know one of his students personally, who told me straight from the horse's mouth that he auditioned.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2070 on: January 15, 2011, 05:57:42 AM »
Thomas Lang is the shit.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2071 on: January 15, 2011, 08:37:12 AM »
I'm hoping that the Explorations concert will bring some news. At first I figured "why would it?" But then I realized that James doesn't just fly down from Canada for anything. Sure I guess Dream Theater will all be in the studio by that point so James is probably here anyway but we'll see.

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2072 on: January 15, 2011, 09:44:46 AM »

Offline LKap13

« Reply #2073 on: January 15, 2011, 10:08:18 AM »
meh

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #2074 on: January 15, 2011, 10:54:03 AM »
Though I don't think Lang is the drummer Dream Theater should get now, and I don't particularly like him, he would at least be a million times better than Mangini.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #2075 on: January 15, 2011, 11:37:36 AM »
Yea I haven't enjoyed Lang's or Mangini's stuff at all. I was also very turned off by Minnemann's performance alongside Rudess.
On the other hand, Macaluso seems to play some cool things, but my favorite candidate so far has been Priester (check out PsychOctopus). Still, I'm hoping that the new DT drummer will be someone we haven't talked much about...

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2076 on: January 15, 2011, 02:05:04 PM »
I for one don't like Priester, at least not from what I've seen. Total wall of sound, his playing. I would love a drummer in DT who could bring in some dynamics, because that's what prog thrives on.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2077 on: January 15, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
I for one don't like Priester, at least not from what I've seen. Total wall of sound, his playing. I would love a drummer in DT who could bring in some dynamics, because that's what prog thrives on.

rumborak

I must say that he is the only name that I've seen mentioned that, if it turned out to be him, I would be a little worried.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #2078 on: January 15, 2011, 02:23:34 PM »
While I agree that most of Priester's work wouldn't go well with DT, that one video that I keep mentioning shows me that he's capable of playing "the right way". I dunno, his playing on PsychOctopus just feels very fresh and original, and that's certainly tough for a drummer to encapsulate these days.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #2079 on: January 15, 2011, 02:51:59 PM »
Charlie Z. Although I was stunned when I read that he did the Blotted Science album, I still think he totally shouldn't be the one.

As for all the others, I don't care anymore.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Leorimus

« Reply #2080 on: January 15, 2011, 03:02:17 PM »
By the way... from all the pics that Thomas has posted from NAMM, that story about his fractured foot seems to be a lot of bs, unless of course he has Wolverine's healing factor!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2081 on: January 15, 2011, 04:16:17 PM »
By the way... from all the pics that Thomas has posted from NAMM, that story about his fractured foot seems to be a lot of bs, unless of course he has Wolverine's healing factor!

It wouldn't surprise me if he did.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ice9ine

« Reply #2082 on: January 15, 2011, 06:13:17 PM »
Maybe they don't know what a drummer is.They want him for a posession, something to look at like a painting or an ivory box. Something to own and display. They don't want him to be real, or to think, or to live.They don't love him. But we love him. We want him to have his own thoughts and ideas and feelings even when we find out who the fuck it is.

This is our last chance.
I crossed the crooked step.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2083 on: January 15, 2011, 06:23:34 PM »

rumborak

I must say that he is the only name that I've seen mentioned that, if it turned out to be him, I would be a little worried.
You'd be happy with Lars Ulrich? :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2084 on: January 15, 2011, 06:36:40 PM »

rumborak

The only thing worse than a Brit is a Mexican Brit.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2085 on: January 15, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »

rumborak

The only thing worse than a Brit is a Mexican Brit.
:biggrin:

Hey, at least my avatar doesn't remind people of the abomination that is Batman & Robin.

I be am boner inducing.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2086 on: January 15, 2011, 07:26:28 PM »
I'd like to restate that the drummer is 99% set to be Bill Brasky.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mittinagus

• Mexican Bad-ass...
  • Matando Güeros!
« Reply #2087 on: January 15, 2011, 07:41:57 PM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2088 on: January 15, 2011, 07:46:58 PM »
Phillips is amazing, but I'm not sure he is a good fit.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2089 on: January 15, 2011, 08:59:08 PM »
My friend was thinking... maybe the new drummer is the Stig ???
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Major Thirteenth

• He has his father's eyes... Gomez, take those out of his mouth.
« Reply #2090 on: January 15, 2011, 09:00:22 PM »
Right now, I don't think there's a problem with the new drummer.

I think the main problem right now is legalities with MP - royalties, if he is going to be bought out, if he wants the guys to use Dream Theater as a name, Official bootlegs (keep in mind, the Official Boots are a big part of DT's income and MP has all of the DT recordings). Again, I'm only speculating but MP could even sue for the band's name because he (his father) came up with the name.

Even if the band "left MP with the doors open" to "come back", there's a whole bunch of money that's going to be made when DT releases the album, tours, sells merch, and the new batch of official bootlegs come out (especially the last 3) so this has to be sorted out in a way that neither DT (band) or MP get screwed. Each party will argue what's (how much) corresponds to what and negotiate.

In my opinion this is a reasonably accurate depiction of current events. I believe there are intense legal differences between the camps, and while nothing is presently being litigated, intense negotiations and demands are circulating to hopefully arrive at a settlement without the finality of litigation.

It is also my opinion that a "choosing the drummer" video is in production, and to name the drummer now would be a spoiler for the video.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #2091 on: January 15, 2011, 09:08:48 PM »

It is also my opinion that a "choosing the drummer" video is in production, and to name the drummer now would be a spoiler for the video.

I've been thinking/hoping this for a while. My scenario involved an in-studio video in which we get our first glimpse of the new guy. Crossing my fingers that you're right, and that we get it in the next few weeks!

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2092 on: January 15, 2011, 09:32:45 PM »
i would love to see the band jamming one of their old songs and then the camera would point to the new drummer playing along. would be pretty cool

Offline Voyage 34

« Reply #2093 on: January 15, 2011, 09:54:15 PM »
Maybe they don't know what a drummer is.They want him for a posession, something to look at like a painting or an ivory box. Something to own and display. They don't want him to be real, or to think, or to live.They don't love him. But we love him. We want him to have his own thoughts and ideas and feelings even when we find out who the fuck it is.

This is our last chance.
:rollin
Dude, this cracked me the hell up.

I'm getting more and more in the I don't care boat. I just want the new album so I can inspect whats really important: the music. I don't care who it is, I just want to see the quality of DT's music with this change.
"Thank you god...for making me an atheist."
                                                --Ricky Gervais

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #2094 on: January 15, 2011, 10:26:11 PM »
This is our last chance.
:rollin :rollin :rollin

"Space Hi-Hat"

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2095 on: January 16, 2011, 12:33:55 AM »
I wish the new drummer had been announced already. I don't care anymore...  :sad:
This is our last chance.
:rollin :rollin :rollin

"Space Hi-Hat"
:lol :rollin

Offline TL

« Reply #2096 on: January 16, 2011, 01:08:12 AM »
My friend was thinking... maybe the new drummer is the Stig ???
Some say he's able to play paradiddles with his feet, and that he can play in the very elusive time signature of 15/63. All we know is, he's called the Stig!

Offline Raziel666

• Infinite Moonloops
« Reply #2097 on: January 16, 2011, 01:18:45 AM »
If Marco was the drummer, would MP be that happy to take a photo with him?

https://twitpic.com/3qik9d

Edit: Hadn't realised MM is that tall!!!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #2098 on: January 16, 2011, 02:21:10 AM »
If Marco was the drummer, would MP be that happy to take a photo with him?

https://twitpic.com/3qik9d

Edit: Hadn't realised MM is that tall!!!

Does MP even know who was chosen?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2099 on: January 16, 2011, 05:32:24 AM »
I'd like to restate that the drummer is 99% set to be Bill Brasky.
Well you're wrong, and so is everyone else.

It's actually Slater from Saved By The Bell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jJcEtUzA6A

I be am boner inducing.