23 (8.2%)
Derek Roddy
2 (0.7%)
Aquiles Priester
4 (1.4%)
emindead
21 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 271

Author Topic: Place your bets again - DT's next top model.  (Read 1058986 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Place your bets - DT's new drummer.
« Reply #2030 on: January 14, 2011, 02:44:12 PM »
Conclusions so far....(Options)

- DT has no drummer and they are trying to hide this info....
- DT lost their candidate during negotiations
- Still negotiating.....?????
- They have a totally unexpected or non-popular drummer
- Thomas Lang????

Except no to all of these except the possibility that its Thomas Lang.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2031 on: January 14, 2011, 03:10:37 PM »
I love how we have phases here.

1st phase: Mike Portnoy is coming back!
What actually happened: The band declined his offer to come back because they had already chosen the new one.

2nd phase: Mike Mangini will be the drummer!
What really happened: He's going to play with another band and has recorded his "best drumming" with this other band.

3rd phase: Marco Minnemann will be the new drummer!
What happened: Blabbermouth confirmed, though not exactly, the news based on no source. Then we get the news that Minnemann will play the drums with some other guys that some of us have never heard before. DTFans lose the idea that Marco will be the new drummer, though they hold to a small miracle.

4th phase: Thomas Lang will be the new drummer!
What is going on: So... he hasn't been discussed in a while, and some of the sources of the friend of a friend who's neighbour with Newman -the mail-man- have not ruled Lang out. Automatically he becomes the most likely drummer to join DT. So congratulations to Lang... for now.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #2032 on: January 14, 2011, 03:49:02 PM »
I wonder how many pages this thread will actually get to before we know who the drummer is  :-\

Offline mittinagus

• Mexican Bad-ass...
  • Matando Güeros!
« Reply #2033 on: January 14, 2011, 04:22:38 PM »
I wonder how many pages this thread will actually get to before we know who the drummer is  :-\

Its like knowing how many licks it takes before you get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop.

I guess we have to ask the owl... ;)

Tin

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #2034 on: January 14, 2011, 04:25:41 PM »
I just changed my vote to "other" because Aquiles Priester wasn't in the list. . .

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2035 on: January 14, 2011, 04:26:25 PM »
I guess we have to ask the owl... ;)

Tin

I asked him, and he said "Dream who?"

Offline MemoryScenes

« Reply #2036 on: January 14, 2011, 04:36:33 PM »
I love how we have phases here.

1st phase: Mike Portnoy is coming back!
What actually happened: The band declined his offer to come back because they had already chosen the new one.

2nd phase: Mike Mangini will be the drummer!
What really happened: He's going to play with another band and has recorded his "best drumming" with this other band.

3rd phase: Marco Minnemann will be the new drummer!
What happened: Blabbermouth confirmed, though not exactly, the news based on no source. Then we get the news that Minnemann will play the drums with some other guys that some of us have never heard before. DTFans lose the idea that Marco will be the new drummer, though they hold to a small miracle.

4th phase: Thomas Lang will be the new drummer!
What is going on: So... he hasn't been discussed in a while, and some of the sources of the friend of a friend who's neighbour with Newman -the mail-man- have not ruled Lang out. Automatically he becomes the most likely drummer to join DT. So congratulations to Lang... for now.

You forgot the "it's looking like Charlie Z" phase. Right after he made that misleading post on fb, and posted the YouTube audition songs. We'll call it the .5 phase.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2037 on: January 14, 2011, 04:54:12 PM »
I'll call it the allegedly phase.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2038 on: January 14, 2011, 06:00:19 PM »
I'm too wondering whether something went wrong in the process. And they're probably in the studio because they had rented the space a long time ago.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #2039 on: January 14, 2011, 06:18:26 PM »
I'm too wondering whether something went wrong in the process. And they're probably in the studio because they had rented the space a long time ago.

rumborak

Indeed, clearly this is the end of DT!

It truly is a sad day for Dream Theater and fans. Surely we will all cry ourselves to sleep due to how sad the end is.

A band with such a long history, such potential... such... energy! Powah!

:'(

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2040 on: January 14, 2011, 06:18:56 PM »

rumborak

It truly is a sad day for Dream Theater and fans. Surely we will all cry ourselves to sleep due to how sad the end is.

wat
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #2041 on: January 14, 2011, 06:22:22 PM »

rumborak

wat

Isn't that the next phase;D

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2042 on: January 14, 2011, 08:11:17 PM »
It's amazing how the votes have changed over the months. First, Lang and Kevin Moore had the lead, and Charlie Z had a brief moment at the top too. When Mangini was suspected, he rose up, and now Minnemann is the one who's leading. Who's next, Aquiles Priester?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2043 on: January 14, 2011, 08:24:42 PM »
Who's next, Aquiles Priester?

Banned.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2044 on: January 14, 2011, 09:47:41 PM »
Right now, I don't think there's a problem with the new drummer.

I think the main problem right now is legalities with MP - royalties, if he is going to be bought out, if he wants the guys to use Dream Theater as a name, Official bootlegs (keep in mind, the Official Boots are a big part of DT's income and MP has all of the DT recordings). Again, I'm only speculating but MP could even sue for the band's name because he (his father) came up with the name.

Even if the band "left MP with the doors open" to "come back", there's a whole bunch of money that's going to be made when DT releases the album, tours, sells merch, and the new batch of official bootlegs come out (especially the last 3) so this has to be sorted out in a way that neither DT (band) or MP get screwed. Each party will argue what's (how much) corresponds to what and negotiate.

Offline teoevans

« Reply #2045 on: January 14, 2011, 09:48:59 PM »
Can't believe that they have been rehearsing with this guy for months and we have not a single clue about his identity...no one...not even the pizza guy, mailman, paperboy, lawyer assistant, family, family, friends, enemies or MP has given a single piece of information....

Not even Wikileaks!

Offline Tunnel Vision

« Reply #2046 on: January 14, 2011, 09:54:53 PM »
Do you guys really think MP would be a person that would sue DT? I honestly don't think MP would even think about suing DT...

Offline TL

« Reply #2047 on: January 14, 2011, 09:57:37 PM »
I like to think the one guy who voted for Ted Kirkpatrick is still holding out hope.

Online Adami

« Reply #2048 on: January 14, 2011, 10:00:16 PM »
I have it on good authority that the new drummer is none other than Bill Brasky.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2049 on: January 14, 2011, 10:03:51 PM »
Do you guys really think MP would be a person that would sue DT? I honestly don't think MP would even think about suing DT...

All it takes is a souring of the relationships, and what used to be "inseparable buddies" become plaintiff and defendant.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2050 on: January 14, 2011, 10:14:35 PM »

All it takes is a souring of the relationships, and what used to be "inseparable buddies" become plaintiff and defendant.

rumborak

I wouldn't be surprised if MP sued for the name and maybe he will use the threat to get more leverage on negotiations. This was MP's main source of income so he's gotta get the most out of it while he still can.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2051 on: January 14, 2011, 10:24:59 PM »
Holy crap guys, they are waiting for the go-ahead from RR. What's with the baseless speculation?

Online Adami

« Reply #2052 on: January 14, 2011, 10:27:51 PM »
Holy crap guys, they are waiting for the go-ahead from RR. What's with the baseless speculation?

I know a guy, who knows a guy, who once needed a lawyer for something. And he said MP is suing them for the rights to all of the drum parts, so that the new guy couldn't play any beat/fill/time signature that MP did. He's also suing them for balls and something else, forgot what.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2053 on: January 14, 2011, 10:31:50 PM »

This.  If MP was suing, or was subpoenaing them, he would have said something about it online, or the DT guys would have, or it would become a matter of public record that everyone could know about! 

Online Adami

« Reply #2054 on: January 14, 2011, 10:33:09 PM »
Then why the hell is RR taking so long? They know it's just hurting them.

Or at least they should.

Taking months and months to find the guy is one thing. But announcing that they picked someone, and then just never telling us was a terrible idea.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ekuban

« Reply #2055 on: January 14, 2011, 11:12:56 PM »
If Mike is the cause of any hold up he should be ashamed. He left the band after their last tour, pretty much overnight to join Avenged on their tour. He then told DT he wanted a break for a while lol. Like a year or so. So did he just expect James, John, John and Jordan to say "alright we will just hang out and spend some time with the family, maybe take a nice long vacation and start making money again when and if you deem its right to come back and start rehearsing Mike" Negative.

He left, he wasnt booted, the band wanted him. So they had to get a new drummer to replace Mike. Done.

I can not see how Mike could come back after all that and try and sue or legally mess with the band. No way it works that way.

It would be like me leaving my UBS for a better banking job elsewhere, then it not working out and losing my new job. Then turning around and suing UBS for compensation. Even if I was the initial owner(s) of that company, I dont see how that would fly. You leave your done period. Bye Mike. It was your self absorbed decision and not DTs. Now get drummin elsewhere.

Online Adami

« Reply #2056 on: January 14, 2011, 11:15:39 PM »
I don't think Mike is actually suing them, but no it wouldn't be like quitting your job and then suing them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2057 on: January 14, 2011, 11:29:07 PM »
The album is already recorded... They recorded a back up album during the SC and BC&SL sessions... They havent found a new drummer yet...

what the hell am I talking about?

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #2058 on: January 14, 2011, 11:35:39 PM »
I like to think the one guy who voted for Ted Kirkpatrick is still holding out hope.
I love Ted Kirkpatrick (and Tourniquet), but I didn't vote for him because this thread was supposed to be about who we really thought would get the job.  I would have been shocked for TK to even get an audition, much less the actual job.  Don't really know how he even got in the poll.  On a related note, he just finished a Kickstarter campaign for a new Tourniquet album. 

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2059 on: January 15, 2011, 12:10:32 AM »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #2060 on: January 15, 2011, 12:16:48 AM »
Well it's been a great ride, attracting a lot of attention to the band and accumulating much interest in the music world. I'm now starting to think that the drummer won't be revealed until somewhere between the finishing of recording and the release of the album, as to maximize interest in the band and ultimately increase sales (From RRs perspective at least). I think having two things to look forward too, the drummer and the album, is more exciting for fans than just waiting for the inevitable release of the album. Unfortunately for me, this prediction won't keep me from checking this thread everyday for updates... *sigh*

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #2061 on: January 15, 2011, 12:19:48 AM »
Yes, it's getting a bit frustrating now. But if even DT themselves aren't able to change their management's mind...
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Online Adami

« Reply #2062 on: January 15, 2011, 12:42:07 AM »
I wonder if they'll stop playing ACOS anymore.

I hope not, it's the one song I want to see them play that I haven't yet.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2063 on: January 15, 2011, 02:37:50 AM »
I think the main problem right now is legalities with MP - royalties, if he is going to be bought out, if he wants the guys to use Dream Theater as a name, Official bootlegs (keep in mind, the Official Boots are a big part of DT's income and MP has all of the DT recordings). Again, I'm only speculating but MP could even sue for the band's name because he (his father) came up with the name.

Even if the band "left MP with the doors open" to "come back", there's a whole bunch of money that's going to be made when DT releases the album, tours, sells merch, and the new batch of official bootlegs come out (especially the last 3) so this has to be sorted out in a way that neither DT (band) or MP get screwed. Each party will argue what's (how much) corresponds to what and negotiate.
This particular kind of speculation isn't helpful, unless there is some kind of evidence for it - which there isn't.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2064 on: January 15, 2011, 03:39:46 AM »
I really curious as to where this idea that Mike's trying to inhibit DT via a lawsuit originated from. Do I think the relationship between Mike and Dream Theater is in a good place now? Not at all. But we've seen nothing at all which suggest this 'lawsuit' scenario.